JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Stress, Pressure, and Growth

I'm sure I will go through times of stress & pressure again and again, we know that suffering is part of our walk with God.

People can see God in us when we respond to our trials in a godly manner. Pain was a necessary ingredient in Jesus' life on earth; pain will be ours too. People will see Jesus in us when we welcome trials and respond the way Jesus did. We will be honored to suffer with Him. We may be really down, but not out--we are not hopeless!

Q4. (2 Corinthians 4:8-12) How does it encourage you to know that Paul went through tremendous stress and pressure? What effect did these sufferings have on the way people could see Christ in Paul? Why is pain necessary to spiritual growth? How does our pain allow others to assess our authenticity as Christians?

It says to me that he got up and went on even though he was under stress and pressure, which is what we, as Christians, should also do...............they could see how a person who was a Christian would react in these times of trouble. If we didn't have pain of some sort, whether physical or mental, etc., we probably would not look to Jesus for His love and help. If others see us suffering in pain, whatever kind it is, and living with and for Christ even though we are hurting, they will see Christ in us and hopefully want this same life.

Q4. (2 Corinthians 4:8-12) How does it encourage you to know that Paul went through tremendous stress and pressure?

It encourages me to This encourages me to persevere, it encourages me knowing that Paul and others went through, not only that they went through but also that they had Help as they went through. That they remained faithful, my prayer is that I am able to do so as well, my trials may never be that in comparison to Paul's and others nevertheless I desire to stand in Christ just as faithfully.

What effect did these sufferings have on the way people could see Christ in Paul?

Paul remained Christ centered, by doing so those whom he encountered saw whom and what he relied on even though he was going through. They saw that he believed if Christ and the gospel of Christ. They saw that his faith in and upon Christ was what he stood on. They saw that he overcame by faith, through faith, with faith and because of faith. The effect it had was that it draw people to Christ and to those who were united with Christ it increased their faith.

Why is pain necessary to spiritual growth?

I don't like the term necessary, hardship sometimes destroys a spirit. Nevertheless character is often strengthened in the crucible of suffering. When pain, trouble, test, trials, or tribulations come our way, our "faith" is put to the test. When the foundations are removed do we flee to the mountains or will we run to the arms of Christ. Pain just as joy has its purpose! Just as Paul stated when he was weak that was when he was strong, the same applies to us, these are the moments where we really allow God to do His wonders, when we have no strength His strengths visibility is seen clearer. God's strong arm of faithfulness is enough to help us withstand any crisis in the process we our faith can be strengthened. "God has many ways that He might use to achieve His ends, but His wisdom determined the best way to accomplish them". Samuel Willard

How does our pain allow others to assess our authenticity as Christians?

just as the people of Paul's day were able to assess his authenticity. The way we live, on whom do we depend, to whom do we turn to, how we behave. It isn't that we are immune to like trials that a non-believer would go through, it is do we turn to, how do we react and respond. As we turn to Christ this allows others to assess our authenticity as Christians. The authenticity isn't seen so much in our pain as it is what keeps us when we encounter pain, trials, tribulation. How do we endure and or overcome this is our testimony of authenticity.

Q4.

(2 Corinthians 4:8-12) How does it encourage you to know that Paul went through tremendous stress and pressure? I know one thing, whatever went on in Paul's life In that span of nothing being written, said or done, Paul new things that were unreal for us to believe. What a man God chose for this part of history; and to think He wrote almost all the new testament. Whatever went on in that quiet was a package full of dynamite that came with Paul . You can't do anything to stop a man on a mission like the Apostle Paul. When some tells you, that they count it worthy to be beaten for Jesus, you can't stop no one like that, my God to them to die is to gain.

What effect did these sufferings have on the way people could see Christ in Paul? Their was no doubt in peoples mind at the end of his missionaries journey, that he was a chosen man of God. What an honor that is and with all the responsibilities that come with it. He had to convince people he had orders to kill, to believe he was one of them now, but God had it all worked out for Paul with a man called Barnabas. What a God we serve, that is why He is all I need, He will never let you down, not one time in my walk with God has He ever let me down, I wish I could say that about myself.

