JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Jacob's Ladder

This dream of angels ascending and descending was a dream that signified to Jacob that he was in the very presence of God and that he had arrived at a place wherein God could and would work His will and purpose in his life. . .

God's blessings to Jacob meant that just as his father and grandfather out their trust and dependance in God - he could do the same thing. which in turn meant that there was no need for him (Jacob) trying to work things out for himself or on his own - he could look to God He could trust in God and depend on Him to fulfill His purpose and plan in his life. . .

I feel that all that took place in Jacob's life while on this journey strengthened his knowledge and awareness of the true and living God - the God of his father and grandfather - and as a result manifested some spiritual changes in Jacob. . .

B)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

2a) The dream signified God’s presence with him,his blessing &prophecy on his life uninitiated &direct from God,unlike his birthright &blessing from Isaac Promises of lan,descendents. It also promises him that God will be with him wherever he goes.

B)It meant to Jacob that he would never be the same.He was changed.

C)From this point on God is the One he lives for,he was converted, given a glimpse of the awesome nature of God,being everywhere,at gate of heaven &God’s infinite greatness. He knew the Lord was there in that humble place.He knew the role God had for him.

• 11 months later...

When Jacob dreamed of the angels ascending and descending from heaven he thought that it was the stairway to heaven and that Lord was surely in that place.

God’s blessing just reaffirmed Isaac’s blessing but God put in a personal blessing also. This was a conversion experience for him because God had blessed him and made things personal for him.

• 2 years later...

Quote;

I love that after receiving the covenant blessing, Jacob sets off to travel to go to Laban, his relative and stops for his rest near the place that Abraham (Abram) had God appear to him also as he set out with Sarai and Lot for the land of Canaan. Abraham himself had built an altar there (Genesis 12) and as Jacob came to this holy place, though probably unaware of the significance,(Genesis 28 vs. 16) he stopped to rest there and also like Abraham had an encounter with God there. I see this as a confirmation from God of His purposes for Jacob's life and his will for the covenant to be through Jacob. Everything parallels the same experience and covenant blessing given to Abraham. God assured Jacob in the dream that He is the God of Abraham and the God of Isaac and then God Himself gives Jacob the "covenant" blessing. Assuring him, he would never leave him until the promise was secured. Jacob was afraid and in awe at all he has seen and experienced and calls the place the Gate of Heaven, The House of God. He saw the angels ascending and descending as symbolic of that gateway from the Heavens to Earth. This is a time of conversion for Jacob as he vows to God, "If God will be with me and will watch over me on this journey I am taking and will give me food to eat and clothes to wear, so I return safely to my father's house, then the Lord will be my God and this stone that I have set up as a pillar will be God's house, and all that you give me I will give you a tenth." Jacob is tenatively choosing God also and setting out on the journey with Him.

Quote;

I love that after receiving the covenant blessing, Jacob sets off to travel to go to Laban, his relative and stops for his rest near the place that Abraham (Abram) had God appear to him also as he set out with Sarai and Lot for the land of Canaan. Abraham himself had built an altar there (Genesis 12) and as Jacob came to this holy place, though probably unaware of the significance,(Genesis 28 vs. 16) he stopped to rest there and also like Abraham had an encounter with God there. I see this as a confirmation from God of His purposes for Jacob's life and his will for the covenant to be through Jacob. Everything parallels the same experience and covenant blessing given to Abraham. God assured Jacob in the dream that He is the God of Abraham and the God of Isaac and then God Himself gives Jacob the "covenant" blessing. Assuring him, he would never leave him until the promise was secured. Jacob was afraid and in awe at all he has seen and experienced and calls the place the Gate of Heaven, The House of God. He saw the angels ascending and descending as symbolic of that gateway from the Heavens to Earth. This is a time of conversion for Jacob as he vows to God, "If God will be with me and will watch over me on this journey I am taking and will give me food to eat and clothes to wear, so I return safely to my father's house, then the Lord will be my God and this stone that I have set up as a pillar will be God's house, and all that you give me I will give you a tenth." Jacob is tenatively choosing God also and setting out on the journey with Him.

• 6 years later...

Q2. (Genesis 28:12-15)

What did Jacob's dream of the angels ascending and descending from heaven signify to Jacob?

What did God's blessing mean to him?

In what way was this a conversion experience for him?

To Jacob it meant that he was not alone.  God was with him. The God of  Abraham and Isaac.  His angels were there to serve and guard him.  

God's blessing assured him that God would not forsake him, but He would be with him and protect him and would eventually bring him back.

God also confirmed the Covenant blessing with him, which he had made with Abraham and Isaac.