JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. An Interest in Spiritual Things

Q2. Was Rebekah a spiritual woman, that is, interested in spiritual things? Was Isaac a spiritual man? Which do you think was the more spiritually sensitive? What evidence of spirituality do you see in Jacob? In Esau?

[/quote

I don't see Rebekah as a spiritual woman. But I do see her as an opportunist who displayed parental favoritism that hurt her family. She showed more initiative than Godly wisdom; played favorites with her sons; and deceived her husband. The followers of God are guided by his Word not by selfish ambition.

Issac did not have the relationship with God that Abraham did. I don't see Isaac as that spiritual either. He seems to have been a caring and consistent husband, at least until his sons were born. He also played favorites between his sons and alienated his wife. Additionally, he was a deceiver and liar. I don't see Godly leadership or wisdom in his example. However, I believe Isaac was the more spiritual of the two. He did plead to God on Rebekah's behalf to have a child. That does show that Isaac believed God could bless Rebekah with a child. He had some spirituality.

I see no spiritual evidence in Esau's life as recorded in scripture. Jacob did struggle and wrestle with God and came to have a personal relationship with God.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Rebekaah was a spiritual woman. She prayed and asked God about what was going on inside of her during her pregnancy and God revealed to her that two nations were within her.

Issac was a spiritual man because he prayed for his wife that she would become pregnant and his prayer was answered.

Jacob stayed around his mother and understood his destiny. He realized the importance of the birthright.

Esau was spiritual in that he knew a blessing was involved and he did ask to be blessed but he lacked what so many of us lack or lacked at one time and that is patience.

rebekah was a godly woman. she had a caring heart. as a person,this goes for anyone, one of the greatest investments we cna make is having a godly character. this is what opened the door to rebekah's destiny. simply put, she allowed the aLove of God to shape her life. however, life is full of choices and rebekah is no different than the rest of us. throughout the course of her life she made some not so good ones. children need to know that they are loved equally. favoritism never results in the good for all. i think the message i get from researching this particular question is that the closer i ma to God the better chance i have of making right choices.

i view isaac as a godly man. isaac and rebekah seriously waited patiently and diligently prayed for children. Maybe they prayed together, maybe not, but as time went on and discouragement set in isaac did take it upon himself to pray more aggressively. the thing we all need to remember is that all human's have weaknesses. in the end it was isaac's obedience to God that brought God's will for his life. Isaac's life is a true lesson the improtance of obedience. we know this because the principle of reaping what you sow is still with us today.

as for who is more spritual? who am i to judge that. i know the bible portrays isaac's sentuality as going from a seed to a driving force. surely it was no doubt a dysfunctional family, but we all have a fair amount of dysfunction in our lives. i think the lesson to be learned is that two wrongs never make a right. it also shows us that despite how much it hurts God always keeps his word.

i will post my thoughts on jacob and esau's spirituality later.

Q2. Was Rebekah a spiritual woman, that is, interested in spiritual things? Was Isaac a spiritual man? Which do you think was the more spiritually sensitive? What evidence of spirituality do you see in Jacob? In Esau?

I think the true meaning of the story of jacob and esau is a story about the duel nature of fallen man. esau represents the physical part which is a slave to the senses of our physical body. we are all slaves to our bodies each and every day. jacob represents the spiritual man which is hte ruler of the body, however rare that may be.

the thing we need to realize is tha t God is unconditional love. so, jacob? isaac? who's to say who is more spiritual. What i do know is that God's unconditional love says he loves them boht equally. you know, there's a little esau and jacob in all of us, but nonetheless, God loves us anyway. so dig deeper... and watch the world around you change. the real surprise is when you figure out the real change will be you!

the story of jacob and esau is a story oabout the duel nature of fallen man. esau represents the physical part that is a slave to the senses of our physical body. we are all a slave to our bodies each and every day.

jacob represents the spiritual man which is the ruler of the body. however rare that might be.

the thing we all need to realize is that God is unconditional love. so, jacob? esau? ...who's to say who is more spiritual. What i do know is that God's unconditional love says he loves them both equally. maybe what we need to realize is that there is a little esau and jacob in all of us, but in spite of it all God loves us anyway. so, dig deeper and watch the world around you change. in the end you will be surprised to learn that change will be you!