Why is pain necessary to spiritual growth? The walk of a Christian is one that can never stop growing, because if you stop and get satisfied where you are, you will gradually die. This is a walk of life and it can never stop, the growth depends on the person walking, there are no two of us alike and the patterns of growth will be different in everyone, that does not matter, as long as you are growing, that is the key right there (growth).

How does our pain allow others to assess our authenticity as Christians? When Christ told Christians to come unto Him, He was telling them, you are on a journey and this earth is going to fade away, when people start watching your life and you are calling yourself a Christians, you are to be different, that is where so many people have been deceived, if you are no different than them you are a hypocrite, calling yourself a Christians and slopping the hogs sinners. I beg you if you are no different than the sin cursed worldly people, then where is your testimony, what have you overcome, are you walking your talk?? Hm Hm They know people, if you are living a life of sin you will never make it to heaven, you ask why? The Bible would be a lie, if God allowed sin to enter heaven. I pray that you are not taking that broad road that is easy, if you are, you still have time to turn around.

God Bless;

Brother Mike McCue

How does it encourage you to know that Paul went through tremendous stress and pressure? What effect did these sufferings have on the way people could see Christ in Paul? Why is pain necessary to spiritual growth? How does our pain allow others to assess our authenticity as Christians?

1) Paul went through tremendous stress and pressure and overcame it. It encourages me to know that the stress and pressure I go through I too will overcome.

2) The effect these sufferings have on the way people could see Christ in Paul is how he handled it. He never gave up. People were able to see the God in him.

3) Pain is necessary in our spiritual growth to remind us that we need God. If we never went through any sufferings, we will begin to think that we are doing things on our own.

4) The way we respond to our sufferings will show people the Christ in us.

The effect that Paul’s sufferings had on the way people could see Christ in Paul is seeing the punishment that he received and still believed in Jesus Christ. I think that pain is necessary to spiritual growth so that you can talk about how Christ has interceded in your life.

If people see the pain that you are going through and still have the faith, then they will know that you really and truly belief in Jesus Christ.

• 2 weeks later...

I find this tremendously encouraging. Instead of whingeing and complaining how hard his lot is, Paul accepts it as par for the course, and seeks to get on with the job God has given him, expecting God to do what needs to be done, and expecting and content in the fact that Gods life will be shown in the toughest of situations. How different our life can be dependent on our attitude…and expectation. Paul’s attitude gave the opportunity for others to see the Treasure of God within him. In contrast, how often we sit and discuss our woes, and the opportunity for people to see the Lord is passed up.

In difficult circumstances, it is relying on God’s strength and power and knowledge that gets us through. This is what we want to pass on to others, and they will learn it best as they see it in us.

Pain acts as a catalyst to spiritual growth as it forces us to face the reality of being stuck without God. Paradoxically we are truly living when we are dependent on Him. This is how we are created to be, and difficult circumstances provide the opening to practise this when other options are not available. It is here that authentic faith can shine more clearly, without being clouded by using our own resources.

Q4. (2 Corinthians 4:8-12) How does it encourage you to know that Paul went through tremendous stress and pressure? What effect did these sufferings have on the way people could see Christ in Paul? Why is pain necessary to spiritual growth? How does our pain allow others to assess our authenticity as Christians?

Paul's experience is an encouragement to all of us that when we find ourselves in trouble, God will help us to overcome.

People could see that the power and grace of God was suffient to him (Paul) as they saw him overcoming all his troubles.

Our maturity is a measure of how we are able to face challenges and yet overcome all through the power of the Lord God in us. This then enables others to see that we are authentic in our conduct and life.

Paul's experience is an encouragement to all of us that when we find ourselves in trouble, God will help us to overcome.

People could see that the power and grace of God was suffient to him (Paul) as they saw him overcoming all his troubles.

Our maturity is a measure of how we are able to face challenges and yet overcome all through the power of the Lord God in us. This then enables others to see that we are authentic in our conduct and life.

• 2 weeks later...

How does it encourage you to know that Paul went through tremendous stress and pressure?

We are convinced that God will see us overcome with His strength.

What effect did these sufferings have on the way people could see Christ in Paul?

They would wonder the work of Christ whom Paul always professed living in him, was helping him in all ways. And the love for Christ that Paul was serving.

Why is pain necessary to spiritual growth?

