JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. (1 Timothy 6:5) Why do you think people are so susceptible to distorted Bible teaching concerning financial gain? Admitting that there is some truth in popular teachings in our time, what are the distortions that you may have heard? How do they differ from the truth?

People naturally like to put there hope in wealth. They also like to associate wealth with spirituality.

One distortion I heard is that if you have faith you will never be poor.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (1 Timothy 6:5) Why do you think people are so susceptible to distorted Bible teaching concerning financial gain? Admitting that there is some truth in popular teachings in our time, what are the distortions that you may have heard? How do they differ from the truth?

I believe the reason people are so susceptible to distorted Bible teaching is because they are not studying the Bible for themselves to see what God says about the love of money. There is a desire in them that makes the distortion of scripture real for them because of the greed already in them. I have heard things like,

• 1 month later...

The distortions are numerous but want to talk about the teachings that God will only bless us when we give to Him. I don't believe that we can buy blessings from Him. We actually give out of respect and reverence for God and not that we give because that is the only way He can bless us. Sometimes I hear teachings which subscribe that you have to sell your all in Give to God for Him to bless you. These are all distorted teachings in my view.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I believe that people are so susceptible to distorted Bible teaching concerning financial gain because they want to justify being greedy and having more than they need. We all want to justify our greed. Yes, wealth is a blessing; there are many different blessings and we don't always receive them all. There is no sin in being poor, and it doesn't necessarily mean that we have done anything to deserve it. The sin in poverty is that we allow other people to be poor. When we start taking the belief that God will take care of us to mean that if we're good, we deserve to be wealthy we distort the word of God. The truth is that material wealth can fade. The only thing that lasts is God, and that is where we should put our faith. We should be full of gratitude for the blessings that we do have.

• 1 month later...

[/size]

In our small chrunch in a poor put of town is all ways asking for more money beside the titles

so it can go out and help ofters some think this is away to gain more money

po

eple have alwas try to do things diffance to be set apart from one so he can standout

[/size]

In our small chrunch in a poor put of town is all ways asking for more money beside the titles

so it can go out and help ofters some think this is away to gain more money

poeple have alwas try to do things diffance to be set apart from one so he can standout

myron

peace @ love

Humane nature or the flesh is what makes us likely to believe false teachings. We just naturally want more and the false teachers are telling us this is how we can get it. We can turn on the TV any day of the week and hear someone say, " Send me your money and God will give you more." We are to be led by the Holy Spirit, not by giving to get more.

• 2 months later...

In the Netherlands, there was a baptist referent who told the people to pay tithes.

When he had enough, he moved to Africa where he lives like a king now.

Jesus wants us to share what we can aford to share - and to do it with love.

Many congregations have no problem with two married women or two married man.

Only, the Bible is very clear about gays.

In my country, it is considered to be discrimination if you say that.

Most referents omit things in the bible that do not fit in politics.

• 1 month later...

People are susceptible to distorted Bible teaching concerning financial gain because that is where there heart is. They prefer to hear that financial gain is theirs without them having to exert any energy but living the Christian life. They disregard the many references in the Book of Proverbs that tells us a lazy man is kin to poverty (my interpretation). An then there are those who chose to believe that if you are a Christian you must be wealthy. A rich young man wanted to know what he must do to inherit eternal life;Jesus told him to go and sell everything that he had and give the proceeds to the poor. The young man turn away sorrowful, not wanting to give up his riches. So it is with many in the church, their concern for attaining financial gain many time out weighs the desire for the fullness of God. God's word has many ways in which one can have financial gain while living in the will, plan and purpose of God.

• 3 weeks later...

People are susceptible to distorted Bible teaching concerning financial gain because that's what they want to hear thinking it will benefit them. I guess it's called greed. They are like little children they want everything they see. They think wealth will solve all their problems. It is true that God will bless us. There are many blessings that are from God that are not financial. I have heard distortions like if you give you will receive it back 100 fold, or if you do this or that you will get such or such. I really don't go for this kind of Bible teaching. That's why we should stay in the Bible and know what it teaches so we know when the truth is being spoken. How do they differ from the truth? False teachers have just enough truth in them that some people are fooled by their twisted message.

It appeals to self. If we can biblically justify our desire for financail gain, Wow! This is why these movements of "prosperity" teachings are so popular. There is nothing wrong with gain itself or being blessed by God. It is when blessing and gain become the number one thing in your life instead of him who has provided it. If he is first in our hearts, we will find that we will be content in our situations knowing that we are following the leadership of the Holy Spirit and that he will provide everything we need to accomplish his will in our lives.

• 3 months later...

I guess I didn't realize people DO use the Bible to justify their desire for money, financial gain....I hope this doesn't put ideas into my head! I do see many who focus on money and gaining "things" as a way to seek "contentment", but I was always grateful I didn't feel that way....

• 1 month later...

