JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. (Leviticus 1:3-9) In the burnt offering for an individual's sin: What is the significance of the offerer laying his hand on the animal's head? Why do you think the offerer is to slay the sacrifice rather than having the priest do it? How is the animal's blood significant in sacrifice? In what ways does Jesus' sacrifice on the cross fulfill all of this?

• 2 weeks later...

Q4. (Leviticus 1:3-9) In the burnt offering for an individuals sin: What is the significance of the offerer laying his hand on the animals head?

In the burnt offering for an individuals sin: the offerer laying his hand on the animals head signifies the offerer imparting his sins to the animal. In this God accepted the death of the animal as a substitute atonement for the individual's sins.

Why do you think the offerer is to slay the sacrifice rather than the priest?

I think the offerer is called to slay the sacrifice rather than the priest because it was the penalty of for the individual. Also, I believe to keep the purity of the priest as he carried out his responsibility.

How is the animal's blood significant in sacrifice?

The animal's blood is significant in sacrifice because it represents the atonement for one's life.

In what ways does Jesus sacrifice on the cross fulfill this?

Christ is the ultimate sacrifice. We have been redeemed "with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect" (1 Peter 1:19). Jesus sacrifice on the cross fulfill this as He bore the sins of the whole world once and for all.

Q4. (Leviticus 1:3-9) In the burnt offering for an individual's sin: What is the significance of the offerer laying his hand on the animal's head? Why do you think the offerer is to slay the sacrifice rather than having the priest do it? How is the animal's blood significant in sacrifice? In what ways does Jesus' sacrifice on the cross fulfill all of this?

Laying on of hands on the animal's head and confessing one's sins, symbolically imparts one's sins to the animal that God has accepted as a substitute. This is the basis of the concept of the Substitutionary Atonement. The sin offerer has to slay the animal himself as a reminder of the penalty for our sin and rebellion against God. There must be accountability. The blood is the life of the creature and it is significant because the blood has to be shed before there can a forgiveness of sins. Jesus shed His blood and died on the Cross as a sacrifice to atone for our sins.

Q4. (Leviticus 1:3-9) In the burnt offering for an individual's sin: What is the significance of the offerer laying his hand on the animal's head? It makes it a personal transfer of the offerer transferring his sin to the animal. A scapegoat.

Why do you think the offerer is to slay the sacrifice rather than having the priest do it? How is the animal's blood significant in sacrifice? Once again, to make it personal. To experience the ugly truth of the transfer. Memorable and messy; just like sin.

In what ways does Jesus' sacrifice on the cross fulfill all of this? The blood of Jesus. "For the life of a creature is in the blood, and I have given it to you to make atonement for yourselves on the altar; it is the blood that makes atonement for one's life." (Leviticus 17:11)

Praise God that we no longer need to offer live animal sacrifices. It is it is vulgar, crude, and cruel.

I am sitting here thinking what I would have done. I don't think I could have done it. As one who is rarely given to disobeying God, I would have been stubborn on this aspect and not killed an animal for my own sins. I don't think I could have done it or would have been willing to. Yes culture was different at that time. Much too cruel, much too crude, much too vulgar. In spite of seeing the miracles, the plagues, the manna, the parting of the sea, I would have humbled myself, repented of my sins to God and said, "Punish me! I am the one who sinned." I praise God and thank him that this practice has been has been replaced with the once and forever sacrifice of Jesus.

This is an expression of surrendering the sacrificial gift to God.

It is being responsible for your own sin-ownership.

The blood represents life-Jesus shed His blood so that we could have eternal life!

The offerer transfers his sins to the offering.

It is so the offerer sees how bad his sin is to God and what it takes to appease Him.

There is life in the blood--blood is offered to atone for the sin.

Jesus' blood atoned for everyone's sin at one time.

In the burn offering for an individual's sin (Leviticus 1:3-9), the significance of the offerer laying his hand on the animal's head head is imparting one's sins to the animal that God has accepted as a substitute. This is the basis of the concept of the Substitutionary Atonement. In this case, God accepts from us the death of a lesser being for a greater. But the sacrifice that God provides for us is the Greater for the lesser.

The offerer is to slay the sacrifice rather than having the priest do it. It is a reminder of the appropriate penalty for our sin and rebellion against God.

The animal's blood is significant in sacrifice because the priest sprinkles the blood against the altar to make atonement.

Jesus' sacrifice on the cross fulfill all of this. The mission of carrying on oneself the sins of the people is fulfilled in Jesus. Christ is our scapegoat.

Paul reminds us that, "He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed (1 Peter 2:24).

