JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Defense against Evil?

Q5. (Matthew 5:39-44) If the principle that underlies verses 39-42 is found in verse 44 and 22:39, are there times we must defend ourselves physically against evil men in order to fulfill the principle? What might be some examples?

Their are times when we must defend ourselves.

We can defend our country or friends in other countries from evil, i.e. aggressor countries invading and taking over innocent countries for national greed or domination. We can be physically aggressive against those who are abusing, killing, and threatening the innocent -- this is just. Our God is a just God. He expects us to act justly. God is not a pacifist. Jesus is not a pacifist.

As Paul wrote in Romans, the government has a God given function to maintain civil order and execute justice. It has a duty to protect its citizens.

Jesus is teaching us to love people regardless if they our friends or enemies in this passage of scripture. He is teaching us about our own perfection -- see verse 48. He is not teaching us to permit evil to run rampant. In fact, when Jesus comes again, it will upon a white horse with a sword in His hand and in the role as judge to execute judgment.

God expects us to come to the aid of the helpless however that must be done.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q5. (Matthew 5:39-44) If the principle that underlies verses 39-42 is found in verse 44 and 22:39, are there times we must defend ourselves physically against evil men in order to fulfill the principle? What might be some examples?

evil is always on the attack.it never sleeps or takes a break. and not everyone respects gods word or way. so yes there will be times that we have to make a stand.

Well what do you do when your home or country is invaded by selfish enemies who have come with bombs and other arsenal to exterminate your family or race and cannot compromise with your reasoning and pleading? You would physically defend yourself. The children of Isreal were attached so many times in the old testament and God himself empowered them with physical power to defeat their enemies.

Yes, we must defend ourselves physically against evil men and against all evil. We are to pray for the Lord's protection and to let his love shine through us and guide us. (2) Love those that hate you and say hurtful things to you, love those that make fun of you, love those that use you, and love those that may abuse you. Let the love of the Lord shine!

There are times when you must clearly defend yourself and defeat evil, if you don't want it to prevail. A world war to right these wrongs and bring justice to the peoples of the earth was righteous. Sometimes we simultaneously are called upon as citizens here on earth to fulfill a dual role, such as a policeman, soldier, or judge, at the same time as we operate on a personal level according to Jesus' insistence on loving our enemies. For example, it is entirely possible that a victim will forgive an offence while the offender is sentenced by a judge to punishment for his crimes. We must separate the personal from the judicial or we get in trouble. Of course, the judicial function, too, is to be guided by God's laws. It should operate under God, not as a law to itself.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, when we are being physically attacked, when we are face to face with danger in the form of gangs, intruders, etc

• 3 weeks later...

I believe that it is important for us, as christians, to obey the law of the land. If that means fighting a war or taking down a killer, or arresting a thief-whatever the case may be-we should obey the law. God ordained everything we have for our protection. It is all for our good.

On the personal level, this is a little more refined. God's love is to be shed abroad in our hearts. And, if we are truly His, then we are responsible for expanding that love to others. If someone hurts my feelings, or throws a stone at me, or hurts me in any manner, I am to show God's love to them. I need to pray for that one that hurt my feelings, or broke my heart. I like what Martin Luther King said - Look within yourself to realize that you are not perfect, and something you have done might have sparked their hatred,

Discover the element of good in your enemy, and

When the opportunity presents itself for you to defeat your enemy, that is the time that you must not do it.

This was a man who was trying to expand on God's love! We can and should do no less!

There are time when we must defend ourselves against evil men, for example in cases where your country is at war and you're called upon by the government to protect your country.

• 6 months later...

Yes, we must defend ourselves against evil men, but we have to have the full armor of God on before we do. Without it, we don't have a chance. I very good example I can think of is the men and women that are fighting for us right now, to protect us from evil. If someone tried to physically hurt you or your family, someone that tried to steal your family, friends, and co-workers by deceiving lies. Yes, we have to fight. We have to fight everyday against the lies and deception's of the devil. We are in a spiritual warfare. We have to have on the full armor of God and He has to be leading the way.

Yes there times when we must stand up against evil. As when God parted the Red Sea and allowed Moses to led the Jews away from the Pharaoh's army.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

While we are told to bless them that curse us, turn the other cheek, walk an extra mile, etc., nowhere does Jesus tell us to remain passive even unto death. Also, He speaks about an eye for an eye, etc. This all tells me that there are times when criminals and despots must be resisted by all available means and that there are jobs in which people will be called upon to administer justice to the wicked, sort of acting as God's proxy. Some of these jobs would include police officer, judge, and soldier.

• 2 months later...

This is an issue, that is something I'm prayering and trying to come to a truth. I believe today more Christians should take these verses seriously. Historically, we know that most early Christians did not join the military (changed after Constaine). So the Quarkers and Anabaptists do seem to have a precident for their belief. I love the movie Friendly Persecustion. A Quarker family and community is faced with real decisions of protecting themselves during the civil war. The challedge is real an immedient. Their struggle is worth watching. I also love the movie Sergent York, a Christian from the country is against warfare because of these verses. He fights and kills, but his method saves lives. Warfare and defending our selves should be taken seriously. We should learn from Martin Luther and Gandi. However, we don't. We think in terms of "national security" and back warfare just because our leaders say it is just. Resistance of evil does not mean one needs to take up arms. But could mean not going with the flow of our culture like the German church, for the most part did, during War World II and which many in our country do today. We stay uninformed and bless a government that is secular as if it is of God. We need to be wise as serpants and gentle as doves. If we must defend ourselves physically it should not be done in vengences or in anger. We should go against unjustice in the world even when it is against our culture. We should be "set apart", "a holy nation. "

• 10 months later...

