JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. (1 Timothy 5:1-16) What responsibilities do we have to help aging family members? According to Paul, in what way is this our Christian responsibility? In what way is this a "repayment" of a debt? To what does Paul compare those who refuse this responsibility?

Our responsibility to aging family members is to help them as a way to return the care given to us as children. Most importantly, it is a tremendous way to show love and thanks to our parents and grandparents and others who have no relatives to care for them. It is Christain ministry beginning in the home. An essential part of the Christian way is ministering to other spiritually and physically in need. Beginning in home.

According to Paul, it is sinful and pagan not to take care of your family.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5a)As part of love for God we should fulfil the5thcommandment &care for our aging relatives. It is our responsibily to do what we can,not the state to bear this.
b)This is our Christian responsibility putting our faith into practice, showing them the love&care they probably would have given us. If we don’t we are denying the faith &worse than the unbeliever who do look after their elderly.
c)Us caring for these relatives  is God’s way of repaying what they did for us.
d)Those who refuse this responsibility are compared as worse than infedel’s,unbelievers.

5a)As part of love for God we should fulfil the5thcommandment &care for our aging relatives. as it is our responsibily to do what we can,not leave the state to bear cost.
b)This is our Christian responsibility putting our faith into practice,our commitment to God, showing them the love&care they have given us.Walking the talk.Matthew25: 45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’ If we don’t we are denying the faith &worse not caring as much as some unbelievers do looking after their elderly.
c)Us caring for our relatives  is God’s way of repaying what they did for us,our debt to them.
d)Those who refuse this responsibility are losing the faith& are compared as worse than infedel’s,unbelievers.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q1. Responsibilities
  • 4 weeks later...

Christains throughout the centuries have cared for their elderly parents and relatives.  Despite eldercare problems, the Christian has obligations to do his or best despite great odds to fulfill the Biblical admonitions to take of the elderly.

Success in eldercare may not be successful at times; there will be plenty of bumps on the road.   But we are so blessed that the least we did to one of God's children we did it unto Christ.  We offer up our discouragements and frustrations up to the Lord.  Though not perfect, God sees our efforts, and in due time we will be rewarded.

• 3 months later...

This topic is close to my heart. Six years ago, my father asked me to move in with him to help him die. When I started caring for him, I thought it would take months, not years. He is in his 97th year, now, and is still very much alive.

I do not like the talk of duty, debt or responsibility when dealing with family members, though understand how our language devolved to this. To care for the elderly is a privilege, not a duty.  It is also a trial. My father is a confirmed atheist, btw. 

His care has fallen solely on my shoulders -- my sibling, who claims to be a Christian and lives nearby, has visited him once in the last three years. I confess that I am praying for His justice regarding her, for she is "worse than an unbeliever" and her selfishness is hurting me. 

Caring for the elderly is a full-time endeavor. One has to give up career, income, travel, opportunities, joy, friends, romance ... life itself. I have had few, if any, compensations. STILL, and this is important, I believe God will make up the years the locust has eaten, that He sees my lack and ebbing hope as opportunities to do a great miracle. I pray for my father's salvation and though he has not accepted Christ, God has heard my prayers and will answer them in His time. I believe that God will bring good out of this circumstance.

Lately, I've been listening to Rick Joyner videos on Youtube -- one of his themes is that trials are opportunities that shouldn't be wasted. Caring for my father, then, is both a trial and a privilege/opportunity. It is growing me into someone that God can use in the future. I spend hours studying and worshiping.

I'm not wasting this trial.

• 2 weeks later...

Paul plainly stated that a widow with children or grandchildren should be cared for by them. Family is always the "first" line of defense against poverty. Parents give unfathomably to the welfare of their children. For Christian children, this is an opportunity bear fruit, i.e., "walk the talk", to act "in" their Christian faith- giving to their parents as they have given to them.

This is “acceptable” or pleasing in the sight of God.

Paul goes on to say that if a person does not provide for his own family he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

Even most unbelievers were kind enough to provide for aged parents. 

Q1. It is our moral duty as human beings to care for family members who are not able to care for themselves. Even unbelievers do this. Therefore as followers of Christ we should welcome the opportunity to look after our parents who have nurtured and provided for us while we were unable to fend for ourselves. It is our responsibility and not the responsibility either of the State or the local church. We should regard it as a privilege to have the opportunity to give back some of the love, care and time to our parents that they have given to us over the years of our lives.There maybe others in the area or the church who don’t have any family members to care for them. If we neglect our responsibilities to our parents and others have to look after them, we may be depriving someone else of the care they need because they don’t have any relatives to look after them. Paul tells us that to neglect our duty makes us worse than unbelievers and infidels! By our non action we deny the very faith we proclaim to have. 

Q1. (1 Timothy 5:1-16) What responsibilities do we have to help aging family members?

