JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Born of Water and Spirit

Q3. (John 3:5-7) What does it mean to be "born of water and the Spirit"?

Jesus said "What is born of flesh is flesh", or physical. Born of water and the Spirit refers to that which takes place when the Holy spirit, (the Hound of Heaven) chases us down, convicts us of sin and our need for a Savior, we repent and surrender to His Lordship, are born again (or anew), where Jesus takes up residence inside us, and Salvation gives us entrance into the Kingdom of God.

What do you think "water" refers to?

Water is a necessity to sustain life. It is used to hydrate, and cleanse. When Jesus lives inside, He promised us that out of our inmost being would flow rivers of LIVING water, to "hydrate" others and lead them to His "cleansing" and new life in Him. The Holy Spirit is the Living water. In John 19:34, when thrust through with the spear while on the cross, blood and water gushed forth from His side. His blood cleanses us and His living water sustains us (continually hydrates our spirit-man, refreshes us, convicts us, renews us, comforts us, and flows out to do the same for others in our sphere of influence) It's a "word picture" to help us grasp that which we can't "see". (As Jesus explained to Nicodemus "The wind (or Spirit) blows (or breathes) where it wills and though you hear its sound you know not where it came from or where it goes".)

Why have you come to this conclusion?

John explained where he said 'Jesus stood and He cried in a loud voice, If any man is thirsty, let him come to Me and drink! He who believes in Me as the Scripture has said, From his innermost being shall flow (continuously) springs and rivers of living water'. But He was speaking here of the SPIRIT, Whom those who believed in Him were afterward to receive. For the Holy Spirit had not yet been given, because Jesus was not yet glorified". John 7:37-39.

In Ephesians 5:26 it tells us that "He sanctifies her (His bride, the church) having cleansed her by the washing of water with the Word, that He might present the church to Himself in glorious splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such things that she might be holy and faultless". Again, it refers to the Holy Spirit, washing us as we read, hear, teach the Word of God. (I've sensed His washing cleaning the "dust" from me as I've studied this lesson)

How, then, would you paraphrase "born of water and the Spirit" to best bring out the meaning?

I would clumsily say "born again by His blood, sustained by His Spirit".

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (John 3:5-7) What does it mean to be "born of water and the Spirit"? What do you think "water" refers to? Why have you come to this conclusion? How, then, would you paraphrase "born of water and the Spirit" to best bring out the meaning?

Answer:

1.What does it mean to be "born of water and the Spirit"? What do you think "water" refers to?

I also think about baptism as the meaning of water..But now I believe that your(Dr. Ralph) explanation is the most viable one..That to be born of water and the Spirit,is something to do with repentance,changing ones mind,as Jesus is speaking with Nicodemus,a Pharisee whose teaching and belief on the obedience to the Law,and earning Salvation through Merit or Work is at Center of their Religion.

So Jesus is telling him,

Q3. (John 3:5-7) What does it mean to be "born of water and the Spirit"? What do you think "water" refers to? Why have you come to this conclusion? How, then, would you paraphrase "born of water and the Spirit" to best bring out the meaning?

John 3:5-7 - 5 Jesus answered,

To be born of the sprit and water means a change brought abut by the spirit of God and the repentance of sin brought about through humility.

By 'water' it means repentance through humility as was in the case water batism which requires humity to go through the process of dipping into water as a sign of submission to God.

a)To be born of water and spirit is a direct correlation to the Holy Spirit and receiving-being baptized by His Spirit.

b)Water refers to the physical baptism and displays an act of faith of what we believe Christ has done for us, also water is symbolic of Holy Spirit.

c)My conclusion for this answer is based upon the following scripture,

The words are similiar as "born again" " born anew" "born from above"'.Born again has been most used through the world and has been accepted in most circles. Born anew menans that there is a new beginning and the belief that you are expected to bear frit.Born from above may reminds some of Jesus baptism wnen the Spirit came upon hin fro above and lighted on Him.The last tells that there may a greater emphasis on the Holy Spirit i your new life

Well I have to ad mit that this question caused me to dig deeper than I have been in a very long time. I answered on the last question what was the best translation "born again," "born anew," or "born from above and I had chosen born from above, thinking that I was born in the spirit which I have claimed now for the last five years. After my study, I have come to a new conclusion that because Yahushua spoke about being born of water and of the Spirit before one can see the kingdom, I have a whole different thought.

What do you think "water" refers to? I think the water refers to the washing of the body through the word and the work of the Holy Spirit while we live here on this earth. Every 'man' is born of water in the womb, but Yahushua obviously knows this and so does Nicodemus, so I don't see why Yahushua would point this out. Too me , it would be redundant. All man is born of water, so I dont think Jesus meant the physical birth of human kind, although I used to think this.

