JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Unforgiveness and Blindness

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The love of God is perfected in him that keep God commandments. We are to love one another. Those who walk in hate remains in a dark state. Spiritual darkness dwells it will keep us from the heavenly life. We have got to forgive those that has done things aganist us, I know it hurt but we must not let that stop us from doing what God wants us to do. We got to walk in the light and let our light shine for others to see.

Q1. (1 John 2:7-11) How does hate and unforgiveness blind us spiritually?

Hate and unforgiveness blind us spiritually becuase it inhibits our ability to step into the light. Hate and unforgiveness keeps us in darkness.

If we have been darkened by hurt and hate, how do we come into the light?

If we have been darken by hurt and hate, we come into the light by loving and forgiving those who caused the pain.

When we know better but still harbor a hatred or unforgiveness or grudge against someone else, especially one of our brothers or sisters in the Lord, then we are blinded spiritually and have a lack of fellowship with them as well as with the Lord Jesus Christ, and we must give these feelings up by confessing them to the Lord and then repenting of them for sure, and only then will we be forgiven for our sins and the Holy Spirit will bring us back into fellowship with our brothers and sisters and especially with the Lord Jesus Christ, and restore the joy in the Lord a long with them. This happened to me a few years ago when I harbored a hatred for another person and the Holy Spirit convicted me of it, I went to the Lord and asked God for His forgiveness for it and He forgave me and restored my fellowship not only with the person I now have learned to love, but even more importantly, with the Lord Himself. I was very miserable for a while and it was probably very hard for anyone to live with me but after words, the Holy Spirit restored me and gave me once again the Christian joy that I used to have when I was a brand-new believer, and I believe that this is what John is speaking of here in this passage. Amen!

Q.1. Ans. Hatred or unforgiveness makes us spiritually blind. As god is Love He or H.S. cannot flow into our life.Hatred cuts us off from God Himself. We think we are spiritually o.k., we worship, we sing, we pray, but all in wvain .We are doing all this at the other side of the wall that has been come up in between us and God,otherwords our unforgiveness has built a wall between us and God without us even knowing it.

b]An unwillingness to forgive our nieghbour ie others cut off us from thr forgiveness of our sins. If we dont forgive others, god wont forgive our sins also.

c]Forgiveness is not optional. We must forgive others, then the darkness that is hovering over our life will move away. and God's light , LOVE WILL HOVER OVER LIFE and it will give us peace.

Q.1. Ans. Hatred or unforgiveness makes us spiritually blind. As god is Love He or H.S. cannot flow into our life.Hatred cuts us off from God Himself. We think we are spiritually o.k., we worship, we sing, we pray, but all in wvain .We are doing all this at the other side of the wall that has been come up in between us and God,otherwords our unforgiveness has built a wall between us and God without us even knowing it.

b]An unwillingness to forgive our nieghbour ie others cut off us from thr forgiveness of our sins. If we dont forgive others, god wont forgive our sins also.

c]Forgiveness is not optional. We must forgive others, then the darkness that is hovering over our life will move away. and God's light , LOVE WILL HOVER OVER LIFE and it will give us peace.

Q1. (1 John 2:7-11) How does hate and unforgiveness blind us spiritually? If we have been darkened by hurt and hate, how do we come into the light?

As we go about our daily lives we sometimes come across people who seem to be set on attacking us in one way or another. sometimes their attacks get right down deep inside of us and no matter how we try there just seems no way forgive them. It is at times like this when we need to meditate on the example that Jesus set for us, and drawing on His endless love, look past the sin and focus our love on the person who often is just the messenger.

If we can't look past the sin, we find ourselves being blinded to the truth and in our bitterness we often tend to blame God for our situation, and in doing so hinder our growth and maturity in Christ.

We need to learn to love beyond what the flesh has to throw at us and in doing so forgiving as we have been forgiven. Always remember that where there is light, darkness cannot prevail.

Q1. (1 John 2:7-11) How does hate and unforgiveness blind us spiritually? If we have been darkened by hurt and hate, how do we come into the light?

"

9 Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates his brother is still in the darkness. 10 Whoever loves his brother lives in the light, and there is nothing in him to make him stumble. 11 But whoever hates his brother is in the darkness and walks around in the darkness; he does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded him." (2:9-11)

Notice how hatred or lack of forgiveness makes us spiritually sightless. The verb is typhloō, "to deprive of sight, to blind."3 Hate blinds us.

What's more, an unwillingness to forgive cuts us off from forgiveness for our own sins:

"If you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins." (Matthew 6:15)

This scripture tells us that in order for us to be forgiven by God, we must forgive our brothers and sisters. We must love them as Christ loves us. Otherwise, we live in darkness.

