JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Legalism vs. Love

Q5. (1 John 2:3-6) How can we be serious about obeying Christ without become legalistic and judgmental, with the self-righteous attitude that the Pharisees had? How do love and legalism differ? How can we be serious about obedience and make love our center?

At times, it can be easy to become legalistic because we obviously don't want to disappoint Him. Unfortunately sometimes, if I do a few things right in a row, I feel independent and think I'm pleasing God. But then it happens again. Sin. I feel terrible, but then something good happens: I realize I need Jesus just as much as I did since before I became a Christian. I am reminded that Jesus' forgiveness is salvation, and that I need to depend on Him for everything. Being righteous doesn't come from me, it comes from Christ. I am humbled once again, and my relationship with him grows even more.

LEGALISM- focusing only on rules minimizes the purpose of Christ's blood on the cross, and our dependency on Him.

LOVE - being good comes along with faith, as a gift of LOVE to our Lord. However, where there isn't a Christ-like lifestyle, there is no faith at all.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q5. (1 John 2:3-6) How can we be serious about obeying Christ without become legalistic and judgmental, with the self-righteous attitude that the Pharisees had? How do love and legalism differ? How can we be serious about obedience and make love our center?

1.Continually study Jesus life so I have His example before me. Remind myself that God loves everyone just as much as He loves me, and He is the only one to judge, not us humans. Always remember that the only way to heaven is thru Jesus. Belief in His death, and resurection. His standing in for me so my sins are forgiven. I can't get to heaven by doing good deeds, no matter what the deed might cost me.

2.Love is feeling, from the heart. Legalism is more from the mind, trying to reason out what God gives freely. Trying to manipulate or earn your way to heaven.

3. I must feel love and recognize Gods greatness to want to be obedient to God. As I grow in my love for God, I will try to see God in others, and then learn to love them.

At times, it can be easy to become legalistic because we obviously don't want to disappoint Him. Unfortunately sometimes, if I do a few things right in a row, I feel independent and think I'm pleasing God. But then it happens again. Sin. I feel terrible, but then something good happens: I realize I need Jesus just as much as I did since before I became a Christian. I am reminded that Jesus' forgiveness is salvation, and that I need to depend on Him for everything. Being righteous doesn't come from me, it comes from Christ. I am humbled once again, and my relationship with him grows even more.

LEGALISM- focusing only on rules minimizes the purpose of Christ's blood on the cross, and our dependency on Him.

LOVE - being good comes along with faith, as a gift of LOVE to our Lord. However, where there isn't a Christ-like lifestyle, there is no faith at all.

• 1 month later...

our ferver for obeying christ comes out of a heart of gratitude. when we realize that that heart is in us only by the grace of god with the regeneration of the holy spirit, the humility and humbleness which arises in us is enough to stop us from judging any one else. Legalism,selfrightiousness and judgement are abandoned because any good in any of us is a gift and is there by Gods amazing grace.

consider yourself lower than all other men, become their servent, judging none of them and owing no man anything but to love them as Jesus said. If we therefor do the words of christ then obedience and love will be our signature. These are His commandments.

• 3 months later...

Answer:

1.How can we be serious about obeying Christ without become legalistic and judgmental, with the self-righteous attitude that the Pharisees had?

We need to recognize who we are in Christ,and that we become righteous by the Blood of Jesus,and through His obedience..and not our obedience to whatever legalistic bondage,that the church and religious teacher may enforce on us.

Without JESUS FINISHED WORK IN THE CROSS WE ARE NOTHING..-John 15:5

Romans 5:19- For just as through the disobedience of the one man many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of one man(Jesus Christ) many will be made righteous.

By recognizing that we are saved BY GRACE THROUGH FAITH(Eph 2:8-9-For by grace you are saved19 through faith, and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God; it is not fromworks, so that no one can boast)..it shuts our mouth for any boasting,and any self righteousness that the Pharisees have.

2.How can we be serious about obedience and make love our center?

By immersing ourselves in the love of Christ, perfect love that casteth all fears.,knowing that He love us first..

1 John 4:18-19- There is no fear in love, but perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears punishment has not been perfected in love. 4:19 We love because he loved us first.

Knowing that we are greatly Loved,makes us honor and value that relationship,that we just don

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Q5. (1 John 2:3-6) How can we be serious about obeying Christ without become legalistic and judgmental, with a self-righteous attitude like the Pharisees had? How do love and legalism differ? How can we be serious about obedience and make love our center?