Why have you come to this conclusion? Notice that Yahusha says that which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. I dont believe that we will be born of the spirit until we leave these earthy bodies, where the Holy Spirit is residing in the present, performing the work of transformation. I dont think the transformation will be complete until just before the earth is re-birthed as we read in: Re 21:1 ¶ And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea. I think that is when we will be spirit filled bodies because the human bodies are flesh and blood and flesh and blood can not enter heaven, where ever that may be.

The reason we must be born again is because Adam was created in God's image. God's image as we find out is 'Spirit' that moved upon the face of the waters, as is written in verse two of Genesis, chapter one.

Adam was formed of the dust of the ground and then God breathed into his nostrils the 'breath of life' and man became a living 'soul'. God and Adam had a relationship of mirror reflection, because Adam (man) was made in God's image. God saw in Adam, His own reflection. Adam in return, saw in God, his own reflection. Once, Adam and Eve partook of the forbidden fruit, Adam could no longer see his reflection in God and apparently hid from God's view as well, because God called out to Adam, "Where art thou?"

Adam became a reflection of sin because of disobedience. Disobedience, separates mankind from it's creator. To be placed back into God's image, we must become born into His image by being born all over again, by the Spirit. This places us back into alignment with where He first created us to be. This is a choice that we each have to make. We are not born into His Spirit, until we make that conscience choice to be born again.

Many religions, cause humanity to misunderstand being born again as a Christian. Some religions, make humanity think that because their parents were a member of the church, were baptized in the church, makes them think that they too, are a Christian, because they were born into that church.

For instance, a mother who is baptized by her own parents priest, as a child, goes to the same church as her parents, grows up in that church, hearing the word from the pulpit and living her life the best she can under those circumstances, then raises her own children in that church. Did being baptized make her born again? She, the same as her parents did, has her own children baptized by the priest, and begins to raise her own children in that same church. Has she or her own children become a Christian? The answer is no.

Being baptized does not make anyone a Christian any more than a chunk of dough being dunked in oil, makes them a doughnut. In order to be a doughnut, you have to have been created from a doughnut recipe. Going to church all of our life does not make us a Christian anymore than going to McDonalds makes us a cheeseburger.

God has made a way for us to come back into our predestined reflective state and that is, we each must make our own decision, based on truth. God is Spirit. We must worship Him (our creator) in Spirit and in truth.

How, then, would you paraphrase "born of water and the Spirit" to best bring out the meaning? Unless a person submits to this original creationthe 'wind-hovering-over-the-water' creation, the invisible moving the visible, a baptism into a new lifeit's not possible to enter God's kingdom.

When you look at a baby, it's just that: a body you can look at and touch. But the person who takes shape within, is formed by something you can't see and touchthe Spiritand becomes a living spirit.

I think what is happening is that we are receiving the breath of life all over again, and now our breath comes from the Holy Spirit. We are daily being cleansed through the washing of the word. Eph 5:26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, ‘IT’ being the church, the body of Christ.

• 2 weeks later...

Being born of water and Spirit means one is cleansed of his sins. I think water refers to pure water in which one is immersed when one is being baptised, which John himself used to baptise people in the River jordan. I have come to conclude this because I can't relate anything to water as used in the context. When one is baptised with water, it's not what makes him holy. The forgiveness of sins which is the Spiritual baptism makes him holy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

3a)Water/amniotic fluid represents human birth.Living water represents Holy Spirit. When Jesus was baptised in River Jordan, by John the Baptist, he was first baptised by water poured over him & as this was done the Holy Spirit came & filled him with the Spirit. In the ministry of John the Baptist, he baptised with water, because before the Holy Spirit had not yet been given. All of us who put our trust in Jesus, his bride, the church are cleansed by his blood, the Holy Sprit washing us as we read/hear the Word of God, changing us so we can be presented to God blemish free. smile.gif b)Water refers to cleansing, purification & forgiveness of our sins. C)We are cleansed by His blood in his mercy, submitting to God in repentance we receiving power of holy spirit to live new life in Him. You can

• 1 month later...

I agree with p. Ralph's analysis on this matter - that the water is John the Baptist's baptism of renewal. The "spirit" is the new renewal that Jesus has laid on top of the physical baptism - the spirit of God that descended on Jesus like a dove when he was baptised by John.

I also think that John may be using this passage to anchor the early Christian practice of baptism in Jesus' direct teachings. Therefore, my paraphrase:

You must be physically baptised and the Spirit must enter you.

• 3 months later...

I think it means to be purified and receive the holy spirit.

What do you think "water" refers to?

I think "water" refers to the process of purification.

Why have you come to this conclusion?

I came to this conclusion by the fact that, water is used to cleanse, to make something pure and Jesus taught that, we cant enter the Kingdom if we dont receive the power of the Holy Spirit.

How, then, would you paraphrase "born of water and the Spirit" to best bring out the meaning?

I can paraphrase as folows: " purified and empowered by the Spirit".