Love is the key to walking in the light, becasue we cannont grow spiritually while we hate others. Our growing relationship with God will result in growing relationships with others. Christian love is not a feeling but a choice If we choose love God will help us express our love.

1Jn 2:7 Beloved, no new commandment write I unto you, but an old commandment which ye had from the beginning: the old commandment is the word which ye heard.

1Jn 2:8 Again, a new commandment write I unto you, which thing is true in him and in you; because the darkness is passing away, and the true light already shineth.

1Jn 2:9 He that saith he is in the light, and hateth his brother, is in the darkness even until now.

1Jn 2:10 He that loveth his brother abideth in the light, and there is none occasion of stumbling in him.

1Jn 2:11 But he that hateth his brother is in the darkness, and walketh in the darkness, and knoweth not whither he goeth, because the darkness hath blinded his eyes.

When we hold onto hate and unforgiveness we are continuing to walk in the darkness and in the darkness we can not see clearly...therefore we will stumble and we will fall. It is not until we give up that hate or find forgiveness that we can clearly walk in the light with the Lord and see clearly. We need to let go, which is possible with the Holy Spirit's guidance.

Hate and unforgiveness are impediments to the flow of God's love in our lives and blind us spiritually...both from us to Him and others...and from Him to us, as His love gets "backed up" -- if your eye is full of light, how great is the light inside...and if your eye is full of darkness, how great is the darkness...?

Forgiveness is a choice. If you are having trouble choosing to forgive, then you need to humble yourself before God and ask Him for His help in doing so. One needs to forgive from the heart...and not only the mouth.

True forgiveness is the most freeing gift known...from that place of forgiveness all life and love flows. Praise Jesus!! He made it possible...!

Q1 Hate and unforgiveness are the two greatest obstacles in our Christians life. It is like our life without directions, going aimlessly in the world having no one to help and guide us. Doing things as we like thinking only of self righteousness and we are never in the wrong. As we are of the flesh we tend to sin and we will not be able to receive forgiveness from our Heavenly Father for all the sins we have committed.

Just like having no one to turn to in times of trouble. Forgiveness is of the utmost priority in our Christian life. Sometimes it is easier said than done but as Christians this is our call from God. We need the strength, the love and the grace of God to overcome it and to let go of all hate, bitterness and anger.

If we are weak in these areas, we need to focus on Jesus, the source of hope and think of the abundance mercy God had for us. To be real followers of Christ, we have to do as He does. As at the cross He said: 'forgive them Father for they know not what they are doing.'

It is hard to see real, true love that comes from God if we are focused on our own feelings of hate. It is hard to accept forgiveness when we can't find it in ourselves to forgive others. As a result we become blind to these things, not able to understand how we can recieve them when we can't seem to find it in our own hearts to love or forgive. For me, this doesn't always mean the big things. I found it easier to forgive the man who abused me and move past that than to forgive my husband when he forgets to take out the trash. Often I hold on to the hurt that I feel was inflicted by those I love because they mean more to me and I feel the pain more. This for me is even more blinding spiritually. I need to learn to let go, to talk about my feelings, and to accept that hanging on the the hurt and or hate do not help or allow me to grow as a person, or spiritually. Hanging on to those feelings throw up a road block and keep me stationary, trapped in the darkness. Only by letting go can I move on.

Hate and unforgiveness are hallmark characteristics of our old nature. The "new light" in which we may now walk is charactarized by our submission to the Holy Spirit who now teaches us what love really is. When we let our old nature rule our behaviors and attitudes it is a clear indication of our rebellion to submission.

If we continue to rebel and do not learn to listen to and follow the leading of the Holy Spirit, we broaden the gulf between holy living and continuing to allow our sin nature to have free reign of our lives. Now that we have a choice to no longer be slaves to sin, our failure to access a new way of living is rebellion.

As we learn to submit, and shed ourselves of the pride that authors hate and unforgiveness in our lives, we learn to understand what it means for us to be forgiven for the filthy rags we are in our own sin. We learn that we are loved, and how to love others in return.

Forgiveness is acknowledging who God is and that it is HIS place to judge and to deal with sin -- both mine and others. I can and should be hurt and angry over sin and injustice, whether directed at me or others, but I need to allow God to deal with the sinner, not dispense punishment myself. When I refuse to forgive, or to hand the matter over to God to handle, I am putting myself in the place of God. I walk in darkness instead of in God's light, and I am blinded by my unforgiveness. When I let go of my pride and unbelief and instead trust in God -- to the point I can say "Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him" -- I can forgive others and live in God's light.

Hate and unforgiveness separate us from the character of God, who is love and is always ready to freely forgive the repentant offender. To abandon that character is to step away from light into shadows of darkness, where nothing can be seen clearly.

