JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. (1 John 2:20-21) What is the "anointing" that John is talking about? In what way is anointing connected to the Holy Spirit in the Bible? Has every Christian received this anointing? What do you think?

The "anointing" John is referring to is the Holy Spirit, which God has anointed His followers with, that leads and guides them into truth. Anointing of the Spirit in the Bible is often symbolically seen in anointing people and objects set apart for God with oil. In my own opinion, I am a little confused as to how the anointing (pouring out of the Holy Spirit) works in the church, in reference to individual believers; what I mean is, there are some people that I see that have a assurance that God is with them, leading them, and has a relationship so personal with them that He speaks to and guides them in ways they clearly understand; but then, there are those that believe, as I am, that struggle over whether they have the anointing or not, because it seems that they don't have that connection with God that the former Christians mentioned seem to have. I sometimes asks myself if God is in me, wouldn't I feel Him, or is He there, but I don't know how to recognize the feeling, and if He is in me, why is it so hard to kick the habits that I recognize in my life that I know are not pleasing to Him. To answer the question, I believe every Christian is sealed with the Spirit, but that topic is still confusing to me, seeing as He is evidently active in some believers' lives, and others struggle to find Him.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THE ANOINTING IS THE PRESENCE AND POWER OF ALMIGHTY GOD IN A BELIEVER'S LIFE, THROUGH THE HOLY SPIRIT.JESUS WAS ANOINTED WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT AND POWER ; WHEN DAVID WAS ANOINTED BY SAMUEL , THE POWER OF GOD CAME UPON HIS LIFE.I THINK EVERY CHRISTIAN HAS THE ANOINTING OF GOD ABIDING ON THE INSIDE, BUT IT NEEDS TO BE DEVELOPED. I ASK GOD TO FILL ME UP WITH HIS SWEET SPIRIT DAILY SO THAT I CAN DO THE WORKS HE DID.

What is the "anointing" that John is talking about?

This anointing allows us to know the truth. Those of us that receive this anointing will be able to recognize false teaching.

In what way is anointing connected to the Holy Spirit in the Bible?

The Holy Spirit uses anointing to bring about truth and holiness to people of the earth. This anointing also works to empower people to get the job done on earth, for God. It is through this anointing, this empowerment to prosper, that allows a manifestation of the truth of God's Word in this earth. Without the Holy Spirit, the anointing is not available to people.

Has every Christian received this anointing? What do you think?

When one receives the Holy Spirit, they receive the anointing. Not all Christians have received the Holy Spirit. A person may become born again and be saved, and never come to the knowledge and understanding of the Holy Spirit and His gifts and anointing. There are numerous churches operating today, without the Holy Spirit being manifested or involved in their activities.

Q2. (1 John 2:20-21) What is the "anointing" that John is talking about? In what way is anointing connected to the Holy Spirit in the Bible? Do you think that each Christian has received this anointing?

It is the empowerment and designation from God through the Holy Spirit. It is the receiving of the Holy Spirit which also serves as the seal. Each Christian receives the annointing, yet we do not always walk in the annointing, but rather self. The be being filled is the work of the Holy Spirit. It is being indwelt by the Holy GOd, with God truly with us. It is surrendering to God's power and authority and the Holy Spirit.

Q2. (1 John 2:20-21) What is the "anointing" that John is talking about? In what way is anointing connected to the Holy Spirit in the Bible? Do you think that each Christian has received this anointing?

We are anointed by the HOLY SPIRIT OF GOD and therefore can discern truth from error.

This anointing we have is due to the indwelling of the Holy Spirit in our lives - praise HIS name.

Everyone who loves and follows the Lord Jesus has this anointing (Paul to the Romans 8:9-10)

blessings - Denis

When we invite Christ into our lives we receive the anointing of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit starts a work inside each of us, making us more like Jesus. He guides us from the inside and teaches us how to behave.

It is NOT the same as baptism in the Holy Spirit, for this causes us to bubble up and overflow in the Spirit, speaking in other tongues and receiving power.

All Christians are able to receive this, but sadly, not all do.

:wub:

When we accept Jesus into our lives we receive the annointing of the Holy Spirit. Our bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit and He changes us and annoints us. I believe that not all Christians received this annointing. I know that I am a different person than before I received Christ.

• 2 weeks later...

Q2. (1 John 2:20-21) What is the "anointing" that John is talking about?

The "anointing" that John is talking about is the endowment of the Holy Spirit.

The anointing is connected to the Holy Spirit as is quoted by Jesus Himself when He said, "The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor" (Luke 4:18). This same anointing has been passed on to the believers. Jesus prepared His disciples for the coming Holy Spirit. He told them, "But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me" (John 15:26). Jesus went on to say in John 16:7, "Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you."

