JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Why do you think people are so susceptible to distorted Bible teaching concerning financial gain? Admitting that there is some truth in popular teachings in our time, what are the distortions that you may have heard? How do they differ from the truth?

I honestly don't know how to think of wealth anymore.

Many Christians believe God will reward them financially because the Old Testament, in particular, is full of examples of God rewarding individuals financially for their strong faith and diligence. 

We tend to "spiritualize" miracles and blessings of God because we don't like our faith to be overtly challenged and, perhaps, called out as false. For example, if we pray audaciously for a blind man to be healed, but he is not healed, then our faith can be held up to ridicule. So, rather than pray for the blind to be healed, we avoid situations in which faith can be clearly judged. It is the same with wealth. In the OT, God rewarded many individuals with great wealth though in the NT the apostles were, or seemed to be, quite poor. The point is that God Himself gave ... and took away. Job was rewarded in multiple. Abraham, Joseph, David ... were made wealthy, not so much because of their savvy investments or work ethic, but by God Himself. Their wealth was described as a reward for faith-filled behavior.

Thus, there's a tendency to think that God rewards for faith because there are so many examples in the bible.

On teh flip side, most wealth is a consequence of hard work, either physical or mental. Calvin, for example, drew a clear connection between "diligence at work" and "reward." As a child, I recall my father telling me about the "work ethic," the idea that in normal circumstances, hard work "paid off." The opposite, he said, was also true, that most poor people were poor because they didn't work hard or smart. "Smart work" he said, always always resulted in wealth. The status given to the wealthy in churches, in small part is due to a residual sense that God blesses those who are 1) faithful, 2) diligent and 3) work smartly.

Barely enough wealth is provision. There are promises of provision, that Christians will have "enough" because God's love ensures this. We will never die of starvation, it is said, or thirst because Jesus promised us "daily bread." Of course, we have to pray for our bread which makes this provision seem like a reward for faithful prayer, doesn't it? It could be, too, that it's a sign of God's care. But why would God give us barely enough to survive when He can bless us more? Why be stingy in this? Is God also stingy in other things ... like loving us or healing us or guiding us along a narrow path?

The God who knows when sparrows drop also knows our needs. The God who is capable of springing Paul from prison (though He let Paul be martyred later) is more than capable of providing for us AND giving great wealth. I suppose you could draw a line between bare provision and comfort/wealth, but where is that line? Is it culturally determined or drawn by God Himself?

I have had great wealth in the past -- now, I am very poor. In retrospect, I can see an inverse connection between wealth and spiritual growth or closeness to God, but this may be more due to age and situation and therefore is not an accurate read of faith's barometer. Unashamedly, I am praying for great wealth again. It's simply easier to serve Him without "dealing with money." I know how to live simply with much. I know not to reveal wealth. I know to hold wealth so lightly that I can give it away when asked, which is how I got into this situation.  If God gave me wealth again, honestly, it wouldn't be a big deal.

So, there's a sense, which I just revealed, that God gives money to those who have the spiritual maturity to handle it, and therefore wealth, if known, is a sign of His good favor. This is the OT idea in contemporary expression, that God chooses to give "good things" to his children as long as they don't turn it into a faith-threatening snake or coal. I do see a connection. It's undeniable in the Bible. God DID reward faith/maturity with wealth -- but does He still do so? And is poverty a sign of faithlessness and not measuring up to His favor?

It's the converse that's so troubling. People -- including myself -- who are poor could be at the apex of their faith-walk. I see no correlation between my faith, now, and my poverty.

It troubles me that there are many who are simply born into hard circumstances or live under corrupt political regimes that over-tax and regulate  or simply steal the fruit of one's labor. Some are born into circumstances that barely permit labor to be turned into enough food to stay alive. Wars devastate the lives of some people (though others benefit handsomely from war).

None of this is "fair." We do not race from the same starting line. Clearly God is NOT egalitarian. 

But does God reward financially, in this life? Can we depend on Him to do so?

