JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Soils and the Kingdom

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. What did Jesus intend the Parable of the Soils to teach us about the “message of the kingdom”? Why are these truths so important for keeping disciples from becoming disillusioned?

1) The message of the Kingdom will not be understood by everyone. In Jesus' time, many people thought that the kingdom that John the Baptist and later Jesus himself preached about was a physical kingdom. The Messiah they expected was a king with a physical throne who would liberate them from the rule and oppression of the Roman empire. They did not understand that the kingdom was the rule of God in our hearts and lives.

2) The message of the Kingdom will not take root in everyone. Some people will be drawn to it initially and be excited about it or lay hold to it for a short time, but they will not continue on. They will not be lifelong members of the kingdom.

3) The message of the Kingdom will not bear fruit in everyone. Some people want God to rule in their lives and accept salvation and God's reign. But then they begin to worry, or focus on wealth, or want to do things their own way and to please their own flesh. Therefore, they produce no fruit. They don't become transformed and they don't play a transforming role in the lives of others.

4) The message of the Kingdom will transform the lives of those who are receptive, understanding and persevere. They are not only members of the Kingdom, but they invite others in and as they continue to live in the Kingdom, they become more and more like the King - Jesus Christ!

These truths are important for keeping disciples disillusioned because 1) we know that it is not our own actions that determine whether or not the Truth of who Jesus is and his desire to reign in our lives takes root in someone's heart. Our role is to spread the seed, but we are not personally responsible if we do that and it does not grow. Secondly, these truths help us not to have a false illusion of our own membership in the Kingdom. It provides us with some important factors that we can use to assess God's reign in our own lives and ways that we can be more rooted in Him and more fruitful. May God help us all to serve Him with joyful dedication!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Q4. What did Jesus intend the Parable of the Soils to teach us about the “message of the kingdom”? Why are these truths so important for keeping disciples from becoming disillusioned?

As I read this question my mind went on how I sometimes feed the seagulls with left over bread from our bakery. They would all line up on the electric wire on nearby roof tops calling and waiting for me to come out. Within seconds of me throwing out the first crumb every bird is in flight toward it but only one can get it. Sometimes am there for hours throwing out crumbs but here is the interseting thing. Some of the seagulls would fly some distance away to eat and return but others would eat quickly there on the spot but then there are others who are afraid to come near or be caught up in the crowd. In some ways we are like those seagulls when it comes to the word of God. We take the word in without wanting to share it, sometimes we go aside to eat it in silence. There are reasons why some persons are not to keen in hearng the word but we must make it our business to take the word to them. The sower in this story didn't just throw seeds on the good ground he also threw seeds on stony, hard, and shallow ground.

We are not to just feed a selected group, the regular Sabbath or Sunday group but to sow where ever we go. This message is to be preached to all people, the whole world before the end comes.

In this story we can be the sower and the seed all at the same time. In our lives we know the areas in which we are weak, when the word is sown we know when its talking to us and its our duty to produce fruit in abundance so we are to get it right and not allow the cares of this world to choke the effectiveness of the word. As the sower we sometimes find it hard to preach on the streets for fear of being redicule but the work must be done.

This teaching is to let us know that no matter how many persons acept Christ after a message some will not make it. This story/lesson shows the problem areas so all we have to do is trouble shoot. Some soils will need additives and the new plants much attention until they can be left on their own.

This message of the kingdom is to inform us not to be discouraged when we see fruitlessness but continue to spread the word. It teaches us to know what areas to target and how to be more productive in bearing fruits.

If this teaching is not understood to some sowers we know what state they are in, they have become discouraged in sharing the word and is not too keen in seeing persons won to the kingdom.[/color]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For me this parable is telling me that Jesus is the Master Sower and we are the lesser sowers. He has given us a responsibility to get His Word to the WORLD to sow on EVERY KIND OF SURFACE, NOT JUST THE SURFACE WHERE YOU EXPECT GROWTH; and every Christian has this responsibility. Verse 9 of Matthew 13 says 'he who has ears to hear, let him hear. Some will listen and turn to God and some will not. According to the person there will be different degrees of success but we are not to be disillusioned or give up because the result will probably not be that overwhelming. Even though a farmer focuses on the good ground, we need to also continue to focus on the the stony places and the those among the thorns and even the ones who let it slip away from them without even noticing that Jesus has been preached to them in the first place. We do the sowing and Jesus does the harvesting. It teaches me also to examine myself to see which one of these areas I fall in and if I am in anyone except the good ground I need to seek Jesus and ask Him to help me to get to the good ground.

