JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. The Law Reveals and Provokes Sin

Q2. (Romans 7:7-8) The law reveals sin for what it is. Why wouldn't we be better off just not knowing that we should not covet, for example? Why does the flesh respond to being told "Do not covet" by coveting all the more?

Romans 7:7 What shall we say, then? Is the law sinful? Certainly not! Nevertheless, I would not have known what sin had it not been for the law. For I would not have known what coveting really was if the law had not said, “You shall not covet.” 8 But sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, produced in me every kind of coveting. For apart from the law, sin was dead.

A1. I really do not get this statement or why Paul made it? It sounds like Paul is being sarcastic. I mean how can the law be sinful. The law does not say this, the commandments say "Thou shall not covet thy neighbors things." The commandments and the laws are separate to me because the law said you had to be circumcised. The law said if a woman's husband died, his brother was to take her as his wife. The law said if a woman had a baby, she had to have a seven day separation. The law was like any municipal, state or federal laws to me, a set of rules to govern people by. The bible says the laws were made for lawless people and without the laws we would not know how to govern ourselves because there would be no rules and we could just go around shooting each other and it would be alright.

By the law, now sin is understood and now we can see all the sin which is within us like coveting and coveting in many circumstances whether a cow, horse, a spouse, children, handmaiden.

But I understand that Paul is speaking to the Romans so I believe he is trying to make them understand what sin is and remind the Jews that before the law came into existence, they did not know what sin was either.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I look at your question, it does not line up with the statement Paul made in a romans 7. Now I know at some point Paul says when I choose to do good, evil is always present, and the good I choose to do, I do not. Meaning no matter what I do temptation is always before me so that good I may want to do, I may be tempted to be contrary because contrary is a worthy adversary, always self-serving itself like at the gas pump, if nobody serves you, you just do what you want to do. The flesh always want to have it's way like a child wanting candy or pleasure even though you tell them constantly it is not good for them.

When I look at your question, it does not line up with the statement Paul made in a romans 7. Now I know at some point Paul says when I choose to do good, evil is always present, and the good I choose to do, I do not. Meaning no matter what I do temptation is always before me so that good I may want to do, I may be tempted to be contrary because contrary is a worthy adversary, always self-serving itself like at the gas pump, if nobody serves you, you just do what you want to do. The flesh always want to have it's way like a child wanting candy or pleasure even though you tell them constantly it is not good for them.

This scripture came to mind:

Romans 7:24-25

New King James Version (NKJV)

24 O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? 25 I thank God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!

So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin.

Because we are in these earthly temples, they are not sanctified to understand heavenly ways so until we give our lives over to Christ, study our word, let the Holy Spirit take full reign, it is impossible for us to live holy or to subdue the flesh even though within our mind we know to.

• 4 months later...

2. (Romans 7:7-8) The law reveals sin for what it is. Why wouldn't we be better off just not knowing that we should not covet, for example? Why does the flesh respond to being told "Do not covet" by coveting all the more?

I think that innately we do know right from wrong through our conscience. Satan wants us to believe that there are no boundaries. The law, boundaries, also act for our protection from complete chaos. We still have a sinful nature and will push the boundaries.

• 10 months later...

Q2. (Romans 7:7-8) The law reveals sin for what it is. Why wouldn't we be better off just not knowing that we should not covet, for example? Why does the flesh respond to being told "Do not covet" by coveting all the more?

With out the law, we would have never known that covetous was a sinful act against God or other people. We would not be held accountable for this sin, we would not know right from wrong. But now that we have the law, we understand it is sinful to covet and coming to this understanding of wrong doing our flesh goes to war with our spirit. Now that we know right from wrong we still can not resist the impulses of the flesh, only with the help of the Holy Spirit can we over come this battle within us.  

• 7 months later...

There is sin in the world-from the time of Adam and Eve. Cain murdered his brother. These were all punished- the wrath fell upon them. Adam and Eve had to leave their home in eden and work in the world to survive. Cain was ravished by the wrath. Whether we know it or not if we covet, for example, we are harming our relation with our neighbour and with God Himself. Thus the world is hurt by sin whether the sin is  defined or not.

When sin was defined by commandment the people became more aware of their sins. Although the flesh reacts to the knowing of the sin often by rebellion, yet often the reaction is positive. some children naturally rebell-in these the flesh seems strong. In others they want to obey-here the flesh is weaker. Both, however, need the hand of discipline to make them firmly aware of the consequent of sin. The flesh rebels often when presented with laws. This is probably more true in this day of individualism.

• 8 months later...

In order to glorify God, we must refrain from sinning, but our minds could not distinguish between right and wrong if we didn't have laws telling us what God expects. The laws themselves however,can not prevent  wrong doing.

It is natural to want the things we can't have (it's in our blood) as a result of Adams'  "original sin".   

