JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Rejoicing in Our Sufferings

Q2. (Romans 5:2-5) According to this passage why should we rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations?

Because we are being built up in the important character traits of perseverance character and hope. Without problems arising that test us we have no need to grow into mature people.

One by one, what is the importance to our lives of: perseverance, tried character, and hope?

Perseverance is a necessary trait to have because without it we'll give up at the first sign of trouble and the first obstacle to our walk with God.

Tried character is a sign of being mature. People feel they can depend on a person of strong character who doesn't bend in the wind of every new and not necessarily good thing to come along.

Without hope, what have we got and why are we Christians? The hope of the prize, the Heavenly reward, the eternal fellowship with God is the whole point of becoming a Christian.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (Romans 5:2-5) According to this passage why should we rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations?

It's because through suffering and tribulation God is doing a work in us. It is a process of refining for us.

One by one, what is the importance to our lives of perseverance, tried character, and hope?

Perseverance is important because we have to learn to endure with a good attitude. In other words we have to walk in love both with ourselves and with our fellow man no matter what we are going through. This can only be learned as we are taken through wilderness experiences where we have to endure certain things, if we come out victorious not losing our fight to do good and stay grafted in Christ then we can say that we have persevered.

Tried character is important because without the trial you can not say for sure what your reaction to a particular circumstance would be or if you will truly stand up for what you believe. In order to know what we have inside us it is necessary to pass through trials or tests in order to determine that our character is tried and is in conformance with the image of Christ.

Hope is what differentiates us from all others. It is the hope that in Christ we are truly at peace with God and call him Father. It is that which assures us that if we cling to Jesus we will be with God for eternity in Heaven.

• 1 month later...

Q2. (Romans 5:2-5) According to this passage <i>why</i> should we rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations? One by one, what is the importance to our lives of: perseverance, tried character, and hope?

No one likes to suffer, unless they have some psychological issues that need to be resolved. However we can rejoice in our suffering and tribulations because we know God is in control and will use it to develope us into more of the person He wants us to be. Perseverance is important because it means we'll keep pressing on toward the goal no matter what the circumstances around us. Tried character means that the more we persevere the more we develope the character God wants from us. Hope is the sure knowledge that God will keep his promises, will not give us more than we can handle and will work all the struggles we go through to a positive end in His time.

• 1 month later...

In this world we live in , we will constantly be baraged by trials and tribulations. If we believe that we are Christ's and live for him totally, we have to belive that he will save us from all trials and tribulations. It will be hard but to Persever will enhance our belief system we will know that it is for a purpose that God allows certain test in our lives. We will develope character and our HOPE is knowing that after it is all over that we can bask in God's glory and our great expectation of eternal life.

• 3 weeks later...

Because without our sufferings we can't relate to the world. God is preparing us to be able to preach to all a bit at a time.

Through the understanding of other peoples problems because we have truly been there, we are able to stand beside them and say "i understand what you are going through". God brings us through the trials and sufferings.

If you have been a single parent you can relate to another single parent.

If you have been through divorce you can relate to another divorcee

If you have an illness you can relate to others with that illness.

Whether or not the trials of life have been resolved you can relate to others.

You can be a bridge in the gap where they can only see no hope. No future. You because of having faith in Jesus know that there is a future, there is hope.

Our sufferings are nothing compared to what Christ did for us. We need to seek Him, and ask for deeper relationship. As we approach the Cross, we slowly let Him rule us, though really God is doing all the work in leading us on this path of humility and service to our Savior. There is no suffering we can imagine for us that compares to His. So we must rejoice, and seek to grow in this way, to be a better servant and to be able to better glorify Him with our lives!

• 2 weeks later...

We should rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations for two main reasons, one, our father is there with us with all his love for us, and two their will be treasures waiting for us up in heaven, our true home, for eternity if we believe.

1.)perserverance: with this were are persistance in the Lord and Our Father for all they do.

2.) tried character: with this while your character is being tried by everyday, dont lose your faith in the Lord and Our Father.

3.) hope: hope is where thru all the trials you remain hopeful, you need to know that God is there and will provide for your hope.

• 4 weeks later...

Q2. (Romans 5:2-5) According to this passage <i>why</i> should we rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations? One by one, what is the importance to our lives of: perseverance, tried character, and hope?

Tribulation produces perseverance which produces character, creating hope which does not disappoint.

Perseverance:Teaches us to endure and learn patience.

Character:This is the traits that make up our person.

Hope:Teaches us who we are and why we are here.

• 3 weeks later...

Q2. (Romans 5:2-5) According to this passage why should we rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations? One by one, what is the importance to our lives of: perseverance, tried character, and hope?

According to this passage why should we rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations? "...we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope." (Rom 5:3-4)

One by one, what is the importance to our lives of:

perseverance: without it we would quit at the first difficulties along the way.

tried character: fruit of perseverance results in a mature Christian life. It makes us able to guide others through difficult times by relying on our experiences.

hope: is what makes us persevere and fight the good fight.

