JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Desire and Spiritual Life

Q5. (Matthew 5:27-30) The spirit of our age is very accepting and approving of lus+ According to Jesus' words, how seriously are we to take lus+? How does agape love help us combat lus+?

We must seriously remove the sources that causes us to lusṯ outside the context of marriage. Jesus used hyperbole in order to make His point on the gravity of this matter.

Instead of lusṯ, agape love must be allowed to reign in our hearts. Without the love of Christ in our hearts and the empowerment of the Holy Spirit, the battle over lusṯ

cannot be won. Prayers without ceasing is very effective in keeping us from the deception of and entrapment by lusṯ.

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q5. (Matthew 5:27-30) The spirit of our age is very accepting and approving of **** According to Jesus' words, how seriously are we to take ****? How does agape love help us combat ****?

"If it itches, scratch it". During the 60's, that 'saw' and many like it were common language. We were the 'love' generation. Unfortunately, we also were a big force as the 'disease' generation.

****, in todays world, is just a word which most have turned into a joke or made meaningless. Better put would be the question: "How seriously do we take AIDS, STD's, fatherless children, single-mom homes, drugs, alcohol, ignorance, illiteracy, violence and a total disconnect within our society?" That list is definately longer and I do take it quite seriously. We are the light - how many dark corners can I shine into?

Agape love is the quiet prayer "Lord, let me see them with YOUR eyes." Agape disconnects from **** and allows us to SEE another person within - for what is not on the surface.

• 7 months later...

Q5. (Matthew 5:27-30) The spirit of our age is very accepting and approving of lus+ According to Jesus' words, how seriously are we to take lus+? How does agape love help us combat lus+?

The spirit of our age is very accepting and approving of lus+ According to Jesus' words, how seriously are we to take lus+?

Very seriously !!! In Jesus' exact words: "But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart." (Matthew 5:28) We are to look at ALL others with pure agape love, and YES Jesus means people of the opposite sex as well! We are all brothers and sisters and should treat each other as family. We ARE family. Agape love is pure, it is a deep respectful love and concern for others and it does not include lus+.. Agape love is the way God loves us and we must exemplify it. We can never let lus+ get a grip on our hearts, It is fire, if it starts we must stomp it out quickly before it spreads! Lus+ in our heart is the same as the flesh. And it is as destructive as fire-fire and brimstone!

Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous;

love does not brag and is not arrogant, does not act unbecomingly;

it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered,

does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth;

bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Love never fails...But now faith, hope, love, abide these three; but the greatest of these is love.

1 Corinthians 13:4-7,13

• 1 month later...

Q5. (Matthew 5:27-30)

The spirit of our age is very accepting and approving of ****. According to Jesus' words, how seriously are we to take ****?

According to Jesus' words; we should take **** as sin itself.

How does agape love help us combat ****?

Agape love help us to combat **** as we will see women as our sisters; thus we will not have intimate desires to such women.

• 1 month later...

It might be a sign of our times that in this age we associate **** with sex. I looked up the original Greek which I usually do not do because I'm not learned that way. The intended word seems to be more generally 'covet'. Yearn, desire, and thirst are all common similar words.

The broader context means more to me. Anything of this world that consumes our thoughts and desires, diminishes our view of God and takes His place for a time.

Interesting how this study has attuned my listening lately. Last night on the Christian radio station someone used the term 'transformation of affections'. Seems this is a familiar concept but it just had new meaning for me. A prayer: 'Lord transform my affections from things of this world to You.'

I envy those who have come to the point in their lives where they **** after the Lord and His ways.

• 1 year later...

Jesus gave us two commandments which if obeyed cover all 10 commandments.  Love the Lord Your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all you mind and Love your neighbor as yourself. I feel if we obey these two commandments we will look on others with the respect they deserve and not as a piece of meat.  We are all brothers and sisters in Christ.  Respect and love and the world would be a better place.  A little idealistic but I believe true.  I try to treat everyone I meet the way I would want to be treated.  I feel better about myself.

• 1 year later...

We are to be proactive when dealing with ****. Use safeguards to keep our thoughts pure.  **** can ruin our spiritual life and our relationships.  Don't flirt with ****, but nip it in the bud.  Agape love looks at the opposite sex with brotherly or sisterly love.  We see them as people, not as objects for sexual pleasure.

• 1 month later...
The spirit of our age is very accepting and approving of lus+ According to Jesus' words, how seriously are we to take lus+? How does agape love help us combat lus+? 

Jesus wants us to take his words very seriously, for in his words there is life.  Agape love helps us combat **** as the more we love God, the false love fades away.

• 3 months later...

We are to take **** very seriously. For **** is actually a sin of the heart. It can cause a lot of hardship for all people concerned. To realize that we are to love everyone as God sees them, is a blessing from God. It helps us to train our hearts and eyes. God knows that we are weak and He is giving us an easier way to cope.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
On 12/19/2007 at 10:12 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Very seriously, don't view it as the world view's it.

It help's us realize that they are people after God's own heart.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Matth5:28 But I tell you that everyone who looks upon a woman to **** after her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

So according to Jesus' words **** is akin to adultery, which is sin. 

According to 2Tim2:22 , flee from youthful desires; instead pursue righteousness, faithfulness, love and shal, with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart.

1 Thess 4:3-8 This is the will of God .... abstain  from sexual immorality .... gain control over your body in holiness and honor ... for God did not call us to impurity but in holiness.

1 Timothy 5:1+2 Never speak harshly to an older man, but appeal to Him as to a father, to younger men as brothers, to older women as mothers, younger women as sisters - with complete purity.

So agape love is pure love and not selfish. We can refer to 1 Cor 13 and there we read about what love is and verse 5 states love does not behave inappropriately

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q5. Desire and Spiritual Life