I struggled with this terribly before I read through the entire bible and became better familiar with how everything comes together. I know I still struggle with this, and most likely will continue to, but I have noticed that my challenges are considerably less now because I act on love before anything. For me, when I focused strictly on following the commandments given, and didn't highlight on the two most important ones, LOVE GOD and LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR, I found it considerably easy to judge others and even myself. I was constantly criticizing my own ways and others, focusing on all the sins we would all continue to take part in.

I think we have to get to know God by reading through the Old Testament, and understand why things happened the way they did. Then I think it is important to learn about Jesus, in the New Testament, and realize the different approaches. I may be wrong, because I am just learning all of this myself, I am a new Christian and just getting better aquainted with the bible myself. But, it seems in the Old Testament that God was so frustrated and angry at our actions as humans. His constant disappointment in us led to destruction. But when Jesus came, He walked the earth as a man, a very gentle, kind, loving man. He taught with love, compassion and showed people the way to His light. God showed us how very much he loved us by coming to this earth in human form and never sinning and taking punishment for all of our sins. How amazing is that?! We do the crime, He does the time, and ultimately is executed for our actions. He did this all out of LOVE for us. When you put love at the center, it makes everything else easier. If He can love us this way, we should too love all others the same.

I am not the greatest at wording things that are going through my mind, and putting it all down on paper. But, I am guilty of sin, no different than others...and I know God has given me forgiveness through the blood of Jesus, no matter what I do. So, who I am to judge others and ridicule them for their mistakes when God has been so gracious to forgive all of mine. We are ALL forgiven that come to Him. So, my new approach to the ones I used to judge and criticize, is simply to love them with all my heart, teach them with my own actions by loving them unconditionally.

• 5 months later...

We cannot be nick-picky and too focused on man-made rules. We should be obedient to what Jesus tells us to do which is love first our Father and then each other. Legalism is following and trying to keep man-made rules while neglecting our love for God and justice. Following and obedience to God shows our love to Him and others. We must live and walk as Jesus did by obeying His teachings and following His example of complete obedience to God and love of others.

• 11 months later...

You can avoid being legalistic and judgmental by loving God and loving your neighbor. All of my conduct falls under one of those two actions. What God requires of me falls under both of these actions. It is truly all about love. Read I Cor. 13 for the definition.

When I act out of love it's because I "want to" and when I act legalistically it is because I "have to" out of fear of breaking some rule or regulation. Out of love is a better and purer way to act and live.

We need to take God's command to love seriously. Love is an action word not an emotion or something I feel like doing.

God commands us to love. It is not an option. We must make love our center just as Jesus is our center. God is love.

• 8 months later...

When we talk about legalism , then I believe we are talking about all of the Laws of , purification , cleansing , sacrifices, etc. The scripture teaches that Jesus fulfilled all of these laws. When Jesus was asked by the Pharisees , "" What is the greatest commandment , Jesus replied , ""

Matthew 22:37-40

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

If we Love God and Love our neighbors , then we will not steal from our neighbor , we will not covet our neighbors possessions , we will not lie to our neighbors or bear false witness. We will not break any of the commandments of God . Who is our neighbor ? The Bible teaches us that anyone  who is in need is our neighbor . This type of Love is action, it is a giving Love . John 3:16 "" For God so LOVED the world that He GAVE his one and only son , Jesus ...."" It is called AGAPE LOVE . This type of Love is a selfless Love , where we put others ahead of ourselves .The Bible teaches that we are not to think of ourselves more highly of ourselves than we aught to but to esteem others better than ourselves . We are to have the mind of Christ who came to serve and to GIVE Himself .... Jesus said , "I have come to serve not to be served ." -Matthew 20:28

Jesus said ," If you Love me , Obey my commandments."" Which commandments ??? The Greastest commandments.

1 Corinthians 3:13 "" So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.""

We cannot manufacture this type of AGAPE LOVE . It can only come from a surrendered heart , through dying to self and giving our lives completely and totally to God by recieving the free gift of salvation through Jesus Christ.

Ephesians 2:

But God—so rich is He in His mercy! Because of and in order to satisfy the great and wonderful and intense love with which He loved us,

Even when we were dead (slain) by [our own] shortcomings and trespasses, He made us alive together in fellowship and in union with Christ; [He gave us the very life of Christ Himself, the same new life with which He quickened Him, for] it is by grace (His favor and mercy which you did not deserve) that you are saved ([a]delivered from judgment and made partakers of Christ’s salvation).