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day

• 1 month later...

Perserverance to me is waiting on God. Knowing that I can't do it alone. I can't do it by myself. As we go through the storms in our life to me having peace while it is happening is one of the greatest gifts we can have. I know there will be trials and tribulations but I also know that God walks with us to show us the way. I believe things happen for reasons, things that will make us stronger and through our suffering or tribulation I may be able to help someone else go through something later down the road. Our character is refined by trials and what better testimony to a non-believer than to see how we believers react and act during difficult times.

• 1 month later...

Q2. (Romans 5:2-5) According to this passage why should we rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations? One by one, what is the importance to our lives of: perseverance, tried character, and hope?

We should rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations because we are being taught patience, experience, and hope.

Perseverance is important because we go through trials, and we need to learn how to keep fighting the good fight through Jesus. The trials are continuous-they almost never stop coming.

Tried character is important because trials come to tear down our testimony, and our relationship with Jesus. So, we need to learn how to keep ourselves from doing or saying anything that will compromise our testimony, or bring a bad light to our Savior.

Hope is important because we need the hope that we have a better life coming, to keep us from getting discouraged and turn away from Jesus. Sometimes I find myself wishing that God had given us more information about eternity. I understand why He didn't but still, it would be great to have a little more knowledge.

• 3 weeks later...

1) Perseverance is important to get us through trials with the right attitude, just keep going, keep trusting, God is faithful. He will work it to our good.

2) Tried character has been through the trials, suffering and squeezing (tribulations) and been purified, like the refiners fire that brings the dross to the surface so the master can remove the impurities, so making us in to a worthy vessel.

3) Hope helps us to look ahead to the finished work of sanctification and to our final heavenly home.

• 3 months later...

Q2. (Romans 5:2-5) According to this passage why should we rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations? One by one, what is the importance to our lives of perseverance, tried character, and hope?

We should rejoyce in our suffering and tribulations because it developes endurance and endurance developes strength of character which brings more confidance in our salvation.

It teaches us to lean on God and not try to do everything in our own strength. God gives us the strength and guidance of the Holy Ghost which helps us overcome temptation and sin. :)

Q2. (Romans 5:2-5) According to this passage why should we rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations? One by one, what is the importance to our lives of perseverance, tried character, and hope?

We should rejoyce in our suffering and tribulations because it developes endurance and endurance developes strength of character which brings more confidance in our salvation.

It teaches us to lean on God and not try to do everything in our own strength. God gives us the strength and guidance of the Holy Ghost which helps us overcome temptation and sin. :)

• 3 weeks later...

As we deal and cope with trials and suffering in the life, we have the blessing of knowing Jesus is with us and will help us get through withever life brings. We can grow stronger and develop character and endurance as we live according to the Word and depend on God for our strength. As we live this way, we grow stronger in hope and learn to live for eternal life with God. We know the things of this world will pass and are not really important.

As we live with the hope and anticipation of a new life, we will be tested and will experience trials and tribulations. As we rejoice during these times, God will gift us with the fruit of patience. I have copied and pasted another member's post because it is exactly how I understand this and I could not have stated it better (I hope this is ok!):

We should rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations because we are being taught patience, experience, and hope.

Perseverance is important because we go through trials, and we need to learn how to keep fighting the good fight through Jesus. The trials are continuous-they almost never stop coming.

Tried character is important because trials come to tear down our testimony, and our relationship with Jesus. So, we need to learn how to keep ourselves from doing or saying anything that will compromise our testimony, or bring a bad light to our Savior.

Hope is important because we need the hope that we have a better life coming, to keep us from getting discouraged and turn away from Jesus.

We should rejoice in our sufferings and tribulations because it is through this that God builds our character. Our sufferings and tribulations exposes our frailties and we begin to seek God and rely on Him completely. Then He carries us through. Of course we have to persevere before the happy ending. This is what gives us hope. That experience will get us through the many more sufferings and tribulations we may face later, all the time relying on Him. We will also be able to counsel and share this wonderful hope with other people who are facing similar sufferings.

• 3 months later...

Interesting question... I have an online blog which I began writing during a time when I was working at a highly stressful workplace. Back then I relayed how I was constantly being given additional duties each time a teacher left or someone was fired. I even added up all the hours my job description had inflated to become and it was an amazing 90 hours per week. The anxiety was unbelievable as I tried to respond to all of the additional dutiies on top of my own! However I discovered this anxiety drove me closer to God as I made a conscious choice to surrender the worry and pressure to Him. I even marvelled at my writings during that "high pressure" period--I can't believe that I wrote those cool headed, spiritual affirmations and devotionals. I'm amazed today as at this present moment I'm not sure I could write something so comforting, encouraging and assuring. Apparently, the "pressure made me do it as," I had no reserves to call upon and without anywhere to turn, I had to trust that God would get me through each worrisome day...and He did. I didn't know it at the time but, through my suffering and tension I was brought closer into Christ's presence.