ANSWER: Remember, although Paul is speaking directly to Timothy regarding the church in Ephesus, these principles are applicable to us as well. The first responsibility is, the Elders should be shown honor. Elders are deserving of financial remuneration for their work. That's the meaning of "worthy of double honor" (1 Timothy 5:17): (1) respect for their work as well as (2) the honor conferred through compensation (recompense ) and honorarium (fee).

Paul is very clear that children and grandchildren have an obligation to care for their own elderly parents. This is essentially the point of the fifth commandment, to honor one’s own father and mother. Since the fifth commandment is to "honor your father and your mother" (Exodus 20:12), to fail to do so is to deny the very faith you claim to believe. Paul argues, that even unbelievers care for their aged relatives. Not to take on this responsibility makes one worse than an "unbeliever" or "infidel."

According to Paul, in what way is this our Christian responsibility?

ANSWER: The ancient world had great respect for those who had risen to old age.It is well documented that the elderly population is growing rapidly. Those who were called "baby boomers" (1946-1964) are all reaching the age of retirement. We see something else happening, older people are increasingly being seen as marginal. The high value placed on youth has resulted in some seeing the older population as out-of-date and irrelevant.

Paul points out that the church should be there to take care of those widows who are genuinely in need. After all, the church is a family. Families should provide for their widowed relatives – See verses 4 and 8. The first criteria Paul gives is that if the widows have surviving relatives (specifically descendants), these should provide for them. The church was not to step in and take care of widows who could and should be supported by their own families.

In what way is this a “repayment” of a debt?

ANSWER: Caring for one's parents and grandparents is God's way of "repaying"  or "requiting" them for In Paul’s way of thinking, children accumulate a kind of debt before their parents. First, and most obviously, your parents gave you the gift of life. If you were raised in a Christian home you have even more to be grateful for since your parents introduced you to the Bible, took you to church, and told you the gospel. They spent endless hours in prayer, seeking God’s favor on your behalf.

Taking care of your parents is an expression of love and devotion for them before anyone else. It's a way of giving them back all the love and effort they showered us with while raising us. Caring for the elderly important because it enables them to live a higher quality of life until the end.

To what does Paul compare those who refuse this responsibility?

ANSWER: In 1 Timothy 5:4, 8,16 Paul makes it very clear that families should care for their own. Paul makes it absolutely clear that believers are expected to provide for aged family members. He gives strong language claiming that those who do not take care of their own families are worse than unbelievers. Even unbelievers care for their aged relatives, Paul argues. Not to take on this responsibility makes one worse than an "unbeliever" or an "infidel.” Caring for one's parents and grandparents is God's way of "repaying" or "requiting.”

Q1. (1 Timothy 5:1-16) What responsibilities do we have to help aging family members? According to Paul, in what way is this our Christian responsibility? In what way is this a "repayment" of a debt? To what does Paul compare those who refuse this responsibility?

God says that they have a responsibility to help out aging family members; widows in particular. Repaying the care they gave us as our parent.

In verse 4 it reads, “they must learn to practice piety in regard to their own family”    
Which means, the proper honor and respect towards parents. Returning to them a portion of what they have done for us.

As children and family members, we are grateful and loving to our parents, returning to them a portion of the loving support they showed us as kids.

As one who has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

A1.

We are directed/instructed to take care of our parents especially the aged ones.

Taking care of our aged parents is our Christian responsibility because when we do so, we would be repaying our parents for what they did for us as they took care of us when they raised us up and trained us. This also is equivalent of repaying our aged parents for their investment in our lives.

Anyone who refuses to do this is described as being worse than an infidel.

To help aging family members it is our responsibilities to care for them when they are no longer able to care for themselves.  We are to provide financially if able to do so.  If we have to rebuke them it must be done in love and not harshly; not with resentment but with honor and high regard.

It is our Christian responsibility because we have been instructed to honor our mother and father, and helping them is a way of honoring them.

This is a repayment of a all the sorrow, pain, trouble, care and expenses they incurred in bearing and bringing us into the world, taking care of us in infancy, brining us up, giving us an education, providing food, raiment and shelter for us, and settling us in the word.

Those who refuse this responsibility is worst than an unbeliever and an infidel.

Q1. (1 Timothy 5:1-16)

What responsibilities do we have to help aging family members?

Paul said, that we must give proper recognition to those widows who are really in need and left alone. This means, Godly widows who are older and have no family to support them.

According to Paul, in what way is this our Christian responsibility?

Paul makes it absolutely clear that believers are expected to provide for aged family members, these should learn first of all to put their religion into practice by caring for their own family and so repaying their parents and grandparents.

In what way is this a "repayment" of a debt?

The repaying their parents and grandparents for what they have done for them through their entire life.

To what does Paul compare those who refuse this responsibility?

