JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. An Interest in Spiritual Things

Q2. Was Rebekah a spiritual woman, that is, interested in spiritual things?

I think to a degree she was. She knew that God had chosen her to become Isaac's wife. She sought the Lord in regard to her unborn babies. I'm inclined to believe that Rebekah was more concerned with promoting her favorite son Jacob than fulfilling the will of God.

Was Isaac a spiritual man?

I also think Isaac was only nominally spiritual, especially compared to his father Abraham. The Genesis account kind of glosses over Isaac. It goes into great detail about Abraham, only mentions the greatest hits in Isaac's life, then goes on to chronicle the life of Jacob in detail. So Isaac may have been more spiritual than the account indicates but we don't know for sure. We do know that Isaac was fully aware that his blessing given to Jacob was a conduit for God's own blessing. That's why he didn't recount it when he realized he'd been deceived.

Which do you think was the more spiritually sensitive?

Isaac, but only by a short half head.

What evidence of spirituality do you see in Jacob?

Up to this point in his life I don't see much evidence of spirituality in Jacob. He's worldly and deceitful. I found the account in the Bible so interesting that I read on beyond this lesson's scope, and later on in Genesis we find Jacob becoming mature and actually honest . . . well, honest compared to his even more deceitful uncle!

In Esau?

I think Esau was pretty much godless his whole life. He nominally worshiped God but didn't trust in Him or seek Him.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Rebekah, was a spiritual woman when she prayed to become preganant. She acted in the flesh because she did not trust God to wait for his plan and wanted to help God move the plan along. On the other hand, she heard what God had to say about his plan, believed what she heard and decided to just walk by faith and not by sight and made something happen. Eventhough she did not see the plan, she watched and waited for the right opportunity to take what God promised her. Operating in the flesh, I see her as a deceiver and a liar and taught her child do the same thing.

I do believe that Isaac was a spiritual man because he obeyed the voice of God, eventhough he was deceived by both his wife and son Jacob.

I believe Issac was more spirtually sensitive becaues he did what God told him to do. God did not tell Rebecca to do anything. He just told her what would happen with the twinsl

Both Jacob and Esau were obedient to their parents. Jacob deceived and stole; Esau became rebellious and full of hatred for his brother so in this regard neither bother was spiritual.

• 3 months later...

2a)Rebekah heard from the Lord, God chose her,response to the servants prayer, as a husband for Isaac. She was barren, and would have called out to the Lord.

b)The LORD answered Isaac’s prayer for a baby,with gift of twins, She grows close to Jacob,the quieter one,more homely,she tells Jacob about the prophecy.

c)Isaac more spiritually sensitive, as he checked with Esau “are you really Esau”,he trusted in God.

d)Jacob was obedient,fearful of consequences,but is blatently deceitful,dishonest with no hestitation.

e)Esau had worldly values,putting self-first before family,he sought Isaac’s blessing with tears.

• 11 months later...

I think that Rebekah was a spiritual woman because she believes the angels that told her that the first child would be subjected to the second child. I don’t think that Isaac was as spiritual as Rebekah was but he had to be spiritual because he knew that his father was going to sacrifice him but the Lord provided a ram for the sacrifice.

I didn’t see any evidence of spirituality in Jacob or Esau. They were out for themselves and it didn’t matter how they got there.

• 11 months later...

in the story of rebecca i believe the important elements are the 10 camels and the carrying the water on her shoulder. (later the children of israel will be described as carrying the un leavened bread on their shoulders). the new testament says that water cleanses. the story of joseph suggests that he arrived in egypt via a camel caravan. my conclusion is that camels represent a medium by which knowledge about god is transferred from one community to another. hence, rebeccah providing water to the camel's of abraham's slave suggests that she possessed a purer understanding of god's ways than he did. furthermore. since isaac is later described as "blind" this suggests that Rebecca had a closer connection to God than he did. the interesting connection in all the stories is "cooking" : jacob cooks esau's meal, rebecca cooks Isaac's meal, and, later , Pontiphar the man who buys the slave joseph who arrives with a spice caravan, is described, in Hebrew, as "a cook".

