JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Father, Forgive Them (Luke 23:34)

What responsibility do I have in Jesus' death. A lot. If it weren't for his death I would not be saved.

But I would like to add that last week in church they had a reenactment of his crucifixion, and just seeing the "player" who was Jesus walking down the isle passing me with the cross on his back and the blood on his face I wanted to cry. Not just for the great gift of his death but I saw him as a man ( which he was at that time) who gave his life for me. His life served as an example for me of the great sacrifice he endured because of me. It's awe inspiring and it makes me pause and reflect.Because Jesus' final action was so final it reminds me there is nothing I cant endure for someone else.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Luke 23:34) Who was most responsible for killing Jesus? What responsibility do you and I bear in this? In what sense was Jesus praying for us?

1. In terms of what happened that day, the soldiers, scribes, leaders and Pilate were responsible. In long time terms, it was us, our sins, that was responsible. It was only thru the death and resurection of Jesus that we could be forgiven and cleansed of our sins.

2. We sin. If we could live in joy and love as God had planned, Jesus wouldn't have had to suffer and die.

3. He was praying to the Father for OUR sins to be forgiven. Even todays sins.

Q1. (Luke 23:34) Who was most responsible for killing Jesus? What responsibility do you and I bear in this? In what sense was Jesus praying for us?

His own people, had Him put to death, what a shame, He came to this earth to do nothing, but good and to show the new way of salvation was through Him and not the Old Law covenant. If they only Knew that by killing Him the Old Covenant laws where history, He dad put the money making priests and others that were using the law as making money instead of its real purpose. We bear responsibility for killing Christ, every time we reject Him for what He has done for usm that is why it is so important to walk your talk and live right, He gave His life for me and I shall not forget the day He saved, sanctified and filled me with the Holy Ghost and fire. He was praying for our sins to be forgiven, just as everyones will be if they come with a repentive heart.

Maranatha;

Bondservantmccue

His own people, had Him put to death, what a shame, He came to this earth to do nothing, but good and to show the new way of salvation was through Him and not the Old Law covenant. If they only Knew that by killing Him the Old Covenant laws where history, He dad put the money making priests and others that were using the law as making money instead of its real purpose. We bear responsibility for killing Christ, every time we reject Him for what He has done for usm that is why it is so important to walk your talk and live right, He gave His life for me and I shall not forget the day He saved, sanctified and filled me with the Holy Ghost and fire. He was praying for our sins to be forgiven, just as everyones will be if they come with a repentive heart.

Maranatha;

Bondservantmccue

We all are responsible for killing jesus,Because of our sin that he went on the cross,When he said forgive them because they know not what they are doing when we sin and we don't know that we are sinning and sometime we know that we are sining and we still do it.

We human beings were most responsible for killing Jesus.

We bear responsibility in this through our sinfulness,our wrong doings and ignorance.

Jesus was praying for us as He came to die for us so that we can be saved:"For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many." (Mark 10:45)

Q1. (Luke 23:34) Who was most responsible for killing Jesus?

The Jewish authorities. They knew Pilate had no backbone and that he'd cave in to pressure. Sure Pilate passed sentence, but if I were to judge who should accept the lion's share of the blame I'd blame the Sanhedrin.

What responsibility do you and I bear in this?

At the risk of offering an opposing viewpoint, I don't see how we could bear that much responsibility since we were born almost 2000 years later. We do share the guilt of Mankind though. It used to be a common theme at evangelic events to spice up the alter call by saying that if I (the listener) were the only one who needed saving, then Jesus would have still died for me alone. That's complete rubbish. If that were true Jesus would have come immediately after the fall of Mankind to save us all right from the word go. The vast majority of Mankind will never accept Christ as Savior and God knows that. They're quite happy in their own religions, or with no religion. God was and is not above using people, sacrificing them if you will, in order to achieve His plans. He hardened Pharaoh's heart to bring glory to His own Name. There are other examples throughout the Old Testament of God letting people die, and of His punishing the nation of Israel for King David's sin. Don't forget David found favor in God's eyes and still God killed his subjects arbitrarily when David ordered the census and did other things to displease God. I've got a real problem with the whole God is Love viewpoint when I read passages like that in Samuel. He is also a destroying fire.