Adam had all he needed, but unfortunately that did not satisfy him and we have "inherited" his desire to always want more than we need. 

• 2 years later...

Maybe using examples would be the best way to answer this one (at least for me). So, we know it is wrong to covet, and of course I do not consider myself to be an all-round coveter. Or am I? When I heard that a certain lottery was approaching a billion dollars I told my wife that maybe we should invest a couple dollars. After all, thinking of all the good things we could do with that much money. It is very likely that the story of Ananias in Acts, chapter 5, would see a replay before all the smoke cleared. After all, what would a couple million be compared to how much was there to begin with. Promising it all to God’s work but thinking one could sneak a little bit aside as “wages” without God knowing about it. I sat back thinking about how the problems would begin escalating right off the bat. Someone I know called me on the phone who through careful planning, should be okay to the end was telling me how he bought tickets and how nobody in the family would ever have to worry about money again. I laughed to myself and told him if I won I would give everybody in the immediate family, both on my side and my wife’s 5 million and he immediately responded with “well I was going to give you 10 million. I could see the covetousness already setting in and I had already decided I wasn’t even going to donate to whoever the winner would be by buying into it. Then I thought of everybody I ever knew coming to see me asking for loans (which I suspected would never be repaid), all the scammers I would have to deal with, and, to make a long story a tad shorter, the possibility of losing that which I hold dearest (which represents everything to me), over something that would do nothing but cause problems. I never worried about money anyway. The world is full (anyone who has visited the “3rd world” knows this for sure) of people who have little more than the shirt on their back, yet they are here and although life is hard for them, God sustains them.

All the good the money would be used for? I’ve always known the resourcefulness of God making sure the things He wants done to be taken care of. Do not covet covers more ground than could be imagined. Amazing how we can look at something we don’t even need and immediately think we got to have it. We need to stay focused on that in which our hope lies, eternity with Christ. I say that but at the same time admit that being side tracked (myself, in particular) happens with frightening regularity. A verse to be called as a cure for this can be found in I Timothy:

1Timothy 3:10  Night and day praying exceedingly that we might see your face, and might perfect that which is lacking in your faith?

• 11 months later...

Q2. (Romans 7:7-8) The law reveals sin for what it is. Why wouldn't we be better off just not knowing that we should not covet, for exampleWe would continue to become more and more selfish, moving further and further from God.  As would others, with a focus on me. As a result sin would grow stronger and our distance from God greater, something we see in our American culture today. 

Why does the flesh respond to being told "Do not covet" by coveting all the more? someone else said it right, have you ever tried to go on a diet? All of the sudden everything you shouldn’t have you desire. Marketing is based on creating a desire for what others have - the latest fashion or a bigger house. Thus only with the Spirit can we overcome what our natural sinful self desires.

• 1 year later...

If we did not know that it was sin; we would go on in our sins and die. But the law showed us that it was wrong in order to turn us back to God. Without the law there would be no moral compass for anyone to go by. Everyone would do as they pleased no matter what.

The flesh responds to it by rebelling. Our natural selves does not want to be told that we cannot do it; we want to do what we feel is right or makes us feel good. We think we will be happy if we have more money, a better job, a newer car or house like the neighbors do. We do not want to settle for less.

• 4 weeks later...

Without knowing the reason why we need a Savior which is that we can't save ourselves we would still think we can do it on our own. I believe it is because the flesh is resistant to being told to not doing something when it wants its own way.

• 3 months later...

Not knowing the depth of our sin and how it alienates us from God will only bring death and destruction. Ignorance will never bring us into relationship with Christ. The law shows us our corrupted nature and that our sin is not merely moral failure or character defects but rebellion against God. The law reveals and, if allowed, goes beyond producing feelings of guilt and leads us to a saving God that can cure the cancer of our soul. Fools die for lack of knowledge - Prov. 10:21.

The fact that being told “not to do ______” causes a greater desire to do that very thing proves how rebellious and wayward we are at the core of our being. The “will” of our sin nature is a stubborn rebel. It tests limits; it dares to do what is prohibited, it wants to exercise control and autonomy. It is its nature to rise up and war against the things of the Spirit. Only grace and the Spirit’s power working in the regenerated heart can transform my once sin-dominated life. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Adam and Eve knew they had done wrong therefore tried to cover themselves up ... before the law. We have a law written on our hearts, our conscience. That, alone, condemns us.

Had we not had the law, we'd still have our consciences. The law only amplifies and makes undeniable what we already know to be wrong. In that sense, it makes our offenses greater. 

We would not be better off without the law because God still has His way of reaching into our minds and making us feel or know we've done wrong, that we've sinned. Plenty of people throughout the world have come to know Him without ever knowing the Ten Commandments because the gist of the commandments is written in their hearts. They knew they needed forgiveness and a clean slate.