JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Divorce and Remarriage

The Word seems clear about the unforgivable sin. It's not divorce. With that said, living in sin is not a condition we would expect God to endorce whether it's a marriage relationship or as a thief or as a murderer or, ...or .... or ....

The more important issue might be the condition of one's heart and the relationship an individual has with God. Rebellion, self-righteousness, or unrepentance would be the bricks building a wall between a person and God.

A similar question might be; Can a person live in a way he or she knows is unpleasing to God and still remain in a growing, fruitful relationship with Him? We may be able to judge the actions of others to some extent, but I wonder if it's for us to answer yes or no concerning another's heart.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not believe that a divorced and remarried person lives in a perpetual state of adultery. I believe you are forgiven of all sins.  However, I do not believe in multiple marriages.  One divorce I can see.  But, I feel one should have learned a very hard lesson if a marriage fails.  All parties are hurt including children.  It is not to be taken lightly.  I believe God will forgive if he is asked. 

• 1 year later...

A person who remarries after a divorce that was not caused by marital unfaithfulness does not live in a perpetual state of adultery.  However, the possibility of reconciliation with the original spouse is shattered.  Christians should not divorce the second spouse to get back into God's will.  What is done is done.  Two wrongs don't make a right!  There needs to be deep repentance, and the asking of forgiveness from God and the wronged party.  Live for Christ the best you can in the present marriage.

• 1 month later...

Q5. (Matthew 19:9) Does a person who has remarried after a divorce that wasn't caused by marital unfaithfulness, live in a perpetual state of adultery? Should that person divorce or separate in order to get back into God's will? How can he or she get back into God's will, or is that no longer possible?

A person who has remarried after a divorce that wasn't caused by marital unfaithfulness does not live in a perpetual state of adultery.  To get back into God's will, the person only need to repent and go to God who forgives.  They do not need to divorce or separate from the current spouse, just go forward in God.  

• 2 months later...

Does a person who has remarried after a divorce that wasn't caused by marital unfaithfulness, live in a perpetual state of adultery? It is my understanding Matthew 5:32 (and Mark 10:11-12) mean simply that entering into an illegitimate remarriage is an adulterous act. Nevertheless, once that new marriage covenant is sealed, the remarried couple needs to remain married and be faithful to one another. Their ongoing physical relationship is not to be thought of as “perpetual adultery.” On the other hand, as long as they remain unrepentant about the illegitimate remarriage, they cannot expect God’s blessing on their marriage. Like all sins, that unauthorized remarriage must be confessed and repented of.

Should that person divorce or separate in order to get back into God's will? See Above.

How can he or she get back into God's will, or is that no longer possible? In 1 Corinthians 6:9-11 Paul says: “Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.” God’s love and ability to rescue, forgive, and restore is greater still. There is mercy at the Cross, and it is available to all who draw near to Christ. Nothing is beyond God’s forgiveness. No sin is too great or too awful for God to forgive. No person is so deep in sin, so ingrained in a wicked lifestyle, or so steeped in evil that he or she cannot be saved. The only requirement is that you repent and accept His forgiveness.

Does a person who has remarried after a divorce that wasn't caused by marital unfaithfulness, live in a perpetual state of adultery? It is my understanding Matthew 5:32 (and Mark 10:11-12) mean simply that entering into an illegitimate remarriage is an adulterous act. Nevertheless, once that new marriage covenant is sealed, the remarried couple needs to remain married and be faithful to one another. Their ongoing physical relationship is not to be thought of as “perpetual adultery.” On the other hand, as long as they remain unrepentant about the illegitimate remarriage, they cannot expect God’s blessing on their marriage. Like all sins, that unauthorized remarriage must be confessed and repented of.

Should that person divorce or separate in order to get back into God's will? See Above.

How can he or she get back into God's will, or is that no longer possible? In 1 Corinthians 6:9-11 Paul says: “Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.” God’s love and ability to rescue, forgive, and restore is greater still. There is mercy at the Cross, and it is available to all who draw near to Christ. Nothing is beyond God’s forgiveness. No sin is too great or too awful for God to forgive. No person is so deep in sin, so ingrained in a wicked lifestyle, or so steeped in evil that he or she cannot be saved. The only requirement is that you repent and accept His forgiveness.

• 3 weeks later...

I find that I had questioned the idea of one sin being bigger than another. However, this is the concept that I have come up with. Once we confess our sins to God and accept Jesus as our savior, our sins are forgiven. We have the grace of God. So I feel that remarriage and divorce are forgiven already. Jesus never taught that one sin was worse than another. He never said that some of our sins are forgiven and others weren't.

• 1 month later...

I think that the person who has remarried after a divorce not caused by marital unfaithfulness is living is a perpetual state of adultery. I don’t that that person should get a second divorce or separate in order to get back into God’s will. He can get back into God’s will by confessing his sins.

• 2 years later...
On 12/19/2007 at 10:22 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Warning. Believing Christians disagree on some aspects of divorce and remarriage. In addition, many have been hurt in bad marriages and divorces. Be gentle, sensitive, and loving with one another -- even if you disagree!

Q5. (Matthew 19:9) Does a person who has remarried after a divorce that wasn't caused by marital unfaithfulness, live in a perpetual state of adultery? Should that person divorce or separate in order to get back into God's will? How can he or she get back into God's will, or is that no longer possible?

NO

No they do not have to live in a perpetual  state of adultery.

No they should not divorce or separate.

Repent and ask for forgiveness.

• 2 years later...
On 12/19/2007 at 10:22 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Warning. Believing Christians disagree on some aspects of divorce and remarriage. In addition, many have been hurt in bad marriages and divorces. Be gentle, sensitive, and loving with one another -- even if you disagree!

Q5. (Matthew 19:9) Does a person who has remarried after a divorce that wasn't caused by marital unfaithfulness, live in a perpetual state of adultery? Should that person divorce or separate in order to get back into God's will? In my personal view, I don't believe that anyone should live in a perpetual state of adultery, whether or not he/she was the adulterer. As per God's will, we are to forgive and if we were able to remarry and move on with someone else, it likely means we forgave. No one should have to live a lifetime of guilt over the dissolution of a marriage. Sometimes people just grow apart and we have to accept the changes that come our way.

No, the remarried person should not divorce to get back into God's will. It serves no purpose to go through yet another divorce, and it won't reunite you with the first spouse. Most of all, I don't think God ever separated you from his grace just because the marriage didn't work out. God is loving and forgiving. He would not want you to go through another divorce just to please Him. 

How can he or she get back into God's will, or is that no longer possible? Probably the best way to remain in the God's grace is to honor and love your current spouse to the best of your ability.  This is the best way to honor and serve your God; by living faithfully to Him and to those around you. Keep the faith should be on the lips of everyone, believers and non-believers. 

• 3 months later...

5.1 No. I think that after seeking forgiveness for whatever sin caused the separation from the first marriage, that Christ does forgive and you do not live in adultery. It could also be that one spouse moves in with another person after the divorce, then automatically the other partner is free to remarry as the oneness is then broken by another.

5.2 No

5.3 Ask for forgivenessand stay in the second union