JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Coming Under Christ's Headship

Q4. (Romans 6:2-5) According to this passage, at what point do we move from being under the headship of Adam to the headship of Christ? Is there anything we must do to bring about this change in headship? What are the implications of us having died with Christ?

Answer

We move into the headship of Christ once we accept him as our lord and savior and when we were baptized into Christ. As we are baptized into Christ we have also been baptized into his death just as we are dead to sin.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (Romans 6:2-5) According to this passage, at what point do we move from being under the headship of Adam to the headship of Christ? Is there anything we must do to bring about this change in headship? What are the implications of us having died with Christ?

We move the headship when we die to sin. According to the lesson we show that we died to sin by being baptized. The implication is that we now live in Christ. We are a part of the body of Christ. We are in Him.

• 10 months later...

We come from being under the headship of Adam to being under the headship of Christ when we believe in faith in Christ. When we are baptized in Christ we died to the old life of sin and live a new life in Christ. 

The implication of us having died with Christ is implied with our outward display of baptism, signifying we acknowledge His sacrifice for our sins and we become His disciples and love one another as He loved us.  

• 7 months later...

It would seem that humankind would be under the headship of adam until the time of the resurrection. At that point than we are 'in Christ', we are 'members of the body of Christ, we are 'buried in Christ', we are baptized unto Christ and we are 'crucified with Christ'. Hence we are safe in the arms of Jesus and the power of the comforting Holy Spirit protects us from the evils if the realm in which we presently life. 

Well, technically we need to accept Jesus into our lives as Lord. AS Paul told the jailer in Acts 16.10 'Believe on the Lord Jesus and you will be saved.'

If we die unto Christ than according to Paul we are unite with Christ in Hid resurrection! (Romans 6.5)

• 4 months later...

This answer would seem obvious to me. When we give up our life for the life that Christ offers when He died on the cross is when we change headships. Salvation and acceptance of Jesus' sacrifice for our sins is the changing point.

The implications are many. We are "new" in every sense of the word. We are now representatives for God and what He has done for us. Our outlook on sin is new, as is our outlook on eternal life. We are now burdened as Christ was for our fellow man and desire to let everyone know about Him. We are changed; we are new; we are different from the world; we are being sanctified daily and our goal is two-fold: to be more like Jesus and to bring as many as we can to know Him.

• 4 months later...

I think that we leave the "Headship of Adam" the moment Jesus dies on the cross. This is when we are released from all of our sin and become one with Christ.  With baptism we surrender totally to Christ, death of the old self takes place and new life commences.

From then on our lives are lived in and through Christ .

The implications will be that we will have been "washed clean of all sin" our old self will have died in the process. From then on we will  live our lives through Christ and we will become candidates for "eternal life".

• 2 years later...

Through baptism by full immersion we move from being ' earthly ' to being ' In Christ ' - Having died with Christ we are assured of eternal life.

• 3 months later...

Q4. (Romans 6:2-5) According to this passage, at what point do we move from being under the headship of Adam to the headship of Christ? Is there anything we must do to bring about this change in headship? What are the implications of us having died with Christ? http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=799

We would come under the headship of Christ according to what it says in Romans 6:3, Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? When we are baptized into his death, we (the old we), in a spiritual sense die also because we become dead to sin. Is there anything we must do? We need to believe the fact that our sins are buried in the deepest deep and accept Jesus as the Head and begin to follow him. We need to unite as one in Jesus’s name and show love to one another. Reminds me of the song “They Will Know We Are Christians By Our Love”.

• 1 year later...

We transitioned from Adam's headship when we died with Christ; for every soul that is corrupted with the sinful nature must die (Ezekiel 18:20). Since death is the natural consequence of sin, Christ's death brought about the end of a dispensation for all mankind - from Adam to the last human.