• 7 months later...

Frank Kopke says

I'm not sure that either Isaac or Rebekah found a great deal of spirituality in their lives. Isaac understood much about God and was a devout believer as seen when he demands that his sons not marry locally later on. Rebekah on the other hand, is into anything and everything for her main chance. Having a son who gets two thirds of all inherited property means she will be well off anyway but having that son be HER favorite son, her mommy boy and pretty much a follower of all her words, makes her position VERY strong.

If Esau had inherited the greater portion there is no guarantee that he would not have squandered it. He seems more the "eat, drink and be merry" type with his masculinity being on display at all times and his cavalier attitude to life. Jacob on the other hand is far more into planning, scheming and setting things up for the future...a skill that fitted his nature but also was fed into and nurtured by his mother who seems to have a similar nature. 

This all seems to hark back to the Sarah Hagar thing where the wife saw no spiritual fulfillment of a promise and decided to get out there ahead of God. Look where that has landed us some 4000 years later. Now, with the scheming and deceit of Rebekah and Jacob, we have further strife and even declared hatred in this family and that can never lead to good things in the future. Somebody is going to have to turn from this path of destruction and deceit. 

Strangely, like the brothers before them Isaac and Ishmael (who came together to bury Abraham), these brothers too, will come together later in this story. I seems (surprisingly to some) that is is Esau who has overcome his anger and hatred by the time Jacob comes back.

I like that!  It proves to me that Esau, the real man of the two, (Jacob still seems a bit wishy-washy in his dealings) is also the 'bigger man' of the two and this makes him an example to men who think that church is just for women and children. Even a great hunter, mans man, and BBQ master is the spiritually more sound, stronger and positive character of this story. You don't gotta be a mommys boy to go to church...real men can be spiritual and Godly too.

• 2 months later...

Q2. Was Rebekah a spiritual woman, that is, interested in spiritual things? Was Isaac a spiritual man? Which do you think was the more spiritually sensitive? What evidence of spirituality do you see in Jacob? In Esau? 

No, Rebekah was not  a spiritual woman at this time and Issac doesn't appear to be spiritual either. Rebecca most have been somewhat spiritual when she heard God say

"Two nations are in your womb,

and two peoples from within you will be separated;
   one people will be stronger than the other,
   and the older will serve the younger.'" (25:21b-23)

At this point, as a teenager, the bible does not give us any indication that Jacob was spiritual . neither was Esau, he appears to be to impulsive and uncaring about what happens to be worried about spirituality.

• 3 weeks later...

Rebekah was indeed a spiritual woman because when she encountered a problem she knew that God is the one who could give her right answers and hence enquired of God.

Isaac too was a spiritual man because when the wife could not conceive he knew that God was the one who held the key to his future generations and hence prayed for his wife.

I think Rebekah was more spiritually sensitive because she believed God even though what God was saying was out of the ordinary.

Jacob besides knowing he was the youngest believed what his mother told him concerning God's utterances and hence looked for every opportunity to actualize that in his life. He was very bold as to ask his brother for the birthright in exchange for a meal.

Esau on the other hand is only interested in instant gratification and shows no regard to his birthright no foresight.

• 1 year later...

