JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Come Before Winter

• 2 years later...

4a)Paul probably knew he had v limited time& wanted his cloak ,,the encouragement of his parchments & Timothy’s support in these last testing day’s before his final hearing in Rome and likely execution.He urges Timothy to come before cold winter storms so he has warmth of cloak which he left in Troas&to avoid him being prevented from travelling overland through Macedonia by bad weather & ship across the Adriatic Sea to Brundisium &onto Rome b)If Timothy delays,he may not see Paul alive again as Paul may perish before he gets there, the winter weather will worsen &he may not have benefit of cloak etc. c)think Timothy given an opportunity to serve Paul his mentor would have prioritised this,hope so d)yes I like to think I would have done the same,as I know it is vital to take any opportunity to see people when know there are near the end of their life,to avoid regrets&give person opportunity to say their farewells &be at peace.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q4. Come Before Winter
  • 3 months later...

Urgent call was due to the impending bad weather that would make traveling hazardous in that part of the world.

Delay would entail not getting his winter cloak and Bible study materials.  Paul needed these items in that dark dreary prison.

We don't know for sure whether Timothy arrived in time to see Paul alive.  Probably Timothy was arrested in Achaia on his way to Rome (Hebrews 13: 19-23); we cannot be certain if he actually met up with Paul and his assistant Luke.  I know that I would have done my utmost to visit Paul in prison.  Our intentions mean much in the eyes of God; we may not be able to fulfill our goals, we rest in Christ and leave the results to Him.

• 2 months later...

The questions Pastor Ralph asks skip what bothers me the most -- Paul's death by beheading. The simple and plain meaning of the text suggests that Paul expected God to rescue him from evil attacks and bring him safely to heaven. He expected to be delivered once again.

But he wasn't rescued or delivered but beheaded. How can we trust God to rescue us if He did not rescue the apostles? I want to believe that God has my best-interest in mind even when I suffer, but I also want to believe that in the end, ON EARTH, God will protect me. These passages make me doubt. (Help me, Lord, deal with this. Give me wisdom and understanding so my faith in your goodness doesn't flag.)

--

I have no idea if Timothy made it to Paul before winter set in. Paul obviously thought he'd be in prison a long time if he asked for books and research material, so it doesn't make a lot of sense that he wanted Timothy to come straightaway ... unless, he had a nagging intuition from the Spirit that he would be murdered adn wanted to see Timothy one last time. 

Thank you, Pastor Ralph, for another great study.

• 4 weeks later...

Q4. (2 Timothy 4:21a)

Why is it important to Paul for Timothy to come before winter?

From Paul side he needs the cloak to wear in the prison, also his scrolls Paul's books, probably both of papyrus and the more expensive parchments.

From Timothy side Paul advice Timothy to come before winter because the wear became more difficult in winter for travelers. Because of storms, the Mediterranean was closed to shipping between November and March and ships would winter over in safe harbors.

What happens if Timothy delays?

Timothy could be in danger because of the winter weather and Timothy could lose the opportunity forever to assist Paul in the last days before his execution in approximately 65 AD. 

Do you think Timothy dropped everything and came to Paul's side?

I think yes, because of relationship that was build between them, "father-son" relation.

Would you, if you were Timothy?

Yes, because of the what Paul has deposit into Timothy's life.

Paul was missing the presence of his protégé and desired to see him before long for he believed that he would soon leave this world, He urged Timothy to arrive before winter if not it would  be too late to reach Rome in time. 
Timothy must have prepared everything Paul asked  him for he has always obeyed his mentor.

It was important for Timothy to come before winter because sailing was dangerous in winter if not impossible and Paul did not want Timothy to endanger his life,  He also needed his coat because it was cold in the winter.  If Timothy delays he might not be able to get there or bring the items Paul had asked for or get to see his friend Paul alive.

Scripture does not tell us if Timothy dropped everything and came to Paul's side but I imagine he did because of his friendship with Paul and the urgence of Paul's voice.  Knowing where Paul was and that all the other's has forsaken him for whatever reason, I think Timothy felt the need to get there as soon as possible so he dropped everything and went to Paul's side.

