JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. One Person Acting for the Group

A. The list would certainly be longer than the following: in government, people are elected in order to make decisions for the people; in cooperation's, the heads/executives make decisions that governs not only for the cooperation, but the people that are employed; as to the law of the land, I must follow governing laws; a church council makes ruling that the church (members) must follow; fathers/mothers make decisions for the family group; even a person makes decision that he/she must follow, not only for their personal health, but for their spiritual health.

B. "We see this in our own day. A king declares war, thus committing all the young men in his country and those of allied nations to risk their lives as soldiers. A president breaks the terms of a treaty, thereby plunging his nation into war" (Lesson).

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. What kinds of circumstances in modern life can you think of where a single person acts for an entire group? In what ways are members of the group tied to this person?

I immediately thought of our ex-President of our country, South Africa, whose corrupt decisions affected everyone. Everyone was subject to the decisions he made. The people he appointed to Parliament, the State Capture that he was responsible for etc...Our new President of our democracy is already is getting our support as a nation as the wrongs are quickly being righted,

• 4 months later...

Q1. What kinds of circumstances in modern life can you think of where a single person acts for an entire group? In what ways are members of the group tied to this person? http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=796

This was a most amazing discovery for me and something I don’t know if ever I gave thought to such a cause and effect idea. It was confusing to me (as much of the book of Romans has always been for me) at first but I asked God to fill in the blanks for me and I stand in awe at the answer He gave me. I’m sure everybody has already named the things like how a dictator’s actions result in the deaths of soldiers from more than just his country, etc., but the circumstance I saw nowhere was how Jesus affected His whole group of people by dying in our place.  That is the most significant act that will have ever taken place. All the members of the church which follows Jesus are in Jesus and Him in us. We couldn’t possibly get tied any tighter to a person than that.

• 11 months later...

Fathers making decisions that affect their spouse an children. Owners of a company who make a deal with a customer, or who might make an unethical deal/decision. Judges who interpret law and hand out sentences.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...

When a king declares war and all the men in the nation have to go and fight in it like in Vietnam or in the war with Iraq. .

When a presdent breaks the terms of a treaty and plunges the whole country into war.

When Hitler decided that anyone who was not from the superior race was to be killed; he plunged Germany and other countries into war to prevent mass killings.

• 1 month later...

Q1. What kinds of circumstances in modern life can you think of where a single person acts for an entire group? In what ways are members of the group tied to this person?

When a president chooses to sign multiple executive orders without authorization from the people thinking that the people of that country are the ones that want this when it is actually just a minority who does.  A classic example of this is the former Pr. Obama who did this and then Pr. Trump had to override everything with them as well. Now Obama's vp wants to do the same thing as Obama as well. They are tied to him since he and they are all members of the same country and he is their country's leader.

• 2 months later...

You all have covered the gamut so thoroughly; I don’t think I can add much to what has already been so well said. 
I have a few thoughts on their implications, however, that I hope add to the discussion. Sometimes we have choices in who is our representative head, ie; the person we marry, where we go to church, where we work, etc., but we don’t have ultimate say or determination unless we are the “head or representative” of that entity. Two considerations: (1) Choose wisely who you voluntarily place over you as representative, (2) If I be in a position that affects those under me, be wise, full of integrity, fully aware of the ramifications of my choices and the elevation of accountability - both positive and negative. 
Lastly, I marvel at the eternal blessings that are mine, both presently and for all eternity, because I have been redeemed from the first Adam and am now in Christ Jesus. No less than twelve times in twelve verses (Eph. 1:3-14) am I told that “in Christ”, “in Him”, “in the Beloved”, I have received abundantly because Christ’s claims over me are the “much more’s” repeated emphatically in Rom. 5:3,9,10,15,17,20. When Satan or the Adamic self tries to reign, I can confidently say, “Too bad, step aside, I’m with Him (Jesus)!”

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The first one is Christ Who gives us examples on how to live, act in various  circumstances, wait, trust etc.  We are tied to Christ as His followers. 

Then we come to leaders in the countries we live in  ...   the president decides this will be what is done ...  it gets made a part of the law and is done ... eg   ....   isolation, wearing masks etc during Covid-19 pandemic. This is what we then have to do and bide by it.    Some decisions make sense others don't.     Murdering of babies sure doesn't. 

So we go on .... as the community thought of is decreased .... 

President of a country

Provincial leader

Leader in the town

Leader in the township

CEO

Leader in the church

Parents

Headmaster of the school

Class teacher

etc.

Members of the group need to act in accordance with the decision of the leader or else they cannot be counted as part of that group. 

• 2 years later...

All relationships are, in essence, hierarchical -- one person is stronger in a particular area or manner than the other. For this reason, men are over women in marriage, not oppressively, but as Christ is to the church. He acts as a proxy for all the members of the family. He provides "cover" for everyone in it. 

It is quite possible, and even encouraged by the dominant secular culture, to usurp the role of the father. Certain forms of feminism will do this as well as rebellious children. When this happens, the myth of egalitarianism raises it's ugly head. 

In the Godhead, the Father, son and spirit are co-equal, but there is clearly a hierarchy as well. The Father sends the son to die ... the son sends the Spirit into the church at Pentecost. 

We are tied to each other, then, when we are in right relation to each other. We sever the ties when we usurp the God-given hierarchical roles that God has provided.