JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Appealing to the Almighty

• 2 months later...

The essence of Daniel's prayer was recognition of the Jews' sinful state, confession of national transgression against Yahweh and His law, and the plea for God's mercy and restoration of Jerusalem.

I don't know how to outline the various grounds of Daniel's appeal any better than Pastor Ralph has done.

1. God's precedent

2. God's glory.

3. God's righteousness.

4. God's personal identification with Jerusalem.

5. Worship in God's temple.

6. God's personal identification with Jerusalem.

7. God's mercy.

God was faithful to His promise to hear and answer the cry of repentance. Verses 20-23 record His answer. Yahweh sent his angelic messenger Gabriel to assure that Daniel was greatly loved by God and that an answer from heaven was dispatched even as he began to plea for mercy. Gabriel revealed that he had been sent to give Daniel insight and understanding [about the seventy weeks of Jeremiah's prophecy and their purpose (9:1-2)].

(Daniel 9:15-19) What was Daniel’s essential prayer? What are the various grounds of Daniel’s appeal? How did God answer the prayer (see Daniel 9:20-23)? 

Daniel's essential prayer was for God to turn away His anger and wrath from Jerusalem, His city, His holy hill and to look with favor on your desolate sanctuary.

The various grounds of appeal were:

1. God's precedent. God delivering Israel from Egypt provides a precedent for delivering
them from Babylon. 
2. God's glory. Just as God's glory was known through the deliverance from Egypt, so the deliverance from Babylon will bring Him glory.
3. God's righteousness. Deliverance of God's people shows God's righteousness as an act of mercy .
4. God's personal identification with Jerusalem. God has identified Himself with Jerusalem, the City of God ("your city") and the temple mount ("your holy hill"). While Israel's sins have brought scorn to Jerusalem and Israel and to God, by association deliverance will erase that scorn.
5. Worship in God's temple ("your desolate sanctuary") will be filled with worshippers again.
6. God's personal identification with Jerusalem (again). Daniel reminds God that the desolate city "bears your Name".
7. God's mercy. Daniel's appeal is not on the basis of Israel's righteousness, which has been destroyed by sin and rebellion. He appeals solely on the basis of God's known character of mercy.

God did hear and answer Daniel's prayer both by the personal messenger of the Angel Gabriel (9:20-21) and historical events that unfolded. While Daniel probably did not return to Jerusalem, others did. The book of Ezra records the amazing decree of Cyrus that freed the Israelites to return from exile (Ezra 1:24). The new Persian rulers wanted the prayers of their conquered peoples, and so cooperated with the return and rebuilding process.

Q4. (Daniel 9:15-19) What was Daniel's essential prayer?  FOR GOD'S SAKE

What are the various grounds of Daniel's appeal? Precedent and identity

How did God answer the prayer (see Daniel 9:20-23)? It was already done, the moment he began to pray..

Daniel 9:20-23New Life Version (NLV)

Daniel Tells about the Future

20 I was speaking and praying, and telling the Lord my sin and the sin of my people Israel. I was asking the Lord my God to show favor to His holy mountain. 21 And while I was still praying, the man Gabriel, whom I had seen before in the dream, flew to me in a hurry at about the time when the evening gift is given in worship. 22 He talked to me and told me things, saying, “O Daniel, I have now come to give you wisdom and understanding.23 As soon as you began to pray, an answer was given, which I have come to tell you. For you are loved very much. So listen to what I say and understand the special dream.

Q4 (Daniel 9:15-19) What was Daniel's essential prayer?

Daniel's priority in prayer was for God's mercy, forgiveness and favor.

What are the various grounds of Daniel's appeal?

God's precedent in delivering the Israelite's from Egyptian bondage, and

For "Your own sake" ..or reputation, His righteousness or Glory and His identification with Jerusalem and restored worship.

How did God answer the prayer (see Daniel 9:20-23)?

God sent the Archangel Gabriel to Daniel to instruct him in skill, wisdom and understanding, then explained that as soon as Daniel prayed the answer "went forth". He added: I have come to tell you for your are greatly beloved.Therefore consider the matter and understand the vision."

confession--desiring God's mercy

God's precedent.

2.God's glory.

3.God's righteousness. Deliverance of God's people shows God's righteousness as an act of mercy

4.God's personal identification with Jerusalem.

5.Worship in God's temple "for your sake" (verse 17).

6.God's personal identification with Jerusalem (again).

7.God's mercy.

Gabriel came in answer to Daniel's prayer.

What was Daniel’s essential prayer? What are the various grounds of Daniel’s appeal? How did God answer the prayer (see Daniel 9:20-23)?          