And He raised us up together with Him and made us sit down together [giving us [b]joint seating with Him] in the heavenly sphere [by virtue of our being] in Christ Jesus (the Messiah, the Anointed One).

He did this that He might clearly demonstrate through the ages to come the immeasurable (limitless, surpassing) riches of His free grace (His unmerited favor) in [His] kindness and goodness of heart toward us in Christ Jesus.

For it is by free grace (God’s unmerited favor) that you are saved ([c]delivered from judgment and made partakers of Christ’s salvation) through [your] faith. And this [salvation] is not of yourselves [of your own doing, it came not through your own striving], but it is the gift of God;

Not because of works [not the fulfillment of the Law’s demands], lest any man should boast. [it is not the result of what anyone can possibly do, so no one can pride himself in it or take glory to himself.]

10 For we are God’s [own] handiwork (His workmanship), [d]recreated in Christ Jesus, [born anew] that we may do those good works which God predestined (planned beforehand) for us [taking paths which He prepared ahead of time], that we should walk in them [living the good life which He prearranged and made ready for us to live]

• 3 weeks later...

5a)We can be serious about following Christ,without becoming legalistic by seeking to ensure that all we do&say flows from motives of loving God&loving our neighbour.
b)Loving God &seeking to follow his commands to please Him,is different from legalism following minutea of manmade rules without regard for God&loving others.

c)Can only be serious about putting love at the centre of our obedience,by sumitting to God,reading His Word,spending time in prayer study&allowing Christ to lead our every thought &action.

• 4 weeks later...

I think that one of the ways that we can be serious about obeying Christ without becoming legalistic and judgmental is to keep our eye on what we are doing. If we are watching what we are doing then it doesn’t matter what others are doing. We are not to compare ourselves to others.

Love is doing things that come from the heart to help others. But legalism is doing it because the law says we have to do it. That is not from the heart. We do things because we know that pleases God and because of the law.

• 3 months later...

We need to love Christ.  We can be serious about obey without becoming legalistic and judgmental leading to a self-righteous very simply.  Love the Lord your God, with your whole heart and love your neighbor as yourself.  When tithing giving just what you have to, helping the poor, only if seem, loving your neighbor, only if you have too.  Love is something that is given freely.  If you are required by law to do something you are only doing it because you have to.  We need first a plan.  Stick to the plan or mission you have set up for yourself.  Ex.  Upon rising in the morning, Bible study and prayer.  Prayer all day long.  Keep God first in your life. Read the Bible and not just read STUDY!  The more we study the more we can actually feel Jesus and know his ways.  Pattern your life after him, be a God Coin!

• 1 year later...

We need to focus on God's love, on his grace, on that there is non righteous no not one.  This will help us to love others and not judge others.  With God's help we make love our focus.  

• 7 months later...

The other posts helped me with this.   Legalism is following rules for the sake of following rules.   Conversely, righteous living needs to stem from love for and obedience to Jesus, our Lord and Master.  Perhaps that approach helps us to be less judgemental of others.   I still do struggle with that - with disappointment in people who do not seem to care about being conscious of how they live.

• 8 months later...

We are to believe men who saw and heard and handled Jesus Christ. Believe men who watched the Messiah manifest, truth, love and obedience to the fatherMost importantly John taught: love is the opposite of hate. This love he talks about known in the Greek language (score on for the Hellenists) as agape is not an emotion, it is an unselfish, unconditional  love that has been given measure by God that goes beyond words it manifests itself in actions of love  and is connected to truth; 1 Jn 3:18.

Believe John echoing and endorsing Simon Peter –       2 Peter 1:16 “ For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty”.

Peter, James and John hears the prophetic word confirmed on a mountain that Jesus was God’s beloved son – Matthew 17:5- “This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him”.

John has captured and (further) solidifies this truth in his gospel that Jesus whom he identifies in 1Jn 1:1 as the “Word of Life” and in verse 1 Jn 1:3 as the “Son of God”, was in the beginning with God and is God – Jn 1:1.

we must know for sure, If a man gets it wrong about Jesus then he gets it wrong about God – because Jesus is the final, complete and perfect  manifestation and revelation of God, to men. Jesus himself says so in response to a request -John 14:9 9Jesus saith unto him, “Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father.

To close I'd like to give a few more scriptures to escape those grey areas

1 Jn 2:10; 3:11

1Jn 2:2; 3:7; 2 Jn 1:6

• 1 month later...