The core commandment to the believer, which reflects the core revelation of God to humanity, is to love. I think the first step to come into back into light when we have been darkened by hurt and hate is to fully recognize it for what it is and name it as sin. Then we must come into agreement with God's Word and confess the lack of love we've been demonstrating towards another (which will also have been a lack of love toward Him). He has already promised forgiveness and cleansing. And then I think it's critical to ask for His help and guidance to correct the course, make amends, and move forward in restoring fellowship. I always think it's helpful to remember that we aren't called to like everyone, but we are called to display love to them.

How does hate and unforgiveness blind us spiritually? Because it causes us to walk in darkness, that is cut off from the light of God

If we have been darkened by hurt and hate, how do we come into the light? By asking God for forgiveness and by asking our brothers or sisters against whom the hate or bitterness has been directed for forgiveness and by offering our forgiveness to those brothers or sisters who we perceive to have hurt us.

When we hate and fail to forgive we are not showing the love has commanded us show. We are walking in darkness and not the light. In order for us to be forgiven we have to forgive. Forgiveness is not about the other person but us. We come into the light through Jesus Christ. To rid our life of hate and unforgiveness we have to have Jesus. Our flesh will lead us to believe we have a reason to continue to hate and not forgive becasue we have been hurt.

By "Harboring" it into our minds, unless we stop feeding our hearts

from hates and unforgiveness it will not only blind us spiritually but

most of all keeps us away from the salvation Gods offer to us.

The only way to come into the light is to accept Jesus teaching and

walk with and have close relantionship not for a day but day by day.

Gener

we have the contrast between love that is false and that whic is tru.if one professes to be a christian and yet hates those who are truly christians,its is a sure sign that such a one is still living in darkness.

te one who loves his brothers/sisters abides in the light.thus the darkness is passing away whenever men recieve the light of the gospel.the arkness has not all vanished because many have notcome into christ,the true light,is already shinning,and whenever sinners turn to him we are all saved,that the true meaning of frgiveness.

If you have hate and no forgiveness for someone, you are walking on your own power. You are not listening to the Holy Spirit who is in you instead you are only listening to yourself. In doing this you cannot grow spiritually, for you have closed out the Holy Spirit. We come into the light by listening to the Holy Spirit in us, He directs us and tells us what we are doing is wrong. He guides us to scriptures which in turn fuels the Holy Spirit living in us which in turn helps us to surrender to Christ, for on our own we cannot forgive or get rid of that hatred in us for our enemy. We may not know it but we more then likely have a lot of people praying for us when we are down and are in that state of mind. Prayer is powerful!Thru those prayers the spirit in us is touched and it only takes that little allowance for it to grow. Remember that He who is in you is greater then he who wonders the earth. B)

How does hate and unforgiveness blind us spiritually? If we have been darkened by hurt and hate, how do we come into the light?

hate and unforgiveness are depressing debilitating negative forces that weigh us down

they are the opposite of Christ's uplifting Love and Forgiveness.

we can overcome negative forces by focusing on the light of Christ

We are supposed to be like Christ. He gave us the Spirit and the Word, His own example, to be able to do so. If He could forgive all of us, in our imperfection, our pettiness, our scathing idiocy regarding love and forgiveness, then we can be like him.

I have been darkened by hurt and hate. I have stumbled around for years. I stumble still. To come into the light, to be accountable for the sin of my imperfect emotions and psychological blinders, I must pray for the living waters to wash over me, so that I may be like Him. The first step toward accountability is to confess. The second is humble and ask for help.

This I do, O lord. Help me to climb out of the darkness and be able to forgive as you forgave us. Help me to draw near you and feel your Spirit. Help me to leave my pride in the dirt of the roadside and admit sin instead of feeding it like some gruesome and dangerous pet. Help me to trust in your ability to protect my soul and lead me to right behavior. I love you with all my heart and mind and body and soul. Amen.

I find that I often hate who the government tells me I should hate, who the news tells me is "evil." Recently, I have discovered that these people are not evil, simply differernt from me, and my country is running around in fear of the unknown. How could I have been so blind and unperceptive of what is right and true? If I could have forgiven from the begining, I could have shared God's love with so many, and been an example of love to many more who have been sucked into the same illusion, that all of these people are terrible people. This hatred blinded me from God's love of all people, it allowed me to think terrible thoughts about what should be done to these people, in the spirit of patriotism I did not even think about personal stories and how each of these people are made good and beautiful in the eyes of God.

It is easier for me to forgive if I think about the ways I have betrayed and hurt God. If someone hurts me, I know I have hurt someone else, or God, in the same way. I have no right but to be gracious with them because my Father was first gracious with me.