JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Joined as One Flesh

Q2. (Matthew 19:4-6 quoting Genesis 2:24)

Do people need to be Christians to be joined as one flesh?

People needd not to be Christians to be joined as one flesh. This unity has nothing to do with church or religion.

Is this making into "one flesh" accomplished by a religious ceremony or by natural law?

This making into "one flesh" is accomplished by natural law - God instituted this unity.

Of those who have entered into a first marriage, what percentage do you think have been "joined together" by God, according to Jesus' statement in Matthew 19:6?

I think the have been "joined together" 100%.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When a man and a woman are married they do not need to be a Christian to be joined as one flesh.  The marriage joins them. This ceremony can be a civil or a religious ceremony.  The percentage of those in their first marriage joined together by God and let man not separate is difficult for me.  I had intended my first marriage to be forever and I was married in the church.  My husband was unfaithful. I was not.  However, after two completely different unsuccessful counselors and counseling he remained unchanged and hardened.  We divorced.  I am remarried to a Christian man who is a Pastor.  I have ask for forgiveness and so has my husband.  We have been forgiven and the sin is gone.  But, I do not believe in divorce.  I had no choice.  But unfortunately I believe there are a lot of unsuccessful first marriages.  People rush into married life with unrealistic ideas and cannot take the pressures.

• 1 year later...

People do not need to be Christians or married in a church to be made into "one flesh." This term is used by Biblical writers to describe the beautiful emotional, spiritual and physical oneness that marriage unites two people with.  It is "natural law," meaning it is the way God has designed us, regardless of religion, race, culture and education.  It is the way God has designed the human race to multiply and survive.  Marriage is God's will; however, His perfect will is that two believers marry with Christ as the Head of their marriage.  His permissive will allows people to marry who they choose, just like He allows people to decide whether or not to follow Him.

• 1 month later...

Q2. (Matthew 19:4-6 quoting Genesis 2:24) Do people need to be Christians to be joined as one flesh? Is this making into "one flesh" accomplished by a religious ceremony or by natural law? Of those who have entered into a first marriage, what percentage do you think have been "joined together" by God, according to Jesus' statement in Matthew 19:6?

People do not need to be Christians to be joined as one flesh as this is a natural law.

I think that 40% of first marriages have been joined together by God as they stay married til death.

• 2 months later...

Do people need to be Christians to be joined as one flesh? No. As our text states Paul taught: "Do you not know that he who unites himself with a prostitute is one with her in body? For it is said, 'The two will become one flesh'" 1 Corinthians 6:16. Even an illicit union involves this essential unity or "one flesh" relationship between a man and a woman.

Is this making into "one flesh" accomplished by a religious ceremony or by natural law? The one flesh concept is God ordained. God created Eve from a rib taken from Adam’s side as he slept. Adam recognized that Eve was part of him—they were in fact “one flesh.” Emotionally, spiritually, intellectually, financially, and in every other way, the married couple is to become one. Even as one part of the body cares for the other body parts each partner in the marriage is to care for the other Physically, they become one flesh, and the result of that one flesh is found in the children that their union produces; these children now possess a special genetic makeup, specific to their union.

Of those who have entered into a first marriage, what percentage do you think have been "joined together" by God, according to Jesus' statement in Matthew 19:6? 100%! Jesus said “So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate.” John MacArthur puts it this way: “The institution of marriage involves a covenant between a man, a woman, and God. Man and woman, by mutual consent, enter the arrangement. But the procedure, in order to be valid, must be consistent with divine law. Marriage was designed and inaugurated by the Creator. Men and women do not have the right to treat this sacred human relationship in a self-directed manner. Husband and wife are to “cleave” to one another (Gen. 2:24). Jesus emphasized that what God “hath joined together” man is not to separate (Mt. 19:6).

• 3 weeks later...

I feel that when the bible is talking about joined as one flesh, it is referring to the first sexual encounter that either person has. I feel that this is a natural law that not only occurs with humans but in some animals and birds as well. They find one partner and stick to that partner through out their whole lives. I do not feel that the percentage is too high for those that were joined together by God. I am very sorry to sa that most people will have a number of sexual partners before they finally take vows to remain faithful to just one person.

• 1 month later...

People do not need to be a Christian to be joined as one flesh. The making into “one flesh” is accomplished by natural law. I think that all who have entered into a first marriage have been “joined together” by God, according to Jesus’ statement in Matthew 19:6.

• 5 years later...
On 12/19/2007 at 10:20 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (Matthew 19:4-6 quoting Genesis 2:24) Do people need to be Christians to be joined as one flesh? Is this making into "one flesh" accomplished by a religious ceremony or by natural law? No. Being married and joined as "one flesh" has nothing to do with religion. It has to do with the union of man and woman, as ordained by God in Genesis.  

Of those who have entered into a first marriage, what percentage do you think have been "joined together" by God, according to Jesus' statement in Matthew 19:6? Well in our current society, intermarriage is plentiful so it's hard to say the exact number of couples that were married according to  the laws of the Christian God. I know that many who are secular, agnostic that get united to a partner who is Christian might marry and exchange vows under such circumstances but even then the person who is a non-believer has to accept the sanctity of marriage being the union of two becoming one.  

• 3 months later...

2.1 No. Anyone that has had "sexual union" was joined as one flesh.

2.2 By "natural law". What I understand becoming one flesh is "sexual intercourse".

2.3 I guess many got 'joined together' by **** and driven together by loneliness and not even taken into consideration if that was the partner God had in store for them