JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Preparing for a Miracle

• 3 months later...

Q2. (John 6:10) Why does Jesus have the crowds sit down before feeding them?

God is a God of order. Organizing them into groups and rows allowed for orderly distribution of the meal, and also to be able to assess how much would be needed for each group. I suppose also so that the number could be recorded for posterity.

What is the disciples’ role in this?

They prepared the people for the miracle, and when all was ready, they were the distributors of the bread and fish....It multiplied as they went among the people. They were part of the miracle...they too experienced the power of God, and ate the miracle for their lunch as well.

Why would you prepare for a miracle if you don’t think it would happen?

I wouldn't. There would be no point to it!

How ready is your congregation to see miracles take place?

Our congregation is ready and because we are expectant,...we are experiencing miracles.

He knew what He was going to do. He was preparing. He was also still having the disciples involved. He still wanted them to experience God's power through what they did to help build their faith.

They had to be obedient so that they could be part of the miracle.

Why would you prepare for a miracle if you don’t think it would happen? The disciple didn't know what was coming, they were just obedient. Often we know what God wants us to do but we have no idea of what is coming. We are just obedient. Jesus knew what was coming and what was needed, thus He prepared. We are often here as well. We know what God wants to do through us and how to prepare, thus we have to be obedient and prepare, we just have to ask ourselves, are we ready to submit to His Power? How ready is your congregation to see miracles take place?

We are ready

(John 6:10) Why does Jesus have the crowds sit down before feeding them?

Given that there were so many people to organise and feed, it would probably have been more manageable to do it this way. Rather than it being a 'free for all'. There would have been a danger of stampedes and women, children and the elderly or disabled could have been hurt or even worse-the people would have been very hungry and tired by now.

What is the disciples’ role in this? Why would you prepare for a miracle if you don’t think it would happen?

The disciples may have been excited at the anticipation of what was going to happen next, as they had already seen Jesus perform miracles. The turning of the water into wine at the weeding in Cana for example. He issued the servants with instructions, they carried them out and there was much celebrating to be done after that, and the hosts of the wedding were saved a whole lot of embarrassment (2:1-11).

The disciples would also have been involved in the logistics of this event, which probably would have been quite an onerous task, as there were so many people. They would have had to relay the information to all of the people, or make sure that others did that task. They would have then had to arrange for the distribution of all of the food that appeared after Jesus had given thanks for the barley loves and fish, and then gather all the leftovers!

I think that I can only answer this question for myself. Sometimes I do not have an expectant attitude that God will change something in my or other peoples lives, however sometimes he does it in spite of me!

Q2. (John 6:10) Why does Jesus have the crowds sit down before feeding them? What is the disciples’ role in this? Why would you prepare for a miracle if you don’t think it would happen? How ready is your congregation to see miracles take place?

In my opinion, I think that Jesus had the crowd sit down before the feeding so that the disciples could distribute the food in a non-chaotic manner and as they did so, they were absorbing the miracle that was taking place right before their eyes.  I would not prepare for a miracle if I think it would not happen.  The doubt in your heart woukd negate the miracle from happening.  Our congregations are ready to see miracles take place, we just need to trust God and believe that He wants to perform miracles through us. Amen!

I imagine it was to bring order as God likes things to be done in an orderly manner.

Q. What is the disciples' role in this?

The role they played was that of obedience as they cooperated with the Master, thereby the blessing was given to God and in their obedience the miracle of food was administered to the multitudes.

Q. Why would you prepare for a miracle if you don't think it would happen?

I would not prepare for a miracle if my faith said it would not happen, I can only imagine how exciting it must have been for Jesus Disciples as they prepared and readied themselves to see Jesus multiply the bread and the fishes recalling his first miracle when he changed water into wine, and the many miracles he already performed for the multitude of people.

