JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

What is the "anointing" that John is talking about? In what way is anointing connected to the Holy Spirit in the Bible? Do you think that each Christian has received this anointing?

Does this "anointing" refer to baptism?   At baptism, we receive the Holy Spirit, who works faith in us.   So, baptized Christians have been "anointed" (God-empowered).

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/17/2009 at 8:17 PM, Happy Feet said:

What is the "anointing" that John is talking about?

The anointing John talks about power one receives when he becomes filled with the Holy Spirit. Jesus talked about this in Acts 1:8  But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you…………… Another example, also in Act10:38  how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power He went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with him. This power leads us in truth and understanding. Given the opportunity, God will speak directly to you through the Holy Spirit. I get stuck often in the Bible and eventually the truth comes to me.

In what way is anointing connected to the Holy Spirit in the Bible?

They both involve a laying on of hands. Olive oil was used in the OT but after Acts we see a direct laying on of hands without oil.

Has every Christian received this anointing?

That’s a great question that would lead to many more. I’m not really sure how to engage on that one.

What do you think?

I think that what the Bible says it what it says. The Bible talked about receiving an anointing in OT times by using oil and laying on of hands in NT times. Of course there are those would argue that nobody laid hands on Jesus’s head and also that on the day of Pentecost the apostles were simply “overcome” with the spirit (so to speak). But from that moment on it was always distributed by a laying on of hands.

• 1 year later...

Q2. (1 John 2:20-21) 
What is the "anointing" that John is talking about? 
Do you think that each Christian has received this anointing?

John is talking about the anointing we receive from Jesus Christ, which is the Holy Spirit Himself, who is the anointing, and who teaches the child of God the things of the Lord.
Yes, each true Christian receives this anointing. The moment a person believes on the Lord Jesus Christ, they receive the anointing of the Spirit - they are indwelt and sealed by the Holy Spirit. This enables them, as believers, to discern between truth and error. At the same time, they are baptized by the Spirit into the Body of Christ. Without the Holy Spirit in our lives we will refuse Jesus Christ as our Saviour, but with the Spirit our Christian journey begins. With time we will grow spiritually and become more and more filled with the Spirit, and as we come closer to the Lord, we will be more conscious of our own complete unworthiness and sinfulness. We will be more occupied more with Christ and less with self – eventually come to the realization that God is working in and through our life. 

• 1 month later...

Q2. (1 John 2:20-21)

Q. What is the "anointing" that John is talking about? In what way is anointing connected to the Holy Spirit in the Bible? Do you think that each Christian has received this anointing?

A. It is the presence and the power of the Holy Spirit.

At Jesus' baptism, the Holy Spirit came upon Him in a form of a dove and He was filled with or anointed with power

I believe each Christian receives the Holy Spirit at conversion and this comes with power believe is annointing  

• 11 months later...
  • The anointing that John was talking about is the unction from the holy one (which is the Holy Spirit)
  • The anointing oil was associated with the Holy Spirit (1 Sam. 16:13), In Acts 10:38 anointing is connected to the ministry of the Holy Spirit and christ's ministry and in 1 John 2:27 the anointing is the Holy Spirit is connected to the ministry of the spirit in the life of a believer since 1 Cor. 2:12-14 tells us the Holy Spirit is the one who teaches believers.
  • so far as you only believe then automatically you have the Holy Spirit 
Edited by Felix Ako Anang
I forgot to answer the last question please

• 2 years later...

Q2. (1 John 2:20-21) What is the "anointing" that John is talking about? In what way is anointing connected to the Holy Spirit in the Bible? Do you think that each Christian has received this anointing?

John is talking about anointing with reference to the old Testament, when people etc, were anointed as a sign of being set apart, but also to the individual as a means of empowerment, as it happened with David. When David was anointed by the prophet Samual, the Bible says,  from that day the Spirit of the Lord was with David. 

It was Jesus who read it in the synagogue in Nazareth from the book of Isaiah, "The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor." (Luke 4:18, quoting Isaiah 61:1). This anointing occurred at the baptism of Jesus when the Holy Spirit descended upon Him. In  Acts 10:38 it also talks of how Jesus was anointed by God with the Holy Spirit. John also refers to the anointing of the believer with the Holy Spirit as receiving the Spirit of Truth, and this is all we need to teach us the word of God as it is written, and will teach, and show us clearly how to discern the truth from those standing at the front teaching false doctrine. 

I think each born again Christian has received this anointing, and like David, we have this empowerment, and guide of Truth in us, and when we stumble we are reminded within that we are set apart and are doing wrong, rebuked if you may by the Holy Spirit, and like David the Spirit of God never left him and he repented and turned back to God, only because he did not ignore the burning conviction in his heart by the Spirit of God.

• 2 months later...

I would just like to note that in a schism, it can also be the faith-filled people who leave. When my old Anglican church blew up about six months ago,  congregants serious about their faith and Christ left; remaining were the corrupt minister and his blinkered followers. Liturgical churches can bury apostacy more easily than Bible-sermon centric churches because the liturgy carries faith and the minister/sermon are mostly incidental. So the enemies and heretics were left in the church and like Post-Pentecost, the “backdoor” revivals are happening in other churches to which faith-filled believers fled.

In a way, COVID was great for the church. Weak churches folded. Weak pastors left the ministry. Fewer people remain in the pews, but their commitment to the Lord is much stronger. As they witness, churches will grow, again.

What is the "anointing" that John is talking about? The Holy Spirit’s presence that enters certain believers to empower them to do their assignment/calling.

I find it interesting that God anointed Jesus with the Holy Spirit AND power, as if they were two separate things. I don’t understand this.

The Holy Spirit is the agent in the godhead that anoints believers.

Do you think that each Christian has received this anointing?

I should, but don’t. Nor do I believe that every person has gifts, though I should. It’s just that in my experience, I have no gift nor do I have an anointing. I have no idea as to my calling or purpose.  I’m lost. Yet my faith is strong(er) than ever. 

I have been isolated for three years now. Part of this time -- a large part -- has been spent in study of God’s word and reading the works of wise men, like Pastor Ralph, who comment and teach His word. After three years, I have no anointing. I want to serve Him. I want an assignment. But my feet have been nailed to the floor, in a place I detest and a life I want to flee. I have been kept by Him in solitude but don’t know why. I pray it is a preparation time for when I'm "released," but maybe this is it ... there is no bigger life?

So when you ask if all Christians are anointed, I’d say that all Christians have the Holy Spirit, but not all have been empowered to complete particular assignments or callings God has chosen for them.

• 6 months later...

(1 John 2:20-21) What is the "anointing" that John is talking about?

John is talking about the Energy that God sends to each of those that believe in him, AND accept his Son, risen from the dead.  After one’s baptism, they are anointed with the Holy Spirit, and this will help open their eyes to the truth as found in God’s Word.  It remains in us from that point forward, and it is real, always leading to the Truth.

Especially in the Old Testament, oil was used to Anoint a person as a symbol of God’s power place upon them.  It was usually poured on their head, to simulate the blessings from above.  Anointing is a link to the presence of the Holy Spirit, and the power that it unleashes.

Has every Christian received this anointing? What do you think? 

No, only those that have both accepted Jesus Christ as their Savior, and have been Baptized in water are accepted by God and Christ as ready to receive an anointing of the Holy Spirit.