JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Christian Fellowship

Our relationships with other christians tend to be superficial because of the masks we wear. If I do not love myself, if I do not trust that God loves me, then I cannot love others. I will put up barriers in case they find out who I really am and stop liking me.

To have deeper, more authentic relationships with my fellow christians I need to know my identity in Christ. If I know that and truly believe God loves me and forgives me, I will be more secure in myself to be open to others and to reach out to them.

The only way to do this in fellowship is with discipleship classes teaching us our true identity in Christ.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are so many obstacles in our life which makes us compromise our beliefs. Even though we know the truth and what the Lord expects of us, we tend to put ourselves first in certain situations to make us feel or look good. We also tend to say or act in a way to take the negative feelings and looks away from us on to someone else. You don't want to rock the boat so you just go with it. When I am saying the word "you" I am talking about "me" Guilty and working on putting the Lord above myself. The first step is to acknowledge our faults and weaknesses, and the second step is to correct and follow through. What better way than to dig deep in the WORD, apply and live according to His will.

Why is our fellowship with fellow Christians so often just on a surface level? Because we don't live in Christ.

How can we have fellowship at a deeper level in Christ? We need to love Christ. all the time, and if we truly love Christ this happens, when we love someone they are always on our mind, and what we behold we see, and what we see we behold.

What would it take in your Christian group or your relationships with other believers to deepen your level of fellowship so it is authentically Christian? I need to be more loving, to see clearly, living in the light.

. . . and indeed our fellowship is with the Father and with His Son Jesus Christ. 1 John 1:3b

I think our fellowship with other believers is shallow because our fellowship with God is shallow. As I get to know God better and spend more time with Him, I will become more like Him. I will worry less about myself and my image. I will be more concerned about loving others and encouraging them to deepen their fellowship with God. As a result, our fellowship will deepen and we will reach out to others and continue the cycle. I think it all starts with deepening my fellowship with God.

i found my relationship on the surface is so complete with the lord.

we need to see why we as christians have thepurpose divinde to helpthers with fellowship.

te lord taught me to be a rightousessman to do the will of gods words.

we need to remeber that we are gods children,and we loe everyone,my fellowship with my bible studies friends are just like a light shinning to help those who need help.

Q1. (1 John 1:3-4, 6-7) Why is our fellowship with fellow Christians so often just on a surface level? How can we have fellowship at a deeper level in Christ? What would it take in your Christian group or your relationships with other believers to deepen your level of fellowship so it is authentically Christian?

There can be no true fellowship with those who reject Jesus. We can have fellowship with other christians as we have common faith, common Spirit,common gifts of the Spirit and the common enemy. It would take us to be born again and be washed by the blood of Jesus for us to have deeper level of fellowship.

Q1. (1 John 1:3-4, 6-7) Why is our fellowship with fellow Christians so often just on a surface level? How can we have fellowship at a deeper level in Christ? What ould it take in your Christian group or your relationships with other believers to deepen your level of fellowship so it is authentically Christian?

We often pretend on Sunday and go back to the world on Monday. We need to be Christian all the time not just when around believers. We have to live out christianity as Christ did, it is so hard to be faithful all the time but is an important part of our walk that is why we need strong Christian friends to help us in our weak times and we them. We need to be seeking the lost for Christ as He instructed not joining them in living as the world does.

Personally,I am of the view that surface relations amongst Christians are caused by selfish motives, wrong teachings and being uneducated in the word of God... immaturity. A deeper level of fellowship in Christ can be obtained by sharing one vision with other Christians and that vision would stem from the universal commandment given to us by our Father, to build His Church. That would require a unity amongst fellow believers, working towards a common goal and going out into the community and sharing the word of God, trusting and stepping out in faith that God will add the lost to His Church.

True Christian fellowship is sharing Christ with others as we share our own life. Relationships take risk. People are not real because there is pain and suffering as well as joy and fulfillment. Another reason is the accountability factor. It may cost you something. Being among true Christians who respect you for how God sees you, who is willing to taste of unconditional love, and also protect you are hard to find. It is also the greatest relationships of all because Christ is in the center and we strive together to allow God's plan and purposes to be present among us.

