JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Joined as One Flesh

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (Matthew 19:4-6 quoting Genesis 2:24) Do people need to be Christians to be joined as one flesh? Is this making into "one flesh" accomplished by a religious ceremony or by natural law? Of those who have entered into a first marriage, what percentage do you think have been "joined together" by God, according to Jesus' statement in Matthew 19:6?

People do not need to be Christians to be joined as one flesh. Adam and Eve were not Christians. "One flesh" is accomplished by natural law instituted by God.

I don't know the current statistics on this subject, but my guess that in today's U.S. society, somewhere between 55 - 70% of people have had pre-maritial sex prior to their first marriage.

People do not need to be Christians to be joined as one flesh and this is accomplished by natural law. I think 100% of those entering into first marriage are joined by God.

Q2. (Matthew 19:4-6 quoting Genesis 2:24) Do people need to be Christians to be joined as one flesh? Is this making into "one flesh" accomplished by a religious ceremony or by natural law? Of those who have entered into a first marriage, what percentage do you think have been "joined together" by God, according to Jesus' statement in Matthew 19:6?

The bible states very clearly when a man and a woman meet in sex the two become one, so I this case even if you meet with a prostitute, you become one body with her.

I have no idea of the percentage of those who have entered first marriage. With this sinful world the percentage can be very small.

I believe a couple doesn't have to be Christians in order to join together in marriage. However, I believe a marriage has a better chance of succeeding if it has Christ as the center.

The making into "one flesh" is accomplished by natural law. It doesn't matter if one is married by a minister in a church or a justice of the peace at the courthouse, it is considered a valid union in the eyes of God.

Of those who have entered into a first marriage, 100% have been "joined together" by God according to Jesus.

no, i don't think that you need to be a christian to become one flesh.all we have is our word, or vow, or commitment, god does all the rest, so it is a natural law.....100%

Genesis 2:24 makes it clear that a man will leave his Fathe and Mother and be joined to her to become one flesh. It does not mention anything about religious ceremonies or natural laws. All those who have met in the first marriage will have been joined together because this is the declaration of God.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

NO, people don't need to be Christians to be joined together as one flesh although the Bible says we should not be unequally yoked.

Joining the two would probably be a natural law.

100% of couples of opposite sexes have been declared by God to be joined together

• 2 weeks later...

This is hard-I don't know quite how to say this. This is my interpretation of the verses. i believe that all of us-saved and unsaved-know the answer to these questions. We all have inherent morals and know the difference between right and wrong. The mere act of having relations with someone qualifies as being "joined together". I could do a thesis on this subject, cause I've been on the wrong side of this issue. I have no idea what the percentage is for first time joined together by God marriages. I just know that my own life is a perfect example of what not to do. As I said before, this is my third marriage-I know I'm forgiven. However, I don't believe I've been set free from bondage just so that I can go and do the same mistake all over again. This marriage is till death do us part. No matter what.

God intended one partner for life. Celibacy until marriage. I know there are people who won't like this. But the Word of God is clear. The truth will set us free. I was under conviction for a long time, but I have been set free through God's Grace! Gloray!

I hope my answer makes sense! :blink:

There is more to this matter than meets the eye and perhaps more than is anticipated by the questions relative thereto. However, I will assume the questions anticipate some of these matters and attempt to parse out some of the issues.

1) In the purely physical, people need not be Christians to be joined as one flesh. Children are a physical manifestation of the joining of two persons into one flesh, because physically, a child is the parents in one flesh. Since not all children are born physically of persons born of the Spirit, it is not necessary for people to be Christians to be joined as one flesh as purely physical matter.

