JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Growing through Crisis

Corinthians 1:9-10) How does facing a harrowing crisis help us grow in the Lord? How has a crisis helped your spiritual life? What is the value of learning not to rely on ourselves? What does this do to our pride? How does this improve our effectiveness as God’s servants?

My life right now is about spending all the free time I can waiting for GOD to advise me and help me. He is asking me to be a lot more flexible and to see situations differently, about how the others feel and what they need in the moment, it is not about my fears or needs, He expects more of me than what I've been able to do. Fortunately he loves me so much, I just wish he could make me like Jesus now, but I don't know what I 'm asking for.

It si great to grow up in Christ, and it is challenging to understand how to respond to His callings. Still the others are needing things from me and I must be up to the task, and need GOD to help me.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Facing harrowing crisis help you grow in the lord by trust him and his word to get you through the crisis that you are going throught.

A crisis have help me to depend on God more because nooone was there but he was.The vaule of help us not to depend on ourselves have help because he is the one to rely on not ourslef or other.Going through a crisis help get rid of all the pride that one person can have.

This improve our witness because we can relate to a person that is going through something that wr have been through.

Q2. (2 Corinthians 1:9-10) How does facing a harrowing crisis help us grow in the Lord? How has a crisis helped your spiritual life? What is the value of learning not to rely on ourselves? What does this do to our pride? How does this improve our effectiveness as God’s servants?

a. you learn to place your faith in Him.  To trust Him more fully.

b. Strengthens my faith.  Even though the crisis did not resolve as I wanted or hoped, looking back, I see Gods wisdom, His hand helping me, so my faith in His goodness and mercy is stronger.

c. We are human, full of mistakes, sins, and errors.  God is omnipotent.  He knows best.  We must trust him totally.

d. It humbles us to realize we can't do things or live our lives without Gods help.  We can exist, but not live to the fullest.

e. Approching others with humbleness instead of boastfulness or pride helps you relate to others, talk to others.  Having been thru crisis in our lives, we can relate to others as they live thru theirs, encouraging them in their faith.  

Q2. (2 Corinthians 1:9-10) How does facing a harrowing crisis help us grow in the Lord? How has a crisis helped your spiritual life? What is the value of learning not to rely on ourselves? What does this do to our pride? How does this improve our effectiveness as God’s servants?Learning the limits of flesh,growing to understand the POWER of GODS SPIRIT...Deeper relationship with JESUS...I have come to understand that the most valuable possession WE have is GODS SPIRIT in US,i was on the path of forsaking it...Humbles it...As John the Baptist said"I must decrease so JESUS can INCREASE"

Q2. (2 Corinthians 1:9-10) How does facing a harrowing crisis help us grow in the Lord? How has a crisis helped your spiritual life? What is the value of learning not to rely on ourselves? What does this do to our pride? How does this improve our effectiveness as God’s servants

Facing a harrowing crisis help us to realize just how much we need the Lord. There are times when we are depending on our own strength. With God all things are possible. It has helped my spiritual growth by teaching me to depend on God from where all my help comes. Pride before the fall...so just throw pride out the window. When we humble ourselves God can use us as His servant especially when telling others about the Good News.

How does facing a harrowing crises help us grow in the Lord? Well, by realizing that after enduring the pain no more, our stubbornness from being self-reliant disappears and we realize the truth, "that GOD is better" in handling our crises. By coming to that conclusion, we now know to rely on GOD during such situations as the only way and then to praise HIM for it.

How has a crises helped my spiritual life? It helped me "DEPEND". It helped me depend on the name of my savior JESUS. It helped me depend on the help of the HOLY SPIRIT. It helped me depend on praying to GOD. My spiritual life is improving due to the crises, and GOD gives me enough strength to handle them.

The value of learning "not to rely on ourselves" is so paramount to our spiritual life. Our walk with GOD depends on it.

What does it do our pride? For the lack of a better term,, "it destroys our pride", thank GOD! It exposes how weak and insignificant pride is in our spiritual life. We turn away from it, ask for forgiveness, rejoice in GOD's strength and steadfast love.

How does this improve our effectiveness as God's servants? :0) By having pride out of the way, by depending on God, we are able to help others that are going through crises themselves. Encouraging them without blemished intentions, knowing in our hearts that we are serving exactly the way GOD wants us to.

Note** please, please forgive me for my run on sentences punctuation. At least you get my drift with my answers. Thank you. ;o)

Q2. Growing through Crisis

Any crisis that I undergo no matter how trivial or otherwise, just reconfirms time and again that I can do anything with Him by my side. Every positive outcome, and there is never a negative! is a witness to His love and as I walk with Him on a daily basis I grow to love Him more and more. It's like being a child I suppose, which is what we are really in His eyes, and as a child I just know that I have the love and support of my Father in Heaven and my love for Him just grows and grows.

