JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

What did Simeon's and Anna's righteousness, devotion, and praise have to do with their sensitivity to the Holy Spirit's voice?

Righteousness ... to be honest to yourself and to God expells darkness and wickedness (the antynom of righteousness). In the absence of wickedness evil can't get any stronghold and perhaps therefore Simeon and Anna could hear the Holy Spirit's voice in their hearts. Being deaf to evil makes one to hear the Righteous one?

Devotion ... where your heart is your treasure will be. In devoting so much of themselves to God, they probably seeked to know how they could be more for their King - God promises to share his plans with us if we ask for His will and this clearly happened to Simeon (and Anna)!

Praise ... God inhabits the praises of his people! Where there is praise in Spirit and in truth, God is.

I think they were "tuned in" - they wanted to hear, they loved God with all their heart, mind, strength, they obeyed, they praised Him! Spending time in His presence gives Him the opportunity to reveal Himself!

What are some of the reasons that we can't hear God?

We refuse to believe God - we hear but we don't believe that we hear. That is certainly true for me ... I am so busy trying to be humble that it is totally perverted and I don't give God the chance to finish His message. "No God, it can't be for me ... I'm not worth it ... blah blah blah ..." (We are subborn!)

We don't spend enough time praising (real praise!) Him ... we don't enter the holy of holies; we get stuck in the outer court with our own agendas and don't push through the torn curtain (Jesus) to spend time in God's cloud (His presence). We get up and leave too soon!!!

We aren't really righteous ... we compromise, we sin, we incline our ears towards the wrong source!

We are unaware of our real identity in Christ. We forget that Christ is already living IN us through the Holy Spirit - we want somthing from outside to happen and it's already on the INside!

There is also little devotion ... too busy with self (and self created idols) to submit everything to Him and serve Him in and through EVERYTHING we have, is, say, do ...

May we learn from Simeon and Anna and be sensitive to the Holy Spririt ALREADY dwelling within us!!!

They both had dedicated their lives to the Lord and showed this by their actions and words. God blessed them with a special outpouring of the Holy Spirit. It wasn't neccesarily because they had "earned" it by their actions, but God chose them. They recogonized His voice when He spoke to Him and had faith in the revelations that they were given. One reason we may not be able to hear God is simply the amount of time we spend with Him. If you don't spend time talking and listening to someone a lot you don't necessarily recognize their voice when they call you. I know good friends that I can instantly recognize when I hear them on the phone--but more distant acquaintances I'll mistake for someone else. I feel convicted myself here-- the amount of time I spend thinking about God, studying His word and praying to Him is far too little.

• 1 month later...

I believe that their faith was the major reason. They had faith that our God will come true for them, they were obedients servants and patiently waited for the fullfilment of God's promises. Today many believers are not faithfull enough and patient enough to listen to the Holy Spirit, many times we are so narrowminded in our little things that we miss the big picture, many times we are so concentrated in our own ministries that we don't have time to listen to God and to hear the Holy Spirit trying to help and teach us.

• 2 weeks later...

They spent their time in the temple and in praise and worship. Often we cannot hear God because we devote so little time to actually listening to him or to the Holy Spirit. Maybe a few minutes at night when we are tired and have a hard time keeping our mind and spirit on Him.

• 2 months later...

3. What did Simeon's and Anna's righteousness, devotion, and praise have to do with their sensitivity to the Holy Spirit's voice?

Surely, it is through Simeon and Anna

• 7 months later...

They showed their dedication to God by being obedient and believing in his words.

The reason why we do not hear God's voice is because we either are too preoccupied with other thoughts and sometimes ignoring the word of God and ignoring the Spirit. We as human beings get to rapped up in worldly situation and things that we just totally ignore God and God is a jealous God, therefore, he is unpleased when we do such things.

• 4 years later...
  • 3 months later...