Q. How ready is your congregation to see miracles take place?

When they asked Jesus, What shall we do that we may do the works, the miracles of God, Jesus said, V29 This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent, this is how the congregation readies themselves to see miracles take place, by believing, it is through “FAITH” in the Son

Q2. (John 6:10) Why does Jesus have the crowds sit down before feeding them? What is the disciples’ role in this?

Jesus had the people sit down in orderly groups so that they could be fed more easily. There would have been utter chaos if they all rushed to Jesus at once. I imagine the people became expectant for something to happen. Jesus had just taught them and now there would have been an aura of expectation in the air as the disciples were organizing them into groups. The disciples' role in this was to prepare the people for Jesus' miracle.

Why would you prepare for a miracle if you don’t think it would happen? How ready is your congregation to see miracles take place?

I think the disciples did think Jesus was going to do something extraordinary. They'd been there when He turned ordinary water into fine wine. I reckon they were not totally lacking in belief that He was about to do another miracle. Just as Jesus had gotten the servants at the wedding to fill the jars in preparation, so this time He got his disciples to firstly source what little food was there and then to organize the people. I reckon the disciples knew Jesus was about to astound them yet again.

Jesus  had the people to sit to receive the food.  The disciples were at this point getting used to the unexpected and did what Jesus said.  He leads us step by step and we trust and obey.  We trust Him with the consequences.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Q2. (John 6:10) 

Why does Jesus have the crowds sit down before feeding them? 

What is the disciples' role in this? 

Why would you prepare for a miracle if you don't think it would happen? 

From Mark 6:40 we read: “So they sat down in groups of hundreds and fifties.” Jesus must have got them to sit down in these groups of hundreds and fifties for ease of counting and serving, and it was the disciples’ role to see that this was carried out. There must have been many more than 5000, if one includes in the count the women and children – easily 10 to 15 thousand mouths to feed. So it was important to have everything done in an orderly fashion. The people must have been prepared for a miracle to happen, otherwise they would not have obeyed the command to sit down in the groups as told. I suppose we would all be ready if we knew a miracle was about to take place. 

Q2. (John 6:10) Why does Jesus have the crowds sit down before feeding them? What is the disciples’ role in this? Why would you prepare for a miracle if you don’t think it would happen? How ready is your congregation to see miracles take place?

Jesus has the crowds sit down in groups most likely to keep them from becoming an unruly mob. This also provided for some sort of organization for the distribution of the food.

The disciples role in this miracle was to distribute the food and witness one of Christ greatest miracle in front of all the people who became witnesses to this event.

How would I prepare for a miracle if i didn't know it would happen, i don't know if I could do this. However, if I prayed and truly believed I was in the will of God, I would get all the preparations necessary for it to happen.

My congregation is always praying for miracles for the sick, financial problems, people with terminal illnesses and what ever their burden may be. We continue to believe that the Lord will heal if we are faithfully believing it will happen.      

Why does Jesus have the crowds sit down before feeding them? What is the disciples’ role in this?

1.  Jesus was organizing the crowd so that  the disciples could determine how much bread was needed for each group.  The disciples were to distribute the food to the crowd.

Why would you prepare for a miracle if you don’t think it would happen? How ready is your congregation to see miracles take place?   

2.  I don't think I would prepare for a miracle if I felt it would not happen.  My congregation is very much ready to see miracles happen.  We are always praying for the sick, the least lost and left out, this country etc. looking for a miracle to turn things around.

Q2. (John 6:10) Why does Jesus have the crowds sit down before feeding them? What is the disciples' role in this? Why would you prepare for a miracle if you don't think it would happen? How ready is your congregation to see miracles take place?

Jesus had the crowd seated before feeding them to ensure that everything was orderly and not rowdy.

One will not prepare for a miracle like Jesus did if he wasn’t sure that it will happen. Jesus was very sure that the five loaves and two fishes would feed the crowd and thus prepare them for it.

Hardly do some people look forward for miracles in many congregations these days.

(John 6:10) Why does Jesus have the crowds sit down before feeding them? What is the disciples’ role in this? Why would you prepare for a miracle if you don’t think it would happen? How ready is your congregation to see miracles take place? 