Having said all that, you and I were guilty of rejecting Christ and deserved to be condemned . . . until it was made possible for us to be saved by means of the conviction of the Holy Spirit in out hearts and our decision to act upon it by accepting Jesus as Savior. Jesus died for me and I realize that I didn't deserve it because of the life I led and because I am part of sinful Mankind. I view this as a sins of the parents visited upon the children scenario.

In what sense was Jesus praying for us?

Pastor Ralph says, and I agree, that Jesus was praying not only for those who were actually crucifying Him, but for all Mankind who rejected Him and who would reject Him in years to come.

Everyone was responsible for killing Jesus because if it were not for the sins we all committed, Jesus would not have come to earth in the first place. We bear the responsibility to forgive others and to sin no more. Jesus was praying for us to be forgiven our sins which are regarded as debts owed to God.

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone, Pilate, soldiers, us, were responsible for killing Jesus,

Because of our sins Christ was crucified. He knew no sin.

Jesus was praying for us that our eyes would be opened and we would be saved.

• 9 months later...

For the actual physical killing of Christ, his crucifixion.Pilate was most responsible, as he turned Jesus over to the centurions ( who were following orders from the chief priest and scribes) knowing fully what they were going to do. And he said " I wash my hands of this mans blood".

The reason Christ was sent by The Father, lived and died in human form, was was for us ( He knew his Fathers will from the beginning) Yes, we are responsible for Christ death on the cross. Christ died to forgive us for our debts (our sins). When Adam disobeyed God, he brought sin into the world for all of mankind. That includes us - we are all sinners, born to sin through the sins of Adam. In obedience ( which speaks of itself, of Jesus immense LOVE for His Father) and at the WILL of His Father, Jesus took upon himself the sins of the world. He took them to the grave with him. He was giving us a way to be redeemed, to be reconciled to The Father through His blood. The veil was torn, and the curtain that kept us from the Father is removed, we now have a way to be reconciled to The Father through faith in Jesus Christ!

• 1 month later...

Sinful men are most responsible for killing Jesus.

Our responsibility is to accept and embrace Jesus' death on the cross.

Jesus prayed for us because so many would refuse to accept His ultimate sacrifice for the redemption of sinful men who could never of ther own pay the price.

Sinful men are most responsible for killing Jesus.

Our responsibility is to accept and embrace Jesus' death on the cross.

Jesus prayed for us because so many would refuse to accept His ultimate sacrifice for the redemption of sinful men who could never of their own pay the price.

• 2 weeks later...

I think in the heat of the moment, he was talking about his immediate persecutors. Corporately, he was talking about all of us. The thought of my putting him there is shameful, and a constant reminder of just how sinful I am.

On the larger scale, I like to think of his death as ending forgiveness under the law (temporary), and beginning forgiveness under grace (permanent while alive, and forever after we die).

His death is the single most important event of my life, because I condemned him, and he forgave me, all at the same time.

1.a. b. We, the whole human race are responsible for killing Jesus. "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God" Romans 3:23

c. Jesus is praying for all of us who put him there on the cross. He prays to the Father to forgive us and we in turn should ask for forgiveness.

Thank you Lord for your mercy and your grace.

• 11 months later...

Ultimately, it was the Human Race whose sin called for the only way of the Perfect Sin Offering in Jesus. The players in the historic events, being Pilate, the Chief Priests etc., were just the figureheads of Man's apparent destruction of God's only Son. They were blinded to the truth, as Paul later says. So mankind's sin was finally disclosed in all its horror and appalling selfishness in the closing chapter of Jesus' physical life (pre-resurrection). We present generation and all who preceded us must also bear the blame for Christ's death, as God in His mercy and wisdom, ordained this sacrifice to cover our sins in order that we might have the fellowship He so wanted. Jesus was praying for all of mankind and its ignorance of God that causes sin to flourish.