They were open to God, they were able to hear the Holy spirit. We have problems listening to The Holy spirit, because we do not listen properly,our minds are so full of other things. We must quiten ourselves when we Pray, keep our minds empty of worldly things.and learn to listen.

Their minds were both Open to God, They were faithful to his word,They Listened and was in tune with The Holy Spirit.

Our problems are that that we fill our minds with earthly things, We must be quite,and clear our minds of all our worries and open our minds be quite and listen.

• 2 years later...

Q3. What did Simeon's and Anna's righteousness, devotion, and praise have to do with their sensitivity to the Holy Spirit's voice?{/b}

Their righteousness, devotion, and praise to God kept them sensitive to the Holy Spirit's voice which kept them in the place where God's promise was revealed.

{b}What are some of the reasons that we can't hear God?

Some of the reason we can't hear from God is lack of righteousness, devotion, and praise to God. We're caught up in things of non eternal value and ignoring those things that brings us close to God.

• 7 years later...
On 11/30/2002 at 10:40 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

3. What did Simeon's and Anna's righteousness, devotion, and praise have to do with their sensitivity to the Holy Spirit's voice? What are some of the reasons that we can't hear God?

They were listening to the Holy Ghost and the Spirit led them to Christ.  Simeon was led by the Spirit into the temple.  Also it was revealed by the Holy Ghost that he would not see death until he saw the Lord’s Christ.  We have busy lives and get to entangled in the cares of this world and aren’t quietly seeking God.   We have to worry about working, families, friends, and trying to not to sin while trying to hear God.  But rest assured, when God wants to get your attention He will find a way to speak to you.  He brings a man to his knees trembling, confessing his sins and trying to reason with the Supreme Being.

• 6 months later...

Q3. What did Simeon's and Anna's righteousness, devotion, and praise have to do with their sensitivity to the Holy Spirit's voice?{/b}

Answer:  They put in the necessary time and devotion, with expectation, to hear the voice of God through prayer and fasting so that the Holy Spirit could have free reign to impart and download the TRUTH of God's word inclusive of His promises in their lives and in the lives of an entire nation.  When God says "Be still and know that I am God, He is essentially saying, in my opinion, stop what you're doing and sit down, I want to talk to you!"  

{b}What are some of the reasons that we can't hear God?

Answer: We won't hear God's voice if we continue to conjure up in our own minds our agendas and priorities which pale in comparison to the unique and specific plans HE has ordained for His children collectively, yet individually.  For example, you may have four children who all need new shoes; as a mom you will see to it that they all get new shoes.  However, each child has a different shoe size which is tailored just for them.  Once fitted, all children have been provided for but in a very specific way.  God IS very strategic, specific, right, and good ALL the time and all the time God IS Good!!!  "For I know the thoughts I think toward you sayeth the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expectant end." (Jeremiah 29:11.)

• 7 months later...
On 12/13/2003 at 10:49 AM, cct1106 said:

They showed their dedication to God by being obedient and believing in his words.

The reason why we do not hear God's voice is because we either are too preoccupied with other thoughts and sometimes ignoring the word of God and ignoring the Spirit. We as human beings get to rapped up in worldly situation and things that we just totally ignore God and God is a jealous God, therefore, he is unpleased when we do such things.

Okay, so what did their obedience and faith have to do with them being led (sensitivity) by the Spirit to this momentous occasion? Just curious...

On 11/30/2002 at 10:40 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

3. What did Simeon's and Anna's righteousness, devotion, and praise have to do with their sensitivity to the Holy Spirit's voice? What are some of the reasons that we can't hear God?

Maybe their righteousness, devotion and praise had something to do with their sesitivity, however I would like to give credit where credit is due. The Holy Spirit moved them to be in the right place at the right time to present their testimonies to Mary and Joseph.

I can't not hear God. He speaks loudly through his Word and even when I am being selfish, He speaks to me through the Holy Spirit he has given me. Now the question should be...Do I obey when I hear him? I plead the 5th.