God believed that by the offerer placing his hands on the animals head and confessing his sin, would make an important and vital connection between the price of sin and the value of the animal (without defect).

The sinner had to be made to realize that sin is not a lite thing, but costs the sinner the animal as well as his own time and effort.

God said that life is in the blood and the blood makes atonement for sin - a life for a life.

Jesus was tempted in all points, as we are, but without sinning. Jesus led a life of purity and holiness, so He did not deserve to die. So when Jesus died on the cross, all sin was put upon His head and His blood was then deposited in the Heavenly Throne Room Altar to pay the price of all sin.

Q4. (Leviticus 1:3-9)

In the burnt offering for an individual's sin: What is the significance of the offerer laying his hand on the animal's head?

It was an important part of the sacrificial ritual. Together with confession this symbolized the person

As the offerer lays hands on the offering, he symbolically transfers all his sins to the offering. I think the offerer is responsible for slaying the sacrifice to recognize the true penalty of his sin. He must come to the realization that this animal had given it's life in the place of the sinner. Since the life is in the blood, the blood signifies the death that occurs because of sin. Jesus shed His blood to be an atonement for us all. I am in agreement with the way Pastor Ralph put it: He was the greater, sacrificed for the lesser. He, being both God and man, was the unblemished human sacrifice that atoned for sin, once and for all. What power in His blood! Praise to you, Lord Jesus!

Q4. (Leviticus 1:3-9) In the burnt offering for an individual's sin: What is the significance of the offerer laying his hand on the animal's head?

I think it was so the sinner made the connection that the sin he/she committed and the resulting guilt, was being transferred to the innocent animal.

Why do you think the offerer is to slay the sacrifice rather than having the priest do it?

So that the offerer takes responsibility for his/her own sin....it was very personal and I imagine objectionable and expensive, to kill a valuable animal in this way. It made certain that the offerer recognized how offensive sin is to our Holy God and that the price for "covering it" was very high!

God required that the blood of a spotless, flawless, innocent animal was shed to cover sin....He said "The life is in the blood", and it was poured out as the animals throat was slit.

In what ways does Jesus' sacrifice on the cross fulfill all of this?

Jesus is the spotless, flawless, sinless and perfect "lamb of God", God Himself, who poured out His own life blood to atone for the sin of the whole world. No other will ever be needed since He died once for all.

Q4. (Leviticus 1:3-9) In the burnt offering for an individual's sin: What is the significance of the offerer laying his hand on the animal's head?

The laying on of hands confers the offerer's sins to the animal. The animal is then sacrificed in place of the person making the sacrifice. "A life for a life".

Why do you think the offerer is to slay the sacrifice rather than having the priest do it?

It's the offerer who's done the sinning; it's the offerer who needs to make the sacrifice. It'd be too easy to just take an animal to the Tabernacle, give it to the priest and say, "See you later, pal". Offering a sacrifice was a grisly procedure and would very likely stick in the person's mind long after he'd done it. Such a remembrance would be a kind of deterrent against future bad behavior.

God told Moses that the life of anything is in its blood. That blood is collected and sprinkled on the altar and on various other things, including in some cases people, to purify them in God's sight. God declared that without the shedding of blood there can be no remission from sin.

In what ways does Jesus' sacrifice on the cross fulfill all of this?

In John's account of Jesus's crucifixion we're told that when the centurion speared Jesus, blood and water flowed out the wound. Jesus bled out every last drop of His blood! It is by Jesus' blood that we are forgiven for our sins and cleansed from ALL unrighteousness.

In the burnt offering for an individual's sin, the significance of the offerer laying his hand on the animal's head is Substitutionary Atonement whereby the offerer confesses his sins and imparts them to the animal that God has accepted as a substitute. God accepts from the offerer the death of a lesser being for a greater.

I think the offerer is to slay the sacrifice rather than having the priest do it beacuse such a slaying is a graphic reminder of the appropriate penalty for the offerer's sin and rebellion against God.

The animal's blood is significant in sacrifice as it is used for atonement. "For the life of a creature is in the blood, and I have given it to you to make atonement for yourselves on the altar; it is the blood that makes atonement for one's life" (Leviticus 17:11)

Jesus' sacrifice on the cross fulfills all of this by dying on the cross so that our sins will be forgiven. "He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed." (1 Peter 2:24). God gave his son as a sacrifice who redeemed our sins "with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect" (1 Peter 1:19).

In the burnt offering , the significance of the offerer laying his hands on the head of the animal to be sacrificed was one of transferring his sin, onto the animal, who would shed blood as an atonement for the sin. This is an example of the lesser being sacrificed for the greater. In contrast, Jesus who was the greater, was sacrificed for the lesser (us) but the same concept of Sacrificial Lamb/Paschal Lamb and the substitute for sin is the same. Jesus took our sins on Himself and paid for them by His blood. Our deliverance is through Him and because of Him.

