JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. God's Promise and Sarah's Deliverance

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q5. (12:2-3) What relationship does God's promise to Abraham in 12:2-3 have to do with the incident of Sarah's abduction in 20:10-20? It proved to Abraham once again that God was in charge of this, and all, situations. Abraham quickly forgot the blessings and promises that God had given him.

• 2 weeks later...

God's plan was to be fullfilled regardless of circumstances. While men follow their evil hearts, it is God's will that ultimately prevails. Sarah needed to remain undefiled. We cannot read..."and Sarah gave birth to Pharaoh's son and then later to Isaac, Abraham's son". That would defile the sacred line.

It proves that God's promisses are always true and that he blessed Abraham. He gave him animals, silver and gold and he in turn when Abraham had been blessed he blessed the one that blessed Abraham when he prayed for him.

• 3 weeks later...

GOD WAS THERE FOR ABRAHAM EVEN IN THE SITUATION THAT HAD POTENTIAL PROBLEMS.

GOD LOVED ABRAHAM,AND GOD LOVES US,EVEN IN THE PROBLEMS YOU CAUSE GOD MAY INTERVINE WHEN YOU LEAST EXPECT IT.

KEEP YOUR FAITH IN GOD ALWAYS,EVEN IF IT IS AS SMALL AS A MUSTARD SEED.GOD WILL COME THROUGH FOR US.IT MAY NOT BE THE WAY WE WANT THINGS TO TURN OUT BUT IM SURE IT WOULD BE FOR OUR BEST INTERESTS IN WHAT GOD DOES FOR US.GOD IS A LOVING GOD AND NEVER PUTS ON US MORE THAN WE CAN HANDLE.TURN TO GOD IN EVERYTHING.I MYSELF HAVE HAD TO LEARN TO "LET GO AND LET GOD". :D BELIEVE ME,I AM GOING THROUGH SOMETHING RIGHT NOW WITH ONE OF MY CHILDREN.I HAVE NO CONTROL,AND I CAN NOT CONTROL THE PROBLEM.I HAVE GIVEN IT TO GOD.GOD IS THE ONE IN CONTROL.REMEMBER MY FAMILY IN PRAYER.BLESSINGS LINDA

• 1 month later...

God is showing Abraham how He has everything under His control, regardless of Abraham's state of faith. This comforts me greatly for i have been a hyprocrite, a rotten sinner in the weekdays while worshipping God on Sundays. I can't forgive myself....now I know that God can and will. As i look back i saw God's provding hand feeding me while i was looking away from Him. Oh i am so humbled!!

Thank you Jesus for the Cross.

But i must confess that seeds of doubt are there....and it is my daily yearning that they be overcomed by the grace of God!

• 1 month later...

Q5:

The relationship God's promise to Abraham in 12: 2-3 have to do with the incident of Sarah's abduction in 20: 10-20 is that God's promise to Abraham is beginning to be fulfilled. Abraham is receiving blessings. (bless, to endure with power for success, prosperity, fecundity, longevity, etc.). Abimelech is cursed and his household until Abraham prays for God's healing. Abraham is recognized here in Sarah's abduction as a prophet (spokesman, prophet") and healer. God is in Control!

• 7 months later...

What relationship does God's promise to Abraham in 12:2-3 have to do with the incident of Sarah's abduction in 20:10-20?

God promised Abraham that he would be blessed and be a blessing and all families of the earth would be blessed through Him. This promise was possible only through Abraham's seed which would be the line that would bring forth Jesus. Much is said about Abraham's lack of faith but after reading this over many times and thinking about it I feel it would faith beyond measure, he did what he felt he had to do to stay alive until the promise was fulfilled with Isaac's birth but he knew that Sarah would be protected by God and no one could touch her for God would not allow it.

It was common in those days for Kings to claim any woman they wanted even if it meant death for the husband. Abraham knew to go where God was telling him to go there would be this danger and He arranged with Sarah to say she was his sister.

I believe Sarah knew, that they had discussed at length how God would deliver her love for Abraham led her to agree to the lie.

• 1 month later...

God reveals Himself here as One who can be trusted to stand by His word. He told Abraham that He would bless those who blessed Abraham and curse those who cursed him. I feel personally that Abraham had not been listening for God through this trip to Gerar any more than he had listened on his trip down to Egypt. Alas, who can cast the first stone? Our God is a faithful God.

• 1 month later...
Q5. (12:2-3) What relationship does God's promise to Abraham in 12:2-3 have to do with the incident of Sarah's abduction in 20:10-20?

