JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. False and Deceptive Philosophy

The first church I went to as a new Christian teenager was very conservative and legalistic. I was taught--and very much believed--that being a Christian had to do with following the right politics, slamming certain groups of people (including women), listening to only Christian music (except for the Beach Boys, since the pastor liked them and deemed them acceptable), and dressing a certain way. As a result, many of the youth in the church had no real foundation in Christ and struggled with sins in private until they were "found out" and had to stand up in front of everyone to make a confession. I was a new Christian, young and impressionable, and it was almost impossible for me to distinguish following Christ from following a subculture. By the grace of God, once I got to college I joined a fellowship that taught what it really meant to be a Christian, and from there, I slowly but surely started to understand what a relationship with God really meant.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Colossians 2:8) Philosophy refers to a prevailing belief system. How can a belief system be empty and false? Have you ever personally experienced being captivated by a belief system only to find it deceptive and hollow?

Col 2:8 See to it that no one enslaves you through philosophy and empty deceit according to human tradition, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ.

Belief systems are based on traditions and many times lies from the enemy therefore erasing or hiding the Truth that has been given us. I myself have fought hard to overcome some of the belief systems that were given to me from an early age. Without the presence and help of the Lord I would be still lost. In my lifetime I have been fooled by everything from Scientology to the occult...each hiding the dark side with promises of power...all deadly lies

• 2 months later...

Q1. (Colossians 2:8) Philosophy refers to a prevailing belief system. How can a belief system be empty and false? Have you ever personally experienced being captivated by a belief system only to find it deceptive and hollow?

Any philosophy or belief system which is not base on the truth of Jesus Christ is false. Many philosophies abound in this world. But there is only one TRUTH, it is not of this world,or created by any 'great minds' of this world, it is hidden in the mysteries of knowing and loving God, through Jesus Christ.

Yes, being a baby boomer, and a product of the "60s" generation I was drawn into the so called "Hippie" movement and the Womans Liberation Movement, the sexual revolution, the "drugs, sex, and rock and roll age". It was totally destructive to my life and today I still suffer consequences from my involvement in these movements, it not only reeked havoc on my personal life and my soul, but tore apart my family, my children, and led to years of self destructive behavior.

Thanks to the saving grace of Jesus Christ I have been redeemed. THANK YOU JESUS! I'm of a most grateful and thankful heart to you my Savior! My Thankfulness overflows to you everyday, many times during the day I thank you for rescuing me from a life of destruction! I can't express my gratitude,it is so immense

and so deep.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

​All belief systems are based upon assumptions. Stoicism is based upon the belief in an indifference to pleasure or pain.   Gnosticism believes  that  the  soul can transcend material existence by means of esoteric knowledge. The scientific world believes in the power of experiment. If the basis of the system is invalid than the belief system  is invalid. If  a belief system be empty and false than the system is empty and false.

Yes, I was captivated with the stem of logic and experiment of the scientific world. It is empty and hollow! Compare all of the above to:  For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form,  and you have been given fullness in Christ, who is the head over every power and authority."  (2:9-10)