2) In the spiritual, the making into "one flesh" need not be accomplished by a religious ceremony nor its physical manifestation of children of the flesh. This is true because spirit inhabits flesh and "the life of a thing is in its blood" (Leviticus). During intercourse, there is a commingling of the blood of two persons and, therefore, a sharing of spirits (holy or unholy). It is for this reason that persons born of the Spirit are commanded not to be sexually immoral or to eat meat from a strangled animal or meat with its lifeblood still in it (i.e., eating an animal still alive) or to taste blood. These were the commands given by the Apostles after the meeting of the Jerusalem council and which pleased not only the Apostles, but the Holy Spirit as well (see The Book of Acts). It is for this reason that a person born of the Spirit must not lay with a person not born of the Spirit, since to do so would be to invite demons to eat at the same table as the Lord. A person who does this AND knows what he is doing and intends to do so, rejects Jesus who cannot eat at the same table as demons. However, a person born of the Spirit who is married to a non-believer must lay with his or her spouse as part of his or her marital duties without such fears, because the non-believing spouse is sanctified by God for the sake of the believing spouse (in other words, the Lord banishes the evil spirits from the non-believing spouse) in order that their children may be made holy (read Paul's 1st letter to the Corinthians on matters regarding sexual immorality and marriage and divorce; it may also be helpful to read his instructions regarding the eating of meat offered to idols in the same letter and in Romans for related issues).

3) Of those who have entered into a first marriage (or any subsequent marriage or who have commingled blood during intercourse whether or not married), 100% have been spiritually "joined together" by God, assuming they have known eachother (carnally), since it is by God's law that they share spirits during intercourse - whether they are Christians or not!

Q2. (Matthew 19:4-6 quoting Genesis 2:24) Do people need to be Christians to be joined as one flesh?

No, people do not need to be Christians to be joined as one flesh.

Is this making into "one flesh" accomplished by a religious ceremony or by natural law?

This making into "one flesh" is accomplished by natural law. From the beginning marriage is God's established institution, a kind of "natural law" based on God's intention for marriage and the way he made human beings.

Of those who have entered into a first marriage, what percentage do you think have been "joined together" by God, according to Jesus' statement in Matthew 19:6?

One hundred percent (100%), of all marriages, according to Jesus' statement are couples "joined together." Jesus tells us that it is God's intention for marriage is that the man and woman be joined in an indissoluble union, "one flesh."

• 6 months later...

No, you do not need to be a Christian to be joined as one flesh. Christian or Non-Christian, when that sexual relationship takes place, in God's eyes, you are one flesh. I believe it is natural law because that is the way God had it from the beginning. All that have entered into first marriage has been joined toghether by God.

No you do not need to be christian to be joined as one flesh. You are joined as one flesh with whomever you have sex with. It was more natural law, God intended for a man and women to be joined as one flesh. All first marriages are joined together by God. It does not matter if you are christian or not God joins us as one flesh. And he waits for all of us to turn from evils and sin to be united with him in the heavenly place he has reserved for each and everyone of his children. All we need do is ask his forgiveness and learn more of his teachings.

Q2. (Matthew 19:4-6 quoting Genesis 2:24)

Do people need to be Christians to be joined as one flesh?

No

Is this making into "one flesh" accomplished by a religious ceremony or by natural law?

Natural law

Of those who have entered into a first marriage, what percentage do you think have been "joined together" by God, according to Jesus' statement in Matthew 19:6?

100%

• 5 months later...

No.

It is natural law. That is the way that God designed it to be. God's designs and desires for the universe have no regard for whether or not we agree and adhere to them. The religious ceremony is the public way we say that we recognize God's design and intend to submit ourselves to it.

100%, with the possible exception of a marriage that has not yet been consummated (they have not yet become "one flesh").

the joining of a man and woman as one flesh is considered natural law so I do not believe that you must be Christian to be joined. Once you decide to be joined with a person then, according to the text, you are by natural law joined as one flesh. According to Jesus' statement all first marriages (100%) were joined by God.

Kind of a strange footnote on this, I am in my second marriage. I was a non-believer throughout my life and my first husband and I divorced after a rocky 7 year marriage. My current husband is Christian and through him I have come to know Christ and accept Christ as my Lord and Savior. With that being said, his divorce was because of adultery (ex-wife cheated) so according to the Bible his divorce was considered "ok" but what about me? If I was not a believer before am I still wrong in the eyes of God and have I caused my current husband to sin because he married me? This has bothered me (not enough to leave my faith or my husband but hard just the same) and I get several different interpretations of what the bible says about this.