God tells Abraham what he is going to do for him in the verses Geneesis 12:2-3, and they show that God keep his promises when Sarah was abducted. He made Abrahams name great, i am sure everyone knew who Abraham was when he and Sarah left the region. He blessed those that blessed Abraham, he removed the curse of being baron on the kings women, and, He cursed the ones who cursed Abraham, he made Pharaoh sick, he place to curse of barrne on the women.

So truely God did what he said he was going to do. Even when Abraham couldn't or didn't see it or remember it.

How awesome is that ..

• 7 months later...

Q5. (12:2-3) What relationship does God's promise to Abraham in 12:2-3 have to do with the incident of Sarah's abduction in 20:10-20?

God spared Sarah from commiting adultry for He had promisedd them a son and they w ould be the father of many nations. Abraham. tho had a holy fear of God ,he had the faith to believe God that the promise would be fulfilled. Sarah w as kept from sinning for the soul purpose of beaaring Abrahams' son which he became the father of all naations.

• 3 months later...

I don't see any relationship at all between God's promise to Abraham and Sarah's abduction other than God not allowing anything to interfere with the implementation of the promise.

It seems to me that Abraham was simply a man of faith, nevertheless, a man. He did what he could to survive which he needed to do for the promise to be fulfilled. Whether he knew this or not we don't know. What we do know is that Abraham believed God and God counted that to him for righteousness.

• 3 months later...

Abraham has made a covenant with Abraham and will be faithful just as he will be faithful to us. God is faithful even when we are not worthy. This was true for Abraham and is true for us.

• 5 months later...

God had given to Abraham a promise of an heir. As far as Abraham was concerned the mother of this heir was to be Sarah. After Sarah's abduction God removed the threat to the fulfillment of His promise to this couple.

• 5 months later...

God said that He would curse anyone who cursed Abraham. And on the otherhand, He would bless anyone who blessed Abraham. So God was looking out for Abraham and Sarah in Genesis 20:10-20.

• 2 months later...

God let Abraham know that He was still in charge and He was faithful to Abraham even though he was not strong in his faith and did not trust God. When God cursed Abimelech and showed him in a dream not to take Sarah, but return her to her husband, Abimelech was firm but gentle with Abraham. He accepted Abraham's explanation. He did not call him a liar or a cheat. Abimelech gave Sarah back plus animals and servants and told him to live where he wanted. Abraham prayed for Abimelech that he would not face the wrath of God. God heard and healed Abimelech.

• 4 weeks later...

God's plan from the beginning was to make Himself be known to all people through Abraham. That is why God made a covent with Abraham decipite the fact he had some weakness in his faith.

No matter how much we love God, certain temptations are especially difficult to resist, These are vulnerable spots in our spiritual armor. As we struggle with these weakness, we can be encourged to know that God is watching out for us just as He did for Abraham.

• 4 weeks later...
calling upon the Lord as Yahew is calling my father where are you especially when I am alone I need your guidance and salvation

We do forget God's promise to us and we do end up in great trouble tii we return to God for help and surely Abraham should not have forgotten God"s promise to him for God loved him very much ,... no matter what the situation we must always trust God Almighty

• 4 months later...

Q5. What relationship does God's promise to Abraham in 12:2-3 have to do with the incident of Sarah's abduction in 20:10-20?

God's intervention with Sarah's abductions made it possible for his promises to continue to play out despite Abraham's decision to take matters into his own hands instead of laying them into God's hands.

• 8 months later...

God intervention by speaking to Abimelech in the dream ensures that the promise given to Abraham that he will make him a great nation can be fulfilled. Furthermore, the alternatives which God gives to Abimelech if he fails to return Sarah to Abraham (basically death and destruction) and the fact that He intervenes to prevent the women of Abimelech's house having children fulfill God's promise to Abraham that He will curse those who curse Abraham. Finally, when Abimelech responds to this as described in 20 14-16, Abraham brings blessing on Abimelech by praying to God (20, 17) with the result that the women in Abimelech's house have children, this fulfilling the promise in 12 2 & 3 ".. you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you and one who curses you I will curse.." What a great and all powerful God we have!

The relationship, I think, is that we must avoid trying to fulfill God's promises in our own strength. Doing so will only result self induced problems.

• 2 weeks later...

It shows a wonderful relationship of care and promise. God promises stand forever His blessings are pure and refreshing. Abraham must have been elated with the knowledge that the true Living God had taken over his care.

The power of Abrahams relationship with God can be clearly seen when Abimelech thoughts of anger are turned to that of blessing.

Is that not true for us to day in so many areas of our life we feel alone or in a corner of our own making, and silently our Lord God moves into our situation with blessing and care and the situation changes, way beyond normal expectations.

Thank you Lord for loving me.

• 2 months later...