If I was Timothy, based on the sense of urgency in Paul's letter, I would probably drop everything and go.  Even though we can say what we think we would do we really don't know until we are faced with the situation.

Q4. It is important to Paul for Timothy to come before winter sets in because otherwise he would have to postpone his trip because he would be unable to get a ship out of harbour during the winter months. Paul was also living from day to day, very few friends around him for support or basic needs and I am sure he longed to see his protégé whom he loved and needed as his time to die approachs . He also badly needed his cloak to protect him from the severe cold of his prison cell.. He also hoped to get his parchments and writings. I’m sure he had final thoughts and words to add to them before his departure. He probably wanted to make sure that Timothy was fighting the good fight and holding tight to his faith. Especially in view of the false teachings that were trying to infiltrate the church at this time. He longed to hear first hand of Timothy’s progress in teaching and learning to deal with his timidity.

I feel sure Timothy would have gone straight away to Paul. Paul was like a father to him and he probably was aware that Paul had little time left on this earth. Timothy probably knew of the urgency of going before the shipping stopped for the winter. Also the thought that Paul was badly in need of his cloak and parchments would have sent him as quickly as possible. Most importantly he probably wanted to have Paul’s wisdom and insight into spiritual matter for the last time and to be able to encourage and support him as death drew nearer. 
I certainly would have gone straight away. How important it is to be with people as they face frightening and difficult situations, especially if they ask for your presence.

Q4. (2 Timothy 4:21a) Why is it important to Paul for Timothy to come before winter?

ANSWER: Why before winter? Travel became more difficult in winter. Because of storms, the Mediterranean was closed to shipping between November and March and ships would winter over in safe harbors (Acts 27:9-12)

The weather at that time of the year, so severe as to make it risky for ships to venture out. And so if Timothy did not come to Rome before winter, then he would not be able to catch a ship to Rome until the spring, and the spring would be too late, because you see, Paul, has a premonition. He knows that he’s going to die. He senses that he will not survive the winter.

What happens if Timothy delays?

ANSWER: if Timothy did not come to Rome before winter, then he would not be able to catch a ship to Rome until the spring, and the spring would be too late, because you see, Paul, has a premonition. He knows that he's going to die. He senses that he will not survive the winter.

While Paul hopes to see Timothy in person soon, he is unsure of what the future holds. Rather than wait, Paul wants to be sure Timothy has complete instructions on how to encourage the healthy function of the local church. If Timothy was to get to Rome, he would have to leave quickly or he would lose the opportunity forever to assist Paul in the last days before his execution.

Do you think Timothy dropped everything and came to Paul's side?

ANSWER: Timothy immediately begins packing his bags to go and be with his mentor, father, and friend. We do not know if Timothy made it in time. But we do know Timothy followed the faithful example of his mentor. Timothy is again urged to come before winter. The winter storms will make travel almost impossible and it is not even certain that Paul will be alive that long. He is to make all possible speed to come to Paul now. And yet Paul’s final words are not pointed at himself but are spent ministering to his beloved son in the faith.

He prays for the Lord to be with Timothy’s spirit, for God did not give Timothy a spirit of cowardice but of power, love, and disciple (2:7). This is a prayer for Timothy to fight the good fight, finish the course, and keep the faith in the power of the Lord. This is a prayer for Timothy to remain faithful as he trusts fully and only in the power of Christ. The final four words, grace be with you, state so much in so little space. This is a blessing as well as a charge. If the grace or favor (χάρις) of God is to be with Timothy, it implies that God shows His grace to Timothy. On the one hand, it is a blessing that reminds Timothy that his very life is a gracious gift from the Almighty by His grace. On the other hand, it is a charge to conduct the remainder of his life and ministry in a right standing with God as a true recipient of this grace.

Paul is ever the minster, ever the encourager, and ever the preacher. Doubtlessly these words were read through tears as Timothy immediately begins packing his bags to go and be with his mentor, father, and friend. We do not know if Timothy made it in time. But we do know Timothy followed the faithful example of his mentor.