Having been a nominal Christian for most of my life, the death of my wife (who was born again) from cancer in 2004 brought me face to face with Him. If ever there was a crisis in my life then it was then. He lifted me up, He showed me the way and He opened my eyes. He has since brought another Christian woman into my life and I am now remarried and together we walk in the way of the Lord as he enables us on a daily basis. Oh what joy!

One thing I do know and that is, that even the non Christian realises that "you can't go it alone". Once, many years ago whilst out sailing, we lost our steering and we were in a storm. Whilst battling to keep things under control and trying to stay calm there was a lot of panic from the novice crew that were with us. Some were crying out to God for help and I as a non Christian as I was then, was not, I was just getting on with the job at hand not wanting to admit that I needed help, well the seed was planted because we came through and I realise that even then He was with me and my pride just wouldnt let me see it. What a fool I was! Today I will not leave the house without saying a prayer, I am not a fool anymore and know just who is in control of my life. All of life's trials are witness to His love and support of us, and as mentioned in my previous post "He will never leave us or forsake us" what better testimony can we give to others than this," He died so that we might have life". and as His servant I will serve to the best of my ability, to spread the good news.

Emanuel

Q2. (2 Corinthians 1:9-10) How does facing a harrowing crisis help us grow in the Lord? How has a crisis helped your spiritual life? What is the value of learning not to rely on ourselves? What does this do to our pride? How does this improve our effectiveness as God’s servants?

When troubles and crisis overwhelm us we are forced to go to God and pray and trust like never before. It is in these times of trial that we can grow if we just decide to trust God, and he always comes through. Trials show us our weakness and how pathetic we are compared to the Lord our God, they take away our foolish pride and humble us. God allows these things in our lives to refine us, a humble, willing and obedient heart is what he wants to fashion in us.

What I have learned is this: He is big and I am little. He is my strength and my song. He is the light of my salvation. He is my stronghold in times of trouble. If He is for me, who can be against me? Simply stated: He has given me the gift of faith...and I trust Him. As far as pride goes -- it is like a weed. I ask Him to mow it down daily...and I keep a look out for "weedlings."

I love the way Paul describes how God uses life’s difficulties to strengthen and encourage Him. He summarizes God’s intention in verse 9 – “that we might rely on God and not on ourselves,” and we know God can handle the crisis because He has the power to “raise the dead.” Then, in verse 10, Paul makes it practical by reminding himself and us that God “has delivered” - “will deliver” - and that give us hope that He “will continue to deliver” His children from difficulties of life. When we trust God to handle the little things, He is faithful, and His faithfulness gives us hope that He will also handle the big things. It makes me more effective because I quit trying to handle crisis on my own and begin to rely on His strength, power, and wisdom.

Q2. (2 Corinthians 1:9-10) How does facing a harrowing crisis help us grow in the Lord?

From the many the Lord has brought me through I'm growing in grace and the knowledge of His Character, and my lack of....

How has a crisis helped your spiritual life?

Each one has helped to crucify my flesh...and it's desires, willfulness, opinions, and ego. With each "crushing" of those, He's gained more of a foothold and is now my Stronghold, while the strongholds birthed through an unsaved life apart from Him, are shrinking in number and strength. Each crisis has revealed my weakness and His Strength, my poverty and His Riches, my pride and need for His Humility, my ignorance and His Wisdom, my impotence, no matter how strong the will, and His Power and Might to deliver and uphold me.

What is the value of learning not to rely on ourselves?

For me the value has been to teach me that "apart from Him I can do nothing of eternal value". I've learned that His analogy of sheep and Shepherd is spot on! I don't know from up and He knows all there is to know about all there is to know, and I thrive when I follow only where He leads. He hasn't designed me to know or to figure out the future and since He lives there, it's safe to trust Him no matter which cliff I seem about to fall over!

What does this do to our pride?

He crucifies it....IF I allow it. I can see why He hates pride. I just saw it rear it's ugly head in me several weeks ago, and when He put His gentle finger on it, I was quick to ask for cleansing and forgiveness. I hated seeing it in myself. It's so silly anyway, given who we are....and WHO HE IS!

How does this improve our effectiveness as God’s servants?

When I'm in right relationship with Him and have a clear perspective of who...or WHOSE I am, I can function as His vessel to flow through, (rather than thinking I am THE vessel), then fruit is manifested for the kingdom. Fruit is what He's after and since the crises have caused me to grow in Him, I want what He wants more than what I thought I wanted!

A harrowing crisis will help us grow in the Lord when we lay the crisis at the cross, and realize it is beyond our control.

