JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Your Father Knows You Need Material Things

The point Jesus is trying to make by mentioning the "pagans" or "Gentiles" is that they also seek after or worry about material needs.

According to Jesus, a Christian should be different than a Gentile or unbeliever in that a believer should trust God for his material needs.

The phrase "your heavenly Father knows that you need them" gives me the confidence that the Lord knows what my needs are and that He will meet them in a way He believes is best for me.

Q3. (Matthew 6:31-32) Why does Jesus mention the "pagans" or "Gentiles" in verse 32? What point is he making? How should a Christian differ from a Gentile, according to Jesus' teaching in this passage? What emotional and faith effect does the phrase, "your heavenly Father knows that you need them," have in your life?

By mentioning the "pagans" or "gentiles" Jesus means that these are full of worry and pursue the issues of food and clothing as the only things that matter in life. If they havent got them then to them that is the end of their existence.

A Christian on other hand knows that God cares for him and will ensure that he is provided for. Therefore what is required is to just bring these concerns to God in prayer. The prayer helps the Cristian to be assured and therefore his heart will be set at peace. God is our sustainance, our supplier and I can rely on Him because He knows what I want.

Q3. (Matthew 6:31-32) Why does Jesus mention the "pagans" or "Gentiles" in verse 32? What point is he making? How should a Christian differ from a Gentile, according to Jesus' teaching in this passage? What emotional and faith effect does the phrase, "your heavenly Father knows that you need them," have in your life?

Jesus mentions the "pagans" or "Gentiles" in verse 32 because they are persons that depend on worldly things for your lives, not to God

According to Jesus' teaching in this passage a Christian should differ from a Gentile in a way that not run after all things the same as a Gentile do, because Father knows that we need them and he will provide them, and therefore we should run after different things, that is, eternal things.

In my life the phrase, "your heavenly Father knows that you need them," has effect of significantly decreasing the worry and increasing the faith.

• 3 weeks later...

Q3. (Matthew 6:31-32) Why does Jesus mention the "pagans" or "Gentiles" in verse 32? What point is he making?

In verse 32 Jesus mentions the "pagans" or "Gentile" as He illustrates the unbelievers are the one who run after these things not trusting that God is able to supply their every need.

How should a Christian differ from a Gentile, according to Jesus' teaching in this passage?

Christians should differ from a Gentile in his dependence on God to supply his needs and to take care of him completely.

What emotional and faith effect does the phrase, "your heavenly Father knows that you need them," have in your life?

Knowing that my Heavenly Father knows of my needs I can trust that He will supply them and I have no need to fret, worry or be anxious about anything.

• 1 month later...

Gentiles are consumed with going after material possessions-we can't sleep for wondering what the next big thing will be. Jesus wants us to see that if we will just take the time to study The Word-seek Him-go after Him, then He will take care of us. This should thrill us to no end! We should run to our Bibles-not because we want to get something from God, but because we love Him, and enjoy our time with Him! And then, if our heart is in the right place, if we go to Him with a problem, or a request, He will surely answer and take care of our needs! It's like going to daddy and asking him for movie money. Or, soda pop money. Dad, can I have a pop? Well, you've been a good girl-I guess I can buy you a soda pop. Our Father wants to help us-I'm going to go shout, now! Bye!!!!!

• 1 month later...

Jesus mentions the pagans to indicate to us that we should be different. We shouldn't worry about earthly things as they do. My heavenly Father knows what I need - that gives me peace in my heart and soul knowing that he will take care of me and that I don't have to worry about anything.

• 5 months later...

Jesus mentions the pagans and the Gentiles because they are trusting only in themselves to provide what is needed to live. God wants us to see that he is there for us. He will provide the staff of life all we have to do is believe and trust in God. The pharse "your heavenly Father knows that you need them" has a huge impact on my life. It frees me from worry knowing that God will provide for me. In the 1980's when times were lean for us I used to take a bushel of tomatoes out to the road to get a couple of dollars for milk and God always sent someone to buy those tomatoes. Phrase God, for he takes away the worry. Just ask him. Thats all you have to do.

They are seeking temporal things. Don't seek temporal things. I think the point he is making it we have no faith in him. A Christian should have all the faith in the world in God. We should take him at his word. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that my heavenly Father will meet every need I have. I know I can depend on him. He will not fail me.

• 2 weeks later...

Q3. (Matthew 6:31-32)

Why does Jesus mention the "pagans" or "Gentiles" in verse 32? What point is he making? How should a Christian differ from a Gentile, according to Jesus' teaching in this passage? What emotional and faith effect does the phrase, "your heavenly Father knows that you need them," have in your life?

