JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. The Weak Link, the Flesh

:wub:

Even though the law is good, it is weakened by sinful man, so it is not powerful enough to save us.

The fault is in us, sinful man - the weak link.

It takes Jesus to save us, sent by His Father to do so. In Him no sin is found and He became a sin offering for us.

:wub:

God bless you,

Love Greta

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obedience to the law can't save us because the law is weakened by our sinful human nature.

The weak link is our sin nature which is in rebellion against God's value system.

What it takes to save us is the blood of Christ. Only by accepting His sacriface for our sin, can we be saved from condemnation.

Obedience to the law can't save us because it is impossible for us to be obedient to the law. The weak link is our weak nature, our inability to be sinless. The only salvation is in our Lord Jesus Christ who bore our sins for us in order to give us life.

Q1. (Romans 8:3-4) Why can't obedience to the law save us? What is the weak link? What then does it take to save us?

The Law cannot make atonement for human sin. Obedience to the Law requires total obedience and the flesh, the weak link, cannot do it. It is not capable. It takes Jesus Christ to save us.

Q1. (Romans 8:3-4) Why can't obedience to the law save us? What is the weak link? What then does it take to save us?

Obedience to the Law cannot save us because it has no power. The weak link is our sinful selves whereby saying no increases the desire to do it.

To save us we need a saviour, one who can fulfil the law and obey its commands.

• 4 weeks later...

You can have a music teacher teach you all the technicalities of playing a tune, but if you do not have a feel for the music it will still sound wooden. You have to have the spirit of the piece to make it really an exciting experience to listen to.

The law might attempt to teach us the technicalities of living successfully, but it can't teach us to "make the violin talk!". We need to have the Spirit of Life in order to get beyond the legal technicalities of life, to live passionately and to love as Jesus did, as we were designed to do. Jesus said "By this shall all men know that you are my disciples, that you love one another". The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of Love, Life, and Truth, and without Him we are unable to go beyond animal (carnal) existence. Life without the Spirit of Truth and Love is at best wooden, and at worst rotten. Unless we are connected to the Father by the Spirit of Truth, through the blood of Jesus, we simply don't have the family connection. You can't get it without the adoption process.

The weak link is that the law can't teach you to love. It can only teach you to follow certain principles, which, if you find it profitable, you might actually do. However, teaching the abc doesn't produce poetry. Only a poet can produce that. You have to have the DNA which only the Spirit of Life can give.

To save us requires the DNA of the Spirit of Life. Jesus, after His ascension, sent Him to His disciples for the first time on Pentecost. It changed them from men of infantile understanding and no courage, to bold preachers of Truth and wisdom, recipients of revelation, and winners of souls for the Kingdom of Heaven, into people with the mind of Christ, into a completely different kind of person with supernatural capacities and unmistakable qualities of love. Anyone can invite Him and then draw more constantly into Him. Anyone can refuse Him and suffer God's wrath at the accounting. The blasphemy of the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven.

• 2 weeks later...

The law can only reveal our sinful nature to us. It has no power.

It took Jesus to save us, because He was flesh like us, but, unlike us, He did not sin. He had the power to save us through His death on the cross. I am so glad He did this!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Obedience to the law won't save us because we cannot keep the law perfectly. the weak link is us in our sinful flesh. We are always in some kind of sin.

Only Jesus was able to live in this world without sinning. All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. It takes a perfect sacrifice for sin to save us.

And that would be accepting Jesus as your Savior. He was and is the only perfect sacrifice for sin. God bless

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Rom 8:3 For what the law was powerless to do in that it was weakened by the flesh, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh to deal with sin. He condemned sin in the flesh

Rom 8:4 so that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who do not live according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

The law has no power to forgive or give life, the law is what condemns us. We continue to have desires of the flesh, the human nature that we give in to. The one and only thing that saves us is our giving of our life to Jesus Christ, our faith and our knowing that He is the Lord of our life. It was with Jesus going to the cross for us and bearing our sins, dying for those sins,our sins and the fact He beat death and came back...This was done for us ...Jesus was sent to us by our God to do exactly what He did and now we can live with the Holy Spirit within us to live a holy and true obedience to God not by our own doing but by the doing of Jesus, the Holy Spirit, God....

• 1 month later...

Man could never and never will be able to obey the law. And even if we tried and broke just one commandment we are just as guilty as if we broke all of them (James 2:10).

The weak (or missing) link is the absence of the indwelling Holy Spirit in us (Rom 6,7,8).

To be saved the Lord must draw us to him (John 6:44), open our hearts (Acts 16:14), then circumcise and change our hearts ( Deut 30:6)(Rom 2:29)(Eze 36:26)(Jer 31:33).

At that point we are then reborn (John 3:3), the veil is lifted (2Cor 4:3)(Luke 24:16, 31, 45) and we are permitted to "hear" and "understand" (Deut 29:4) (John 8:43)(Luke 18:34)(Matt 13:9-11)(Rom 10:17)(Matt 16:17)(1 Cor 2:10-15) the "message".

Upon hearing and understanding it (Luke 24:45) we are able to believe in our hearts (Rom 10:9) and thus saved!