I have learned the hard way, when i tried to "fix things" myself, these were my greatest failures. When I trusted God and gave the entire mess to him and had faith.....I have seen my greatest miracles. I have been through many crisis in my years, both of my own doing and with my children and grandchildren. It teaches me patience, endurance, trust and faith. I have learned I am NOTHING without God, but with him all things are possible. It has taught me to be prideful is to sin, to be humbled can be my life or I will face things that will humble me. I believe this improves our effectiveness by being a good witness of what God has done in our lives, and to not judge others and to come along side of them in prayer and faith.

When we are facing a crisis, we fal to our knees and ask for our LORDS help, We pray harder and Fast. You grow in HIM when you seek him consistently and you learn that you can not do it with out HIM. When you are a christian you know you need Jesus so Pride is not a question. It improves you completely and want to learn and do more.

The Lord never said He would bear our burdens for us; but that He would be there to help us bear them. It's knowing that He is on my side that helps me get through tough stuff. And it's only when the crisis has passed that you can see that there may have been a purpose in it. I truly believe that God called me to salvation to give me the strength to support the rest of the (unsaved!) family when my grand-daughter died. While I was proud that He had chosen me for that task, I feel very humbled that He chooses to help me when I need Him. I know that I can't (and, thank God, don't have to) rely on my own strength, and that's something I can pass on to others. Reliance on His strength has drawn me closer to Him, and I'm getting even closer day by day.

How does facing a harrowing crisis help us grow in the Lord? How has a crisis helped your spiritual life? What is the value of learning not to rely on ourselves? What does this do to our pride? How does this improve our effectiveness as God’s servants?

When we are faced with harrowing crisis, we see how powerless we are to help ourselves. Then we turn to God. We learn that we should rely on HIm and as He delivers us our faith grows more each and every day. In my spiritual walk with God I have learn to just turn it over to Him. He has never failed me yet. I have always been a humble person. It does not bother me to let God take contol. At least, I know things will be done right. When problems arise, we will turn to God rather than away from Him.

Going through crisis of any kind reminds me that I am not in control-God is! I am glad He is, too! It's hard admitting that I can do nothing on my own-I fail miserably! I mess everything up. I can't get it right.

When we give it up, and let God handle it, everything works out just like it should. We get in a big hurry, and we want everything to happen right now. Read the story about Abraham and his wife Sara. Not good! Waiting is hard, but it is smart!<p class="ipsLikeBar right clearfix">

Q2. (2 Corinthians 1:9-10) How does facing a harrowing crisis help us grow in the Lord?

Ans - James 1:2-4 gives my answer - "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

Ans - It brought me face to face with my human frailties, and that the ONLY answer was through God, and the power of the Holy Spirit. Five years ago I came face to face with my addiction to ***********. When I face my problem with absolute surrender to God He has has given me complete deliverance, and is continuing to renew me in mind and heart daily

What is the value of learning not to rely on ourselves? What does this do to our pride? How does this improve our effectiveness as God’s servants? Ans - In our flesh we cannot conquer life's biggest problems. It is a humbling experience to lay it all at his feet, and allow Him to take over, and continue to do that on a daily basis week in and week out, month in and month out. It takes much discipline and commitment. Only then can we experience freedom in Him, and be tuned in to His presence and power.

Ans - James 1:2-4 gives my answer - "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

Ans - It brought me face to face with my human frailties, and that the ONLY answer was through God, and the power of the Holy Spirit. Five years ago I came face to face with my addiction to ***********. When I face my problem with absolute surrender to God He has has given me complete deliverance, and is continuing to renew me in mind and heart daily

What is the value of learning not to rely on ourselves? What does this do to our pride? How does this improve our effectiveness as God’s servants? Ans - In our flesh we cannot conquer life's biggest problems. It is a humbling experience to lay it all at his feet, and allow Him to take over, and continue to do that on a daily basis week in and week out, month in and month out. It takes much discipline and commitment. Only then can we experience freedom in Him, and be tuned in to His presence and power.

We as Gods children fall on our knees praying to Him in Crisis. We pray for protection, we pray for strength and acceptance. We cry to the lord of our troubles, asking for forgiveness and help through them. When I lost my children to state custody, I lost god and everything faithful in my life, it was the day I found out I lost custody of them that I fell to my knees begging for forgiveness, asking for a second chance. I was saved that day. And Now this day I feel peace. I know God will help me get my children back. When we rely on ourselves we are relying on Satan. When we rely on God, we have faith and love to carry us through anything.