Do you think that each Christian has received this anointing?

In the body of Christ each believer has received this anointing, it is a promise of Jesus to every believer. This is how John can confidently say, "As for you, the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit -- just as it has taught you, remain in him." (1 John 2:26-27)

• 3 weeks later...

The anointing that John speaks of is the indwelling of the Holy Spirit in believers. There are many passages that refer to the anointing in the context with the Holy Spirit, one example is when Christ came from being tempted in the wilderness,he selected a passge to read that said the Spirit of the Lord is on him because he has anointed him to preach to the poor. Yes, I believe that every Christian has received the anointing. We may not be called to preach, but the Holy Spirit has anointed us.

John is talking about how the Holy Spirit has rested on the children of God. Anointing is connected to the Holy Spirit because it is the power of God given to them. Anointing was the power given to O.T. followers. Under the new dispensation, Jesus has provided our helpmate: the Holy Spirit to give us power to fight the enemy in the present and in the future to come. Those who are Holy and do the work of the Lord. Those who operate in the dark loses the power of the paraclete.

The anointing John is talking about is the anointing of the Holy Spirit by Jesus Christ.

The anointing is connected by the Holy Spirit because Christians are anointed with the Holy Spirit.

Not all Christians have. Some are still seeking this anointing.

• 1 month later...

The anointing that John is talking about is that the believer has received an anointing from Christ, which is the Holy Spirit. The anointing is connected to the Holy Spirit in the Bible because of his presence and power. Yes, I think every christian has the anointing. It is up to us how we use that anointing. If we choose to follow Christ, obey His word, live according to his word, the Holy Spirit will guide and teach un in the way of truth. We will know that we have the power through the Holy Spirit to defeat the devil.

• 3 months later...

John refers to the fact that each real church member had surely received the Spirit of God within him, something that was not going to go away, a blessing for eternity. This is the same Holy Sprint that David [by oil] and Jesus [baptism] received. Clearly each Christian that John wrote to had received such anointing, as we are so bless to have received.

• 1 month later...

Literally, anointing is when somebody gets oil on his head to obtain a special task.

John talks about having the Spirit.

Jesus anoints us with the Spirit (instead of with oil).

Yes, in John 7:39 we read that believers will be given the Spirit.

• 7 months later...

1. This is when God fills us and covers us with the Holy Spirit. Not oil, but the Holy Spirit.

2.Many kings, priests, etc. were annointed with oil, but only believers are annointed with the Holy Spirit.

3.Yes, God is good and has annointed each believer with the Holy Spirit. We can gradually turn from God and smother the voice of the Holy Spirit in us if we don't continue in prayer and study, and praisin God.

• 3 months later...

The anointing seems to indicate special, super-natural power of one's words or actions. obviously powerful solely because God did it. Several examples were given, as in David, Isaiah, Jesus. When one becomes a believer, one receives the Holy Spirit. His power is released as we surrender (daily) to Him. We receive the Holy Spirit at the point of our believing in Jesus as our Saviour and Lord0 (John 7:37ff; Acts 2:38; John 1:33ff; John 14:16 and many other verses. The verses that speak most clearly to me are from Ephesians 1:13-14.s

• 1 month later...

Answer:

1. What is the "anointing" that John is talking about?

1 John 2:20- But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things.

Unction or anointing- means the power,that the Holy Spirit will flow through a person,to whom the Holy Spirit dwells,freely given by JESUS to those who ask for it.

The Holy Spirit anointing for which Apostle Paul refers to

• 3 months later...

What is the "anointing" that John is talking about?

Receiving of the Holy Spirit

The anointing of the Spirit can cause miracles of provision to come forth (Matthew 15:30-37)

Has every Christian received this anointing?

No, I do not believe that every person that labels themselves as a Christian has necessarily received this anointing. There is more to it than that. There are many people that attend church and call themselves Christian, but are afraid to be baptised, they are afraid of the commitment. I believe there are even those of us that can be baptised and have not necessarily received the Holy Spirit at the same time.

What do I think?

I think I still have a lot to learn and understand about this topic and crave to learn more. It's still somewhat confusing to me. However, I do believe I have received the Holy Spirit since I have embraced Jesus to the fullest and have complete faith in Him. It wasn't until after I fully read the Bible all the way through that I began to have a better understanding. But, when I prayed with my husband when he was really depressed and feeling lost, I felt something entirely different move through my body, and I know it was the Holy Spirit.

• 5 months later...

In addition to the Holy Spirit, John could be talking about the scriptures as well. Both are protection for believers against false teachers. The anointing is connected to the presence and power of the Holy Spirit. I don’t think anyone who opposes Jesus -- who is the Truth has this anointing.