In the spirit of eternity, if a robber takes it all and tries to kill us we get to go to heaven, and on the surface that might seem to be a good thing for us. But for the others? For family members left behind, the fall out is not good. For the killer, this person might be headed to hell.

As the crime becomes lesser, does it change anything in the eyes of God? In a legalistic sense to protect what we value, we must resist the evile one of they are truelove in the wrong. Perhaps thi is why they have judges?

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, there are times we must defend ourselves physically against evil men. For example, if someone wanted to rape and kill another person or myself and there was a way out of it, I would take it. If someone wanted to physically harm my family and I were in the position to defend them, I'd do it. I can still love the soul of the perpertrator, but not the evil spirit that has taken him or her over. Fighting in war is always a horrible situation, but it is necessary even for Christians to fight to protect the way of life for the majority of the people. David was a warrior who loved God, and God rewarded his efforts. Indeed, we have to realize that we are at war every waking moment with the spiritual enemey. It's not people.

• 2 weeks later...

I see no conflict between "loving your enemy, praying for those who persecute you" and defending or agressivly stopping lawless evil people. If I personally am the victim, for the love of my children and husband I will defend myself, if possible, because they need me. If I am in a position to defend or help someone else who has come under attack then I will help them because they too are my neighbor. All the while I can be praying for my enemy. There are many stories that while serving in our Armed forces many service men/women have found themselves in a position to lend help to an "enemy" and have done just that by meeting their physical needs. If I could go back to the sSermon on the Mount I would want to ask Jesus: " Are you saying in ALL situations or are you specifically talking about personal day to day life: work, family, school, community?" We have to recognize that war is a different set of circumstances because it should be that we are not acting on personal malice but out of a sense of desiring to defend ones nation.

• 1 year later...

yes, there are time when justice should prevail over evil. But it should be dealt out by the justice system or if there is no justice system in the country where atrocities take place or justice is corrupted as in many cases it is, then I believe one must defend oneself from evil. That being said, I believe Jesus would want us to act within the boundaries of law of the land. And to deal with the person committing the injustice compassionately.

Hebrews 10:30 For we know Him who said, "VENGEANCE IS MINE, I WILL REPAY." And again, "THE LORD WILL JUDGE HIS PEOPLE.

Ecclesiastes 3

A Time for Everything

1 There is a time for everything,

and a season for every activity under the heavens:

2 a time to be born and a time to die,

a time to plant and a time to uproot,

3 a time to kill and a time to heal,

a time to tear down and a time to build,

4 a time to weep and a time to laugh,

a time to mourn and a time to dance,

5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,

a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,

6 a time to search and a time to give up,

a time to keep and a time to throw away,

7 a time to tear and a time to mend,

a time to be silent and a time to speak,

8 a time to love and a time to hate,

a time for war and a time for peace.

• 5 weeks later...

Q5. (Matthew 5:39-44)

If the principle that underlies verses 39-42 is found in verse 44 and 22:39, are there times we must defend ourselves physically against evil men in order to fulfill the principle?

Yes, I think there are times we must defend ourselves physically against evil men in order to fulfill the principle.

What might be some examples?

Some examples can be:

1. When attacking a thief who is attacking your family.

2. Serving as a police and arresting a robber.

• 1 year later...

The principle that underlies verses 39 - 42 and v. 44 and again in 22:39 is Love your neighbor.  Jesus suggested a new radical response to injustice.  Instead of demanding rights we should give them up freely.  Turn the other cheek.  Jesus said it was more important to give justice and mercy than to receive it.    This keeps us from taking the law into our own hands.  We can overcome evil with good by praying and asking God for wisdom.

A few examples I can think of are; war a violent attack on your family, defending yourself against an attack of sorts.  What choice do we have?

• 1 year later...

There are times a Christian needs to defend himself to fight the spread of evil and to help innocent victims.  If the righteous do not combat evil in a correct way, lawlessness will take over.  Examples of this are self-defense with an intruder in your home; seeing someone being victimized like a killing or a rape; defending one's country against invaders; or stopping drug traffic at our borders and in our neighborhoods.  This does not mean that we take the law into our own hands, but that we use every just resource available to fight evil, be in our constitutional rights, the police force, or a neighborhood watch program.  However, on a personal level, we must forgive our enemies like Jesus said.  We must not retaliate but seek justice intead of revenge.  We cannot condone evil, but we must not bear a grudge against those who have harmed us or those we care about.

• 1 month later...

Yes - in the case of self defense of yourself or family by someone trying to hurt you.

• 3 months later...

I believe that we are to defend ourselves against a physical attack. I do not believe that Jesus meant for us to allow ourselves or our family to be hurt or killed by strangers. We must be able to protect our goods from being stolen from us. I am sure that Jesus would not want us to allow ourselves to be raped if we can help it. I do not think that God wants us to be victims to evil men.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
On 12/19/2007 at 10:29 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Yes I do, Some are in the military, if they are told to go and fight they must to defend America against evil weather they think it is right or wrong, God also goes with them.

• 2 years later...
On 12/19/2007 at 10:29 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q5. (Matthew 5:39-44) If the principle that underlies verses 39-42 is found in verse 44 and 22:39, are there times we must defend ourselves physically against evil men in order to fulfill the principle?

Of course there is. If someone is coming after you with a weapon, you must defend yourself or risk getting killed. If someone is coming into your home with a gun and dragging your wife away, you must intervene and try to protect her. You cannot approach life with the assumption that "loving" your enemy is going to bring peace and harmony to society. On the contrary, loving someone by always allowing them to steal, pillage and attack your family is condoning chaos and allowing evil to rule.

And why would we want that? You need to love yourself first, before you can love anyone else.