• 2 months later...

Q4. What did Jesus intend the Parable of the Soils to teach us about the "message of the kingdom"?

I think the intention of Jesus was to let us know that, in our desire to make all people turn to God, some will turn and others will not. thus, we should expect this to happen.

Why are these truths so important for keeping disciples from becoming disillusioned?

These truths are important as they teach us the reality and by understanding that reality, we should not be disillusioned but continue spresding the Work of God knowing that, no matter what there are seeds which will still fall on good soil.

Q4. What did Jesus intend the Parable of the Soils to teach us about the "message of the kingdom"?

I think the intention of Jesus was to let us know that, in our desire to make all people turn to God, some will turn and others will not. thus, we should expect this to happen.

Why are these truths so important for keeping disciples from becoming disillusioned?

These truths are important as they teach us the reality and by understanding that reality, we should not be disillusioned but continue spresding the Work of God knowing that, no matter what there are seeds which will still fall on good soil.

• 1 month later...

What did Jesus intend the Parable of the Soils to teach us about the "message of the kingdom"?

About the different soils (Hearts) in which the seed (Word) will fall upon but we may not know which soil people are.

Because it is to be an expected result of each of these types of soils (heart) although in the Kingdom three soils seems to not produce, there will be some good soil that will and we must continue to sow seed of the Word and the Kingdom not trying to decipher who is good ground or any other type we are just to examined fruit. Also we must see are any of these soils representing ourselves in need of Repentance.

Q4. What did Jesus intend the Parable of the Soils to teach us about the

• 9 months later...

What did Jesus intend the Parable of the Soils to teach us about the �message of the kingdom�?

The message is the same, but it will be received differently. Different people respond differently, and we are not responsible for their reaction, we are responsible to give them the message

We cant control people, we cant work in their harts. God can take over once we have done our part. We are responsible for our own salvation and for spreading the Good News. We must know not everybody will take their responsibility seriously

• 4 months later...

The message of the Kingdom is to be extravagantly and generously sown throughout all the “fields” of humanity because it is a message for all the world. Jesus knew that his disciples would be disheartened over time at the overall response and this parable was to prepare them for that. He revealed 4 conditions of the heart that affect how individuals react to this message. Knowing this ahead of time would help keep them focused and committed to the work of sharing the Gospel, even though they surely grieved at the rejection based on the mind, emotions, and will that they encountered. Also, it surely helped them tailor the presentation of the Gospel message at times, similar to understanding the personality profile of a mate or co-worker as you deal with them.

The message of the Kingdom isn’t our personal message. It is from, about, and for the King Himself ... we are just the ambassadors who are to spread it in the world. Rejection of that message is rejection of the King, not us personally. We’re called to obediently sow the Word and not focus on the results because they are in God's hands. I am certainly grateful for that! I think this parable is intended to encourage us to remain faithful and not to give up.

We think and dream in "pictures". I finally "get it" about parables! The Lord has given me several this past year when I just didn't "take in" what He's been saying to me. One day He used a dragonfly hanging by it's tongue suspended from a flower for more than 3 hours on my patio. Even when I touched it to see if it was alive, it didn't flinch or fly away. I thought "How strange!" Then the Lord spoke: "Rest in me, Abide in me, Feed on me". Then His message sunk in and with that vivid picture of the dragonfly's total body weight suspended by only it's tongue feeding on the flower, I'm mindful of my need to "Rest, abide and feed on Him", in a way that I can remember!

