JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Sealed with the Spirit

It is the Spirit in us who gives us that extra strength, like a foundation of a house, to stand firm in our lives and not be prone to collapse due to storm or change. We can maintain our faith in Christ, whatever comes. God pours his Holy Spirit on us to equip us for service. His Spirit also reminds us that we belong to God (we have a new director in our lives), and lives within us in the deepest part of our being (our hearts) where our values, attitudes will be formed, and ultimately direct our behaviour and actions. The Spirit is God in us, changing us from the inside. This gives us confidence that things have changed forever, and that the salvation Christ has brought to us will never be lost, and one day the fullness of our salvation will be ours.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The presense of the Holy Spirit in our lives signifies that we are firmly found in Christ.

The Holy Spirit unites us with God by anointing us with God's seal of ownership,marking us as God's property.

The promise of future blessing inherent in the Spirit's presense is,we are guaranteed enternal life. The Holy Spirit is a deposit or down payment given to the believer of what is to come. B)

The presence of the Holy Spirit in our lives signifies that we belong to Christ.The Holy Spirit came to glorify Christ. Therefore, if we are filled with the Spirit, then we are abiding in Christ.

By the Holy Spirit God can act on our behalf.

The blessings of the Holy Spirit are:

1)We know who we are in Christ. We belong to Him.

2)Bing able to do his will and to be set apart for service.

3)To be identified with Christ. To be able to walk in the light as Christ is the light of the World.

4)Reward from Christ of eternal life.

Q1. (2 Corinthians 1:21b-22) According to this verse, what does the presence of the Holy Spirit in our lives signify?

Verse 21b says, “Now it is God who makes both us and you stand firm in Christ. He anointed us.” This verse tells the believer that the anointing of the Holy Spirit comes from God and it is He that sets us apart for his service.

How does the Spirit unite us with God?

Verse 22a says that it is God who “set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts.” The Holy Spirit is the identifier that we belong to God. Indeed, Paul writes: “If anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ” (Romans 8:9). We have been sealed by the Holy Spirit which tells us that it is God who owns us through the blood of His Son, Jesus Christ. This makes us authentic, because God has set His seal upon all believers.

What is the promise of future blessing inherent in the Spirit’s presence?

Verse 22b tells us that God “put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.” A deposit, earnest, pledge of “what is to come” is eternal life. Promised to us in John 3:16, For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”

• 5 weeks later...

The presence of the HS in our lives signifies that we are CHOSEN, one of HIS!

It's wonderful to think about how the Spirit interfaces for us - prays on our behalf when we don't know what to say, and speaks to our hearts from God when we cannot hear with our ears.

I also like to think about the DEPOSIT on my life for the future - a future without pain, without sorrow, nor hardships, just enjoying being in the presence of God.

• 3 weeks later...

Q1. (2 Corinthians 1:21b-22) According to this verse, what does the presence of the Holy Spirit in our lives signify? How does the Spirit unite us with God? What is the promise of future blessing inherent in the Spirit’s presence?

The presence of the Holy Spirit in our lives signifies the anointing upon our lives, us belonging to Him and us being separated to do God's will.The spirit unites us with God since it is the identifier that we belong to Christ. The promise of future blessing inherent in the Spirit’s presence is guaranteed eternal life.

Q1. (2 Corinthians 1:21b-22) According to this verse, what does the presence of the Holy Spirit in our lives signify? How does the Spirit unite us with God? What is the promise of future blessing inherent in the Spirit’s presence?

The presence of the Holy Spirit in our lives signifies the anointing upon our lives, us belonging to Him and us being separated to do God's will.The spirit unites us with God since it is the identifier that we belong to Christ. The promise of future blessing inherent in the Spirit’s presence is guaranteed eternal life.

• 4 months later...