Jesus mentions that we, as believers, are to be different from the unbeliever. We should not be spending our lives in anxious pursuit of food, drink, and clothing for the future. The unbelievers live for the mad accumulation of material things, as if food and clothing were the whole of life. They know nothing about God

• 5 months later...

Jesus talks about the pagans to drive home the point that we should live differently from them. Pagans live lives that are self-centered and Christians should live lives that are God-centered. In being self-centered, unbelievers trust only in their own efforts and only credit themselves when things go well. Christians should credit God for the blessings in their lives and trust God for support when things are difficult. When I say "Jesus is Lord of my life", I feel that He has the right to make any claim on my life at any time that He wants to. As I strive to keep God's will in the center of my life, I know that He keeps me right in the center of His will, and He will supply whatever He knows I need to do the work He wants to do through me.

• 1 year later...

By pagans, or Gentiles He is talking about those who do not believe in God or Christ. These people focus their attention on material things, on the thhings of this world rather than on God. Christians on the other hand should focus on God and not on the things of this world.

This passage, backed up by my own personal experience of God's provision for me, should make me not worry about my material needs because I know that God will provide. That doesn't of course mean that I can sit back and do nothing and wait for my food and clothes to appear out of thin air, but it does mean that there is no need to worry.

Whilst my own experience has been that God has always provided for my needs, I do though still have an issue with the question which Marloes raised in relation to the first question in this section. There are people in the World who have no food and who ultimately starve to death. Some of these people are the most vulnerable in our society - children and old people and some of them will undoubtedly be Christians. So how does this passage relate to someone (a Christian) in that position? I am still working on my thoughts on this and if I come up with a conclusion I will post it!!

• 1 month later...

(Matthew 6:31-32)

Why does Jesus mention the "pagans" or "Gentiles" in verse 32? What point is he making?

I think Jesus mentions the pagans and gentiles because they live with out consideration of their eternal soul. Their concern is the physical here and now instead of the Father is heaven in whom they can have eternal life through Christ.

How should a Christian differ from a Gentile, according to Jesus' teaching in this passage?

A Chhrstian would not worry about his/her needs but trusts for God's perfect provision to the faithful who walk in obedience. I too struggle with the homeless and hungry and if they are faithful followers and yet still suffer these things.

What emotional and faith effect does the phrase, "your heavenly Father knows that you need them," have in your

life?

It is a comfort to know God loves me as his child. I was fortunate to have an earthly father who loved me and made sure we always had what was needed. In the same way I can trust God, my heavenly father, to make sure we will be ok. It helps too to have the perspective of eternity that no matter how hard things get there is way more to experience, beyond this earthly existence, with our father. The Pagans and Gentiles don't have this comfort.

• 1 year later...

I believe Jesus is using gentile or/pagans as a example of people who chase after other gods, as that's the way it was in the time in which He was speaking.The gentiles were considered heathen, godless people by the Jews. They put their trust and faith into materialistic, earthy things.They worshiped many other gods. The gentiles were shiftless. They had no God to provide for them. He makes this comparison in an attempt for us as Christians to realize how important our faith is to the sovereign God of the universe , and how easily we can become derailed spiritually by wordy 'treasures'. I believe He is also addressing the Gentiles who are in His 'audience' during His sermon in an attempt to bring them into His presence and into His trust.

What emotional and faith effect does the phrase, "your heavenly Father knows that you need them,"have in your

life?

I have experienced and do experience His provisions everyday in every morning that I open my eyes, get out of bed, eat, breath. Without God there is no life. The effect it has on me is a deepening faith that Our Provider is all in all, He provides the very air that we breath. He is the creator of everything, and He sustains everything. He is a faithful, sovereign God. Everything that happens here on earth is all within the plan He has for us, His creation. I rely on him and I do not question anything He sends my way, whether bad or good, I know there is a reason and only He knows the plan. It is not for me to question our Father. I am completely reliant on Him. He has given me strength and sustained me through things I believe no mortal human could survive. Because I love Him and trust Him, He has saved me, I will live in eternity with Him, there is nothing to fear!