However, He (and we) didn't stay dead as new life was breathed into Him on the third day (Romans 8:11) to begin a new dispensation - reconciliation with God. Just like Adam's headship was based on being the first of humankind, Christ's headship is also based on being the first resurrected soul. 

To realise this change of Headship, we need to acknowledge His finished work (confession) and accept the baptism of the Holy Spirit (new life). 

The implications are:

1) no more "spiritual death" / Reconciliation (Hebrews 9:27)

2) no longer dominated by the sinful nature (Romans 8:11)

3) partakers in His divine destiny - becoming humankind's judges and kings in His kingdom  (Romans 8:17). 

• 5 months later...

We move from the headship of Adam to the headship of Christ once we are united and baptized into His death.

We must acknowledge that we cannot do anything to earn our way into heaven or have our sins or trespasses forgiven. That Jesus is the only one who can die in our place for us and then accept what He has done for us.

We must acknowledge that we cannot do anything to earn our way into heaven or have our sins or trespasses forgiven. That Jesus is the only one who can die in our place for us and then accept what He has done for us.

We are redeemed and a part of His body, His bride. We are no longer condemned by justified. We are to love each other and the world.

• 1 month later...

When we choose to die to sin and become alive to righteousness in God is when we go from the headship of Adam to the headship of Christ. Yes we must choose to be baptized the same way Jesus was because it is symbolic of His death. Our baptism.

• 2 months later...

All that Christ accomplished at the cross (bearing the sin of the world, paying the wages of sin, justly meeting the requirement of the law, satisfying God’s holy standard, defeating Satan and sin’s tyranny) becomes my inheritance the moment I receive by faith and fully rely on His gracious, undeserving action of love for me. So powerful is my identification with Christ that all I was bound to under the old master is demolished. Positionally I am awarded a new citizenship with a new Master - truly emancipated from the control and consequences of the former. “For He rescued us from the domain of darkness, and transferred us to the kingdom of His beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.” (Col. 1:13-14) These are magnificent truths and have real implications that I must live into. 

Having died with Christ, I died also. The old self was put in the coffin and made powerless. Sin is still present and must be fought but no longer ruling. I have a new life in Christ and new loves. The grace and love of God, rather than the power of sin and self, compel and motivate me now. My union with Christ reckons me no longer a slave to sin. As I live in the reality of of my union with Christ, the life of Christ is manifested in a transformed character that looks increasingly more like His and less like the old me. 
Thanks be to God who gives us and produces in us the victory!

• 2 months later...

When we accept Christ as our Saviour we move from one headship to the other. By being baptised we acknowledge this step openly and show that we have died with Christ (we go under the water) and then when we come up from the water we show that we have risen with Him. 

By the baptism we show we have laid aside the old body of sin and have risen to newness of life in Christ. Now it is a new nature that is living. A new life under Christ's headship. 

• 2 years later...

Though moving from the headship of the first to the second Adam is instantaneous as it happened at the moment of our salvation, the practical outworkings of such a move do not happen instantaneously, but take a spiritual lifetime.  

I am in Christ. The Spirit, likewise, is in me. There seems to be a mutual indwelling -- identity? -- between God and myself that happens at salvation, yet I can push God out if I try to return to the original headship of the First Adam. God's indwelling is by invitation, not by force.

I think of it as holding dual passports and deciding which passport to travel under. I can travel under God's passport and experience His blessings, trials, heartache, love, etc. Christ gives me a choice, constantly, to submit to Him or to the old Adam that still tugs at me.

Thus, I choose to travel under the Old Adam's passport to wherever deathly and ultimately painful destinations it brings me, or to travel under the new passport of Christ, in a manner like "Christian" in John Bunyan. One would think this choice would be easy to make, but the old Adam still allures and the new Christian identity can be very painful as it includes this-worldly loss. 

I wish it were as easy as being dunked and coming out of the baptismal waters a new person, but in reality, after baptism, I'm the same old person who was given, so graciously, a new choice, to live under the headship of Christ.