JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Born of Water and Spirit

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (John 3:5-7) What does it mean to be �born of water and the Spirit�?

To become a new person, with new ideas, a new will and new goals. When you are bptized you receive the Holy Spirit as a Guide and a teacher in your new life and walk with God.

What do you think �water� refers to?

Baptism. To be born again, but also to change your ways, your life, your character. Throughout the Bible water and the Holy Spirit is associated with each other. It starts in Gen. We see it in the Old and the New testament. Here again the 2 goes together. When we are baptized we receive the Holy Spirit.

Why have you come to this conclusion?

Jesus said numerous times that we must be baptized. In this case He is teaching of how to enter the kingdom. You cannot enter the Kingdom if you dont accept Jesus as your Saviour, if you don't repent, if you don't forgive others and if you don't confess your sins. baptism represents all of this and should go with all of this.

How, then, would you paraphrase �born of water and the Spirit� to best bring out the meaning?

When we are baptized in water we must receive the Holy Spirit at the same time. We must be baptized as soon as we accept Christ as our Saviour. In the ible we see each Baptism was on the same day, even the same hour the person accepted Christ as their Saviour. When we accept Christ and the Holy Spirit, our spirit must be new and changed.

• 3 months later...

Nicodemus would have been well-aware of John the Baptist’s proclamation to Israel of a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins in preparation for the coming/revealing of the Son of God. This was the water baptism, and Jesus declared it to be the first step of obedience in identifying with the death of the old nature and birth of the new spiritual nature for all who would follow in believing and repenting of sin. I used to think this reference of being “born of water” referred to physical birth, but for some time have come to understand it as the birth of acknowledging sin and humbling yourself before God in repentance.

Jesus was revealing to Nicodemus the Kingdom requirement of a second kind of birth as the Spirit of God birthed new spiritual life in one who has repented of sin and received forgiveness through Messiah. This is the birth of the new everlasting life that can never die and will exist with God for eternity.

My paraphrase of “born of water and the Spirit” would be the birth of humble repentance with assured forgiveness, and the birth of glorious regeneration as the Spirit gives the new heart and living spirit that loves and obeys Yahweh (Ezekiel 36:26-28).

• 7 months later...

Being born of water and spirit is a process. First, God calls us out of the world, we accept Jesus as the Son of God, the work He did on the cross, and repentance of sin. Then comes the water baptism or “purification or regeneration”, as a type of death washing away the “old man”/sinful life. The spiritual birth (or second birth) could be immediate or delayed; it is “spiritual” not physical and occurs when God decides. Many people accept Jesus, experience the water baptism but not the spiritual baptism at the same time. God may wait years before He decides to baptize a believer with His Spirit, which can be a major life change. First, we are physically born in the flesh of sinful man, and then we must be re-born in the spirit by God’s Spirit before we can enter His kingdom because flesh is not welcome in the Kingdom of God (flesh gives birth to flesh, spirit to spirit). I would paraphrase “born of water and Spirit” as: baptism by water first to bury the “old self” and an awakening of one’s spirit, then one can be “transformed by the renewing of the mind” by continuing to wash in the Word of God.

• 11 months later...

To be born of water and the spirit is Holy Baptism.  I think water refers to Jesus as the living water.  So it is poured over the head or we are immersed in it.  Jesus the living water is now all over us and His Spirit dwells within us.    Just as I said I would explain by being baptized we are immersed in our Savior as the living water and we are filled with his Holy Spirit,

• 1 year later...

"Jesus answered, 'I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives Birth to spirit. You should not be surprised at my saying, "You must be born again"'" (John 3:5-7).

We find from the Scripture that Christ means the spiritual and not the physical birth.  Several meanings are considered in connection with this Scripture: "Christian Baptism; Procreation; and Repentance and Purification."

Our author points out that the "most natural interpretation is to take 'water and Spirit' to refer to the ministry of John the Baptist who preached 'a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins'" (Mark 1:4).

What does the "water" mean/refers to?"  Does it mean "the water of the Christian baptism," "the bag of water in the womb," or "washing and cleansing?"  I lean toward the "washing and cleansing."  I like the thought/idea of my sins being washed away: "a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins."

With this thinking, the same ones who required Jewish proselytes to be baptized would have to go through with themselves.  They saw no need for it themselves, but John the Baptist thought differently.  To me "water" has to do with "cleansing."

Nicodemus you have spent your life trying to keep the law, to work your righteousness, but now you must repent and humble yourself before God that He might work in you a newness that you will understand as being born anew.  That's the only way you can enter the Kingdom Of God; it's not what you can do--it's what He can do for/in you.