Paul with his dying breath calls Timothy to emulate his ministry. Ministry Continues until the Lord Returns (vv. 19-22)

1. Care for Those Who Remain
  2. Never Desert the Faithful and
  3. Proceed in the Strength and Grace of the Lord

Timothy also served at least some time in jail for his faith and was later released, though the timing of this event is uncertain (Hebrews 13:23). Date: Approximately AD 65—67, just prior to Paul's death under the Roman emperor Nero. And Timothy with his dying breath proved to be like his mentor Paul and like his Master Christ. May we be found just as faithful.

Would you, if you were Timothy, dropped everything and go to Paul's side?

ANSWER: The answer to the question a resounding ”YES!” And the reason is that Paul was instrumental in Timothy learning how to be a spiritual person. A discipleship relationship is found between the apostle Paul and Timothy. Timothy joined Paul on his journeys, and their relationship grew to the point that Paul called Timothy “my true son in the faith” (1 Timothy 1:2). 

1. Discipleship Is Intentional … In Acts 16, Paul intentionally chose Timothy to travel with him to help Timothy grow in his faith.
  2. Discipleship Is Focused … Paul encouraged Timothy to continue learning from God’s Word to stay equipped for good works (2 Timothy 3:14-17).
  3. Discipleship Is Reproducible  … Paul challenged Timothy to teach others what he learned from him. That way, discipleship could continue (2 Timothy 2:1-2).

Q4. (2 Timothy 4:21a) Why is it important to Paul for Timothy to come before winter? What happens if Timothy delays? Do you think Timothy dropped everything and came to Paul's side? Would you, if you were Timothy?

A4.

The Mediterranean Sea would be closed to traffic to ships for safety at winter. Thus Paul wanted Timothy to arrive before the closure or else he would miss seeing Paul as the final judgment that would result in Paul’s execution would take place before the closed Mediterranean would reopen.  

I have a feeling that Timothy did not just drop everything and headed for Rome in response to Paul’s urgent invitation. My reasoning is based on the fact that many had already abandoned Paul before the final judgment to avoid being implicated too, so timid Timothy would probably have hesitated to respond positively and promptly to Paul’s invitation.

I am not sure I would have responded positively to Paul’s invitation if I were Timothy for similar reason stated above about Timothy.

Timothy had to get Paul's treasured Scriptures, cloak and Mark.   Timothy was diligent in his efforts no doubt.   We don't know for sure if he actually arrived in Rome before Paul's execution.  If he didn't get to Rome before the bad weather set in, Paul would be without his winter cloak and precious Scriptures.   Paul wanted to have fellowship with Mark; Paul knew how important Mark would be in the ministry.   Mark had an important role in the early Church: he could have been further instructed further in matters of the faith.

Yes indeed!  I would do my best and get a pastoral assistant to lead the Ephesian church during my absence.   The prison in Rome was horrific; he needed Christian fellowship very much.   Blessed be God, Luke and some Roman Christians were with Paul during his incarceration.

Q4. (2 TIMOTHY 4:21A) 
Why is it important to Paul for Timothy to come before winter? What happens if Timothy delays? Do you think Timothy dropped everything and came to Paul's side? Would you, if you were Timothy? 
The winter weather made travel very difficult or impossible. The seas were closed to shipping from about mid-November to mid-March (Acts 27:9-12). Even taking the overland route north of Greece, as Paul seems to suggest (2 Tim 4:13); Timothy would still need to sail across the Adriatic, which was also closed. Timothy may have received this letter in summer, leaving himself very little time to organize the trip. If delayed, he would only be able to come in the spring, so, Timothy could not delay and had to depart urgently as Paul might not be alive for long. I feel Timothy is obliged to respond immediately and help his fellow believer. His other companions had left Paul, he is lonely, the great apostle deserves to be obeyed. Timothy surely must have travelled immediately and joined Luke and John Mark, to be with Paul when he was taken outside the city and beheaded at the Ostian Gate. Yes, if I was Timothy, I’m sure I would have done the same. Perhaps, talk is cheap, who knows if I knew all the exact conditions if I would have obeyed Paul? 

It was important to Paul for Timothy to come before winter because Paul needed his cloak and travel would be more difficult in the winter. If Timothy delayed then he probably wouldn’t be able to get there at all because the shipping lanes would be closed for the winter. I think Timothy did drop everything and came to Paul’s side. Paul was his mentor and respected him very much. I think I would come at once because of love for him.