The lure of money will always attract an audience.Con artist usually use the get-rich scheme to lure their victims.Some unscruplous preachers are using the same trick to fool the people.They tell them you reap what you sow and the more you reap the more you sow.People are asked to send money in to plant a seed and the more they sent the greater will be the harvest.

• 4 weeks later...

Having more, or becoming wealthy seems to be the goal of so many people - even in the Church - so when told that living to specific rules or codes that can lead to wealth is a very strong temptation that is difficult tom resist. . .

Teaching such as "debt is bondage" - "seed offerings always produce an overflowing harvest" - giving to a "specific" ministry increases God's favor in a person's life" - sound good but are not necessarily true. . .

Jesus gave us the right ways and means for giving - 2 Corinthians 9:6-11 (KJV)

6 But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.

7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

8 And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:

9 (As it is written, He hath dispersed abroad; he hath given to the poor: his righteousness remaineth for ever.

10 Now he that ministereth seed to the sower both minister bread for your food, and multiply your seed sown, and increase the fruits of your righteousness;)

11 Being enriched in every thing to all bountifulness, which causeth through us thanksgiving to God.

B)

Having more, or becoming wealthy seems to be the goal of so many people - even in the Church - so when told that living to specific rules or codes that can lead to wealth is a very strong temptation that is difficult tom resist. . .

Teaching such as "debt is bondage" - "seed offerings always produce an overflowing harvest" - giving to a "specific" ministry increases God's favor in a person's life" - sound good but are not necessarily true. . .

Jesus gave us the right ways and means for giving - 2 Corinthians 9:6-11 (KJV)

6 But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.

7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

8 And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:

9 (As it is written, He hath dispersed abroad; he hath given to the poor: his righteousness remaineth for ever.

10 Now he that ministereth seed to the sower both minister bread for your food, and multiply your seed sown, and increase the fruits of your righteousness;)

11 Being enriched in every thing to all bountifulness, which causeth through us thanksgiving to God.

B)

I would like to add the following, alms is called righteousness, and another word for alms and righteousness is the word "seed sown." We are to sow righteousness and we will be blessed. Hos 10:12 Sow to yourselves in righteousness, reap in mercy; break up your fallow ground: for it is time to seek the LORD, till he come and rain righteousness upon you.

I would like to hear more of the word being preached on, the importance of our being a "righteousness" people, "sowing seeds" that come from our hearts, for we are truly a "blessed people" thanks to God's Son.

• 1 month later...

-people are so susceptible to distorted Bible teaching concerning financial gain because greed was a problem.

the distortions that I may have heard is "Poverty is a sin and a bondage.

"If we tithe, we will get more money, because we can't out-give God."

-They differ from the truth The false teachers taught that "godliness is a means to financial gain

• 4 months later...

They think that godliness is a means to financial gain which is not true. Jesus said it was easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. I would rather be content with what I have and have the Lord than to be the richest person in the world. I do not want to be so focused and greedy for money that I forget my creator. I have often heard that if I gave money to certain religious denominations the Lord will bless me financially. I have been told that if I tithes my ten percent the Lord will bless me with financial gain. I would rather be blessed with a personal relationship with him than anything financial. The Lord wants us to place our hope on him not on financial gain. Jesus want us to be content in him and his teachings if we have food to eat and clothes to wear what else do we need? It's all about JESUS :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I think people are so susceptible to distorted Bible teaching concerning financial gain because the love of money is the root of all evil. Most believe that if you're godly /religious then you would be rich or wealthy.

The distortions that I have heard are:

-If we tithe, we will get more money, because we can't out-give God

-Poverty is a sin and a bondage.

They differ from the truth since God is our Heavenly Father and He knows what's best for us. To me it does not make any sense if God blesses someone financially or otherwise and he/she makes it into an idol.

• 4 months later...

I think we are tempted by some of these false expectations about wealth because we are a little too greedy, and the thoughts of easy gain appeal to that nature in us. We have gotten to the point where we are no longer satisfied to have the basic necessities. In truth, God has promised to fill our needs, and we should learn to accept His Word. But we should remember that it is our "needs" that will be fulfilled, not our greedy expactations.

• 11 months later...

Why do you think people are so susceptible to distorted Bible teaching concerning financial gain?

The people are still serving mamon. Due to false teaching, people wants to use Jesus to serve mamon, instead of serving God. It is a total scew teaching. On the other hand, a lot of teachers teach this false teachings in order to try and increase offerings. Since these teachers serve mamon, they want to teach those that follow them the same thing. Material is too important to too many people

Admitting that there is some truth in popular teachings in our time, what are the distortions that you may have heard?

How do they differ from the truth?

The biggest false teaching these days is " Blessings of Abraham" refering to money. Abraham was wealthy before God called him, God just continued to allow him to have material wealth because he was obedient. God's promise to Abraham was that he will be the father to many nations. This was God's promise to Abraham, not wealth.

• 9 months later...

Most people love money. If there is any chance that a cercern belief or practice will make them rich or increase their earnings they will take it hook, line, and sinker. People have a difficult time being content.

