JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Treasured Possession

5a)It gives me good thoughts,memories of good treasured times past,a warm homely feeling inside,I’m part of a bigger picture.

B)God as a high king chose the people of Israel as a treasured possession,to form an agreement with, covenanting that he would protect them from their attackers and lead them to the promised land if they fulfil certain obligations he gives them.

C)It makes me humble,special to know I’ve been chosen, a real honour to be priviledged to be given gift of faith and hope for now &eternity,rescued from the hold of sin,forgiven and assured a heavenly eternity with Christ. I’m conscious of the awesome responsibility to keep my part of the agreement,to live for him in his ways freed from darkness,with help of Holy Spirit guiding me &sharing the good news with others pointing them to the one true God..

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From an emotional standpoint, what does it feel like to take out and look over one of your treasured possessions? OWNERSHIP, PROTECT FROM HARM, JOY

How was the idea of "treasured possession" fulfilled in Israel? GOD SET ISRAEL APART AS HIS TREASURE.

What does it feel like to be God's treasured possession -- as we Christians clearly are according to 1 Peter 2:9?

HE WILL PROTECT US FROM ALL CURSES.

• 1 year later...

Looking over treasured possessions brings good memories in obtaining them in addition to the delight and joy in possessing them. 

It seems that God takes great delight and joy when humans adopt His heart and take on His ways and standards and honor Him.  In a sinful, selfish satanic world order, Israel would become His treasured possessions if Israel would take on His ways and follow Him.  In the long run Israel as a whole would not do this.

Through Jesus the Messiah, the only begotten Son of God, the privilege of being God's special people is opened to all who trust in Jesus. There is much peace, joy, and security in this knowledge and relationship.

• 9 months later...

Q1. (Exodus 19:5; 1 Peter 2:9) From an emotional standpoint, what does it feel like to take out and look over one of your treasured possessions?

It is such a great and pleasurable feeling, full of memories. It is something that I care for deeply and give the greatest of care to.

How was the idea of treasured possession fulfilled in Israel?

This was fulfilled through covenants before and with Israel. Covenants are a two way agreement. God's covenants are set up by Him with conditions and promises and the people agree to keep it that way. God's promise was that if the people fulfilled their end of the covenant that they would be His treasured possession.

What does it feel like to be Gods treasured possession as we Christians clearly are according to 1 Peter 2:9? 

For me it is still sinking in. It is so awesome. All it takes is obedience and faith and your life is beautiful. This is very lightly put as words cannot express the awesomeness of His covenant with His people.

• 2 years later...

lesson 5, Q 1:

A. It is fulfilling and joyful seeing ones " Treasured Possession." Just like a father watches his child.

B. The idea of treasured possession was fulfilled when the Israelites assembled at mt. Sinai before God and agreed to do all he ( God ) has commanded them through Moses.

C. It feels great, honor to be Gods own property.

Lesson 5, Q2:

A. Priests are Gods representative in the old Testament

B. I am a priest in the sense that I am born again washed in the precious blood of Jesus Christ and I also serve in my local Church.

C. To function as priest one need to be actively participate in the services of God.

D. I am a royal priest because I belong to Yahweh the king.

E. Recognizing God voice the more

• 1 year later...

Because I am saved by God's grace and mercy, I am his child and have a right to eternal life with him in glory. If I walk in the beauty of holiness as required. I am a shining light of His glory, not mine.  I was created in his image to give him glory and to do his will and I want all I say and do be well pleasing in his sight.  "for we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good work, which God prepared before hand, that we would walk in them". We are chosen to be shinning examples of the goodness of God and to live our lives according to his purpose, so that others will see the God we serve and want to be servants of him....  We should be the shinning treasure that he takes out and look at and say " here is my servant with whom I am will pleased".  " Let your light so shine before men that they may see your good works, and glorify our father which is in heaven". We are His chosen people, as were the children of Israel whom he chose to tell the world of Him and his goodness and to be the living proof of a living and loving God who cares and provides for his own, when we trust and obey and do his will.  We are his witnesses to unbelievers, to show his power and greatness and he blesses us accordingly.  We are to tell the world of Him and to lift Him up before men, so that He can draw all men unto him.

• 4 years later...

Q1. (Exodus 19:5; 1 Peter 2:9)

From an emotional standpoint, what does it feel like to take out and look over one of your treasured possessions?

How was the idea of "treasured possession" fulfilled in Israel?

What does it feel like to be God's treasured possession -- as we Christians clearly are according to 1 Peter 2:9?

If I understand the first question correctly, you are asking about a thing or an item, not as I understand Israel to be called.  Then it would be old photos which bring back memories of treasured times with families and friends.  I am afraid  it doesn't often happen as it is sometimes too overwhelming.  The heart becomes so full and so emotional but at the same time grateful to God for His love and kindness to  us.  It is not always easy to handle the situation.  The other treasure is my Bible, which has been my companion through thick and thin. Unfortunately it is falling to pieces.  

God showed again and again in spite of their disobedience and falling away that Israel was a treasured possession.  He has not thrown them away or discarded them.  He sent Moses as a deliverer to them to lead them out of the slavery they were in when the time was right.  In spite of their complaining  He did not wipe them out.  He showed them that He treasured them.  They were given food which was full of nourishment. No substitute was needed.  Their clothes did not grow into shreds.  The shoes did not wear out.  They were indeed a treasured possession.

Because Christ died for me and I accepted this gift of life, poured forth by His grace, He really has proved His words to hold weight, that I belong to part of those termed to be a treasured possession.  It is truly overwhelming and blessed to be part of God's treasured possession.

• 1 year later...

I have no physical treasures.

I do have things I like such as my huge collection of books and some paintings, but if the house burned down, I wouldn't grieve (much). I like the way books look on shelves, randomly sized and coloured -- it's a beautiful sight, really -- and the way my art looks on the walls when the light from the windows strikes them in a certain way. 

Perhaps it's possible to make something into a treasure by investing yourself in it, for example, spending hours scrubbing and rescrubbing the words of a poem. That poem becomes a treasure to give away to someone who may also treasure it. 

To me, people are not treasures though they can be precious. 

(I've met two people in the last year who both admitted they wished their homes would burn down so they could be free from the burden of the things they've collected. One of them was a relatively well-known artist who has hundreds of paintings that never sold and are gathering dust on her porch.)