That's what I want to know.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a problem with greed in the church at Ephesus. It was taught by the false teachers that godliness is a means to financial gain, which mislead the whole Gospel
"Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content (arkeō) with what you have, because God has said, ' Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you

Paul warns Timothy about those who “think that godliness is a means to financial gain” (verse 5). All wrongdoing can be traced to an excessive attachment to material wealth - in other words; “The love of money is the root of all evil.” (1 Timothy 6:10).

It is not a sin to be rich, but riches certainly invite temptation. The sin is not in possessing wealth but in our attitudes about that wealth and in the ways we use it.

The Bible has examples of rich people being blessed by God, including Abraham (Genesis 13:2), Jacob (Genesis 30:43), and Solomon (1 Kings 10:23).

The heretical teaching that infiltrated the church in Timothy’s day is still prevalent in modern Christianity. We commonly hear of preachers and Christian figureheads using their positions of influence to amass unimaginable wealth so that they can live opulent lifestyles. 

"Prosperity Gospel" and $20,000,000 homes, planes, etc.

The Bible teaches that the Holy Spirit is a Person who enables the believer to do God’s will. The prosperity gospel movement closely resembles some of the destructive greed sects that infiltrated the early church.

In the prosperity gospel, the believer is told to use God, whereas the truth of biblical Christianity is just the opposite—God uses the believer.

Q1. I suppose people hear what they want to hear. By nature we are greedy and can fall into Satan’s trap when we are told about Christian’s becoming wealthy. In Phillipians Paul tells us that God will meet all our needs , he doesn’t mention our wants. We will most definitely receive spiritual wealth as we live our Christian lives but this may not also include financial wealth. We should be content with what God has given to us and not always be looking for more. If we daily look at our blessings it will make us more aware of all that we have and hopefully help us to be content. If God does bless us with more money than we need, as a Christian the surplus should be used to benefit the spreading of the gospel and helping others who need help and support.

Q1. I suppose people hear what they want to hear. By nature we are greedy and can fall into Satan’s trap when we are told about Christian’s becoming wealthy. In Phillipians Paul tells us that God will meet all our needs , he doesn’t mention our wants. We will most definitely receive spiritual wealth as we live our Christian lives but this may not also include financial wealth. We should be content with what God has given to us and not always be looking for more. If we daily look at our blessings it will make us more aware of all that we have and hopefully help us to be content. If God does bless us with more money than we need, as a Christian the surplus should be used to benefit the spreading of the gospel and helping others who need help and support.

Q1. (1 Timothy 6:5)

Why do you think people are so susceptible to distorted Bible teaching concerning financial gain?

Because of greediness.

Admitting that there is some truth in popular teachings in our time, what are the distortions that you may have heard?

Deceiving people by the more you give the more you receive, yes the WORD say it is better to give than to receive but with what type of heart do you give?

How do they differ from the truth?

It sounds very much the same but if you know the WORD you will pick up difference as mentioned, better to give than to received instead the more you give the more you receive.

Q1. (1 Timothy 6:5) Why do you think people are so susceptible to distorted Bible teaching concerning financial gain? Admitting that there is some truth in popular teachings in our time, what are the distortions that you may have heard? How do they differ from the truth?

A1.

Generally we all need money to meet our needs. However, some teaching on how to make money is not Biblical as it gives the impression that as long as we are children of God, how we get the money does not really matter because it is God that is helping us to make money and “the end justifies the means”. False.

The truth is that our means of getting money has to be that which will honor God. We cannot cheat or steal to enrich ourselves as this would dishonor the name of the Lord.

Q1. (1 Timothy 6:5) Why do you think people are so susceptible to distorted Bible teaching concerning financial gain?

