JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Obedience and Sin's Reign

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before we knew Christ, the enemy reigned in our lives, ans we were part of his dominion. We were slaves to sin. Now that Christ rules our lives we are no longer slaves to sin. Sin no longer has dominion.

We are slaves to righteousness, obedient to God's Word and serving in God's Kingdom.

Sin reigned in our bodies before we accepted Jesus as ruler of our lives. We were drawn to sin like iron to a magnet. God has shaken sin's hold on us & we are now servants to God & to righteousness. However, we still need to CHOOSE to not sin & to obey God, intentionally.

Q1. (Romans 6:12) What does obedience have to do with the "reign" of sin?

I can remember being a slave to sin, there is no denying that it had a strong hold on me, but that strong hold dissolved with Christ.

I am no longer a slave to sin, a new Master reigns over me.

And I willingly and gratefully accept Christ as my Divine Master because of the love I have for Him.

I obey the one that I am allowing to reign in my life. If sin is reigning in my life, then it is sin I will obey and not God.

By accepting I am dead to sin, I no longer have to obey it and no longer will it have dominance or reign over me.

This leaves me free to obey God and to allow Him rule, reign and dominance over me.

Many Christians feel plagued by guilt, especially when they have done something to feel justified by guilt. Unfortunately, this is the time when we feel like God has left us, but in reality, we are the ones who

Because we are no longer under the bondage of sin, we cannot let sin reign through the desires of our body. We can resist those desires by being obedient to Christ, refusing to place our body and mind at the hands of sin. By presenting ourselves to the righteousness o God. Being covered by His righteousness.

• 2 weeks later...

We are born with a sinful nature, When we accept the Lord Jesus as our redeemer, we become righteousness of God. But Satan is still reclaiming us。 We need to cooperate with the Holy spirit, so He can help us to surrender ourselves to God. By resisting (James4.7), or even "having done everything...(Ephesians 6.13, a passage I love so much)", we are telling God that we accept Him to free us, and He loves that so much... so much, I m experiencing that : "God loves obedience so much..."

Obeying God is the result of our separation from the reign of sin and joining(being under) the God' s reign.

As Christians we are not to let sin reign in our mortal bodies. We are not to obey sin's evil desires.

Before we became saved we had no choice but to obey sin which was our master.

However, as Christians,we now serve a new master in Christ. We have been purchased from our old master-sin-by the blood of Christ.

We can obey the sinful lusts, passions, and self-centered pursuits which reign in our lives before we are liberated by Jesus Christ. Then we begin to obey Kingdom principles presented in the Bible and taught by Jesus -- you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free.

• 2 weeks later...

In the war, in Germany, there was Hitler and there was the underground. You belonged to either one or the other. If the underground could not trust you (to behave appropriately) then you were not a member. To be a member you had to prove your trustworthy character, and were then involved in the saving work of the underground. If you were not trustworthy you had no part. You could not be a "swinging voter".

So it is with sin and righteousness. One is either obedient to righteousness in an observable manner that affects your entire life or you belong to the class of sin. God is the observer. He knows exactly who He has and who He hasn't. He knows exactly where our hearts lie. We have to be determined on the path of righteousness in this war against the evil one. We cannot afford to have any truck with sin. Our weapons have to be honed and ready for battle and we have to be expert in their use. We can afford no minor allegiances to the enemy. There is no possibility of being a "swinging voter" because a man in two minds will get nothing from the Lord. (James 1:6-8 and James 4:8).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When it comes to the reigm of sin, we must practice obedience to righteousness to fully break the reign of sin. Jesus truly gave us the power to break the chains of sinfulness but, it is through our faith and submitting to His teachings that we are able to break free of our sinful habits,

Paul states that we are not to let sin control the way we live. We are not to allow sin to have dominion over us nor yield to its lusts, temptations or desires. It is through obedience to God and to His Word that righteousness will reign in us and sin will not reign over us. Hallelujah!!!