Without the Holy Spirit in us the message sounds like foolishness (1 Cor 2:14). We won't even look for it or recognize it (John 14:17) thus we can't understand it much less believe it.

In summary, in order to believe the message we must first be able to "hear" and understand it, and in order to "hear" and understand it, our eyes and ears must be opened up to it (Luke 24:31). The veil that blinds us must be removed.

It's all accomplished by and through the Grace of God!

• 1 month later...

Q1. (Romans 8:3-4) Why can't obedience to the law save us?

"For what the law was powerless to do in that it was weakened by the sinful nature, God did by sending his own Son...." (8:3)

The law is a set of moral guidelines which is good and holy and righteous. The law is weakened by the sinful nature or inherent rebellious nature of man against God. Obedience to the law places the merit on us meaning we are saved by our own works or merit.

What is the weak link?

The problem is with us, with the "sinful nature" or "flesh". The weak link is man. The weak link is the sin that abides in me; it is "the unregenerate and sinful nature," in opposition to the Spirit of God. The problem is our rebellious human nature and human value systems that stand in opposition to God's value system.

What then does it take to save us?[/b]

"For what the law was powerless to do in that it was weakened by the sinful nature, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful man to be a sin offering. And so he condemned sin in sinful man, in order that the righteous requirements of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the sinful nature but according to the Spirit." (8:3-4)

Jesus came in the in the likeness of sinful man, rather than as sinful man himself. Jesus took on our sin on the cross. God made his own Son a sin offering or atonement for our sin.

What does it take to save us..............it is God's unmerited gift or favor that saves us. By grace through faith we are saved. All we have to do is accept God's gift to us and live in Christ.

The weak link if definitely our flesh. We are too weak to keep the law and must have the strength of the Spirit to help us live righteousness lives. Thankfully, Jesus died to save us from our sins so that even in our weakness, we are righteousness. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

If being obedient to the law would save us then God would not have had to send His Son in the flesh to the job He was sent to do. The weak link is that we cannot save ourselves, we can have all the laws and rules in place, follow all to the end, but the law only opens our minds eyes and heart to the truth of what is right and wrong. We do need to be obedient to the law, to Gods Word, and in doing so we come to repentance and submission to Christ. Accepting Christ is the only way to be saved. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Observation and keeping of the law in its own right is good but it is impossible to keep the law in its totality, the law highlighted the sinful flaw in mans makeup, and therefore as Paul states the law condemned us already. The weakest link, is me, my sinful nature, my ability to sin. What does it take to save us, Gods wonderful grace, For in that while we were yet sinners Christ Jesus died for us.

Oh What A Savior

VERSE 1

Once I, I was straying in sin

• 2 months later...

The Law is perfect righteous and Holy. It cannot save us because by nature I am inherently sinful and cannot keep it's demands.

I need a Saviour, One who will take away my sin and pay the price. I CANNOT DO IT ALONE.

In and of myself there is no good, righteous, pure or holy thing. It is Christ in me that makes me pure, righteous, good, and holy. It is His Nature that brings about a change in me. While good, the Law cannot indwell me or take away my sin.

Once indwelt by the Spirit, I have the power I need to keep the Law and to obey God's commands. It is not by my power or strength but the Spirit's

My sinful nature is the weak link. Keeping the law impossible, as it is perfectly holy and just, and I am not. As Rosie1Rose put it, I cannot do it alone. However, the law still needs to be fulfilled, or justice needs to be paid for the reason that the law has been so terribly broken. The sin offering of Christ then saves us so that we become holy law-keepers in the eyes of God.

• 2 months later...

Q1. (Romans 8:3-4) Why can't obedience to the law save us? What is the weak link? What then does it take to save us? The law cannot save us because of our own weakness. We might want to follow the law but in the flesh, we are simply incapable of doing so and therefore without Jesus would be doomed. What it took to save us was the sacrifice made by Jesus and our believing and putting all our trust in Him, and by so doing being united with or included in Christ. It is this which saves us and this alone.

• 3 weeks later...

We can't keep the law on our own. Temptation is great, and we do make mistakes as well as sin. Therefore, we need to ask God for forgiveness when this happens. We are the weak link. Only belief that Jesus saves us from our sin will save us.

The law was not meant to save us. It was to help us know how to live for God. Sin and death are the weak links. For us to be saved, we must believe that Jesus is God's son, and Jesus alone is the one who saves us from sin if we confess our sins and ask for His forgiveness.

• 4 weeks later...

Obedience to the law cannot save us because now we are under Christ and not under the law. The weak link in the law is the sinful nature of man, the flesh, is capable of sin. To save us God sent His own son, in the flesh, to be then final sacrifice for the redemption of man.

• 1 month later...

The law is unable to save us because we were slaves to sin, and the law could not redeem us from such a state even though it was holy. The weak link is the flesh, our sinful nature. It takes faith in Jesus Christ to save us from slavery to sin, that we may die to the flesh and be reborn in the Spirit with Christ. God, please keep us from falling into temptation and may we always walk in the Spirit. In Jesus's name we pray. Amen.