I would love to hear the thoughts of the group. If I accepted Christ as my Lord and Savior AFTER my divorce, am I cleansed of that sin?

Sorry for the rant but thanks for reading!

• 2 months later...

Q2. (Matthew 19:4-6 quoting Genesis 2:24) Do people need to be Christians to be joined as one flesh?Is this making into "one flesh" accomplished by a religious ceremony or by natural law? Of those who have entered into a first marriage, what percentage do you think have been "joined together" by God, according to Jesus' statement in Matthew 19:6?

1.Do people need to be Christians to be joined as one flesh? No you don't only need to be Christian to be one flesh. Anyone who engages in sexual intercourse, there is an exchange that takes place. We become connected, emotionally, physically, mentally, what's theirs is your's and what's your's is theirs. Everything we have experienced in our lives we end up sharing on a deeper level, not seen by the eyes. When Sin entered into the picture, "One flesh" has become distorted and is not what it was intended to be. The "one flesh" is unifed in God and not many are unified in God.

2. Is this making into "one flesh" accomplished by a religious ceremony or by natural law? This is accomplished by God's natural law. God made male and female to procreate, it's a natural law instituted by God. When Adam and Eve were joined together, it was God who joined them together and made them One in heart, One in spirit, One in faith, One in body soul and mind.

3.Of those who have entered into a first marriage, what percentage do you think have been "joined together" by God, according to Jesus' statement in Matthew 19:6? I have witnessed 30%.

You said "joined together by God." Just because someone has intercourse or even gets a certificate doesn't mean they are joined together by God. I don't believe all marriages are joined by God, if they were, there would not be divorce. I have witnessed many failed marriages, and a few successful ones. These failed marriages might have been joined together as "one flesh", but I don't believe some of their marriages where approved by God. It is God who joins us together and what God joins together, let not man seperate. When God is at the center, then there is truly One heart, One mind, One faith, nothing can separate them for they are ONE. Many people marry who are not equally yoked together and they get married and wonder what went wrong. If they both become ONE in God, then there's a chance. With God all things are possible.

God's blessings, Love, Lory

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Many divorces could be avoided if people would love God the most, and make Him first. This gives us the ability to love more like Him, and to put the other first. If both are like this, it will help a lot in difficult situations to put God first, and let His love rule the relationship. Love and marriage go together. Sex is a great from of intimate communication, it is man's own moment of 'creation' with his spouse. Likewise for the wife with her husband. That sexual moment of creation is God's plan for all of us.

• 4 weeks later...

No, people do not need to be Christians to be joined as one flesh. The joining of one flesh is accomplished by natural law, but the religious ceremony is the sacred vow before God that there is only one flesh now.

100% of all who enter into a first marriage have been joined together by God.

Q2. (Matthew 19:4-6 quoting Genesis 2:24)

No; all of God's principles and laws apply to all of His creation whether or not His creation recognizes it or Him.

Natural law. In gen. 2:24 there is no mention of a ceremony necessary or of a procedure to follow.

Of those who have entered into a first marriage, what percentage do you think have been "joined together" by God, according to Jesus' statement in Matthew 19:6? I would think all that include the "marriage act". Not all live like that though and so they remain in their hearts "single minded" for themselves rather than the oneness that causes a spouse to always consider the other in decisions. But I want to ask what about second marriages? What percentage of those are joined by God? Can any? It's very complicated and should be thoroughly taught in pre-marriage counselling classes.

• 1 year later...

Yes, in my opinion to truly be joined together as one flesh it must be a Godly union. The very same words are used in Deuteronomy 6:4 for the Lord is one. In other words, God makes the husband and wife into one as the Trinity is one, a compound unity.

Natural law. There is no religious ceremony or piece of paper that can make a marriage any stronger or more blessed by God than two people who have entered into a committed, faithful union with deep love and respect for one another. A marriage is a matter of the heart and when two are joined together as one in faithful, sexual unity, with the intention of it being a lifelong commitment of love, respect, and faithfulness to each other and God, their union is blessed by God.

what percentage do you think have been "joined together" by God, according to Jesus' statement in Matthew 19:6?

100%