Pain in suffering helps us to know the degree of our love so that we will persever growing in the Lord.

How does our pain allow others to assess our authenticity as Christians?

Others assess us by the way we deal with our pain.

• 2 weeks later...

Knowing the tremendous stress and pressure that the Apostle Paul suffered encourages me because he is an example of what it means to suffer for Christ. In the early church, as with us today, people could see Christ in Paul because he exhibited the meekness of the Lord Jesus and did the will of God who sent him. Pain is necessary for spiritual growth as it rids the sould of the stain of sin. The washing away of our sinful nature, many times is painful, but as the blood of Christ cleanses us it become evident to those around us as they begin to see the righteousness of Christ being revealed as we reflect His image. Then and only then would they see the authenticity of Christians.

Knowing the tremendous stress and pressure that the Apostle Paul suffered encourages me because he is an example of what it means to suffer for Christ. In the early church, as with us today, people could see Christ in Paul because he exhibited the meekness of the Lord Jesus and did the will of God who sent him. Pain is necessary for spiritual growth as it rids the sould of the stain of sin. The washing away of our sinful nature, many times is painful, but as the blood of Christ cleanses us it become evident to those around us as they begin to see the righteousness of Christ being revealed as we reflect His image. Then and only then would they see the authenticity of Christians.

• 8 months later...

4a)It encourages me to perseverer &know that my difficulties can be used to work God’s purpose out, helping me to read &absorb scripture more, depend on God more and less on self,as part of my gradual renewing and for others too. B)They could see God’s grace and hope for future eternal and strength for now in Jesus,in my response to momentary difficulties Paul faced. His response proved the genuineness of his trust in the Lord, and revealed Jesus to them..c) Pain causes us to depend on the Lord, seeing & knowing God’s grace, this benefit’s us by renewing us more, increasing our faith, patience and endurance. It also allows God’s grace to reach more people. D)People seeing our pain and our response of dependence onJesus strength & power in it totally, in our words &actions, will see a real living faith.

• 1 year later...

Paul inspires me to keep on keeping on in the Gospel ministry despite stress and pressure from forces opposed to the message.  You cannot be an involved pastor of a church and ministries without encountering stress and pressure when dealing with people and satanic push back. 

Despite stress, pressure, troubles, being hunted, being knocked down, etc., Paul never backed off from preaching and teaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  God empowered Paul to endure and glorify Him.  What a witness to all around him for Jesus Christ.  What an encourage to me as a pastor.

Pain requires endurance; trust; and faith in what you believe. It tests the reality of your faith and trust in God.   In order to understand pain for the faith, it requires one to regularly talk intimately with God.  Pain brings us closer to God and develops our trust and faith in what God is assigning us to do for Him. 

When others see you suffer for the Gospel of Jesus Christ, without backing off or complaining, it serves a witness to the power of God in a person's life.  It validates the Gospel message in that a person is willing place his life in the hands of God for truth's sake and the salvation of souls.  This is authentic faith in God.

• 1 year later...

We are encouraged by the example of Paul's suffering for his faith as much as his spiritual suffering. When we are exposed to struggle, stress, and pain, our inner self is exposed. People can see us for what we are. If we're sniveling cowards, that will become obvious. If we exhibit God's grace under pressure, people will see that as well. When we suffer, people can see Jesus' work within us and will be attracted to the authenticity they see. (notes) God's power was sufficient to see Paul through his difficulties. This is the part that Paul stresses that the source of his strength comes from the grace of God. Paul is just a clay vessel and even when it is cracked the contents of Christ's love shines through in his power and in his glory. The power of God is contained in these clay bodies of ours and we also are able to see the struggle through to the end. 

The Corinthians could see in the sufferings of Paul the suffering of Christ and thus experience in Christ through Paul that Jesus dying was followed by his rising again. because Christ has risen Paul, and we also can walk in the newness of Christ rise. Through Christ we see a new Heaven and a New Earth, the Day of the Lord.

Without pain we do not stop to gaze at and to experience the healing power of the risen Christ.

Others can, as the Corinthians did with Paul, see the risen Christ through our suffering. Thus when we suffer we suffer for the Lord.

