JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Let Tomorrow Worry for Itself

Q5. (Matthew 6:34) Is there humor intended in verse 34? What is the point of Jesus' joke here? What is the command in this verse?

I suppose there is humor but it is humor with a serious message. The point Jesus is raising is that we have enough problems today. Lets deal with them now without bothering ourselves with tomorrow's problems. The command is "Do not worry about tomorrow"

• 3 weeks later...

Q5. (Matthew 6:34) Is there humor intended in verse 34?

Jesus may have smiled when He said to His disciples, "for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself."

What is the point of Jesus' joke here?

The point of the joke here is that we have no idea and no way of knowing what tomorrow holds, unless the Father reveals them to us. Therefore why worry about something that you have no control over.

What is the command in this verse?

The command here is to take no thought for the morrow.

• 1 month later...

Q5. (Matthew 6:34) Is there humor intended in verse 34? What is the point of Jesus' joke here? What is the command in this verse?

If you stop and think about it for a minute, there is the possibility that we won't be here tomorrow-for Jesus could come and snatch us all away! Do what you can today. What you can't do, leave to God.

I find it amazing that we stress over how we will pay our bills or how we will eat, etc, when all we have to do is believe that God will do what He says He will do. I have trouble with this myself. I was taught at a very early age that no one gives you anything-you have to work for everything you get. So I have a problem with asking for help. But God is bigger and more powerful than any puny humanistic belief that we might have been taught or came up with ourselves! The best part is, He loves us, and WANTS to take care of us! Gloray to God Almighty!!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

Yes, humor does appear to be intended, the point being the perception that tomorrow can't really worry, let alone worry about itself.

The command is to take life a day at a time. Since worry is only in the future, if we live only for today, that eliminates the possibility of worry.

• 5 months later...

Jesus' point is that worry does nothing . Seek God when you are troubled and ask his help. God will give us strength. Let tomorrow worry about itself.

Yes, I think there is humor when I think about how God sees how nieve we are when it comes to trusting him with today, tomorrow, and the future. I think the point is worrying will not get you anywhere. It will not solve, only create more problems. The command is DO NOT WORRY. DEPEND ON THE LORD.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

It sure seems like He is having a little joke.

The point is that it is just as silly for us to worry much about tomorrow as it is to think of tomorrow worrying about itself.

"Do not worry about tomorrow."

• 1 year later...

I think that Jesus must have smiled as He said these words, but He is making a serious point which is that first; there is no point in worrying about tomorrow, because no amount of worrying can add even 1 minute to our lives and second; there is no need to worry because God has me in His care.

• 1 month later...

I think the joke is He points out the futility of worry and how little it accomplishes. Like others have replied, it adds nothing and it can be very destructive to our faith as well as is a poor witness to others. To worry is disobedience because He commands us not to.

• 1 year later...

I didn't find the verse to be humorous at all. I think Jesus is teaching us that while here on this earth we will experience trouble, it's a given, Adam saw to that when he invited sin into the world. But that we should NOT WORRY about worldly trouble, though always present and each of us will experience our own hardships here on earth it is temporal, but His promise is eternal.

• 1 month later...

Q5. (Matthew 6:34)

Is there humor intended in verse 34?

I don't think there was any humor intended in the verse.

What is the point of Jesus' joke here?

The point of Jesus here is that, we should deal with today with God's help and we will deal with tomorrow when tomorrow comes.

What is the command in this verse?

The command in this verse is: Don't worry about tomorrow.

• 2 months later...

IF we have faith and IF we know God is in charge and IF we know He will take care of our needs and IF we are to spend eternity with Him in a future perfect world, THEN how can we be worried? Well, the answer is we are all human with our selfish needs and wants and doubts and sins and .....worries.

Jesus knows these failures and our frailty. This is His reminder (and maybe a little bit of an admonishment).

At the ripe old age of 23 I had a job interview with a small private company. After an employment offer was made, I was wondering aloud about the company. "The salary is ok, but they have no retirement and just a little medical benefit......." A professor overheard me and screeched " Retirement?!! What are you worried about that for?!"

We sit in the presence of the Creator of the universe who holds our lives in his hands. He made us and put us here for His pleasure. He has has promised to take care of us. Yet we worry about tomorrow, as if we could do anything to change it. Hey! It's His plan!

If we stand back and look at this picture (and can laugh at ourselves) our worries are laughable. Not mocking. Not unkind. Not mean-spirited. But, rather, somewaht sadly laughable.

(Today, I don't even intend to retire.)

• 1 year later...

Flying blind again!

Jesus has a very dry sense of humor.  Jesus is saying every day brings its share of problems.  And, we manage to find most of them.  Do not worry!  Do not worry what is going to happen in the future.  That is borrowing trouble.  And, like Jesus said we find enough without looking for more.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I believe that Jesus had a sense of humor. I believe that we do not hear enough about those personal moments between him and his 12 closest friends. The point of the joke is that tomorrow never comes. It is always tomorrow. It is in a realm all of its own. Live for the day. Seize the moment. Be the best that you can be right now for this is what really matters. This is where we can make or break our lives.

• 4 weeks later...

There is humor intended in verse 34 but the point of the joke is that we don’t need to worry about what tomorrow is going to bring. There is nothing that we can do about it anyway. So the command is to take care of today and tomorrow He will help you take care that also.

• 2 years later...
On 12/19/2007 at 10:48 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Yes,

Why should we take tomorrows worry's away from tomorrow for today.

Not to worry. 

• 2 years later...

I guess one can see it as humour.  I think Jesus is putting the point accross that we need to look at "one day at a time".  Each day's worries (happenings) are sufficient for that particular day. Tomorrow's will be sufficient for tomorrow.

The command is DO NOT WORRY (BE ANXIOUS) about tomorrow.

DO NOT WORRY!!!!!