How can we be serious about obeying Christ without become legalistic and judgmental, with a self-righteous attitude like the Pharisees had?

Helping others without expecting a return to the point if the person you help tries to pay you back, tell them to remember when they see someone else in the same situation they were in.

How do love and legalism differ?

With love, one does from the heart and thinks nothing of it—the expense or manpower expecting nothing in return being no objective, and legalism utilizes contract, written or not. In other words, love is something you do simply because it needs to be done, even if it is for someone you don’t know (or maybe even care to be around), where legalism is where one acts out of fear of the consequences.  

How can we be serious about obedience and make love our center?

We can be serious about obedience simply by doing that which is right and willfully and (cheerfully) obeying the laws—both God’s laws and man’s, in that order.

• 1 year later...

Q5. (1 John 2:3-6) 
How can we be serious about obeying Christ without become legalistic and judgmental, with the self-righteous attitude that the Pharisees had? 
How can we be serious about obedience and make love our centre?

Being in Christ we have this desire to please our Lord Jesus. This we do in a threefold way – by keeping His commandments (v. 3), also by keeping His word (v. 5), and walking as He walked (v. 6). To keep His commandments is to obey the teachings of the Lord Jesus as found in the NT. To keep His word means not only obedience to what is written, but a desire to do what we know would please Him. To walk as He walked is the full expression of God's standard for His people; it means to live as Jesus lived. We do this not because of legalistic rules, but out of love and gratitude for our Saviour.

• 2 months later...

Q5. (1 John 2:3-6)

Q. How can we be serious about obeying Christ without become legalistic and judgmental, with the self-righteous attitude that the Pharisees had?

A. Our obedience shold be motivated by love for Him and just obeying for fulfilling the law

Q. How do love and legalism differ?

A. Love is the affection that draws us to the Lord and makes us to obey Him. On the other hand, legalism is religiously keeping of the law without regards to the father that made the laws.

Q. How can we be serious about obedience and make love our center?

A. By first seeking to love God and as a result of the love, obey Him

• 3 years later...

We can be serious about following Christ by walking with Him in a true relationship as our loving Father, rather than a person making rules and forcing us to abide by them or else, or counting our rules kept tally and thinking we are better than the next fellow because of this. We love in relationships, and in this case relationship with Jesus, but if we focus on legalism we do not have that relationship, but rather act as slaves to legalities.

As soon as love is the centre of the relationship, obedience comes natural, and you will be serious about it without being legalistic.

• 3 months later...

The tendency, today, is to go to the other extreme, to view Jesus as your best friend who demands nothing more than shallow affection, so frankly, I'm not worried about the legalistic attitudes in church today. Perhaps a dose of behavioural rules would help the church in it's sanctification process?

I appreciate how you worded it: "... to make love our center." The idea is that love becomes the motivating force for behavioural ethics.

I need to know more of God as love, not only as a basis of ethics, but as the basis of worship. You quoted scripture, Pastor Ralph, which indicated that I could be sure if I know Him if I keep His commandments ... but I don't. I sin in thought more than deed, but still sin. I would think that merely trying to keep His commandments -- love God, love neighbour -- would be so impossible that the commandment-keeping command would necessarily be broken. Continually.

I''m not wording this well because these thoughts are complex and i'm not sure what to think. I guess what I'm trying to say is that deeds done out of motives other than love are not "good" even if they are aligned with the commandments. Secular people do good deeds, too, without thinking of the commandments.  

So, for a Christian to obey God, h/she has to not only do the deed required, but act in such a way that h/se is motivated by love ... i'm not sure I've ever had such a pure love as my motive.

• 6 months later...

(1 John 2:3-6) How can we be serious about obeying Christ without become legalistic and judgmental, with the self-righteous attitude that the Pharisees had?

Focus on the bedrock of Christ’s teachings:  That we are sinners, that mankind have always been sinners, that Jesus came into the world to be born of the flesh to better understand man and finally, to suffer and die for our sins on the cross.  Not just one set of sins but the sins of believers for all time. 

The focus must not be on us, it must be on Jesus.  This immediately negates the “self-righteous attitude.”

Legalism is about self, and what I -  me - my can get out the situation.  Love is about focusing on others (love thy neighbor), and especially on God and Jesus Christ.

How can we be serious about obedience and make love our center?

Contemplate, Meditate, and Regurgitate the 10 Commandments.  Follow them, do not break them, speak them out loud.  But when we do break them (sin), immediately repent, ask forgiveness, move on, knowing God loves you and rejoice in God’s Love.