Daniel essential prayer was acknowledgment of sin and doing wrong. He also prayed for mercy and forgiveness.  The various grounds of Daniel's appeal were:

1. God's precedent
  2. God's glory
  3. God's righteousness
  4. God's personal identification with Jerusalem
  5. Worship in God's temple
  6. God's personal identification with Jerusalem (again
  7. God's mercy

God answered the prayer by sending messenger of the Angel Gabriel.

Q4. (Daniel 9:15-19) What was Daniel’s essential prayer? What are the various grounds of Daniel’s appeal? How did God answer the prayer (see Daniel 9:20-23)?

Daniel's essential prayer was confession and undeserved mercy

His grounds were

1 God's precedent (bringing the people out of Egypt)

2 God's glory

3 God's righteousness

4 God's personal identification with Jerusalem

Daniel got a response without equal.  God sent Gabriel to give Daniel insight and understanding and the way was opened for the people to return to their land.

All praise and glory go to our God to whom there are no words to describe His greatness.

God Bless

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Q4. (Daniel 9:15-19) What was Daniel’s essential prayer?

Pleading for mercy to be redeemed

What are the various grounds of Daniel’s appeal?

God mighty power to save, Forgiveness of sins

At the beginning of your supplications, the command [to give you an answer] was issued, and I have come to tell you, for you are highly regarded and greatly beloved. Therefore consider the message and begin to understand the [meaning of the] vision.

Q4. (Daniel 9:15-19) What was Daniel’s essential prayer? What are the various grounds of Daniel’s appeal? How did God answer the prayer (see Daniel 9:20-23)?

Daniel's essential prayer was that the people of Israel, God's people, had sinned by not keeping his commands and ordinances. They had forsaken God for false idols and wickedness prevailed in the culture.

The various grounds for Daniel's appeal to God was his personal identification with Jerusalem, the worship in God's temple, Gods righteousness and his mercy on the people.

God answered Daniel's prayers by sending an angel to speak with him. He came to give Daniel skill, wisdom and understanding of the visions he had.      

What was Daniel's essential prayer? What are the various grounds of Daniel's appeal? How did God answer the prayer (see Daniel 9:20-23)?

Two passages reveal the heart of God, that I still find amazing to comprehend.  Verses 9-11 says, "The Lord our God is merciful and forgiving, even though we have rebelled against him; 10  we have not obeyed the LORD our God or kept the laws he gave us through his servants the prophets. 11  All Israel has transgressed your law and turned away, refusing to obey you. Therefore the curses and sworn judgments written in the Law of Moses, the servant of God, have been poured out on us, because we have sinned against you." 

And verse 13 - "All this disaster has come upon us, yet we have not sought the favor of the Lord our God by turning from our sins and giving attention to your truth." (9:13)

Daniel's prayer was a prayer of intercession for a nation.  His was a prayer of repentance and seeking God's mercy.  He was not an elected representative of the people, but took on the burden of interceding for his people, his nation.  God's answer is balanced between accountability for rebellion and sin, but I believe the bigger picture is mercy and forgiveness.  There are consequences for sin and rebellion, but the larger heart of God is for relationship with His people which comes about through mercy, grace and forgiveness and restoration.  In this I see the exile as a consequence, but also grace as God continued to work in them throughout their exile, bringing them back to Himself.  Daniel's prayer is based not on the people, but on God.  This is God's purpose and God's agenda and God''s plan and it is all for God's glory. God answered Daniel's prayer through Gabriel.

Q4. (Daniel 9:15-19) What was Daniel's essential prayer ?

Daniel knew very well that failure to pray cannot bring spiritual progress, he who does not pray robs himself of God’s divine intervention in one’s life. Therefore, basically the centrality of Daniel’s prayer is CONFESSION of the sins of his people as his own. Though this confession must be seen as behalf of the nation of Israel which included himself, who was basically a God fearing man, he takes the burden of the people of God, as it weighed so heavily upon his heart.

What are the various grounds of Daniel's appeal ?

I see the following in his appeal :

Being righteous he SEEKED God in PRAYER and PETITION - His CONFESSION on behalf of the Israel – Giving PRAISE, HONOUR – admittance of Israel’s SHAME before the RIGHTEOUSNESS of God – Daniel’s plea for MERCY – his IDENTIFICATION of GOD with Israel’s people and the Temple –an ASSURANCE that the torn down Temple will be rebuilt and again be filled with worshippers – and finally asking for FORGIVENESS without delay.

How did God answer the prayer ?