The offerer himself, was to slay the animal, because it helped bring the reality of the consequences of his sin directly before him. To take part in the sacrifice, is much more personal than just watching. I feel we have made the cross so sanitary today in this way. We don't really see the gruesome, cruel slaughter that Jesus suffered on our behalf. We should remember the pain and the blood He shed for us. It's so profound. We should count our suffering in our small part in Kingdom living a joy when we know we share in His suffering. What we do is really so very small.

The animals blood was significant in that there is life in the blood and that there is no forgiveness of sin without the shedding of blood. Then, the blood was required over and over as an atonement for sin. Today, we have the blood of Jesus as our atonement once and for all. Through His blood we receive life. We should remember the cost and live in reverence and gratefulness.

1. The sinner has a chance to confess, name his sins before he lays hands on the animal that will be taking on his sins before it dies for his atonement.

2. It is his animal and his sins. He needs to realize that his sins are grevious to God, worthy of death, his own death. Thru the grace of God, a lesser sacrifice can be offered in his stead.

3.The animals life is in its blood, therefore, the blood, sprinkled around the alter is a sacrifice of both blood and life for atonement for sin

4. Jesus shed His blood and gave His life for us as atonement for our sins so we could be forgiven if we repented. Jesus was our sacrifice. What a wonderful savior, what a wonderful Lord.

The whole burnt offering symbolizes two things: (1) atonement for sin, turning away God

The whole burnt offering symbolizes two things: (1) atonement for sin, turning away God

Answer:

1. In the burnt offering for an individual's sin: What is the significance of the offerer laying his hand on the animal's head?

The offerer,is signifying to lay His sin,push His sin to the animal head.

2. Why do you think the offerer is to slay the sacrifice rather than having the priest do it?

The offerer has to slay the sacrifice himself,because it is His sin that is being atoned.

3.How is the animal's blood significant in sacrifice? In what ways does Jesus' sacrifice on the cross fulfill all of this?

Without shedding of Blood there is no forgiveness of Sin..It is pointing to the ultimate sacrifice of Jesus,when He shed His Blood,and died for us,to atoned for our sins and rebellion.

The significance of the offerer is signifying to lay His sin and pushing His sin to the animal head.

The offerer has to slay the sacrifice himself because it is His or Her sin(s) that is being atoned and forgived.

The animal's blood is sigificant in sacrifice since without shedding of Blood there is no forgiveness of Sin. It is pointing to the ultimate sacrifice of Jesus the son of God, and when He shed His Blood, and died for us, that is atoning for all our sins and rebellion against him (past, present and future). All we have to accept that the blood of Christ is all it is required for us to be saved, and be forgiven by God since Jesus has die for our sake and paid for our penalty, we are consider redeemed and saved by his holy grace.

The important thing here is that sin is a terrible thing, which is the absolute opposite of God. The consequence of sin is death. In the case of the animal sacrifices here, the death is the death of an innocent animal and the purpose of the offerer of the sacrifice being so intimately involved in the sacrifice was to tie the sinner to the death which results from the sin. When Jesus was sacrificed on the Cross, His death was as a result of my sin, and the only alternative to His sacrificial death would have been my death as a result of my sin and not just my physical death (which is going to happen anyway) but my spiritual death resulting in me being cut off from God for all eternity. It is important that I am mindful of Christ's sacrifice for me in the same way as the offerers of sacrifices were in Old Testament times.

The offerer lays his hands on the animal's head indicating a transfer of his sins to the animal being sacrificed. . .

The offerer is to slay the sacrifice so that he realizes the penalty required for sin. . .

The life is in the blood - so the animal's blood basically cleanses the offerer of his sins. . .

Jesus is the perfect sacrifice in that He gave His life and blood for the sins of humanity - a blood that was not contaminated by sin and therefore acceptable to God. . .

B)

Answering Q.4:To touch the head of the animal is to mark that the said animal will be acceptable to make atonement for such a person.

The offerer is better to slaughter the animal himself to show the real intention of offering and the sincere reconciliation to God.

The blood is the offering part which the priest will splash by the sides of the altar, the dwelling place of God, that makes belief the man's sins are pardoned.

Lord Jesus's sacrifice on the cross fulfills all of the old lore for Jesus himself is the Lord and eternal priest at the same time, sacrificing His most precious Blood to redeem us instead of the animal's blood and on behalf of us, sinners. Therefore HIS sacrifice, for everybody, covers all the aspects each sinner needs to make atonement to God.