At the onset of the storm of a harrowing crisis, I find respite in quiet prayer time with God asking for His guidance and help. Sometimes the Holy Spirit comes to me easily and the storm abates. Sometimes not. This is pretty testing but I just take a deeper breathe and continue to ask for God's help. No answer means I am going the wrong way and although very painful, it is time to take stock and re-evaluate. My relationship with God gives me the space and calm to find the path that I am meant to be on. I have found God to be the only source of trust and hope no matter what I face. As a servant of God......still working on this but any little way I can be worthyto serve Him makes is all worthwhile.

We're forced to rely in God when we can't do it ourselves. Pretty harsh way of doing it but sometimes God must think it's the only way to get us to let go and let God have His way.

To be honest, I can't say that it has. I've had some major crises (they are plural) in my life and these days I'm divorced (God hates divorce but still let it happen to me) and not attending Church. These days my spiritual contact with others is limited to online places like this.

What is the value of learning not to rely on ourselves?

Having said the above, I will also comment that I have come to rely on God more and my own wits less. That's less stressful for me, knowing that God is running things.

What does this do to our pride?

When I know God has made things happen for me I can't take pride in anything I do. It's all God's doing so I don't feel pride in anything I might achieve with His help.

How does this improve our effectiveness as God’s servants?

I'll let you know. Seriously, I have a ministry of sorts. Christian giving. God has made it possible for me to support a couple of ministries. That's about all a divorced man could hope for. I mean, I can't be a witness to how God has helped me in family life. All I have is my little one man show.

I have found out that when I go through a crisis, I lean more on God to get me through than my own strengths. I've found that if I rely on my own self to get me through, I fail miserably. I can't do it. And I just make it worse than it was. It has a tendency to humble me drastically. I feel too inadequate to take care of the situation, therefore, I lean more on God to get me through to the other side and I remember that when I reach the other side and look back, I will see God was there every step of the way, even though there may be times I don't feel that when I'm going through it. I tend to remember His promises of never leaving or forsaking me more and holding onto that.

Answer:

1. How does facing a harrowing crisis help us grow in the Lord?

It strengthen us,and make us more patience,and persevere in all things.

2 How has a crisis helped your spiritual life?

It make me more trusting on the Lord and not on my own understanding..(Proverbs 3:5- Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not rely on your own understanding).

Isaiah 55:8-9- Indeed, my plans are not like your plans, and my deeds are not like your deeds, for just as the sky is higher than the earth, so my deeds are superior to your deeds and my plans superior to your plans.

3 What is the value of learning not to rely on ourselves? What does this do to our pride?

It make us humble…and to rely completely on the God’s promises and to His Words..knowing that He has the power to do the impossible…and what is impossible to us is possible with God..that there is nothing too hard with our God…that without Jesus…WE CAN DO NOTHING ON OUR OWN:

Jeremiah 32:27-Behold, I [am] the LORD, the God of all flesh: is there any thing too hard for me?

Luke 18:27- …The things which are impossible with men are possible with God

Romans 4:21- He was fully convinced that what God promised he was also able to do.

John 15:5- I am the vine; you are the branches. The one who remains in me – and I in him – bears much fruit, because apart from me you can accomplish nothing

4 How does this improve our effectiveness as God’s servants?

Jesus said  through Apostle paul..when we are in Christ that we are no longer Servants but SONS OF GOD..

Galatians 4:4- But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,

But Christ freed us from the law

5 To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons 6 And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying Abba, Father

therefore we are servants no longer to it

7 Wherefore thou art no more a servant, but a son and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ.

Apostle Paul tells us that JESUS HIMSELF is the source of HIS EPISTLES..and if he says that we are no longer a Servant then so be it..

Gal 1:12- (For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught [it], but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

1. Facing a harrowing crisis helps us grow by causing a crisis of faith. We have to look at the situation and realize we can't do it on our own power then we have to decide if we are going to put our trust in God to help us in the situation. We have to look at it from God's point of view instead of ours in the midst of the storm. God can see the whole situation and then outcome that will bring him glory. We have to then decide if we are going to keep trying to fix it ourselves or trust God and join him in what he wants to accomplish through this trial. The more we decide to put our trust in him the stonger our failth grows.

2. I have had several crisis to go through and each time it has driven me into God's word and into his loving presence. Sometimes it has even taken me to God's "woodshed" so to speak and it was the sweetest discipline I have ever known. In fact it is indescribable unless you have been there yourself.

3. There is great value in learning NOT to depend on ourselves. It takes a weight off our shoulders. It seems to me that is mostly less about relying on ourselves as it is giving up control to God.

4. This giving up of control and self reliance puts our pride out of the picture where it belongs.

5. This makes us better servants becasue it frees us up to experience the true power of God and then we can in turn share our experience of that with others who are struggling in the same areas that we have. We also can approach them with more love, and compassion having been there ourselves. We are much less apt to judge others falsely once we have been through a rough experience ourself.