JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. God's Promise and Sarah's Deliverance

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings,

Abraham was probably afraid, and this promise was a calming promise that if anyone bothered them, God would keep his promise and if someone blessed them , then they would be blessed.

Just God reassuring Abraham that He would be with them.

What a wonderful promise. We can still hold on to that promise.

What relationship does God's promise to Abraham in 12:2-3 have to do with the incident of Sarah's abduction in 20:10-20?

how quickly Abraham forgot Gods promise.

we do forget, and we need the ministers and Christians to remind us of Gods promise and His love. :blink:

The relationship reflects the fact that our God is a covenant God and that He remembers His promises. It shows God will keep His covenant promise forever.

As we grow in this study - - we will see the beauty of worshiping our Covenant God - - and the comfort we can know that He remembers, He loves us and provides for us.

In spite of the fact that Abraham deceived Abimelech, Abimelcech allowed him to go off scott free. This would have been unexpected for a pagan king with a reputation for so easily murdering people to get what they wanted. Instead he gave Abraham full restoration, money, servants, animals, and the freedom to live wheverever he wanted. He magnified the blessings Abraham already had. In addition, God had closed up the wombs of all Abimelech's household as a curse which was then removed when he gave abundantly to Abraham. God said he would bless those who blessed Abraham and curse those who cursed him.

Now unto Him that is able to do exceeeding abundantly above all that we ask or think according to the power that workest in us.

The relationship is that God promised He would bless Abraham. The blesssngs were given to Abraham while still on earth unexpectedly and undeserved. We cannot even begin to imagine the blessings Abraham now shares as part of his inheritance in the kingdom of God.

Q5. (12:2-3) What relationship does God's promise to Abraham in 12:2-3 have to do with the incident of Sarah's abduction in 20:10-20?

I usually answer the questions first, and then read other replies. Today I did the opposite for I couldn't answer the question.

I saw a couple of responces that although they sounded good at first, the lasting impression was not. I can't see God using people in a hurtful way, just to prove a point.

And then I came across another that totaly hit home with me, and that is that all though Abraham & Sarah either forgot that God would protect them, or just didn't think that God would in every kind of situation. That no matter our poor decisions at times, God is Faithful and does as He promised.

I also know why I have been so upset lately. And that question I wouldn't answer, but inadvertantly did, was "What does it mean for me to call out on the name of the Lord?" Although I try to deny admitting fear. I am afraid because of my transgression's, that The Lord has turned His face from me and that He won't hear me. I deny those thoughts and don't like to relay them because I know it is not true. But the doubt is still there, even if in the tiniest form, but it's not tiny, it's HUGE even if the transgression is not obvious. But it is very obvious because I can't do one without the other. My love for God is not silent. Mixed with transgression though, makes me a lier & false teacher no matter the reason. I would rather die right now then hurt anyone with The Word/Love, or in any way period. And the one's who know of that which I turn for what ever reason that is opposite of what God would have for me (I am not positive that God has not provided this thing for the purpose I use it), also are not living godly lives, and so by my saying this: God is Love & Provides, but doing that: looking outside of God for relief. So I am hurting them, telling them the truth yes, but remaining in the flesh myself because of my own rebellion once upon a time, is like the teachings of jezabel. So people hear me, but don't think they need to change. But ohhhh, if they could only see the change that God graced me with. They know something is there but refuse to hear what I have to say on Gods behalf, because if I can be kept in agreement with them over this one thing, then they can continue to be guilty of as much as they choose in front of me, and what can I say? God has proved to me over & over again that He is listening, and is in control, and He provides for me in the midst of it all. So what's my problem? Fear! I didn't think I was afraid, but well, I am. I am afraid that my whole life has been a waste of exsistence, and although I love, and do what I can when I do to help other's, and pray for their health & prosperity, and that people are good & Love Jesus. I struggle with this on the deepest level. There it is, with out the it!

I had to change my signature because I don't feel seperated unto the Gospel of Jesus Christ with this thing hanging over my head. I am sorry everyone. I want to be better. I do Love God more than I can possibly explain.

The relationship of God's promise to Abraham and the incident of Sarah's abduction are related in that When Abimelech was about to sin against

Abraham, God brought a curse to the house of Abimelech, but when God

convicted Abimelech of this sin, then Abimelech blessed Abraham by restoring his wife to him and blessing him with sheep, oxen, servants , land

and silver-thus the curse and the blessing.

Q5. (12:2-3) What relationship does God's promise to Abraham in 12:2-3 have to do with the incident of Sarah's abduction in 20:10-20?

God did not allow these foreigners to actually make Sarah their wife in actuality. In time they would have, but God sent disaster on them--just as he told Abraham that "He would bless those that bless you and curse those that curse you." So we see He is faithful to His promises, no matter how faithless we are with Him! Not that this is a reason to ignore our promises to Him. Rather, we know we can trust Him, so we should be humbly grateful enough to obey Him and follow His guidance! :rolleyes:

It is clear that God keeps his promises even when we work against his plans by acting on our own impulses, which are from the flesh. He was showing this principle in his dealing with Abraham who received God's grace (unmerited favor) over and over again despite his rather questionable actions. God doesn't take back his promises because of our foolishness, a fact for which I am certainly grateful :) We drop the ball and he runs interference, causing "all things to work together for the good for those who love the Lord and are called according to His purpose." The secret is in the last part of that promise:"according to His purpose" God's purpose doesn't change just because we mess up or act independently of God's perfect will. God had called Abraham to be the Father of many nations. That was his purpose for Abraham and Sarah and the reason He would keep his promises by doing whatever it took to do so. He delivered Sarah from the bondage of her abductor(s) as part of turning all things to the good.

The relationship of love. God loved Abraham and so promised him that He would make him the father of a great generation. God kept His promises even in spite of Abraham not being faithful and true. That sequence has been following ever since towards mankind.

We always go off tangent to God's will and purposes. But the ever faithful and promise keeping God doesn't budge from His route. He does what He promises. What a steady rock we have. A rock of comfort and safety, that we can always run to. Praise God!!!

1) It shows man's faithlessness and God's faithfulness.

2) In 20:14-16, it shows God's blessings on Abraham as Abimelech gave Abraham animals, servant, silver and said to live wherever he liked.

3) God blessed Abimelech by healing him after Abraham prayed for Abimelech because Abimelech blessed Abraham.

God promised Abraham that his name will be great, anyone who calls evil upon him will be cursed, and that the on'es that bless Abraham will also be blessed.

So that's the reason Abimelech gave Abraham sheep, cattle, menservants, maidservents and gave Sarah back. Abraham did not lie about Sarah to some degree but in reality that is why he was in God's favor and being blessed. He lacked faith but his heart was pure.

God promises to Abraham to remain faithfull to him to make him many nations, in Sarah's abduction God still keeps his promise, by working out good for those who love Him.

God promised to make Abraham a great nation. He would be blessed by an heir from Sarah. This promise can't be fulfilled if Sarah is the wife of another man. This shows that God not only remembers His promises, but is faithful to keep them.