We are encouraged by the example of Paul's suffering for his faith as much as his spiritual suffering. When we are exposed to struggle, stress, and pain, our inner self is exposed. People can see us for what we are. If we're sniveling cowards, that will become obvious. If we exhibit God's grace under pressure, people will see that as well. When we suffer, people can see Jesus' work within us and will be attracted to the authenticity they see. (notes) God's power was sufficient to see Paul through his difficulties. This is the part that Paul stresses that the source of his strength comes from the grace of God. Paul is just a clay vessel and even when it is cracked the contents of Christ's love shines through in his power and in his glory. The power of God is contained in these clay bodies of ours and we also are able to see the struggle through to the end. 

The Corinthians could see in the sufferings of Paul the suffering of Christ and thus experience in Christ through Paul that Jesus dying was followed by his rising again. because Christ has risen Paul, and we also can walk in the newness of Christ rise. Through Christ we see a new Heaven and a New Earth, the Day of the Lord.

Without pain we do not stop to gaze at and to experience the healing power of the risen Christ.

Others can, as the Corinthians did with Paul, see the risen Christ through our suffering. Thus when we suffer we suffer for the Lord.

• 7 months later...

It should be encouraging for us to know how much stress and pressure Paul the apostle went through to bring the gospel to the gentiles. It is almost inconceivable how much he went through, but always let God's glory shine forth through in his life. With all our modern conveniences we should be appreciative of the fortitude of the church early fathers. With the exception of the 3rd world countries, our suffering to bring Christ to non believers should be an enlightenment of what we could go through.

The people where Paul brought the gospel no doubt showed forth the love and devotion to the God in whom he preached. Surely, hearing and knowing of his trails and persecutions to his life, there was no doubt that God was with him.

Pain is useful to our spiritual life because it causes and helps us to rely on God's power and purpose in our lives.

The pain we suffer lets other people know that we are relying on God for our survival and the ability to spread his gospel. Only through the truth of the word and belief can we continue to do the Lords work.      

• 8 years later...

Often, God seems to pull away just when He's needed. His peace is elusive.

What Paul is saying (to me) in these word pairs is that I won't be crushed, I don't need to despair, God will not leave me (though it feels as if He has), and I will not be destroyed. The truth, though, is different -- I have been crushed, do despair, and fear being destroyed. I pray that this changes.

Unfortunately, this verse tends to make me think that what I'm going through will happen again, perhaps repeatedly. By v10, I know that I'll ALWAYS carry in my body the death of Jesus. Paul says I carry His death! In vv 11, 12 Paul even makes it seem like he is suffering so other people don't have to: "death is at work in us so that life is at work in you." 

Suffering seems to be Paul's witness. It validates his apostleship.

Though some people don't make it through suffering and either commit suicide or abandon their faith, I will make it by His grace. But I won't be the same woman. The scars are too thick ... wounds, too deep, and are impossible to hide. I hope and pray that others see Christ in me in spite of the damage which would make suffering worthy to Him. 

It is NOT an encouragement to know that Paul was tortured, suffered, and eventually murdered; imprisoned without hope and then executed. That's his story. And, that was the same life story of all the apostles, except John. All were brutally murdered. Obviously crushed. 

These verses terrify me. I no longer feel I can pray for an end to the suffering. 

--

Yes, inexplicably, suffering has brought me closer to Him. Anguish had made me seek a salve. Darkness made me seek light. Unanswerable pain made me more sensitive to the potential sound of release ... is He coming to save me ... do I hear the rustling of His feet?

Yes, suffering has been good for my spiritual growth. It's caused me not only to dig into scriptures and read bios of people who have made it through times of horrible trials, but has also caused me to pray as I've never prayed in the past. Prevailing prayer. Desperate pleas for deliverance.

I have no idea if my suffering has helped or inspired others. Perhaps it has. If so, I thank God for this.

I am reading David's words in the Psalms through new eyes. Poor David, hiding in caves, surely felt abandoned by God -- I have felt this, too. When I read the story of Joseph, I am amazed he endured a decade of being falsely accused and imprisoned because his own brothers wanted to kill him.

I pray more suffering doesn't happen to me, or YOU, but it seems to be God's way of doing things. 

Oh, Jesus, please make sanctification less painful going forward.