JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. The Good Fight

Q1. (2 Timothy 4:6-7) What does it mean to have "fought the good fight" or "run the good race"? What does it take to "finish the race(course)" God has designed for you? What does it mean to "keep the faith"?         

Paul was likening his service and committment to Jesus Christ and preaching the gospel throughout the Mediterrean using athletic terms.  It likened it to a battle or an athletic contest.  He had kept the faith in a satanic world.  Despite all kinds of hardship and persecution, Paul had continued to believe in and obey the great doctrines of the Christian faith.  Additionally, as a steward, he had guarded the doctrine which had been committed to him and had passed it on to others in its orginal purity.  Paul went the distance for Jesus Christ and the Kingdom of God.

Being faithful to Jesus and overcoming this world will get me across the finish line.  Keeping the faith means remaining committed to being a follower of Jesus Christ, honoring God the Father Almighty and engaging in the gospel ministry until I leave this world. I can do this through the grace of God in His Son Jesus Christ and fill with the Holy Spirit.

• 5 months later...

1a)It means to press on keeping our eyes focusing on Jesus,yielding to his lordship,being obedient seeking to follow his leading and persevere even endurng hardship at times on the path that the Lord has set before us in &through the power of HS in us.
b)To persevere through serious illness trusting in Jesus strength to sustain me.
c)To give God the glory.Not claiming to persevere in own abilities, but trusting totally in the power of Holy Spirit working in me. Keeping faith,being faithful in witness&remaining true, not denying Jesus&his work on the cross,even when tempted.We are in spiritual battle&are urged to share gospel with others what ever opposition we face..

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q1. The Good Fight
  • 3 months later...

He fought as a honorable wrestler.  It was due to his love for the Lord Jesus Christ that he endure sufferings, deprivations and bring forsaken by former brethren.  Paul wrestled against temptations, false brethren, and disappointments.

Paul had to keep up his momentum like a dedicated runner.  As good runners know, they must be disciplined: good diet, proper sleep, and keeping physically fit.   Slacking off is detrimental to a good runner.  It's about "regula".  Maintaining a daily schedule of prayer, Bible study and adherence to a list of rules conducive to leading a good Christian life.   Professional runners utlize rules daily; no haphazard nonchalance !

I need to get a daily hourly planner so I can be more methodical in my prayer and Bible study time and ministerial duties. I am doing good now, but still a more structured schedule is in order for 2024. Keeping the faith for me is adherence to daily Biblical study and not compromising during the discharging of my Ministerial duties.

• 2 months later...

What does it mean to have "fought the good fight" or "run the good race"? What does it take to "finish the race(course)" God has designed for you? What does it mean to "keep the faith"?

Paul doesn't say he WON the race, but rather that he finished it. I'm thinking of the straggler in a long-distance race, the guy who barely made it to the end. Breathless, exhausted, with blistered feet and covered with perspiration, he ran the good race ... he finished. 

To finish the race is just that -- to finish life still believing, hopefully growing, but without giving up the faith and reverting to atheism. I am certain that some of us actually do better than this, that it's a "good" race that we finish, that is, fair and long, but doable. And, I'm very pleased that God designs a race for each of us, our own personal race courses. The length of your race, it's difficulty, may be too much for me, but fits your abilities perfectly. That's what God does. He tailors our races so it's possible to finish them. 

Keeping the faith is the same as finishing the race. It's not giving up. It doesn't mean there are no detours or falls -- even heart-attacks! -- but that we recover, get back on the track and keep moving forward toward the finish line.

This sounds great, but I don't know where the finish line is! I think it's important to hear from God about your calling and purpose, your specific reason for being on this earth, so you can complete your task and get to that finish line.

• 4 weeks later...

Q1. (2 Timothy 4:6-7)

What does it mean to have "fought the good fight" or "run the good race"?

Paul is now busy handing over the baton to Timothy. He is looking back over his years of spreading the Gospel and what he has gone through to obtain where is presently.

So Paul compare his time of spreading the Gospel with a race of an athlete, and it was a good perfect race.  

What does it take to "finish the race(course)" God has designed for you?

It takes perseverance and eyes fix on JESUS "the winning line".

What does it mean to "keep the faith"?

To holding on to your faith so as not to give it up or lose it.

To have fought the good fight of faith or run the good race means that we have completed  the duties Gid has for us in this life,  served the interest of Christ, and been instrumental in carrying out the glorious victories of the exalted Redeemer over the power of darkness. We have gone throne the difficulties of our warfare .  We have persevered and not wavered from the faith even when things got hard but was steadfast and unmovable until this life is over.

To finish the race God has designed for us it takes faith in God, perseverance, steadfastness, commitment, and the Holy Spirit.  We must fight to finish our course  and not quite until for we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us.  We must fight until our days are done and the grave is ready for us. we have gone the way of all flesh and got to the end of our lives.   

To keep the faith means to hold fast one's profession of faith without wavering, to keep the doctrine of faith committed to our trust pure and incorrupt against all opposition, to be faithful to one's trust as a good steward of the mysteries of God not concealing and keeping back anything that is profitable but declaring the whole counsel of God, and  keeping the doctrines of the Gospel and never betray any of them.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

Q1. (2 Timothy 4:6-7) What does it mean to have "fought the good fight" or "run the good race"?

ANSWER: “Fighting the good fight of faith” involves running from sin and pursing things such as righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness. “Fighting the good fight of faith” is about making a choice, a choice to pursue God's will and a life of faith on a daily basis. Fighting the good fight of the faith is also about perseverance and continuing, even when the road is hard.