Yes indeed i beleve she was. How could she not of been, knowing that she was unable to have children, yet all the while her determined faith led her to her greatest reward being the obedient child and receiving what was promised to her in a big wa!! Isaac was also very spiritual. He knew God in a very personal way and as that relationship evolved with his Creator he gained more understanding of his purpose his growth spiritually and how the two would lead him to great prosperity. Jacob and Esau both were very spiritual I just think that were different in character different in the way that they obtained their spirituality. To site from the word: Gen 32:9-12 Jacob meets his brother for the first time in years and feared he would kill him due to Jacob taking his birthright, but to the contrary Esau accepted Jacob with open arms Gen 33:4! Oh how all things come to gether to them that love the Lord!1

Yes Rebekah and Isaac were spiritual. I do not see evidence of spirituality in Jacob or Esau at this time.

Q2. Was Rebekah a spiritual woman, that is, interested in spiritual things?

Yes I believe that Rebekah was a spiritual woman and had to be spiritually minded to volunteer to go so far to be with Jacob.

Was Isaac a spiritual man?

Yes I believe that Isaac was a spiritual man as well and even when he saw that Rebekah was barren he cried out to the Lord for her and the Lord heard his prayer and Rebekah conceived twins.

Which do you think was the more spiritually sensitive?

I feel like Rebekah was more sensitive about her spirituality than Isaac for she struggled with the Lord on what was going on inside of her and hearkened unto the Lord and always pondered on what the Lord had shown her.

What evidence of spirituality do you see in Jacob?

Jacob has a meek spirit and is willing to wait out his fate in life, patient and not to anxious.

Esau?

Esau is all about his self and now without any patience, therefore not putting any trust in the Lord.

I would have to say she was. Chapter 25.23-24 describes he prayer to Jehovah and the message she received: the older shall serve the younger and she carried 2 nations. Issac was also a spiritual man evidenced by his seeking answers to his concerns from Jehovah. Based on his history, Issac is the more spiritual. Jacob's spirituality was handed down from his grandfather and father. His spirituality evolved from them. On the other hand, Esau went against God and his father when he took to wife a Cannanite women.

I do not think any of these people acted in a spiritual way.

Rebekah was trying to fulfil the prophecy that she was given. God had told Rebekah Jacob was to lead the family; she took things into her own hands. She did not remind Isaac about the prophecy, instead went about to deceive him. I do not believe Rebekah was a spiritual woman concerning this situation. If she had waited on God and asked what to do in this situation the whole circumstance would have turned out differently. Rebekahs actions had caused Jacob to live away from his family and to live a life where others began to deceive him.

I do not see Isaac as a spiritual man either. Isaac would have known about the Lords prophecy that was given to Rebekah. So he should have asked the Lord what was his position in fulfilling the prophecy that was given to Rebekah.

I do not see either Esau or Jacob as being spiritual. Esau would not have sold his birthright and Jacob would have never put his brother in the position to give way his birthright, both of them would have loved each other and wanted the best for each other. I also believe to be a spiritual person one needs to be asking the Lord about a situation rather than acting on our own thoughts, how we feel and imaginations.

I personaly see a spiritual person is a person that seeks Gods heart.

Actually, I think both Isaac and Rebekah were sensitive to spiritual things. Isaac knew God's promises, but possibly as he aged he was not as sharp. He had heard the prophesy about the twins. He should have been obedient. Rebekah prayed fervently about the struggle within her womb. She just took matters into her own hands, instead of letting God work out His plan. Am I not often that way? Impatient to wait on God to lead. Both Isaac and Jacob had a long way to go to be sensitive to spiritual things. Do not know if Esau ever came to that point, except Jacob exclaimed upon seeing Esau after 20 years , "to see your face is like seeing the face of God." Esau and Jacob were changed. Thank you for this study. It is very well done.

