JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. This Day You Will Be with Me in Paradise (Luke 23:43)

Because the thief saw something that many others could not see. He saw the Messiah being taken to death and that Jesus was innocent. Though he deserved to be up there he knew Jesus did not. That took great faith to believe that. The thief received everlasting life with Jesus. He was going to paradise with Jesus. He will spend eternity with his Lord Jesus.  I believe this meant alot to Jesus. Watching a thief with so much faith in him I believe in the end that made his day in a way. That The Father gave him that at the end. It brought Jesus great joy!

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The faith of the thief on the right was remarkable. When I was reading the article I truly believe that the repented thief had seen Jesus preached and performed miracles. He demonstrated his faith even while dying on the cross, because he acknowledge that Jesus was the Son of God. No one below could of had ever image that this thief would repent of his actions. God's compassion, mercy and grace was upon him.

• 9 months later...

Q2. (Revelation 1:17-18; Hebrews 12:2) What do the titles First and Last, Alpha and Omega, Beginning and End teach us about Jesus' nature?

ANSWER: What it is the titles “First and Last” teach us about Jesus' nature is,

1. Jesus is claiming to be the Great Jehovah of the OT;
  2. Jesus is claiming pre-existence as Jehovah of the OT;
  3. Jesus, by using this title is claiming that this was also thus, He is eternally Jehovah from the first to last.

The titles “Alpha and Omega” teach us about Jesus’ nature is Jesus is the Alpha and the Omega, which means that Jesus was here before time began, and He’ll be here after time ends. Jesus is eternal and Jesus is all we need.

Jesus is the first cause of our faith. He blazed the trail of faith, showing us what it means to trust our heavenly Father with our whole lives. Christ is the originator of our faith in that He begins it, as well as the captain and prince or our faith. This indicates that Jesus controls our faith, steers it as a captain steers a ship, and presides over it and cares for it as a monarch presides over and cares for his people.

It is important for us to understand that God in Christ is not only the creator and sustainer of our saving faith, but He is also the sustainer of our daily walk and the finisher of our spiritual journey. For if God in Christ is not the author of our new life, and if Christ is not the finisher and perfecter of our faith through the Holy Spirit’s indwelling power, then we are neither born again nor are we a true follower of Christ. “And I am sure of this, that He who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.” “In Him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in Him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory.”

How does knowing that Jesus is the Author and Perfecter of our faith help build our trust in Him?

ANSWER: He has many names, but Author and Perfecter are distinctly related to a life of faith. Jesus is the “founder” (or “author,” or “pioneer”) of our faith in at least three senses. First, He is the only one who has finished the race in its fullest sense. Jesus, however, has entered God’s rest in heaven and is seated at the Father’s right hand. We, together with these others, will reign with Jesus in heaven (Revelation 20:4). Secondly, it was actually Jesus’ perfect life that has made it possible for these others to run their race (Hebrews 10:5-14). If Jesus had not come, the race of everyone else would have been futile. Finally, Jesus is the reason we have faith. As one with God, He expressed the faithfulness of God toward us. God never gave up in His efforts to save us, and that is why we will reach the reward in the end if we don’t give up. Jesus ran with patience and remained faithful, even when we were faithless (2 Timothy 2:13). Our faith is only a response to His faithfulness.

In the end, Jesus is the “perfecter” of faith because He perfectly exemplifies how the race of faith is run. He laid aside every weight by giving up everything for us. Though we can never achieve what Jesus did in our own strength, we have His perfect example before us, and so by faith in Him, and keeping our eyes on Him (as have the others before us), we press on ahead in faith, trusting in His promises of a great reward. Just as the men and women of faith did in Hebrews 11, we have a task to do with the materials at hand. Jesus provides the defined standard.

• 1 month later...

Q2. (Luke 23:39-43)

Why is the thief's faith so astounding in this situation?

The thief has used the correct words that JESUS has normally used during HIS sermons to the crowd. This words was like music in JESUS's ears. So much so that JESUS immediately answer with a promise,  'I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise.'

What did the thief receive that day?

The thief has received eternal life. JESUS saved him from condemnation to saving grace through faith. JESUS's WORDS, 'I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise.' was the key to him to be saved.

What do you think this meant to Jesus?

I think this was the joyfulness moment in JESUS's last hour, to lead a criminal into HIS FATHER's KINGDOM.