Q1. (1 John 1:3-4, 6-7) Why is our fellowship with fellow Christians so often just on a surface level? How can we have fellowship at a deeper level in Christ? What would it take in your Christian group or your relationships with other believers to deepen your level of fellowship so it is authentically Christian?

Q1. (1 John 1:3-4, 6-7) Why is our fellowship with fellow Christians so often just on a surface level?

I believe it is because many Christians are still walking in the darkness...pretending to walk in the light. When people get real with God and receive His love and approval...they will stop looking to people for validation and start having real relationships...trusting that God will work all things to good for those who love Him and are called according to His purpose.

How can we have fellowship at a deeper level in Christ? Spend more time with Him and His love will cause us to overflow with His grace and mercy for all.

What would it take in your Christian group or your relationships with other believers to deepen your level of fellowship so it is authentically Christian?

I am blessed to have sound relationships with other believers. I have learned how to discern who is truly walking in the Light of His Love and Grace as opposed to simply "believing" someone by what they say. I have found that if they truly walk in the light...they will not stumble in the darkness...Amen?...! In other words, their life will stand or fall with the Word of God as the standard.

I think that how deep our fellowship with Jesus is, reflects on how deep and sincere our fellowship with others becomes. Our relationships with other Christians or lost persons can be very surface if we are not loving from a heart that is filled by the Holy Spirit. The more we come to realize the unconditional love that has been given to us through Jesus, the more we can give that love to others. When we know grace and forgiveness, we can give grace and forgiveness. When we know in our hearts we are accepted "as is" by God, we can accept others in the same way.

If we live in fear of not really being loved, or accepted, or forgiven, then we end up "pretending" to be what we are not to please others. Thus, we have surface relationships because we can never really reveal who we really are. The same with our relationship with God. If we feel we have to hide out and pretend we are Ok or we don't sin, then we pretend we don't need God and His gift of grace through Jesus. It's much better to come into the light and reveal who we are to God (since He knows anyway!) and accept His love and grace and then allow others to be themselves with all their faults and flaws and sincerely love them too! Relationships deepen that way and we are more blessed than we could have ever imagined! I've seen in my life lately, even people who have been my enemies become dear friends just because each of us has chosen to love!

How do we have a deeper fellowship with God? I think time with Him is imperative! Time in quiet company with Him. In reading the Bible, in singing praises to Him. I walk with Him and take in all He has created with Him by my side. I spend much time in prayer, conversing with Him on so many things. Seek Him and keep seeking Him with all your heart! He promises we'll find Him and He is faithful!

In my opinion there are basically two things contributes

1. Fear of men

2. Selfish attitude

When we fear men's opinion then we build walls and do not openly discuss everything with others. That shows we do not 100% accept others are our brothers and sisters in Christ. This is because we do not fully care for others and wish them good and do not pray for their spiritual well being.

Selfishness dominates our life and we need to move away from self-centredness to Christ-centred life where we crucify the "self" and learn to take up the cross. This is a change required "inside" of us.

This change can only happen via the word of God and allowing the Holy Spirit to take control of us and change us.

Our fellowship with fellow Christians is so often on a surface level because we neglect to spend that quality time with them which will foster a deeper understanding of the individual, their needs whether it is spiritual or temporal. Once we have gain such knowledge we are obligated to share of ourself to help that person. Our help could be in the form of adding them to your prayer list or assisting in other ways be it financial or maybe just giving of our time.

We can have fellowship at a deeper level in Christ when we spend more and more time with Him in the study of His Word, in prayer and in meditation.

In our Christian group to deepen a level of fellowship so that it can be authentically Christian requires spending more quality time together; time in the study of the word and in social fellowship.

we are so conditioned ,not to reveal too much of ourselves,that even with the fellowship you have with other Christians holding back is so easy we can always tell our self , the Lord knows me , he has forgiven me but my fellow Christians are not going to be that accepting about the things I've done in my life,so we hold back and miss out on a deeper level of fellowship with Christ and our Brothers and Sisters in Christ. Surrender is the hardest but the most rewarding.

I believe that often as Christians when we get together in regular fellowship, we become familiar with one another and sometimes our gatherings become a form of escapism from the world and realities around us.We could find ourselves using this time to praise ourselves and even talk of the problems of others and fall prey to the evils of idle gossip.