Many positive things came out of that experience because I was driven close to God. From it I learned that it was during the hardest times of my life God was the nearest to me...it was also during those times that when I rested on His promises He brought me through to the other side and I am a better person today than had I not endured (with all of his help). It's certainly not a pretty situation and nothing we'd consciously wish for but... had I not had that experience I wouldn't have known the extent that God was with me teaching, guiding, directing and comforting.

• 2 weeks later...

Through the good and the bad, there is always a lesson to be learned. Through these lessons we grow and learn many things. We also learn about God. Through our experiences, we can also help others and by helping them, we are doing Gods work. He has a purpose for all things. It's not that he wants us to be hurt in anyway, but sometimes learning his ways can hurt. We should always be rejoiceful for the tough times because we come out a different and stronger person. Perserverance is a powerful thing to posess and to learn. It teaches us how powerful we are through God. We also learn he never gives us more then what we can handle. This builds our tried character. Our tried character is forever growing and it is where we hold what we have learned from our experiences. Hope is something we all need to make it through anything. Hope is knowing there is a not only a purpose to our lives but a rewarrding end to our lives. It is also knowing God is going through life with you. I like to always remember what Jesus did for us when he died for us on the cross. He showed such a great example of this lesson that day. Even at the worst of that day, he never gave up, and he had hope of the end of that day and what after that day would bring. Thank you Jesus.

• 1 month later...

Patience leads to experience, and experience to hope, describes why Christians should rejoice. We rejoice in the hope of god, because peace with god is no longer an enemy. When Christ died for our sins, we can come directly into the presence of God, Jesus is our redeemer, and we are not ashamed of this principle. Our minds are no longer dominated by sin, and its nature.(Rom. 8:7)

• 2 weeks later...

In my own walk with God,I have found that it is during difficult times,which I have had many, divorce, illness, financial, etc. that I grow the most in my relationship with God. I never "blame" God nor run away from Him in trouble. I always run towards Him. AND HE is ALWAYS there! I find that these difficult times help to build character and grow God's Holy Spirit living in and through me. These difficult times help me to break down the walls that stand in the way of the Holy Spirit working in me, the full Glory of God. If one perseveres, one will have a different perspective on life and the wonderful gift God has given. Through hard times, I have realized what GOOD times really are and I have realized God awesome POWER over everything in HIS CREATION, even our troubles, especially our troubles. and have set my priorities to be quite different .

Through perseverance, we grow in character and through character we grow in faith.

Tried character is perseverance, coupled with faith and hope in our Lord and Savior. We don't give up, or throw in the towel in times of trouble, or 'curse' God. What we do is remember Jesus, the Ultimate Sacrificial Lamb. and also the apostles and many others who have been tortured for Christ. We remember their, sacrifice, suffering, perseverance, and HOPE in the present and hope in the future, we realize ALL the Glory of God only when we suffer and grow in character.

• 1 month later...

Rejoicing when suffering is the last thing I do when in such a situation. I'm currently struggling to balance work and a personal life and it's getting overwhelmingly crushing at the moment. This verses remind me not to be happy about my problems, but despite of them.

Rejoice in the midst of problems is directly linked the the faith we have in God. Our faith helps us to have a different mindset in the midst of unpleasant circumstances.

Rejoicing builds endurance-and who doesn't want endurance in this marathon called life? Life never lets up, it keeps coming out us. When the worldly response is to try and relax more by going on vacation, drinking, drugs, sex and other distractions, our weapon of choice is odd- REJOICING! The Kingdom of God is truly and upside-down kingdom!

Toughness is not all we get when we rejoice in the midst of our troubles, our character is strengthened as well, we become more confident in the hope of our salvation that will keep us rejoicing. With this cycle, life's disappointments and struggles cannot overwhelm us. In fact, problems push up into God's arms, where we should be anyway.

Easier said than done. This is one of those verses that are best memorized so that we constantly remind ourselves to rejoice in the midst of our daily grind.

• 5 months later...

We should rejoice in suffering as we now know that is God's method of leading us forward to the development characteristics of a more mature Christian, namely, Character, Perseverance and Hope. At the outset of our pilgimage, we may have bveen unaware that these things are necessary for a mature Christian. But now we do, from the verses we are studying.

• 2 weeks later...

1.) We rejoice because we have hope of the glory of God (5:2). Though we presently live here on this earth and we're weighed down with the daily struggles of life, temptations to sin, and hardships, we know that we're "foreigners" here and we have a better home with God. Whatever trials and sufferings we face here, we have the hope of the fulfillment of God's promises in Jesus, and for this we can rejoice no matter what this life brings.

2.) Our trials and sufferings allow us to exercise our faith, to trust God in every circumstance, and to grow in our faith as we see God work in our lives, strengthening us to persevere. Withstanding these sufferings, holding on to our faith and God's promises in the midst of them, builds (tried) character in us, enabling us to stand firm in the comforting knowledge that God honors His promises. And this is our hope, that we will be rewarded with all the promises of God through Jesus.