Quote;

Well, what does the scripture say: Rebecca prayed, Isaac prayed more, neither Esau nor Jacob prayed (not that we're aware of anyways). Rebecca encouraged Jacob to "deceive" her husband, a husband God blessed...which she knew about. Jacob acted in beguiling ways tricking Esau...Jacob knew Esau's flaw was self gratification. Nothing is mentioned one way or another whether Issac condoned Jacob for his behavior; we do know, however, that Issac tried to make extra sure that heblessed the right son. So, yes I'd say Issac, though flawed, was a spiritual man trying to follow God's will. Rebecca? The evidence did suggest that she was more like Jacob...relying upon herself to make sure she got what she wanted, instead of going to God for help. (Not unlike myself sometimes, trying to fix my own problems without consulting and relying upon God...and you know what, I am a Christ filled spiritual person. Sometimes I just do the wrong things...so...I guess at those times I am just human, not always spiritually filled.) As for Esau...he cast his whole God given destiny away for a cheap meal. No, I'd say he is not a spiritual person. Was Jacob spiritual...there is no evidence to suggest this.

Quote;

Well, what does the scripture say: Rebecca prayed, Isaac prayed more, neither Esau nor Jacob prayed (not that we're aware of anyways). Rebecca encouraged Jacob to "deceive" her husband, a husband God blessed...which she knew about. Jacob acted in beguiling ways tricking Esau...Jacob knew Esau's flaw was self gratification. Nothing is mentioned one way or another whether Issac condoned Jacob for his behavior; we do know, however, that Issac tried to make extra sure that heblessed the right son. So, yes I'd say Issac, though flawed, was a spiritual man trying to follow God's will. Rebecca? The evidence did suggest that she was more like Jacob...relying upon herself to make sure she got what she wanted, instead of going to God for help. (Not unlike myself sometimes, trying to fix my own problems without consulting and relying upon God...and you know what, I am a Christ filled spiritual person. Sometimes I just do the wrong things...so...I guess at those times I am just human, not always spiritually filled.) As for Esau...he cast his whole God given destiny away for a cheap meal. No, I'd say he is not a spiritual person. Was Jacob spiritual...there is no evidence to suggest this.

• 5 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Q2. Was Rebekah a spiritual woman, that is, interested in spiritual things?

Was Isaac a spiritual man?

Which do you think was the more spiritually sensitive?

What evidence of spirituality do you see in Jacob? In Esau?

These questions have sure opened a proverbial can of worms.

From what we read up to this part of the story, which does not reveal very much, we know that Isaac was the child of promise.  When Sarai did not conceive and she tried helping God , Ishmael was born.   In spite of this God honored His promise and when both Abraham and Sarah were well advanced in years, Isaac was born.  More children were born to Abraham after Sarah died.  We read that Abraham had children with Keturah.   Abraham did make sure his other children were cared for but sent them away so there would be no trouble with Isaac being the next leader of his tribe/people.  

This is the background Isaac grew up in.  

We only know that Rebekah was family of Abraham and Sarah and that she did not hesitate to leave her family behind to go with Abraham's servant to be wife to a man she had never met, viz., Isaac. 

We do read that Isaac prayed much to the Lord for his wife, who was  barren for many years.   

She fell pregnant. Then she in turn inquired of the Lord because there seemed a big struggle inside her. She also heard the Lord answer her.  The founders of two nations were in her womb. The older would serve the younger.   

Esau and Jacob already struggled in the womb.  Esau was born first and Jacob held onto his heel. So the births were in quick succession.  As growing lads we read that Esau was a cunning and skilled hunter.  A man of the outdoors.   Isaac was partial to Esau.  (He ate of his game) Jacob in turn was plain and quiet, dwelling in the tents.  Rebekah loved Jacob. 

After this we are given some more background of Isaac. He hearkened to God's voice and did not go down to Egypt. He seemed to be a peace loving man and did not want confrontation. Rather moving on.  I do believe that he was  a spiritual man. He also did, as his father before him, pretend that Rebekah was not his wife.

Of the boys at this stage we find that Esau despised his birthright. which is definitely not spiritual.  We find Jacob conniving to get the birthright from Esau by offering him food in exchange for it.  This too is not very spiritual.  Things do change at a later stage, but a big feud is started.

Of the two, Jacob was more spiritually sensitive at this stage for he yearned to receive the blessing God had promised for the firstborn.