ANSWER: Money is a sensitive topic, in large part because so many people either manage it poorly or are way too attached to it. Even though Jesus focused much of His teaching on money, it is somewhat a taboo topic for church leaders. Some reason(s) why church leaders avoid the topic of/are afraid to talk about money is:

1. Fear of being grouped with a few. There is a small group of church leaders that abuse their platform for personal financial gain.
  2. Fear of reducing attendance. For many it is the fear of being seen as an earthly failure frightens some church leaders. And if avoiding the topic of money is one way to mitigate perceived failure, they do it.
  3. Fear of turning off guests. Church leaders want guests to attend. They want guests to feel welcome. Unfortunately, some church leaders allow their desire for guests to feel welcome lead them to avoid topics like money.
  4. Fear of hate mail. Church leaders know that it is almost inevitable that they will be criticized for talking about money. Church leaders know when they talk about money, they can expect their email inbox to blow up with criticism.
  5. Fear of conviction regarding their own finances. There is an unfortunate reality that some church leaders are in a financial mess. So they feel like a hypocrite when they talk about God’s plan for money. And so they ignore the topic to avoid the personal conviction.
  6. Fear that talking about money is heard as asking for money. Church leaders know that as soon as the word “money” is uttered from their mouth, some people in the church will assume they are asking for money, again. Even if the church leader has no intention to ask for money but is simply teaching about money, these people shut down. And it is a discouraging thought for church leaders.

Admitting that there is some truth in popular teachings in our time, what are the distortions that you may have heard?

ANSWER: What the false teachers had done was to doctrinally link godliness with wealth."If you're godly or religious," they were saying, "you can become wealthy." We sometimes have teachers in our day proclaim:

“Poverty is a sin and a bondage."

“Wealth is God's blessing on the godly."

“If we believe the promises of God, we will prosper financially."

"If we tithe, we will get more money, because we can't out-give God."

How do they differ from the truth?

ANSWER: There is some truth to those statements above teachings and some things that are warped and distorted. Even if the original teachers of these doctrines may have had right hearts towards money, their disciples and modern proponents of these doctrines often don't.

Why do people believe distortions?  People who are either not taught fully or reject the teaching or are desperate will believe someone who gives them peace and can provide hope in tough situations.  It is not just here, but through any part of our beliefs in society, mankind hungers for peace and a sense of value.

Many of the distortions have been based on information taken out of context or do not tell the full truth.  some are blatant lies.  The ones cited here are the obvious ones.  Regardless, the foundation we should test against is the scripture (and a broad look at it for consistency0.  One scripture comes to mind when Jesus was dealing with this (Matthew 6:33, "But seek first the kingdom of god and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."  The mindset FIRST is to seek the kingdom of god and his righteousness...these are the gates through which one must pass BEFORE anything else.  It is impossible to be greedy, worldly, perverse if you have performed the first part.

I think people are susceptible to distorted Bible teaching concerning financial gain because of their carnal thinking.  When most people here the word gain or financial blessing to fist thing that usually come to their mind is more of the things the world consider to be blessings and not good health, peace of mind, or some spiritual blessing.

We may have heard distortions such as poverty is a sin, wealth is God's blessings on the godly, if we believe the promises of God we will prosper financially, and it we tithe we will get more money because we can't beat God giving, because when men are not content with the Words of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the doctrine which is according to godliness they form notions of their own and impose them in words which man's wisdom teaches and not word which the Holy Ghost teaches.  These men are of corrupt minds, destitute of the truth because they do not stick to the truth as in the Word of God but make the Gospel subservient to their secular interest.

They differ from the truth because they are not the Word of God which is truth but the words of man.

Q1. (1 Timothy 6:5) Why do you think people are so susceptible to distorted Bible teaching concerning financial gain? Admitting that there is some truth in popular teachings in our time, what are the distortions that you may have heard? How do they differ from the truth?

It seems like Paul may be referring to men in verse 5 that are using their position in the church to make money. Much the same as televangelists of the past and present tend to do today in the United States. These men use and pervert the gospel to trick people into giving them money. Praying for them and promising that God would bless them financially for their support of the ministry. Or that God wants believers to all be financially well off. And by following Jesus faithfully that will be the case. I think that we are susceptible to this teaching because it sounds good. It appeals to our desire for financial security and our **** for money. The question for us to ask ourselves is why would God saddle us with the one thing that competes with our relationship with Him. We cannot love both God and money.

That God wants us to be rich and it’s our lack of faith in this area that keeps us from it. Or that being one who preaches or teaches means you should be wealthy depending on what is given as an offering week after week.