Rebekah was, in a way, a spiritual woman. When she felt her babies jostling in her womb, she checked with God what was happening. Also, she took the Lord's answer seriously - she did not forget it even when her sons had grown up. Later she was instrumental in helping Jacob deceive Esau. How she helped Jacob was not at all spiritual.

Isaac was a spiritual man. He prayed for Rebekah when she was barren. The Lord answered his prayers.

He blessed his sons - he wanted to impart spiritual values on his sons.

The question here is who is more spiritually SENSITIVE, not more spiritual. I struggle with the fact that Isaac was NOT spiritually sensitive enough to discern that he was blessing the wrong son! Then again, I have to recognise that he was blind and very old. I dont think I can say that rebekah is spiritually sensitive. If she were, she would not resort to such an underhanded way to deceive her own husband, help Jacob steal from Esau and cause a rift between the 2 brothers. She remembered the prophecy over her sons but like her mother in law, Sarah, she felt she "had to help God".

Jacob understood the spiritual blessings attached to the birthright. He valued the prophecy that was spoken over his life. That was the evidence of Jacob's spirituality. Esau on the other hand was confused. At first, he despised his birthright and he sold it. When he found out he has lost it, he became devastated and he begged his father for another blessing. By asking for another blessing showed a hint of spirituality in Esau.

Was Rebekah a spiritual woman, that is, interested in spiritual things? Rebekah was a spiritual woman as she went to God about her pregnancy with the twins jostling inside of her and He spoke to her.

Was Isaac a spiritual man? Yes he was. He also was concerned about others as he did pray for his wife and his prayers were answered.

Which do you think was the more spiritually sensitive? I believe Isaac may have been for he never gave up on God with his prayers to have his wife give him a son. Rebeka appears to be more depressed as she was barren and felt a disgrace for not being able to have children and I do not see where she prayed herself for a pregnancy.

What evidence of spirituality do you see in Jacob? His ability to wait.

In Esau? None, as he despised his birthrite.

The Bible supports the fact that Rebekah was a spiritual woman, because it says she inquired of the Lord why the twins within her moved around so much. Isaac is also proven to be spiritual, because he seeked the Lord on behalf of his wife when she couldn't conceive. It is hard for me to say who was more sensitive spiritually; I want to say Isaac, since his father Abraham was who God revealed Himself to; Isaac was probably brought up in the ways of God, and I believe God may have had more favor on Him, making him more sensitive to the Spirit, or spiritual matters, since he was the child of promise and the one whose line salvation, through the Messiah, would come through. The only spirituality I see in Jacob at this time is that he sees the significance of the birthright, which can be seen as a spiritual blessing; however, we see that he also has a fleshly side, because he stoops to manipulation to get what he wants; Esau isn't really that spiritual; he sacrifices the spiritual to satisfy the temporal appetites of the flesh.

Rebekah was a spiritual woman because she inquired of the Lord when the babies in her womb were fighting one another. The Lord replied that the babies represented two nations and the older one would serve the younger one.

Isaac was a spiritual man because he prayed on behave of his wife when she was barren. He knew how important it was for Rebekah to produce an heir.

Between Isaac and Rebekah it is hard for me to tell which is more spiritually sensitive. I think they are both about equal.

At this point in time,I don't see any evidence of spirituality in either Jacob or Esau. Esau was willing to trade away the blessings of his spiritual birthright for a temporary meal. The fact that Jacob told Esau he would sell his brother a bowl of stew for the birthright,tells how important Jacob knew the birthright was. However,Jacob wasn't acting out of brotherly love. He could have just as easily offered Esau a bowl of stew with no strings attached. Jacob should have had compassion on his brother who had just come from hunting exhausted and famished by offering him some stew,not selling it.