• 11 months later...

John is talking about the anointing of the Holy Spirit.

Some instances of anointing connected to the Holy Spirit in the Bible include:

Jesus was anointed by the Holy spirit upon his baptism -- John 1

Samuel anoints Saul as King -- 1 Samuel 10

When a person repents of sin and acknowledges Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Saviour (born again), that person receives the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit, and the Spirit of God enable the believer to discern between truth and error or have the capacity to recognize what is true and what is not.

• 1 month later...

Q2. (1 John 2:20-21) What is the "anointing" that John is talking about?

The outpouring of The Holy Spirit on believers.

In Old Testament times the Holy Spirit came upon people who had been anointed by a priest or prophet. In the New Testament God filled people with the Holy Spirit when they believed in Jesus as their Savior. In some cases the anointing of the Holy Spirit came as a result of the laying on of hands, in some cases by the actual anointing of believers by apostles and elders, and in other cases, for example Cornelius, God just did it anyway once He saw they believed Peter's message of salvation.

Do you think that each Christian has received this anointing?

When we accept Christ as our Savior and Lord something definitely happens in our hearts and minds. We're different from that moment on. There are many denominations that believe in a separate Baptism of the Holy Spirit, while others believe the Baptism of the Holy Spirit occurs at Salvation or conversion. It certainly happened that way to Cornelius. So what to I believe? I believe we receive the Holy Spirit at conversion . . . if our conversion is genuine. Some give lip service to accepting Jesus while they don't truly mean it. I also believe that the laying on of hands and the whole "slain in the Spirit" experience is NOT the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. I believe it is a special touch from God. Perhaps another additional empowerment for a special purpose. I've also seen with my own eyes people who go forward every Sunday just to get "slain in the Spirit" and to fall over. I truly believe that's psychosomatic, phony if you will. I remember one night back in 1977 a visiting prophet was speaking at our evening service and he called anyone wanting a word from God and a "touch from the Lord" to come forward. I went forward. When he came to me he said something generic, like a horoscope reading, and when he laid his hands on me I felt my knees go weak. He whispered to me: "Not yet, brother" . . . and my knees strengthened and I didn't fall back. That was the closest I've come to being slain in the Spirit. I don't place much stock in it.

• 8 months later...

2a)Anointing is God’s empowering of an individual,symbolize by pouring of oil on a person Jesse brings his youngest son David before the Prophet Samuel: "Then the LORD said, 'Rise and anoint him; he is the one.'So Samuel took the horn of oil and anointed him in the presence of his brothers, and from that day on the Spirit of the LORD came upon David in power." (1 Samuel 16:12-13)

b)The anointing is closely connected to presence&work of the Spirit coming to dwell within us when we first believed.At Jesus baptism he was anointed by "the Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily form" (Luke 3:22). Later, "Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan and was led by the Spirit in the desert...." (Luke 4:1) Peter's understanding of Jesus'power &his anointing. At the house of Cornelius, Peter "God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and power, he healed those under the power of the devil, because God was with him." (Acts 10:38) Jesus, Messiah,Anointed One,was anointed by the Holy Spirit.

c)Each Christian receives this anointing,Jesus made it possible through seal of grace with his blood for us to communicate through Spirit in us with the Father.Jesus is the One who pours out the Holy Spirit (on all who believe)his people (John 15:26; 16:7),We can hinder it’s work or allow Him to work in us-where the fruit of His Spirit is exhibited in us....His love for others comes to live in us,,,, things that use to be ok are seen as sin.,We are changed and are new creations and the Holy Spirit guides us in all things. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The anointing that John is talking about is the Holy Spirit that each member of the congregation had received. the anointing is connected to the Holy Spirit in the Bible in that God chose or called people to service and oil was used to anoint  them.  When anointed the Spirit of the Lord came over them.  Every Christian has the Holy Spirit with them if they follow Jesus.  This is our Advocate, our Friend, our Consoler.  Jesus when he ascended said the Advocate would be with us.  But, I believe God "calls" certain people to do certain jobs.  I was "called" to the ministry at 13.  Later in life I was called again. This time I was anointed with the Holy Spirit.  I felt a "kiss" on the top of my head and liquid fire poured over me.  That is the only was I can describe it.  I burned from within.  I felt full yet wanted more.  The grass became greener, the sky bluer, the scriptures cleared.  It was awesome.  That is the anointing.

• 9 months later...

The "anointing" that John speaks of is what the King James calls "unction" and is synonymous with the Holy Spirit. This is why once we receive the Holy Spirit and are anointed with Him (we "put Him on"), scripture begins to make sense and the "light goes on ". My opinion is that not every Christian automatically receives this anointing unless they specifically seek it or ask for it.