JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. One Person Acting for the Group

I immediately think about George W. Bush who caused wars for millions.

Evie already mentioned Adolf Hitler.

He killed for example my greatgrandfather so my grandfather became crazy so he was a bad father so my mother and her brethren still are traumatized.

They have not known Hitler but evil deeds work throughout the generations.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a very interesting concept, and yes--very hard to grasp in our individualistic American culture. In fact, I am still resisting this concept because it is so ingrained in us that everything is about the individual. The idea of a person acting on our behalf seems unfair--except for when it's a positive, like Jesus. Many of the examples have already been mentioned. As a mother of young children, I do see how my actions determine everything for my kids. Also, when I see parents make a sudden move, get divorced, stop going to church, or spend money irresponsibly, they bring the kids along with them. The child has no chance to decide otherwise.

I love analyzing the original language in scripture and getting to some of these ideas!

• 4 weeks later...

Q1. What kinds of circumstances in modern life can you think of where a single person acts for an entire group? In what ways are members of the group tied to this person?

The presidant of the USA. The people of the USA gives the presidant ideas so he can make the USA a better place to live.

Q1. What kinds of circumstances in modern life can you think of where a single person acts for an entire group? In what ways are members of the group tied to this person?

In an presidant election acts for the repbulican or democratic party. They are tied to the person because they want the person to win the election.

• 1 month later...

We only need to look at Washington now to see how the actions of a few will change the entire nation. But this happens at all levels: government of all areas, down to villages; businesses; families; churches. I never thought of Adam this way before.

A political leader such as a president of a country, or a business leader such as the CEO of a company is a good analogy, although typically, unless the leader is a dictator, the president or CEO doesn't act entirely alone, but working together with other elected politicians in the case of a president or other board members in the case of a CEO. The head of a family is another example, although again, in most families, decisions tend to be taken after consultation between family members. In each case though, there are circumstances in which the ultimate head - be it the President or CEO or the head of the family - makes the final decision and at that point acts on behalf of the whole group (nation, employees or family members). When such a decision is taken then some part of the future of the individual members of that group is tied to the results of the heads decision, good or bad.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, Dr. Ralph,

It's sad, but I immediately think of the suicide terrorists when I think of someone acting for the whole group. Possibly an elected official will act for the whole group, too. The members of the group are usually tied to this person through shared beliefs.

• 1 month later...

CEOs and Presidents of companies though they may have board members and committee under them often make decisions which are carried out and affect members of their company(ies). These members of the company may be affected by increased benefits or to the other extreme job losses.

There are many scenarios the first one for me that comes to mind is a captain of a ship or a captain of a rugby team.

In a rugby team they are bound because they choose too be. A rugby captain is chosen by the players and which have earned the respect of the players around him.

On a ship a person is tied to the captain by dependance. They depend on him to make the right choices when they are in a storm or at battle.

In modern life, an example of one person acting for an entire group would be a single parent household (or family); it is up to that one person to go out, work, and provide food, clothing, and shelter for all the members of that family. The family is dependent on the parent going to work.

• 1 month later...

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=796

• 3 weeks later...

A president makes decisions for his country.

The residents are tied to the president.

The only thing they can do is to vote better next time or to have a revolution.

But this doesn't take away what the president has already done.

The bank-persons caused the stockmarkets and banks to fall.

Now the whole world has a financial crisis.

Many people lost their savings and jobs.

Since we all need money, we're tied to those ***.

• 2 weeks later...

ANS - Our elected leaders represent us in councils, legislatures, and in Congress. They vote and make decisions on issues representing their constituents, at least we hope they do. Our president represents our country and our citizens when attending international meetings and summits. We trust in his judgement that he will represent us well and make wise decisions. A quarterback leads his team on the football field. The team oftentimes wins or loses because of the decisions, leadership, and skills of the quarterback. In these cases the citizenry lives, and the football team are affected by the decisions of its representatives, and quarterback.

• 2 weeks later...

What kinds of circumstances in modern life can you think of where a single person acts for an entire group? In what ways are members of the group tied to this person?

In modern day life we are affected by the decisions that our people in power make, such as qa president delaring war...this affects not only the young men, but the nation....the families, the moral of a people. There are ways that people in finacnial positions have made decsions that we have all paid a bitter price for. We are tied to that person or persons because our lives are affected daily.

• 3 weeks later...

What kinds of circumstances in modern life can you think of where a single person acts for an entire group? In what ways are members of the group tied to this person?

I believe everyone covered how a single person acts for an entire group. My thoughts took me into a connected but different direction. I feel that this is where my faith comes into play, because I have to learn to trust that its GOD's will as to why this person has been placed into a leadership position over me. Why is that so difficult though? Often, the people that are in charge are the worse people suited for any type leadership role. I need to trust the LORD that there is an ultimate rhyme and reason as to why this person has been placed in this position.

LORD, I pray for increased faith!!

The kind of circumstances in modern life that I can think of where a single person acts for the entire group is the president of the United States. Like it or not he is always invoking us by saying that the United States thinks this and that.

The ways that members of the group is tied to this person is that if that country declares war on us because of what he said, we all have to give up something for that war.

good morning

here is my senerio

a group of teenagers are walking down the street

one boy from inside of the group throws a

rock and hits a car

now the whole group is blamed for throwing the rock

because the one that throw the rock is not speaking

and now all the teenagers everywhere are horible children

and there parents dont know how to take care of there children

and it just esclates

amen

• 2 weeks later...

a)President/P.M’s decision to go to war in Iraq/Afghanistan etc, Military leaders also affects many groups of people in Armed forces, their families,& society in general with terrorism risks. :huh:B) People are tied to these people in that they are greatly influenced by the “leader”, trusting & expecting well considered leadership, depending on it to function in a cohesive way. They are tied emotionally, physically,financially etc and all affected in someway when at war/big national decisions. The members reflect back on leadership looking at conduct, attitudes &choices made. B)

• 2 weeks later...

Answer-The Japanese,invasion of Asia pacific,attacking also Pearl Harbor,dragging America into declaring War with them.,and in turn,dropping of the first atomic bomb in Hiroshima and Nagasaki,killing thousands of innocent people.,because of the single act or decision of its leader.The people who perish during those war are united in their stand behind their leaders whether they are agreeable to the decision or not.

• 2 weeks later...

Presidents, CEOs, fathers, and even mothers are single people who act for a group. The members of the group are a part of a body and the one acting for the group is the "head". Pastors may act as "heads" sometimes but they usually work in conjunction with a body of elders or other leadership accountability.

• 5 weeks later...

Pastor of a Church if he falls into sin the whole church is affected... there is a split and people follow the man rather than Christ. Any one of us can fall, we are all human, so we have to stay in the Word and in Christ.

The President's actions, Our parents, they sin, we suffer. WE need to walk in the Spirit.

• 4 weeks later...

Let's go to the business world, in this example a restaurant. The manager of the restaurant gets a request to cater a meal for a customer. He accepts that request thereby causing his employees to have to do the actual work to provide the service for this patron by cooking the meal and probably serving it as well at the event, and any other services that would involve in the manager providing this service.

• 1 month later...

Simple one first- Most families have a head usually the father and he usually takes decisions for everyone. The connection is that of filial affection, trust and respect.

Presidents- They make decisions that affect their country. The connection is that of loyalty and laws which punish dissent or treason.