Two reasons - (i) to organise them so that the disciples can determine how much bread and fish to pass around and (ii) so that the people will not push and shove to get the food. The disciples' role was to organise the people and distribute the food. Further, it could be that Jesus wanted the people to be organised so that they can witness the miracle and believe - be still and know that I am God!

Generally you will not prepare for a miracle if you don't think it will happen. Therefore, there is a need to prepare the congregation's hearts and minds to see and receive miracles. If there is unbelief, it will be difficult for miracles to happen. 

As Dr Wilson notes it will make distribution more organised if everyone is seated.  I think additionally, the injunction Jesus will later make to serve others is another part of the reason.  The disciples will go to all those people and serve them all.

Unlike Jesus, we are not able to prepare for miracles.  They come from God as a result of need and faith.  I think there is a big difference between congregations in the west and those in developing countries.  Western societies are generally dismissive of miracles.  People in third world countries rely on miracles as their lives are much more difficult.

• 4 weeks later...

Jesus has the crowd sit down before feeding them so that they can be organized. If they hadn’t sat down then there probably would have been a lot of pushing and shoving to get the food. The disciples’ role in this is to get them organized. I don’t think I would have done it but because I am being directed to do so I would have done it. I would want to see what would happen next because I would have been skeptical.

I know we are always looking for a miracle but I think that one happened we wouldn’t recognize it.

• 4 weeks later...

Q2. (John 6:10)

Why does Jesus have the crowds sit down before feeding them?

The distribution channel is in place. Our Lord is God of order, the same thing he want us to be always in a fashionate order and not in chaos. So he have the people to sit down so that the disciples can count them easily and while they are sitting they will not push and shove in order to grab at what is being distributed.

To organized the crowd, to be a distribution channel, and to be a witness to a miracle.

Why would you prepare for a miracle if you don’t think it would happen?

Miracles are God's surprises for our faith and for life. Everyday you wake up in the morning! is a miracle. Surprise! You came home from work still alive, Surprise! It is God who is doing the work, It is God who will prepare us to witness it.

My congregation is ready enough to see miracles to take place.

• 3 weeks later...

In performing his miracles, Jesus usually preferred to work through people. Here he took what a young child offered and used it to accomplish one of the most spectacular miracles recorded in the Gospels. Age is no barrier to Christ. Never think you are too young or old to be of service to him.

The disciples' role was to serve, organise the people and distribute the food.

In the gathering there were believers and non believers so the disciples were to prepare the congregation's hearts and minds to see and receive miracles

• 3 months later...

Jesus realized that a crowd this size could and would cause chaos by rushing forward pushing and shoving each other. The disciples were to make sure that the people were in groups of fifty to make the distribution go smoother. Jesus knew what he was going to do and he knew what was going to happen. By making the disciples work, they would hopefully see the hand of God reach down and bless them and this miracle. They believed in Jesus and they were willing to follow all of his instructions. They were working in faith. I believe that even though they had their doubts, they trusted in the Lord. You need to work as if the miracle already took place. You need to believe. I believe that a few people might be ready to see a miracle. But I also feel that most people would never agree that it happened. And I am sure that there might even be a few that would try to take credit for the miracle.

• 1 month later...

Q2. (John 6:10) Why does Jesus have the crowds sit down before feeding them?  What is the disciples' role in this?  Why would you prepare for a miracle if you don't think it would happen? How ready is your congregation to see miracles take place?

1. Primarily to prepare them for the miracle to come.  Secondarily, so the disciples could determine how much bread would be required to feed each group, and seated, the people won't be pushing and shoving in order to grab at what is being distributed.  
  1. The disciples were carrying out Jesus’ directions and were being prepared themselves for the miracle to come.
  1. I don’t believe you would.

• 5 months later...

As the God of order and never chaos, Jesus had the disciples organize the crowd into groups by hundreds and by fifties (Mark 6:39-40). This kept the crowd in control and created a sensible manageable way for the disciples to disperse the food without overlooking anyone.

When Jesus gave the command to have the people be seated this way, the disciples still didn't know what was about to happen but their part was to act in obedience by faith. They had seen Jesus do so many miracles for others and now they were going to experience one for themselves as they became the hands and feet of Jesus, in preparation for their future ministries! Their only reason to do that was they trusted Jesus. This detail about how the crowd was seated in an orderly way on the grass also indicates this is eyewitness testimony of a true and actual supernatural event.

I don't know that I'd put my experiences in the category of this miracle, but I've certainly been in the position of being led in a direction by the Spirit and knowing it was something I couldn't do myself. I've learned and seen that as you begin to take steps in that direction you don't usually know exactly where you'll end up, so in that sense there's no real way to prepare for it ahead of time. But when you just keep taking those steps by faith in Christ and what He'll do, He has always proved His abundance of grace and provision with more than I could have imagined! His lesson for me in this has been that my faith and my willingness to follow are what He's really looking for.

• 2 years later...

Jesus had the crowds sit down before feeding them because he wanted them to be organized. After they are organized he can tell how many are there. The disciples’ role was to help to organize them and distribute the fish and bread. Jesus knew that it was going to happen and the disciples were just following Jesus. I think that we see miracles all the time.

• 7 months later...

Q2. (John 6:10) Why does Jesus have the crowds sit down before feeding them? What is the disciples' role in this? Why would you prepare for a miracle if you don't think it would happen? How ready is your congregation to see miracles take place?

He wanted an organized amount of people so he could tell how many people were there. The disciple's role in this was to organize them, feed them and pick up the fragments left over. Jesus knew it would happen and the disciples were following Jesus' instructions. I believe my church is not ready for them. My church has grown complacent. 

• 5 months later...

In order to receive anything from God, we have to listen and do what He instructs us to do, be obedient.  If the crowd wanted to eat or be fed, they needed to follow instructions.  The disciples also have to be obedient, how will they expect anyone to follow them if they are not willing to listen and obey?  We should not be waiting to see miracles, like the crowd who followed Jesus around just for that purpose.  We should be wanting to have a relationship with Him. to know Him, to listen and learn and do His will.  When we do this, miracles will happen in our lives when we need them and ask.  The God we serve will supply our needs.  He will forgive our sins and accept us in His Church, His kingdom.  That is the miracle!!

• 2 years later...

They reclined on the grass as at a feast.  The crowd took their places and the great Supper of the Lamb (Revelation 19:6-9) is foreshadowed and pre-enacted.  We are reminded of the Lord's Supper; they reclined at the Passover feast. The disciples were in training for effectual ministry.   Christ wanted them to actually do ministry; not just be bystanders.   They were to launch into the deep and know for themselves that God is in the Now. If I didn't have faith, my preparation would be in vain.   We need to have expectanaith that God will wrought miracles.   Sadly many churches have been spooked  by this Covid virus instead of having  healing services.   Years ago healing  services were quite regular.   Past history records describe great healings during  terrible plagues in Europe. 

• 8 months later...

John 6:10) Why does Jesus have the crowds sit down before feeding them? What is the disciples' role in this? Why would you prepare for a miracle if you don't think it would happen? How ready is your congregation to see miracles take place?

When we eat, we too sit down. This was a sizeable crowd. If women and children were included in the count there would possibly be 12 to 15 thousand. 

We are told that in that time the people would recline at the table to eat. There might not have been tables but there was grass. So this was an outside 'dining place'. 

To be able to reach the people to serve them with the food it was far easier to have them sit in groups. This too would stop the jostling about, the accidental tramping on someone, falling over etc., which so easily happens in a crowd. It too would help to ensure that no one was left out. That everyone was served. 

The disciples had to be OBEDIENT before anything could happen. They ensured that the crowd was settled and then after Jesus prayed and broke the bread and gave to them, they distributed the food. As also the fish. 

Faith and obedience was the key.