The archangel Gabriel was sent to bestow wisdom and understanding upon Daniel to consider the word and understand the vision.

Q4. (Daniel 9:15-19) What was Daniel's essential prayer? What are the various

grounds of Daniel's appeal? How did God answer the prayer (see Daniel 9:20-23)?

1.Daniel pleaded for mercy and forgiveness.

2.God's precedentGod's gloryGod's righteousnessGod's personal 

identification with Jerusalem,Worship in God's templeGod's personal identification 

with Jerusalem, and God's mercy

3.He sent the Angel Gabriel.

Daniel essential he praised God for who He is and also for bringing them out of bondage in Egypt. He admitted they sinned and done wrong against the Lord. Because God is a righteous God, Daniel prayed that God would away His anger and wrath from Jerusalem. God sent the angel Gabriel to give him insight and understanding of the seventy years.

Daniel essential he praised God for who He is and also for bringing them out of bondage in Egypt. He admitted they sinned and done wrong against the Lord. Because God is a righteous God, Daniel prayed that God would away His anger and wrath from Jerusalem. God sent the angel Gabriel to give him insight and understanding of the seventy years.

What was Daniel's essential prayer?

An appeal for mercy.

1. God's precedent.    
2. God's glory.
3. God's personal identification with Jerusalem.
4. Worship in God's temple.
5. God's personal identification with Jerusalem (again).
6. God's mercy.

How did God answer the prayer?

God did hear and answer Daniel's prayer -- both by the personal messenger of the Angel Gabriel and historical events that unfolded.

Daniel prayed reminding God of how He had protected and carried the Children of Israel out of Egypt, through the Read Sea, through the wilderness and kept them up to the present day.  He told Gd that the other nations are looking and are mindful of how God takes care of, and treats His children. God heard Daniel's prayer and answered Daniel's prayer -- both by the personal messenger of the Angel Gabriel (9:20-21) and historical events that unfolded.

Q4. (Daniel 9:15-19) 

What was Daniel's essential prayer? 

From the Scriptures Daniel had found out what God had promised and had prayed according to the will of God. He came before God reverently, patiently, and penitently. We see Daniel coming before God as a humble man seeking the great and mighty God, at the same time overcome with a sense of sin which he confesses. In this confession he associates himself with the nation to which he belongs, and therefore confesses the sins of the whole nation. It is not a general confession but one in which he details all the wrongdoings that have been done against God. He acknowledges that it is for this reason that they have been exiled, and that God acted righteously in punishing them. Their present predicament and punishment is the fulfilment of a Divine promise of what would happen if they turned their back on Him. However, in this great prayer we also see that he came to God trusting in His mercy. Daniel's appeals were based on the character of God: His greatness, His glory, His awesomeness, His faithfulness, His righteousness, His forgiveness, His mercies. God answered the prayer by sending Gabriel, while Daniel’s lips were still moving in prayer. Gabriel told Daniel that God thinks highly of him and that from the very first moment that he began to pray heaven had been listening! He then gave Daniel an outline of the future history of the Jewish nation under the figure of seventy weeks. 

Daniel's essential prayer is for pleading on God's mercy and His forgiveness of sin to the nation of Israel, and for its restoration.  The grounds of his appeal are:

God's precedent. God delivering Israel from Egypt provides a precedent for delivering them from Babylon (9:15).

God's glory. Just as God's glory was known through the deliverance from Egypt, so the deliverance from Babylon will bring him glory (9: 15).

Dan 9:15  And now, O Lord our God, that hast brought thy people forth out of the land of Egypt with a mighty hand, and hast gotten thee renown, as at this day; we have sinned, we have done wickedly.

God's righteousness. Deliverance of God's people shows God's righteousness as an act of mercy (9:16).

God's personal identification with Jerusalem. God has identified himself with Jerusalem, the City of God ("your city Jerusalem") and the temple mount ("your holy mountain"). While Israel's sins have brought scorn to Jerusalem and Israel -- and to God, by association -- deliverance will erase that scorn (9:16).

Dan 9:16  O Lord, according to all thy righteousness, I beseech thee, let thine anger and thy fury be turned away from thy city Jerusalem, thy holy mountain: because for our sins, and for the iniquities of our fathers, Jerusalem and thy people are become a reproach to all that are about us.

God answers to Daniel's prayer by sending His messenger Gabriel to give Daniel the skill of understanding his vision and to comfort him (9:21-23).

Dan 9:21  Yea, whiles I was speaking in prayer, even the man Gabriel, whom I had seen in the vision at the beginning, being caused to fly swiftly, touched me about the time of the evening oblation.