Hi all! most has already been said, I do find it interesting to see that though the charactors being discussed had imperfections just like us; God was able to use them for his Kingdom. So often our inadequacies hinder what we could be doing for God. Over what is it? 6,000 odd years our personalities havent changed much, thanks be to Christ for Salvation by Grace through Faith! Lets hold our birth right through Jesus firmly and not look back

Rebakah was quite spiritual; when the babies 'fought' in here stomach, she prayed to understand what was happening. she later counseled Jacob to fulfill the prophecy she had been told of. Jacob was an opportunist, and Esau was foolish and weak, and he was immoral and Godless according to Hebrews. It seems impossible he could give up something so important for short term hunger desire; was he tricked by the devil?

I hate to look back at my life and think of moments when i was like Esau, so ready to obtain earthly things with no concern whether there was a God or not. I was so "smart" on my own, Thank goodness that God found me and brought me back into his flock. We are all sinners and should be careful before we judge Esau ourselves; as Jesus said, let he who has not sinned cast the first stone.

I love the fact that Rebekah went to God for enlightenment over the twins, did she go too far and encourage Jacob's discontent?

I also find it interesting that Isaac followed his dad - Abraham -'s example and lied about Rebekah to protect himself.

Esau was Isaac's favourite and Jacob's Rebekah's, what sort of problems did that cause?

It is not for us to judge whether any of them were spiritual, based on fruit of the Spirit, like us all there is some evidence, but none of it very convincing.

• 2 weeks later...

No doubt, Rebekah was a spiritual woman because she seeked God. Otherwise, I believe her inability to give Jacob a son would have drove her to seek other worldview means, i.e., baal, to reproduce.

Isaac was a holy man; He knew God and was obiedent to Him. In addition, I believe Jacob was predominatly closer to God, as he constantly and unquestionably obeyed God.

I THINK BOTH PARENTS WERE INTERESTED IN SPIRITUAL THINGS, HOWEVER, BEING HUMAN BEINGS LIKE US, THEY BOTH MADE MISTAKES.I'M NOT SURE IF EITHER ONE WAS MORE SPIRITUALLY SENSITIVE THAN THE OTHER.ESAU SEEMS TO BE VERY UNSPIRITUAL AT THIS POINT AND JACOB UNDERSTOOD THE POWER OF THE BLESSING AND THE BIRTHRIGHT, AND GOT IT FROM ESAU. HOWEVER I DONT THINK THAT MEANS HE WAS MORE SPIRITUAL BUT RATHER A MANIPULATOR AND DECEIVER.

Yes, I believe that both Isaac and Rebekah were spiritual people who werfe aware of God's purpose and plans and were waiting for their fulfillment. However, I feel that Rebekah lacked patience and possibly even faith in God thereby not knowing how to wait on God and allow Him to manifest His purpose and plan. . . Isaac, on the other hand seems to have places more emphasis on the customs and traditions of his time than on God purpose and plan. . .

EVIDENCE OF SPIRITUALITY:

JACOB - I feel that Jacob had a very good knowledge of who God is as well as some knowledge of God's will and plan for his life - however, he seemed to have an attitude that if it should happen so-be-it - and should it not happen, maybe I can help it o come to pass. . .

ESAU - I feel that he also had an understanding of who God is and some idea of God's purpose and plan for his life - however, i think he felt that his way of getting thongs done were as good as God's ways so what God wanted didn't take any presidence in his life.

B)

• 3 weeks later...

Though Rebekah is from a pagan nation, she seems to have regarded the faith of her husband. This is evidenced by her ability to hear God when He speaks to her. She believes her vision is sent by God and shares it with her son. Isaac prays for his wife; what a wonderful example of how we were taught to be. I see evidence of spirituality in Jacob as he understands the significance of a blessing and Esau eventually is brought to repentence for his actions.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, I think Rebekah was interested in spiritual things. I think she was strong in faith and had courage. When the twins were born, she changed. She remembered God's prophecy about Esau and Jacob. She took manners into her own hands. She became deceitful, lack of reverence and respect to her husband and his leadership, and she showed favoritism concerning her sons.That brought rivalry, deceit, and contention. Her faith faltered. Yes,I think Isaac was a spiritual man. No, I don't think Esayu was very spiritual. Yes, Jacob was because he drew nigh to God, his name was changed to Israel, he struggled with God but obeyed.He became the father of the twelve tribes of Israel.