A couple of prosperity teachings that bother me are:

It is true that God blesses a generous giver as Paul put it, however that should not be the motivation for giving. Purity of motive is one of the things that define a Christian and will be discussed with the Christian at the Judgement Seat of Christ. Having a relationship with God is about honoring God and becoming a Christ-like complete human being not a rich human being.

God is not our investment broker. A teaching today claims that by tithing and giving, God will give you back a great return. Some prosperity Christians make God out to a stock broker. This really isn't taught in the Bible. Jesus certainly did not teach this distortion of scripture to his followers. This is not an Apostolic teaching. This is a western democratic capitalistic philosophy attached to Christian doctrine to distort into a form of heresy.

Wealth is a sign of God's blessing upon the Christian. What about all the opposed and poor Christians throughout the world where their faith puts them at odds with the political power or dominate religion that abounds. Are they not blessed and loved by God too? Many Christiansw intentionally forsake material wealth to serve God or to set an example of living simply and giving genrously to serve and honor God. Most importantly, to stay focused on the Kingdom of God. Many if not most Christians don't have a relationship with God like they should because they are focused more in time and sensuality than heavenly things. They are more about the world than the Kingdom of God. Jesus taught us to store our treasure in Heaven not here on earth where they rust and rot away.

The love of money is the root of all evil and corrupts the minds of people. In pursue of money most people, even Christians, can justify poor actions.

• 4 months later...

1a)Distorted truth about wealth coming from godliness,appeals to our sinful human minds distorted by society telling us we need more money to provide for xor y. We are easily deceived,and lose our focus that God does&will provides for all our true needs. in Christ we are rich indeed. Wealth is a dangerous deceive,e.gharder for the rich man to enter kingdom of heaven.
b)Distortions I’ve heard are that- gaining wealth is a sign of Gods blessing; living godly lives will produce wealth as a blessing.If people pursue the blessings of wealth, they are putting this before God &his righteousness.Our minds are easily deceived into thinking if we behave in godly way this will automatically bring us wealth. People believe a lie and the truth has been stolen replaced by distorted truth that will corrupt them. They worship God for what they want/expect to receive,perhaps because possessions are more impt to them than seeking to serve others&obey as Jesus did.These people are not content.
c) The truth - "but godliness with contentment is great gain." 1 Tim. 6:6.as true fulfilment &happiness comes from the Lord alone,our relationship with Him&following His teachings No amount of money,possessions&wealth can buy this. Jesus asks us in Mt 6:33  seek the kingdom first and His righteousness&all these things will be added unto you. Matthew 6:8 He provides for us we need,not what we want. God blesses us according to the riches of His glory (Eph 3:16, Col 1:27) and that translates to spiritual wealth. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. (Matt6:20-21)Wealth can be used for serving God,however the pursuit of wealth is not godly.

• 1 year later...

Material blessings are tangible - spiritual blessings may not be as evident to others.

We want to believe that God loves us and that may be easier when we are not suffering from lack of money - particularly when non believers appear to be prospering financially.

Since there is not always a lot of teaching about the practical ways to actually abide in God - to walk and talk with HIm daily - to know his presence and more importantly, his constant love and concern for us, we are susceptible to those who tell us that if we believe, we will see physical manifestations - i.e., increased wealth, health, and other physical blessings.

Churches - the physical buildings - can be very expensive to build and to maintain.  Staff is also expensive.  So we are asked to give sacrificially.  It sweetens the asking to tell people you "can't outgive God" who will surely reward you tenfold for your ever larger donations.

We love because He first loved us.  We have to truly experience God's love before we can give it away.  And we can't do that by focusing on the gifts - we have to abide in the Giver.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q1. Greed
  • 1 month later...

Lack of serious Bible study is the root of the problem.   Sad but true, new converts we're not properly catechized.  Over the years, there have been various movements which have appealed to many Americans with a modern affinities for consumerism. The Gospel of consumerism has become a staple for a number of televangelists and megachurches.  Tozer was even dismayed when churches were incorporating worldly methods to gain & retain church members.

The words "suffering" and "mortification" are often absent from the preaching of televangelists and megachurches.   Their perception of God as an ATM machine is stilted.   Apostle Paul definitely knew what suffering and Mortification we're all about.  His life was not comfortable; he went through tough times but was mature enough to face the challenges of real living with the Grace of God.  Apostle Paul had a very deep Respect for God; he wouldn't dictate to God what he wanted, he left everything at the feet of Christ Jesus.  Coming from a Jewish background, the sanctification of God's Name is extremely important.    The Prophet Ezekiel was definitely the same way; many "new school prosperity" preachers wouldn't be comfortable with Prophet Ezekiel on their Ministerial staff.

Prosperity Gospel preaching doesn't present the kerygma clearly.   There are deficiencies indeed:. lack of preaching of repentance, depravity of men, sadly---hardly a word or two about the burial, death and Resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ .