JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q6. Obedience and Joy

• 3 weeks later...

Q6. (John 15:9-11) How are obedience and joy linked?

Jesus said "I have loved you, just as the Father has loved Me; abide in My love. If you continue in my instructions, you will abide in My love, just as I have obeyed My Father's commandments and live on in His love."...so, we obey because we love Him, and because He loves us, just as Jesus obeyed His Father out of Their love for each other. Mutual joy is the result and reward.

Is obedience an obstacle to a joyful relationship between you and the Lord?

Not any more. In the early days of rebellion and willfulness, guilt, fear, and anger kept joy at bay. His training and loving kindness, grace and mercy, have accomplished His work, and I do have a joyful relationship with the Lord. I know now, that He loves me, accepts me, delights in me, sings over me, dances over me. (Zeph.3;17) and I delight in Him and in following His leading. He has taught me about GRACE so there is no more fear of punishment.

(John 15:9-11) How are obedience and joy linked? Is obedience an obstacle to a joyful relationship between you and the Lord? 

Obedience cannot and should not be an obstacle to a joyful relationship with God. Instead, obedience sets us free to enjoy God's love. Only with children who are obedient can the parents relax in their joy with them. And this joy is what Jesus wants us to experience. As we'll see in verses 14 and 15, Jesus desires to move his disciples from the place of servants, who obey because they have to, to friends, who obey because they want to. Obedience from the heart, the cessation of rebellion, enables free flowing fellowship. 

(John 15:9-11) How are obedience and joy linked? Is obedience an obstacle to a joyful relationship between you and the Lord?          

• Obedience and joy are linked because obedience is a natural result of love.  If you love someone you try to do what pleases them.  Obedience is not an obstacle to a joyful relationship between me and the Lord.  I want to have the right relationship with Jesus and I try to be obedient to his word because I love him.  The joy of living with Jesus keeps me levelheaded no matter how low or high my circumstances are.

Q6. (John 15:9-11) 

How are obedience and joy linked? 

In our self-centred world of today, when we think of obedience, commandments, and rules, we think of it as keeping us from having fun, and at the same time as depriving us of our freedom of choice. Meanwhile, it has just the opposite effect. By obeying Jesus’ commandments we will find that they bring joy to our heart, make us wise, warn us about possible dangers, guide us to success, and give us insight into His will. They are a light for our path and keep us on the straight and narrow, and is never an obstacle to a joyful relationship with our Lord and Saviour. Jesus Himself stated that His own obedience to the Father is the basis of His joy, and goes on to say that if we obey Him we will share the same joy. This joy can only come through a proper relationship with the Lord. When a person is in fellowship with God and with the Lord Jesus, he has a deep-seated joy that cannot be changed by earthly circumstances. Obeying His precepts bring joy to our hearts (Psalm 19:8); spending time with the Lord leads to joy (Psalm 16:11); the Holy Spirit gives us joy (Gal 5:22); and our salvation gives us joy (1 Peter 1:8). 

This reminds me of this great hymn:

When we walk with the Lord 

in the light of his word, 

what a glory he sheds on our way! 

While we do his good will, 

he abides with us still, 

and with all who will trust and obey. 

Refrain:

Trust and obey, for there's no other way 

to be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey.

Q6. (John 15:9-11) How are obedience and joy linked? Is obedience an obstacle to a joyful relationship between you and the Lord?

I once heard that you obey the one you love.  I agree with that and if I don't obey then maybe I love my self too much.

How can there be a joyful relationship with God if I don't obey His commands.  How can He be happy with me if I don't obey.  If I take matters in my own hands ( which I have done and it is a disaster with long term consequences) how can He be joyful in me.  And if He is not happy with what I am doing I will not be happy for long either.  The sorrow I will feel will be  immediate and the long term consequences will follow.

I so love the hymn that Hanks posted.  There is no other way than to trust and obey.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

Q6. (John 15:9-11) How are obedience and joy linked? Is obedience an obstacle to a joyful relationship between you and the Lord?

Obedience and joy are clearly linked in the above passage (v11). Obedience is not normally an obstacle to a joyful relationship with Christ in my life. It may have been in the past and is occasionally now. I become less joyful or even lose my joy altogether, when I become legalistic about my faith. Perhaps it is the devil or me or both putting pressure on me telling me that I am not good enough to call myself a christian.

When we are obedient, as in the example from Pastor Ralph, God is happy with us.  We can live together in harmony.  There is a lovely hymn which has the chorus line, ‘God and Man at table are sat down’.  We can feel a great sense of peace when this happens, even if our earthly life is in turmoil.  Obedience is essential to a joyful relationship with the Lord.

Obedience and joy are linked in the fact that if one is disobedient he or she must always be disciplined, this results not in joy. Being corrected continually hardens the heart because the individual does not want to follow the commands or rules given. The individual always wants things their way, because their way is the only way. To follow rules and commands of those in authority will result in a joyful heart that is able to enjoy the privileges that go along with the benefits of being obedient. A joyful heart will create joy among those that are around them.  

Obedience will not be an obstacle to the joyful relationship with the Lord. To obey his commands and love one another as he loves us will gain us a life full of joy and a relationship that will guarantee us life with God and Christ in eternal life in heaven with them.  

1.If we are obedient joy will be there . Joy comes from a consistent relationship with Jesus Christ.

2. Obedience is not an obstacle to a joyful relationship with the Lord. The joy of living with Jesus Christ daily keeps us focus on him no matter how high or low our circumstances.

Lesson 26 Question 6

I loved the example of a disobedient child whose disobedience detracts from the joy of the parents and the implication that we as God's children can bring joy to God and to ourselves when we are obedient. Obedience from the heart is a response to God's love. This obedience brings joy. An obedience that is more obligation than response is likely to diminish this joy.

• 4 weeks later...

When things are going well, we feel elated. When hardships come, we sink into depression. But true joy transcends the rolling waves of circumstance. Joy comes from a consistent relationship with Jesus Christ. When our lives are intertwined with his, he will help us walk through adversity without sinking into debilitating lows and manage prosperity without moving into deceptive highs. The joy of living with Jesus Christ daily will keep us level-headed, no matter how high or low our circumstances.

Jesus’ testimony was trustworthy because he had come from heaven and was speaking of what he had seen there. His words were the very words of God. Your whole spiritual life depends on your answer to one question: Who is Jesus Christ? If you accept Jesus as only a prophet or teacher, you have to reject his teaching, for he claimed to be God’s Son, even God himself. The heartbeat of John’s

Gospel is the dynamic truth that Jesus Christ is God’s Son, the Messiah, the Savoir, who existed from the beginning and will continue to live forever. This same Jesus has invited us to accept him and live with him eternally. When we understand who Jesus is, we are compelled to believe what he said.

Our obedience to God is not an obstacle to joy full relationship. God wants us to fellowship with Him through and through. 

Q6. (John 15:9-11) How are obedience and joy linked? Is obedience an obstacle to a joyful relationship between you and the Lord?

Obeying Jesus from our heart leads to Him to love us and and His joy will be in us. Our pyers will also be answered.

Not really.

• 2 weeks later...

Abiding in the love Christ has for us is intimately linked to obeying His commandments.  Love opens the heart to willingly obey in response, not always perfectly but always with the prevailing desire to please.  Jesus said that abiding in this voluntary yielding to God’s commands (whose primary law is that of love – Matthew 22:37-40) will result in the blessing of joy.  This is entirely different from the obligation and legalism of rule-keeping, which deal with judgment not love.

The Greek definition of joy that I really like is “calm, satisfied delight”.  We will enjoy a serene gladness of heart in the One we love, knowing that we do our best to honor and please Him.  When we fail in our obedience, we lose our delight in Christ because we’ve allowed a barrier that blocks unhindered fellowship between self and Him, the origin and fullness of our joy.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a process of digesting what is God's love, and how complete it is to dealing with life every day, in every way. Accepting what happens as God's will. It helps me realize that it is time to relax, because God is in control, everything will be ok. Maybe it will take longer than we'd want, but not if we trust God.

Obedience can only be viewed as a way, not an obstacle, to overcome one's former life. So it is not an obstacle, it is the way to enter into the light, and truth of living for God's kingdom, and not for ourselves. Loving to be obedient will provide this peace which passes all understanding, to keep out hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.

Oh most precious Holy Spirit, teach me please to let go, to trust you more than ever before. I beg you in new humility, may I wear this every day. Teach me to slow down and yield to you in every moment. Help me to hear, trust and follow the Father's will, so that my will shall be lost in yours and no longer exist. I know you are changing things slowly, to help me adapt better, as long as I stay in your peace. In Jesus name, amen

• 3 months later...

How are obedience and joy linked?  Obedience is an essential component for living a Christian life and an unqualified expression of our love of God.  “Obedience is the natural result of love;” true joy is a by-product of that love and the faith that is derived from our obedience.  Peace and joy come from knowing that our ultimate reward will be to spend eternity with Him in Paradise.

Is obedience an obstacle to a joyful relationship between you and the Lord?  Obedience isn’t an obstacle at all, it’s the pathway leading to joyfulness and fellowship with the Lord.  In order for our love for God to grow within us, we must constantly strive to know Him and obey His commands.  When we finally come to understand and appreciate the abiding love that God has for us, we strive even harder to please Him.  Obedience through our love of God brings with it a clear conscience and a clear conscience produces peace and joy in our lives… And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 4:7 NIV)

• 3 years later...
  • 7 months later...

They are linked because when we obey we have unspeakable joy from Him. Yes it is because I am wondering when He will answer my prayers and give me the desires of my heart. 

• 2 years later...

When one studies and prayerfully meditates on this chapter; one cannot help to see that the stress is on GOD'S LOVE for us.   This thought was very instrumental in John Wesley's conversion at Aldersgate; the unfathomable love of God.  Though Wesley was a devout Anglican, he needed that "baptism" of wonderful love of God.  Apostle Paul wrote eloquently about this love of God in Roman's 8.   The love of God as manifested in the life and words of Christ--profoundly changed the heart and mind of Apostle Paul. St. Paul is the prime example of obedience and continuance in God's love, and was fruitfull of good works.  Roman's 8:35 magnifies the love of Christ during tribulation or persecution.

I honestly testify to Roman's 8:35.   The way of holiness (Isaiah 35) is the good way.   By being obedient and forsaking the world, the flesh and the devil;  God has certainly given me that joy from on high.  I have taken measures to avoid negative people with negative attitudes.   Daily mortification of the flesh is also part of my life.

• 8 months later...

Q6. (John 15:9-11)

How are obedience and joy linked?

If we are obedient to the ones we love then this will bring a joy to them at the same time it will be a joy to us because we have brought them joy.  So we see that obedience and joy are pretty much linked together, one brings the other into "fruition".  

A joyful relationship between me and the Lord Jesus comes about because of obedience to Him. Obedience is very definitely not an obstacle.