1a) The presence of the Holy Spirit in my life signifies that I am in Christ (Established). I am as a believer anointed by Holy Spirit,set apart in service for the Lord Jesus.The Holy Spirit marks me out as a Christ child, Spirit a down payment, pledge guarantee of eternal life to come with God.b The holy spirit, the third member of the Trinity unites us with Jesus and the Father,our own personal interface,connecting point with the Godhead. When we humbly submit to God, repent and commit to follow Christ, we can receive his forgiveness for our sins, we have the promise of salvation now and forever, and feel through His Spirit in us the peace that only God can give.c)The promise of future blesaing inherent in the Spirit’s presence, is that our eternal future is sealed, guarantee of what is to come when Christ comes again and we will be with him for ever,with renewed resurrection bodies, free of sickness disease and pain. Spiritual blessings in the heavenly relm Ephes1:3,Also promise now of personal guidance,comfort and encouragement, for our journey through earthly life.praise God.

• 1 year later...

The presence of the Holy Spirit in our lives signify God's anointing or commissioning as His children and identifies us as His own.  Additionally, the Holy Spirit enables us to stand firm for Christ. 

The placing the Holy Spirit in the heart of the believer serves as the first installment that guarantees everything God has promised us in His word.

• 11 months later...

Q1. (2 Corinthians 1:21b-22) According to this verse, what does the presence of the Holy Spirit in our lives signify? How does the Spirit unite us with God? What is the promise of future blessing inherent in the Spirit’s presence?  http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.pup?showtopic=1074

At the moment of our salvation, God adopts us into His family, gives us His Spirit, anoints us as His and guarantees our future (where we be with Him).  This is so serious to Him that He puts His stamp and seal of approval on us with His Spirit placed in our hearts as His deposit and “the” guarantee/promise.

What me worry?  No, indeed, as God has promised to take on all my anxieties, fears, and nervousness of life onto Him, should I believe in and trust Him that I can rest, be calm and leave everything to Him.  When I believed that and trusted in Him for all His promises, my life changed for the better and His blessings do overwhelm me.

• 3 weeks later...

Lesson 2.1

God anoints us and places his seal upon us to make us his own. The seal is the Holy spirit. In the first century a seal was used to mark the property of the one who had possesion of the seal. The property was marked by the seal and it clearly was owned by the owner of the seal. We are marked by the sacrement of baptism where we are marked the sign of the cross and the laying on of hands. This act of anoiting is an age old custom. We first hear of it in the Old Testament when the prophet Samuel annoited Saul and also David. After the act Saul and David received the Holy Spirit. (1 Samuel 9 and 10)

1. The presence of the Holy Spirit sets us apart for Jesus' service. In other words we are made Holy for Christ and thus belong to Christ and are unified with him through the Holy Spirit.

Iii) The promise of future presence of the Spirit is guaranted by the presence of the spirit. This contradictory but we belong to a paradoxial God where we must always begin at the beginning again. Paul uses the example of commerce to explain. In the first century a first instalment was called an 'earnest' was given as a pledge to make further payment. The Holy Spirit's presence in the world today is a guarantee, an earnest that we will receive more of the Spirit in the future! Is it not to good to be true? 

• 7 months later...

According to verse 2 Corinthians 1:21b - 22 the presence of the Holy Spirit in our lives signifies we are founded in Christ.

The Holy Spirit unites us to Christ by sealing us with his spirit and we are set apart for service in Christ. 

The promise of the future blessing inherent in the spirits presence is our down payment of eternal life with Christ in the Kingdom of God. 

• 8 years later...
On 8/19/2014 at 7:01 AM, dixonle said:

What me worry?  No, indeed, as God has promised to take on all my anxieties, fears, and nervousness of life onto Him, should I believe in and trust Him that I can rest, be calm and leave everything to Him.  When I believed that and trusted in Him for all His promises, my life changed for the better and His blessings do overwhelm me.

I admire this man's sure faith!

----

The verse about the Spirit follows the verses about the dependability of God's promises. The presence of the Spirit, then, may be connected to the idea that God's promises are guaranteed to us because of the Spirit's presence in our hearts. Without the Spirit, God's promises would fall on deaf ears. The fact that I have been anointed by God and His ownership of me is a sealed document GUARANTEES what is to come, which is not only eternal life (which is enough), but in this life, the guarantee that God will answer my plea to have Him honor His promises.

Future blessing may refer to heaven OR it may refer to the fulfilment of the claimed promises.