Paul compares refusing responsibility with an unbeliever. Not to take on this responsibility makes one worse than an "unbeliever". Paul said, even unbelievers care for their aged relatives.

Our elderlies  especially widows  did a lot of sacrifices to raise up their children and provide for them in love, safety, counsels ,guidance so the children grow up to be worthy responsible  citizens. It’s just when their strength has given up, those children should show gratefulness to them . Honour your parents bring extra blessings of long life .
Paul consider those who  reject their elderly parents to be worse than non believers 

• We are responsible for financially supporting the elders in our families and honoring what they have done to support us through the years.  It is understood that they could have lived different lives with a focus on themselves rather than spending time and resources to help raise us but they did not.  It is at the least a Christian duty (as we also support those who are not related to us) and at the most, an expression of our love for them.
  • People who refuse this responsibility are worse than an infidel.  They may call themselves Christians, but may maintain a hard heart.  I got the sense that here Paul is implying that the people who do not support the elders in their family have the resources to do so and willingly refuse to share their resources to bless them and support them. Even if the rest of the family were poor, emotional support at the least is important.

Take responsibility for them, if they need help, help them. Treat them like you would want to be treated with respect.

Just as they cared for us it is our turn to care for them

One who refuses to do for their family, is not worthy of Christ.

We have the responsibility to take care of the aging by showing them honor and this also refers to financial honor especially those who have past the marriage age and above 60 years. We need to care for those who do not have children to take care of them and are in dire need of assistance. Moreover, these are widows who have diligently served the church and honored their marriages as well but those who live lavish lives need not be considered and those with children and grand children are mandated to take care of their parents.

In Psalm 68:5, the Word of God states that God is te defender of the widows and as such we are also expected to protect widows from all harm and take care of their needs. We cannot turn a blind eye when an elderly widow lives alone and is unable to clean her house. It is our responsibility to also feed and bath those who cannot and are childless.

It is a "repayment" of debt because when they still had energy to work, they kept the home fires burning by providing for our needs and to say thank you, we also need to do the same.

Those who refuse definitely dishonor God because the Word of God in Exodus 20:12 "honor you father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land that the Lord your God is giving you." It is therefore important to take care of all the needs of the widows who are desperate.

On 2/20/2009 at 7:50 PM, McCollum said:

Carrying for them is God's way, For it is a way that we show our thanks for them carring for us and in a sense some re-pay for what they did for us. Fail to do so is to deny the very faith we claims to beleive.

Neglect of widows involves practical denial of the Faith.  The heathen held widows in high regard.  So it was incumbent for Timothy to make sure that the Ephesian church would be a shining light in the midst of unbelievers. The light of this mystery of godliness" would greatly aggravate these sins of neglect, and therefore cause scandel. The denial of the duty of love, a denial of the faith.

It is in conjunction with our Faith to take care of the widows who nourished and cared for us in our childhoods.  The person who deliberately neglects providing for his household is deemed worse than an unbeliever.  This is referring to relatives who live under one roof.   Paul  deems such infidels as "wanting in the Faith"....those who profess faith but do not live out the spirit of the Gospel.

Q1 ( 1 Timothy 5:16) What responsibility do we have to help aging family members?

According to God's Word if a widow has children/grandchildren, we are to have wisdom, and compassion and put what we have learn from God that we should care for our aging family.

Our best way as a Christian is when we do this in live it pleases God..As a Christian it is also our responsibility not the church. The church will be able to help those widows who are really in need.

This "repayment" of debt is found in the Ten Commandments. "Honor your Father and your mother." (Exodus 20:12)

Paul compares this with people who have denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever. Failing to do is to deny the very faith you claim to believe.

Since they are family members, we have the responsibility to help them in anyway that they need help. This is our Christian responsibility because they are the ones that brought us up and nurtured us and we owe it to them. Paul compares those who refuse this responsibility to gentiles or to the devil.

Q1. (1 TIMOTHY 5:1-16)

What responsibilities do we have to help aging family members? According to Paul, in what way is this our Christian responsibility? In what way is this a "repayment" of a debt? To what does Paul compare those who refuse this responsibility?

Family members have a generally recognized duty and responsibility to care for each other - especially the older members. Even unbelievers acknowledge this. We obey the law of Christ when we offer our family a helping hand (Gal 6:2). Jesus states this law in John 15:12, “My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you.” The important thing is that we show love and concern and do all we can to help each other. If the need arises, we should show practical godliness at home by repaying our parent/s, grandparent/s for all that they have done for us. So, by not helping, we commit a sin of omission. As a believer we then lack the most precious Spiritual fruit of all - love. If we as Christians fail here, we behave contrary to the teaching of our faith, and it is a poor testament to our Christian faith if we neglect this duty. Failure to provide for our own family, especially our parents and grandparents, is compared to an unbeliever.