God’s word doesn’t really speak to being either rich or poor. Except to say that we should find joy and praise God in our poverty or our abundance. He also warns that riches can get in the way of our relationship with Him.

The Word of God says people perish for lack of knowledge because we need to understand God's Word and not interpret it the way that suits us. God knows and understands all our situations and it is His intention that all people should live well irrespective of our giving. Therefore, the teachings that say God only blesses those who tithe are wrong. There are a number of people who are wealthy and some do not even go to church nor do they take care of the needy. False teachings have made people believe a lie and as such some people have enriched themselves through these false teachings.

The distortations such as if you do not tithe, God will send the devourer to eat that which you are supposed to take to the house of God and use for yourself and even to say your children will be sick and that money which you do not take to the house of God will be taken through other means. The distortions make people to panic because it is clear that you cannot give out of compulsion but that which you are able to give.

The truth is that God loves a cheerful giver and whatever you have purposed in your heart and have thanked God for giving you the ability to acquire it, will be well received.

Lack of serious doctrinal Bible study is the root cause of such errors.   Many people don't have a serious prayer life neither.  Malformed spiritual training could be a huge part of the problem.   So called "prosperity preachers and pastors" went into the ministry not properly trained and sadly ended up in serious doctrinal positions. 

There are elements of truth in many of the messages of various prosperity ministries; however, one cannot forget that God is Sovereign, His ways are not our ways, His thoughts are not our thoughts. There are things that happen here in our time that we don't understand.  Only in eternity, will we know why we didn't get that pot of gold or a cherished inheritance.   We have to have a deep awe of the Almighty; He knows what is best.   

Q1. (1 Timothy 6:5) 

why do you think people are so susceptible to distorted Bible teaching concerning financial gain?

Greed! It was because the false teachers had done they were to doctrinally link godliness with wealth.

There are some teachers today that proclaim poverty is a sin and a bondage. Wealth is God's blessing on the godly. If we believe the promises of God, we will prosper financially. 

The difference is there is some truth in these teachings, but some teachers warped and distort the truth. Remember the heart is deceiving even if some teachers had the right heart toward money, their disciples and modern proponents of these doctrines often don't. 

They are so susceptible to the distorted Bible teaching concerning financial gain because they are trying to do everything possible to get rich. The people that are pushing this distorted truth is trying to gain wealth themselves. One biggest lie that is a half truth is that I can’t out give God which is true but they are just trying to get you money.

Q1. (1 Timothy 6:5) 
Why do you think people are so susceptible to distorted Bible teaching concerning financial gain? Admitting that there is some truth in popular teachings in our time, what are the distortions that you may have heard? How do they differ from the truth? 
Maybe it suits them to pretend not to understand, so that they can continue living their ungodly life of greed. Greed being the core motivation for dishonest financial gain (Titus 1:11). They are ungodly people who follow their own evil desires (Jude 1:16), never thinking of the harm they are doing. There is a commercialism which has become so common in Christendom. I think false teachers have become more numerous in our day; this is perhaps due to the mass media made available. These teachers also notice our greed and the way we always are looking for easy answers to our problems. They have found out that religion can be very profitable – to them; often displaying their own wealth as proof that it is God’s will for all to be financially successful. Paul reminds us that teachers who promote gain rather than godliness are not from God. Sound doctrine is not focused on personal financial gain. We err in living self-centred lives instead of a God-centred live. We must be careful not to see God as the servant of mankind; remembering that He is the sovereign, omnipotent creator-God. All this prosperity teaching is not based on the true Word. It is mostly based on a lie. The closer we get to our Lord Jesus the more we start to realise and experience that true godliness produces contentment and spiritual riches. We are truly content with what we have and don’t need anything else. We rather seek the true riches of spiritual contentment that come from complete trust in our Saviour Lord Jesus Christ. A godly person is motivated not by the love of money but by our love of God. The richest person is the one who desires the least, “Keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, 'Who is the LORD?' Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonour the name of my God” (Proverbs 30:8-9).