God Himself sent Jesus to die for us knowing ahead of time what would take place and by whom. If I were to say who was most responsible for the actual killing I would probably say the ones who pounded in the nails. They just blindly did what they were told to countless people and then to God Himself.

We are all sinners so we are all responsible for the reason Christ came so that we might all be saved.

If we had been there would we have been yelling "Crucify Him"? I believe we would have been. Or at least stood their silently, hateful or scared. We all needed HIm to die to redeem us. We just didn't understand. We are all part of the crowd, some of us gawking, sneering, standing there helpless and afraid of the anger around us. Afraid to stand for Jesus so maybe we just join in the chant. Go along with the crowd. Me thinks we are evil to the core and we don't understand how evil that is either. Jesus was praying for those who were pounding in the nails and then for all of us since we are all quilty.

I read somewhere that no one was ever so hurried out of this world than God Himself. Now we so want Him to return.

Maranatha Lord we need you and we thank you that there is hope in you.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

The Jewish religious leaders. They saw Jesus as a very real threat to their power over Jerusalem.

But really every sinner bears some responsibility.

Everyone has sinned and fallen short of God's Glory. Jesus came into the world to die to redeem us all, if we believe in and trust Him.

Jesus was praying for every person who ever lived. We literally don't know what we're doing in our lives. Every time we willfully disobey God we're hammering another nail in to Jesus' hands and feet in a spiritual sense.

• 5 months later...

We place the blame for killing Jesus on the key players:  High Priests; the Roman Governor; the religious council; Roman soldiers; Jewish leadership; Judas, the crowd, etc.  However, humanity send Jesus to the cross and killed Him.  Our sin was poured into Him and out of love He died for human atonement and reconciliation with God.  He died for our sin. 

As Jesus was dying He asked His Father to forgive them for they didn't know what they were doing.  Human blindness, ignorance, and darkness prevented humanity from knowing what they were truly doing.  The God of this world, Satan, blinds humanity from acknowledging and recognizing God.  However, humanity permits it to happen -- see Romans 1. 

All the players on the scene that day were just the face of all humanity.  Today, this generation is just as responsible before God for the death of Jesus Christ as they were in first century Palestine.  However, Jesus raise from the dead on the third day to show humanity that the grave cannot hold God and to give humanity the hope of salvation and eternal life with God.

• 5 months later...

I believe we are the most responsible for killing Jesus.  Although, we did not actually hold the hammer we are responsible for the spikes and his blood.  Our sins, those we have not yet committed is why he died.  He loves us and for forgiveness of those sins he died.  We sin everyday and sometimes knowingly and other times we sin and do not even realize it.  Father, please forgive us.

I believe we are the most responsible for killing Jesus.  Although, we did not actually hold the hammer we are responsible for the spikes and his blood.  Our sins, those we have not yet committed is why he died.  He loves us and for forgiveness of those sins he died.  We sin everyday and sometimes knowingly and other times we sin and do not even realize it.  Father, please forgive us.

• 1 month later...

Who is responsible for killing Jesus? we are because he bored our sins, (corruption, weakness, pettiness, etc...), of the world upon his shoulders.  

What responsibility do you and I have in this? Our responsibility is to do the right thing even if it goes against popular belief.

In what sense was Jesus praying? He was praying in a sense that He forgot his own anguish out of a concern for the salvation of the Accusers He asked His Father to forgive them because they were ignorant to the fact they did not know what they were doing. 

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Everyone is responsible for killing Jesus. He died as the ultimate sacrifice for our sins. Pilate actually found Jesus innocent. He was trying to release Him. But the Jews refused to let Him go.

Jesus was dying ton help open the way to heaven. He was asking the Father to forgive all of our short coming that were going to commit in the future.