JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. This Day You Will Be with Me in Paradise (Luke 23:43)

The thief was granted forgiveness because he did not know what he was doing....God Our Father will let us that repent and don't commit the same sin over and over again an open dorrway to the gates to his home ...If we continue to use his name in vain I do not believe he would grant us forgiveness...I myself do not use the LORDS NAME IN VAIN....Jesus died for our sins and some people don't realize this....Some people have no hope that there is a God so it is our job to show them the way to eternal life in heaven....I know I get off track but these are also my feelings....tinab

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (Luke 23:39-43) Why is the thief's faith so astounding in this situation? What did the thief receive that day? What do you think this meant to Jesus?

The faith of the thief is astounding because he is one who appears to have broken every law of the land, every word of the Scripture, yet still he believes that he can be forgiven and that the love of the Messiah, who was promised for so many years, can heal him and make him worthy. I think this attitude brings a smile to Jesus' heart. I believe we all have a piece of that thief within us, and it encourages me that if Jesus can forgive and offer salvation to such a man, He can offer it to me as well.

Why is the thief's faith so astounding in this situation?

The key is faith; the criminal or thief is bursting with faith. All of the disciples have fled, but despite the wood, the nails, and the pain of the cross, the thief believes in Jesus as the Messiah. The thief refuses to abandon his faith in God in this time of utter hopelessness and pain. The thief has more faith that day than anyone witnessing this gruesome event.

What did the thief receive that day? The thief recognizes the just punishment he is getting for his sins, but he believes so strongly (like the Centurion) that he asks Jesus to remember him. He was with Jesus in paradise that day.

What do you think this meant to Jesus? The thief is an encourager........a special companion, a follower, a believer of the Messiah and teacher Jesus Christ. His profound belief must have been a great comfort to the Teacher in his hour of need. Jesus did not die alone.

Q2. (Luke 23:39-43) Why is the thief's faith so astounding in this situation? What did the thief receive that day? What do you think this meant to Jesus?

"Faith is the substance of things hoped for and evidence of things unseen" Through God's divine compassion grace and mercy, this criminal had greater faith than the disciples who had little faith and fled with despair and hopelessness, not to be seen anywhere near the Cross. In spite of all the abuse hurled by the Roman soldiers and the other thief, this thief knew that Jesus was the Messiah. He confessed his sin and repented and wanted forgiveness in the words he uttered, while dying on the Cross. He rejoiced though in agony the prospect of eternal life and to be with Jesus in Paradise.

He believed in the prospect of a joyful life eternally with God.

When God turned His face away from Jesus who was carrying the sin of all humankind, even in utmost agony no human being can bear, He rejoiced like the angels in heaven the redemption of one more sinner to His Kingdom in heaven.

Praise and glory to God in the highest.

Indrajith

• 2 weeks later...

This thief exhibited an understanding and faith unlike anyone else on bloody Golgotha that day. Whether he was finally acting on a seed planted earlier or was simply encountering the Savior for the first time, he believed that Jesus truly was who everyone else was mocking Him to be - Christ, the Chosen One of God. Because of that faith, he received the promise of eternal life in heaven with Christ to be realized that very day.

I never thought of what a support this must have been to Jesus in His dying hours for courage and assurance. Here was a picture right before His eyes of exactly what His mission was accomplishing. This reminds me of Romans 12:2 and gives it a new meaning. Jesus

• 4 months later...

Why is the thiefs faith so astounding in this situation?-it amazes me that his hope and faith and belief in who Jesus is caused him to step out from what all the others were doing and speak the truth and also to ask for Jesus to [remember] him. All the others at the foot of the cross must have surely been loud and demanding that what they had to say came from what they saw....in the natural...and the other thief listened to them....but this one saw through the eyes of faith...and that was the truth that set him free and claimed a promise that only Jesus could make! Our Savior was still about His Fathers business in the most horriblest of conditions...

What did the thief receive that day? Salvation, pardon, eternal life with God!!! Wow what and awesome exchange took place in the last moments of both of their lives!

What do you think this meant to Jesus? oh, I could write forever on this one because it is very personal to me in that all I have inside of me to give that I have learned---I so desire for it to be recieved as God places people in my life to love, encourage, minister to, teach...Seeds that have been sown into this mans life had now come alive and caused his eyes to be opened to know and believe who Jesus is and make that confession with his mouth at this critical time, the end of his life. This miracle had to comfort Jesus to some degree that while in agony someone stood up for him and defended him in front of all those many who were trying to tear down his soul.

Thank You Father for loving Your Son and providing a situation where He could see hope and comfort during His time on that cross.

I just loved this statement made in this study. "Already darkness is falling over the whole land, and yet a dying thief believes!"---------------amazing faith and promise

• 2 weeks later...

The thief was just crucified, meaning he was in terrible pain and aware he was dying.

Then it is very strange to say you deserved it but another person is innocent.

The thief came to full faith that day.

He does not confess his sins but he does confess that he has sinned (first part of verse 41).

Jesus saw a man who believed in Him so He knew he did not die for nothing.

Respectfully, I do not think it comforts you when other people are also tortured just like you.

• 2 weeks later...

i belive that the thief was talking about his christianey to believe jesu,when he said ull be sitting at the right with your father.

jesus belive in this lost shepard as he believes in us to be reaching out to him,and to help otherswith so little faith.our faith we have to be strong and listen to gods words.

we are his children and god loves us.

• 1 month later...

this was a known and a criminal who had admitted to his crime. He deserved the death on the cross. He also recognized that Jesus did not deserve to die in that manner. It was his strong and powerful belief that Jesus was who He said He was. Even in death he sought out the Lord.

The thief received a life in eternal paradise with Jesus because he believed what he had heard. and he called out to Jesus in the end and was granted his wish . Jesus could see true faith even in His agony He was suffering.

I believe that this brought Jesus much happines and He was glad to be recognized as who He was and is. Jesus knew that His message had reached the ones who needed to hear it even in death. He looked at the with love in His eyes.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...