JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q6. The School Character Improvement

Jacob's character flaws remind me of myself than Esau, Isaac, or Rebekah - in that I feel i have a pretty good knowledge of what God's will, purpose, and plan is for my life - yet I lack the contentment or patience to endure in all things not knowing or accepting that everything that happens in my life is necessary to fulfill God's plan - or permit God to work His plan out and bring it to pass in my life. . . At times I have even found myself somewhat resistent to the circumstances or situations that I faced - not wanting to believe that such was necessary for the plan of God to develop anything good in my life. . .Like Jacob, I've thought that I had a better plan - or that there was certainly a better way that God could work things out. . Romans 5:3-5 (NLT)

3 We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance.

4 And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation.

5 And this hope will not lead to disappointment. For we know how dearly God loves us, because he has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with his love.

I honestly don't know what God is doing to improve my character. . . I know the things that I am doing with the hope that it improves my character - being faithful to the Word of God - reading and studying the Word - meditating in the Word - praying in agreement with the Word - and doing all I know to walk in agreement with the Word. . . I would like to think that everything that happens in my life God's allows or permits to make improvements in my life - but in actuality I know that a great deal of what happens in my life is as a result of decisions or choices I've made - and even in that God finds a way to improve my character. . .

Romans 8:26-31 (KJV)

26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

31 What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?

James 1:2-8 (KJV)

2 My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;

3 Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.

4 But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.

5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.

7 For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord.

8 A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.

B)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q6. Extra Credit. Whose character flaws most remind you of your own? Isaac's, Rebekah's, Esau's, or Jacob's? Why? How is God working to improve your character?

I have been guilty of believing God has sent me to a place with a purpose. I am happy believing this, for awhile. I become discontented before God brings the purpose to full measure. I begin trying to 'fit things' to go in accordance to what I think should come to pass. I fall flat on my face. God's mercy is endless. He does not leave me or forsake me. He can still use me, inspite of myself.

• 1 year later...

Q6. Extra Credit. Whose character flaws most remind you of your own? Isaac's, Rebekah's, Esau's, or Jacob's? Why? How is God working to improve your character?

I'd have to say Esau. The reason being that in this day and age we can get things instantly and don't have to wait long for fast food, entertainment, and many other things we think make us happy. I need to learn Jacob's patience, if not his way of going about achieving his ends. God is showing me that He's in charge and that planning and scheming on my part is largely useless.

• 4 months later...

To be honest, I kind of relate to Esau - When I first read the story, by heart started to hurt for him because he wanted his father's blessing so bad. Sure he messed up, but he wanted his fathers blessing and he got want was left. Am sure he felt rejected and hurt. Also, Esau reacts out of his hurt and wants to hurt his father as much as his father hurt him so he rebels against his father to own hurt. He feels unworthy of his father's best and do not see afar off.

God is helping me see him different than how I see my earthly father and that he still loves me even when I mess up. God is helping me to see my real worth. It's a challenge; I must say. Not for God, but for me it's hard to wrap my head around the Father's love for me. But thank God he promised never to leave me or forsake me through it all.

• 3 months later...

a)Maybe a bit of each. I need reminding that God will enable his plans to be fulfilled in his timing,when I am impatient like Rebekah for answers. Also if gulable at times, like Isaac, and probably have done some things more guided by self or parents like Jacob, rather than being told by God.

B)I seek stay tuned into God His Word and being more open to the Spirit’s prompting, confessing mistakes,learning from them,and going forward with Jesus.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I think I am more like Rebekah who tends to help God instead of leaving all to his doing. God though is working on me to be patient and wait for his timing because I have learnt that no matter what I do if its not in accordance with his will it will come to nothing. A lot of mistakes can happen and do happen when we help God to expedite the implementation of his will in our lives or those of our beloveds.

• 1 year later...

All of them, I've shown favoritism, I've been selfish and did what I wanted to get what God promised, I didn't take God serious and understand what I had, and I deceived to get what I want.

Right now, I'm finding more of Jacob. I've been wrestling with God about His will and my wants. I'm also wrestling with who He is and what that means. I'm growing and still letting fear and the past hinder me.

I'm now in a place where I have to rely on God and let Him love me. For so long I've never understood what that love meant. He's teaching me that now.

All of them, I've shown favoritism, I've been selfish and did what I wanted to get what God promised, I didn't take God serious and understand what I had, and I deceived to get what I want.

Right now, I'm finding more of Jacob. I've been wrestling with God about His will and my wants. I'm also wrestling with who He is and what that means. I'm growing and still letting fear and the past hinder me.

I'm now in a place where I have to rely on God and let Him love me. For so long I've never understood what that love meant. He's teaching me that now.

• 6 years later...

Q6.  Whose character flaws most remind you of your own? Isaac's, Rebekah's, Esau's, or Jacob's? Why? How is God working to improve your character?

When I read that question first, I really thought   .   .   .    That's just too much    .   .   .   

Having given it some thought, I understand a bit better and I see something from each of them rearing its head. 

I do not like confrontation anymore and will sooner walk away than stand up for myself, just as Isaac did.  In one way that is keeping the peace and in another way it is others that are also loosing out because of my actions.  Just like Rebekah found it hard to wait and see how God would bring about His promise, I also find it hard to sometimes just wait as He is in control and will bring about what He has promised, in His way and in His time.  That was interesting what was mentioned about Esau having disregard for his birthright, I have shown disregard for my body, which is the temple of the Holy Spirit.  So there also I have been like him in a despicable way.   

God's still working on me

To make me what I ought to be

It took Him just a week to make the moon and stars,

the sun and the earth and Jupiter and Mars

How loving and patient He must be,

He's still working on me.