We must always remember to stay focused on the Lord and in doing so build one another up. We should use time of fellowship to give glory to God, and build one another up in His word at all times keeping our Savior as the focal point. Hbr 10:24 And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds.

Q1. (1 John 1:3-4, 6-7) Why is our fellowship with fellow Christians so often just on a surface level? How can we have fellowship at a deeper level in Christ? What would it take in your Christian group or your relationships with other believers to deepen your level of fellowship so it is authentically Christian? So many people are focus on the out-side appearance, unlike God who see our heart. We often want everyone to look at us a Christian we we are at a church gathering, and once we are away the truth be told, many of our actions is just the opposite. I call it like this A surface Christian is one that is waiting to sink to the bottom if they are not true to what ground they are really standing on. The true surface of God grace and mercy that keep us committed no matter what and who we are around. We must first be committed to spend time reading his word and listen to what He is telling or saying to us. We often let our action be a reaction to the situation, not looking at what God is doing in our life. Our focus in off line. We need to be truthful and respectful to other. Tell each other when we are wrong but do it with the Fruits of the Spirit that is within us. It's time out for game we need to step up to our TRUE responsibility's as Christine and do God work not the work that we may choose that is easier for us. sometime it will get hard but, understanding that our hard days is a glories day in the Kingdom of God if we are obeying His word. Thank you God for letting me stay focus on you not focus on how people want are believe I should be. Let me be that light that is a representative of my True Love for You.

I don't think we really get time to get to know each other just seeing each other on a Sunday morning at Church. We need to experience life together, and I think you can do that far more effectively in a homegroup that meets each week. That way we can support each other through the hard times, and share the celebration in the good times of blessings. Only when we meet regularly and share our lives honestly in a small group where you can bear your soul and be vulnerable, can you develop trust. Trust is the thing that develops, and then God's love is truly and honestly shared.

I believe our fellowship with fellow Christians is so often on a surface level because there is often a lack of trust. So often, we strive to look out for ourselves without a genuine concern and love for the other person and this is "felt". To build a trust, we need to love unconditionally as Jesus loved us so we can feel secure in knowing we can share and no matter our situation of mistakes, we will be loved and accepted as a true friend in Christ. We must constantly strive to build a closer relationship with God so we will be secure enough to share this love with others.

Well having fellowship on a deeper level comes with time . Joining a group being commented each week month . Praying together even if at first it feels funny. Being there helping out each other. Also i read above what is said in the group stays in the group cool thing to have . Be accountable to someone to ask you the hard questions. These are some of my ideas . Also don't become isolated the internet is not a real church but a tool . The net can offer fellowship but if you can you should get out to a real people church . ( B)

A. We often lack understanding. Instead of having a deeper relationship with fellow Christians we look at our own worldy interests.

How can we have fellowship at a deeper level in Christ? What would it take in your Christian group or your relationships with other believers to deepen your level of fellowship so it is authentically Christian?

A. When we show others the LOVE of GOD. We should not be selfish and only think of our selves and our needs. We need to understand that God has created us and he knows us best. Our blessings come from him and him alone.

If we can understand all this then we will be able to say to our brothers and sisters in Christ that we can stay together and have fellowship because God will reward us.

1Jn 1:3 What we have seen and heard we announce to you also, so that you will join with us in the fellowship that we have with the Father and with his Son Jesus Christ.

1Jn 1:4 We write this in order that our joy may be complete.

1Jn 1:6 If, then, we say that we have fellowship with him, yet at the same time live in the darkness, we are lying both in our words and in our actions.

1Jn 1:7 But if we live in the light---just as he is in the light---then we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from every sin.

Very often our fellowship is based on the activities of the world dealing not with spiritual issues but rather worldly issues. Within our fellowship we need to grow spiritually. We need to know the needs of those we fellowship with ...we need to know them on a spiritual level. Basically we need to love them. We need to fell a commitment to them and to make sure that we are all walking in true faith.. Our church has taken this type of fellowship to small groups where we can get to know people and where they are in their spiritual walk and where they are in their lives also. We form bonds and form trust. We share in the growing of our spiritual lives as we gain maturity together but we also live as Christ wanted us to. We find outreachs we can do and together we share the gospel with those who do not know Christ. Together we have true Christian fellowship.