Given that the surroundings were agricultural when Jesus gave them the parable, and most of us are acquainted with agriculture, I believe we are to understand that the Kingdom of God is the true LIFE, and that it's invisible in it's workings, but functions just like what we see in nature. Someone must scatter the seeds, first of all.....you and I.....and to scatter them liberally even though they may not have a chance of taking root due to conditions beyond our control. He provides the sun, the moisture, the nutrients.....(through the power of the Holy Spirit according to the receptivity of the soil or heart condition of the hearer) My seed may lie idle along the path for years, but someone else may come along and sprinkle enough moisture that the seed may take root....though not all seed will endure through the growth process due to the things which choke out seed.....the enemy, Satan, does his best to starve the seed, trample it with burdens, or choke it out through other means, but we are to continue to sow, regardless of whether or not it is cultivated.

I love that the parable demonstrates that He is the one responsible for what follows our seed sowing and scattering. That frees me up to just obey and share Christ when the Holy Spirit leads. I can't "save" anyone. Only the Lord "saves". And Jesus said "No one comes to me unless My Father draws him".

I'm reminded of a Shiite Muslim man I used to pass almost every morning on my walk, and as we got acquainted gradually, I learned he'd escaped from Iran with the Shah. This led to me sharing Christ with Him. He told me how he would be judged when he gets to Heaven....with a scale where his good and bad deeds would be weighed, and how much of the Koran he'd memorized. I shared that as a believer I would not be judged because Jesus took my punishment for my sin. One day he asked if I could find a Bible for him in the Farsi language. I asked around and was given one by a former Muslim who had come to Christ, and which I gave to Davoud. Later he told me he'd read it from cover to cover, and had hidden it. I have no idea what happened spiritually for him. He was in his 80's and soon didn't come for a walk anymore. But my part was to scatter the seed, and to water as I was given opportunity and to pray for him. I had the privilege of praying with him one day for an injury he'd suffered. The results are in the Lord's hands, and of course Davoud's decision, one way or the other. I don't get discouraged if I don't see results....many choose Christ, others don't, but I scatter out of obedience, pray for those who don't know Him yet, and leave the results with the One Who saves, without disillusionment or discouragement.

Beautiful, JanMary. This post was such a blessing to read and consider!

• 7 months later...

Jesus’ intent was to teach us that how one receives the word and what they do with it, depends upon the condition of one’s heart and we should not become disappointed if one is not receptive to, or rejects the word, or doesn’t bear good fruit. He explained that believers should not be surprised by this because there are events (thorns) and circumstances (weeds) in their lives that prevent them bearing good fruit. He wants us to know that we should not and cannot stop sharing the word of God because a few did not catch on or couldn’t hang on. We are to continue working with the good soil so that our efforts do not become worthless.

• 3 months later...

This parable illustrates the process through which the kingdom message is established in our lives.  While Jesus brings the seed, it is up to us to ensure its successful planting, firstly, through the active and ongoing process of preparing the soil of our hearts and minds, and secondly, by guarding ourselves from distractions which prevent the message from taking root.  Jesus uses this parable to help prepare his followers for times when they may witness other followers' lives failing to bear fruit.  Rather than lose heart, they can allow Jesus’ illustrations to help them understand the reason for this and how to avoid doing the same.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

A.

Christ is calling His people for their obedience since He has come to deliver them.  We are not to be surprised if people just do not catch hold as disciples of His reign.

It is the hearing and understanding with a good heart that one holds and continues to do so as disciples.  It's in the good soil (heart) where the difference is made.

B.

There are some that just do not understand the message of the Kingdom at all.

There will be some who will hold on for a while, until persecution comes along because of the Word.  Since they don't have root in themselves, they will wither away.

Some will hold on until worry, money, or pleasure start chocking, then they will fall away.

There will be some where the Message of the Kingdom will be planted in good soil (hearts) and a harvestable crop will be yielded--the goal!

• 4 years later...
On 9/16/2010 at 2:35 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. What did Jesus intend the Parable of the Soils to teach us about the "message of the kingdom"? The seed is the message of the Kingdom, and the message of the King. And the message is for us, the farmers, to sow the seed fully accepting of Christ's teachings in order for us to harvest abundance.

Why are these truths so important for keeping disciples from becoming disillusioned? This is Jesus letting us know that not all are going to make to the Kingdom, whether it's through disillusionment or otherwise. 

• 3 years later...