Christians should have the proper motive (an all-out desire to win the race), habits (of disciplined training and practice), and value system (high regard for God's laws and rules, and faithful obedience to them). Run your best in the race of faith, and win eternal life for yourself. Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus. The the race of faith; the most important race of your life, the race whose goal is eternal life with Christ, made perfect in him. Run your best in this race.

What does it take to "finish the race (course)" God has designed for you?

ANSWER: If you don’t press on studying and learning Scripture each and every day, you won’t know what Christ expects from those who call on His name, and you won’t be able to spot a false teaching when you encounter one. And further, if you don’t know what Scripture says about what Christ has commanded, you can’t be obedient. If you don’t know His commandments, you cannot do them; etc…

We must not be ignorant of the complete plan of salvation as given to us by God in Scripture. We must seek and do His will, not ours. And we must “fight the good fight of faith” and “finish the [race] course”! Let us now “press on to maturity,” “grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ,” “be diligent” about ensuring our final eternal salvation, “be obedient” to the commandments of Christ, “always abounding in the work of the Lord,” “fight the good fight of faith,” and “finish the race”!

What does it mean to "keep the faith"?

ANSWER; The Christian life is not lived exclusively between God and the individual; it is lived in community with other Christians. We keep the faith by remembering God’s faithfulness and continuing to grow in relationship with Him.

1. Keeping the faith requires remembering what brought us to faith in the first place. We need to be intentional about remembering God’s grace in our lives and remembering the wonderful gift of God’s salvation and following the example of our Savior, who “endured” the trials of this life.
  1. Keeping the faith requires a love of truth and a commitment to the Word of God. We must “test the spirits to see whether they are from God.” The Spirit of truth will never lead us into untruth..
  2. Keeping the faith also involves growth in Christ. We remember what He has done, and we look forward to what He will do. Practically, this involves having an active prayer life, studying God’s Word, and digging in to His truth
  3. Keeping the faith is also about community. The Christian life is not lived exclusively between God and the individual; it is lived in community with other Christians. They can exhort us when we are going astray. They can join in our gladness and in our sorrow.

To have fought the good fight and to have run the good race show a persistent willingness to do the will of God in spite of oppositions or negative circumstances.

To finish the course God has designed is to faithfully carry out the commitment due to Him in Christ Jesus. 

Keeping the faith is to believe in the One to whom we have made the commitments to serve without any doubt or failure.

Q1. I have fought the good fight, means that I have carried out to completion the job I have been given by God. Despite all the problems Paul faced he did not give up or shirk his duties in any way he kept persevering to the end. Speaking out telling the truth of the gospel, despite the consequences he endured , and now he is in prison and he knows  that his time is short. He can look back at his life and be confident that he has done everything that the Lord required of him. 
For me to finish well, will take daily prayer, meditation, study, adoration discipline and  obedience. I must keep my eyes firmly fixed on Jesus and ignore the worldly things round about. To keep the faith means that I know and speak out the truth without compromise no matter what the consequences are for me. 

Q1. (2 Timothy 4:6-7) What does it mean to have "fought the good fight" or "run the good race"? What does it take to "finish the race(course)" God has designed for you? What does it mean to "keep the faith"?

A1.

To believe that one has fought the good fight or run the good race would mean as in the case of Paul, he reviewed his calling to preach the Word by the Lord Jesus and assessed himself as having achieved the goal given to him by Jesus despite great persecution and death plots. As Paul approached the end of his ministry, he recalled that he had won souls for Christ and trained those who would continue where he would stop. This made him happy despite the fact that he knew he would be killed at last.

It takes strong faith in the Lord to be able to stand strong to the end so as to persevere in order to overcome hardship, rejection and even ultimate death as Paul was facing.

Paul knew that his ministry was top notch; he was looking forward to getting his full rewards in heaven.   Truly he knew that he gave his best during his ministerial career: a work of love and sacrifice. As God's undershepherd, the minister needs to obey the Good Shepherd and care for the People of God.   Not all are called to be pastors; they are not spiritually ready nor emotionally prepared for such tasking responsibilities.

Daily regula is crucial for the ministry.  Daily Bible study and a deep prayer life are essential.   No time to waste in frivolous living.   Staying on the road of holiness requires daily effort on our part.  Ministerial duties are tended to with hearts of love and gratitude: not done in halfhearted fashion.

Keeping the faith entails diligent study of the Holy Bible each day, and teaching God's revealed truths in a consistent and timely manner. This means not to waste time on gainsayers who have no interest learning Bible truth.

Like Timothy and Joshua, I must be diligent in fulfilling my ministerial duties.  Only the Holy Spirit can enable me to be a faith full evangelist.  Despite challenges, I continue to stand on the promises of Christ.  Daily waiting on God for a PENTECOSTAL Baptism of the Holy Spirit is so crucial.  We need the Balm of Gilead when we face periods of sorrow and disappointment.

To “fight the good fight” means that he has faithfully taught the gospel and he didn’t let the false teacher take over. He was punished for what he taught but he did not waver from his teaching. It takes trusting in God to “finish the race” that God has designed for me.

Q1. (2 TIMOTHY 4:6-7) 
What does it mean to have "fought the good fight" or "run the good race"? What does it take to "finish the race(course)" God has designed for you? What does it mean to "keep the faith"?
We sees the Christian life as a race. By having fought the good fight means we ran a good race and had tried our best. It had been a fight against Satan, against the law of sin operating within our own heart. To be able to say I finished the race means to have ran on course, and are now insight of the finishing line. A planned, designed race ruled by a personal faith in my Lord and which by God’s grace, I had managed to stay on course till the very end. To keep the faith means to continue to believe and obey all the doctrines of the Christian faith; to have kept it; to have guarded it; and to have passed it on to others.