Dan 9:22  And he informed me, and talked with me, and said, O Daniel, I am now come forth to give thee skill and understanding.

Dan 9:23  At the beginning of thy supplications the commandment came forth, and I am come to shew thee; for thou art greatly beloved: therefore understand the matter, and consider the vision.

• Daniel’s essential prayer was a prayer of confession.  Even as we suffer from His judgment, we must confess what God does is right. The sinner can pray to such a God for forgiveness and ask for new historical acts establishing righteousness for the repentant sufferer.
  • “O Lord, in keeping with all your righteousness, let your anger and your wrath be turned away from your city, Jerusalem, your holy mountain; because our sins, and the iniquities of our fathers, have caused Jerusalem and your people to become an object of scorn to all those around us.” (verse 16) “Now therefore, O our God, listen to the prayers of your servant, listen to his petitions; for the Lord’s sake, cause your face to shine upon your sanctuary that now lies desolate.” (verse 17) “O my God, incline your ear, and hear; open your eyes and look upon our desolations—the city that bears your name!” (verse 18a) It is striking how Daniel’s prayer focuses on the kingdom of God; Daniel is praying for the preservation, the restoration, and the building up of that kingdom.
  • Daniel states, “And whiles I was speaking, and praying, and confessing my sin and the sin of my people Israel, and presenting my supplication before the Lord my God for the holy mountain of my God; 21 yea, whiles I was speaking in prayer, even the man Gabriel, whom I had seen in the vision at the beginning, being caused to fly swiftly, touched me about the time of the evening oblation. 22 And he informed me, and talked with me, and said, O Daniel, I am now come forth to give thee skill and understanding. 23 At the beginning of thy supplications the commandment came forth, and I am come to shew thee; for thou art greatly beloved: therefore understand the matter, and consider the vision”.

Q4. (Daniel 9:15-19)

Q. What was Daniel's essential prayer?

A. For urgent fulfilment of God's promise to return the exiled and restore the city of God to its past glory.

Q. What are the various grounds of Daniel's appeal?

A. God's precedents in the past; His glory associated with the city and people; His righteousness; and His persoanl identification with the people of Israel and it people.

Q. How did God answer the prayer (see Daniel 9:20-23)?

A. Angel Gabriel was sent to explain God's intended plans for restoration.

Daniel appealed to God's nature-a loving and merciful God. He appealed to God to turn away his anger and wrath from Jerusalem so his name can be honored again. He pleaded for God's forgiveness for the nation of Israel. He appealed to his God who's name has been dishonored because of the state of Jerusalem-the focal point of the nation of God's people, so his name will be honored and not scorned.

God sent the angel Gabriel to inform Daniel that his prayer has been answered.

Daniel (15-19)What was Daniel's essential prayer? What are the various grounds of Daniel's appeal? How did God answer the prayer (see Daniel 9:20-23)?

a.Daniel at first confessed and offered the petition.

He prayed that the wrath of God be removed ,and asked for His Favor,mercy ,forgiveness and restoration of land ,

b.He spoke of answered prayers and Gods leading /actions in the past 

(let thy anger and thy fury be turned away from Jerusalem )

Daniel acknowledges that the city which has been called thy name ,jerusalem ,have the light of Lord (shine upon it )

that the supplications are presented not for its merits ,but for the mercy of God ,

He pleads not to defer ,but be quick 

c.While Daniel was speaking in prayers ,Gabriel who he had seen initially ,flew in and touched him down to and spoke that a commandment is in place -to  provide skill ,understanding of the vision ,and assured Daniel of being beloved .Daniel was asked o understand the matter and consider the vision he had ,

Daniel 9:15-19) What was Daniel's essential prayer? What are the various grounds of Daniel's appeal? How did God answer the prayer (see Daniel 9:20-23)?

Now, O Lord our God, who brought your people out of Egypt with a mighty hand and who made for yourself a name that endures to this day, we have sinned, we have done wrong. 16 O Lord, in keeping with all your righteous acts, turn away your anger and your wrath from Jerusalem, your city, your holy hill. Our sins and the iniquities of our fathers have made Jerusalem and your people an object of scorn to all those around us.

God,s precedent. God's glory, God's righteous and God's identification with Israel.

God sent an angel to speak to Daniel and the Israelites did return to the land.

• 2 weeks later...

Daniel’s essential prayer is one that says that they were guilty of sin and that they deserved to be scattered and that they hadn’t turned back to him. But he asked for his mercy and to return to his people.

The angel Gabriel came and talked to him and told him to consider and understanding of the vison. So Gabriel answered him with the restoration of Israel.