I believe that God does not let people starve to death as some posters have wondered. God said He would provide enough food for His creation and He has. God does not let people starve, people do. There is enough food in this world to feed all the starving masses. In the U.S alone the amount of food, we throw out, even such things as potato peelings is enough to sustain life for those starving to death. It is a people issue. God has provided the food, what we do with it ( myself included) is not share it, or find a way in which we could share it and feed all of God's children. The issue is not that the provision has not been made. God has provided. People have abused this provision and many others.It is an earthly, societal issue, and I myself am also guilty. I do my best to be charitable but I alone, cannot feed the world. I truly feel bad when I throw away leftovers or peel potatoes or even scrape the dishes. I know the food I throw away could mean life for another one of God's children somewhere else in the world. I even think about the food we feed our pets, how it could save lives for the starving, God doesn't let people starve to death, people do. I hope i have not offended anyone. That's not my intention.

• 1 month later...

Q3. (Matthew 6:31-32)

Why does Jesus mention the "pagans" or "Gentiles" in verse 32?

Jesus mentions the "pagans" or "Gentiles" in verse 32 to show what the needs of pagans.

What point is he making?

The point He is making is that, we should not be worrying the same way the pagans do; as Christians we should be different.

According to Jesus' teaching in this passage, a Christian should differ from a Gentile by putting his/her life on faith in God, dwelling in prayer and thanks giving.

What emotional and faith effect does the phrase, "your heavenly Father knows that you need them," have in your life?

It makes me feel good to know that, even before I ask, my heavenly Father knows what I need. Thus, it confirms that, our needs are there, and what is required from us is just to ask. Definitely by knowing and believing in this, it makes me not to worry on earthly things.

• 1 year later...

Flying blind, no lesson to read.

Pagans in v. 32 means the Gentiles.  The good news of Jesus had not yet spread to the Gentiles.  Some knew, but not many.  The good news was mainly spread to the Jews at this point.  Those who do not know of our Heavenly Father chase after things and worry constantly.  By placing yourself in God's hands he will provide.  We must work, and believe and don't sweat the little stuff.  We do our part and God will handle the rest.  God always knows what we need.  He knows better than we do.  My husband has advanced cancer.  He is a minister in the UMC.  We believe that God will take care of everything.  He gets his chemo, and takes his medicine and God handles the worrying for us.  He has a reason and He knows what is best.  We trust and have faith.

• 1 year later...

Jesus mentioned "pagans" in this verse to show that God's people should handle daily needs differetly than most people do.  Most people work in fear that they will never have enough for their wants and needs.  Their lives center around trying to achieve more than enough.  However, God's people should rest in the fact that God is taking care of them, and He will bless their efforts to provide.  I do not have to fret.  Do my best, and God will provide the rest.  He only asks that I do my part responsibly, and to not be lazy. God provides food for the birds, but they still have to go and get it!  :)

• 3 weeks later...

The pagans and Gentiles were unbelievers.  They sought after materialism and the things of this world.  Christians are not to be like that.  They are to trust God for everything.  The emotional and faith effect that phrase has on my life is "God's got it, let Him have/keep it; He is working it out for me."

• 4 months later...

I feel that Jesus was trying to make a distinction between those that follow and believe in the one true God and those that do not. We should not have to seek after things that the Father is able to give us. We have someone that is very willing to give us what we need. We just need to be able to hand over control of our lives to him. We just need to trust him and to honor and praise him. And to follow the paths that he puts us on. And he will supply all that we need.

Maybe I have finally matured in my spirituality. I find myself asking if I really need something or if I just want it. I find that I no longer stress over money issues all the time. I know that God will help me pay my bills and help me to use my money more wisely. I have cut back on extravagant spending and I feel better about myself. I no longer have to pressure of keeping up with the Jones.

• 4 weeks later...

The emotional and faith effect that the phrase “your heavenly Father knows that you need them”, makes me able to do the things that He wants me to be doing. I don’t have to worry about tomorrow. It doesn’t mean that I shouldn’t plan for tomorrow it just means I don’t have to worry about it.

• 2 years later...
On 12/19/2007 at 10:47 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

People who are apart from him, who do not believe.

That we need to be different since we are his believers.

That we should have faith and trust him.

That my Father looks after me and watches me, takes care of me.

• 2 years later...

Why does Jesus mention the 'pagans' or 'Gentiles' in verse 32?

The pagans and the Gentiles were the ones different from the Jews. His audience was Jews (mainly). They were ( Their belief was) distinct from pagans and Gentiles.  By worrying the Jews were acting the same as these unbelievers. 

What point is He making?

Jesus is pointing out that by acting like pagans and Gentiles, they are proving that they are not relying on God.

A Christian should rest (relax) in God's promises and leave the dealing of his needs in God's hands.

What emotional and faith effect does the phrase ' your heavenly Father knows that you need them', have in your life?

It brings great relief to know that it is all in His hands and He knows far better how and when to provide for my needs.