JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Tents vs. Houses

Our physical bodies are a tabernacle where the Holy Spirit dwells on earth. Yahweh gave us the perfect picture of this when He ordained the tabernacle (tent of meeting) carried by the Hebrews in the wilderness. It was intended and designed to be temporary. It provided the place for God to meet with His people in their midst as they journeyed along the way to the permanent home He had promised and prepared for them. This would then be the place where He ordained the stationary and glorious structure of the temple. The parallel is clear. God’s Spirit indwells us as His tabernacle in this age of grace as we sojourn through the temporal life on earth. When He brings us into our everlasting home of heaven, that outer “tent of meeting” will be destroyed (in physical death).

A true focus with joyful expectation (hope!) of our “house not made with hands” will keep our perspective right. This life on earth is not all there is; it’s actually just a blip on the radar screen of our eternal existence. We must be deliberate about what we’re living for.

Q1. (2 Corinthians 5:1-5) In what sense are our bodies like tents?

Our bodies are like tents, vessels that can be easily broken, destroyed.

If we were to truly look forward to our "house not made with hands," how would it affect our daily lives here?

The affect it should have on our lives is that no matter what suffering we may have to face on this earth, because of our faith in the Messiah of Israel, we will not lose heart, for we look forward to the day when we will have resurrected bodies, that is, for those who stay in faith. :unsure:

In what sense are our bodies like tents? If we were to truly look forward to our “house not made with hands,” how would it affect our daily lives here?

1) Our bodies are like tents because they are temporary.

2) To truly look forward to our "house not made with hands," we would strive to live each day like Christ has intended. Knowing that one day we will move from the tent to a house that is designed to last forever should give us great courage and patience to endure to anything we might experience.

The sense that our bodies are like tents is that when we die they decay and go away. So that makes our bodies only a temporary place to stay like a tent. I think that we were to truly look forward to our “house not made with hands”, and then we wouldn’t let this worldly thing really get to us. We would be more relaxed and not try to challenge a lot of things that we do.

Our bodies are compared to tents because they are perishable; there here for just a short while (a wave in the ocean, a vapor). If we truly considered 'our house not made by hands' we would be relatively unconcerned with the burdens of everyday life. We would be far more concerned with the great commission than all other things put together. What a great day that will be when I don't have to direct my energy to kill my own will, but only be concerned with heavenly things!

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. (2 Corinthians 5:1-5) In what sense are our bodies like tents? If we were to truly look forward to our “house not made with hands,” how would it affect our daily lives here?

Our bodies are like tents because they are not permanent. Just like a tent blows away with one big, strong gust of wind. If we are not anchored in faith, one disappointment can cause us to fall from grace. I think if we truly did look toward our 'house not made with hands', it would make us not afraid to face death. And, maybe like some Christian people I have known, be more willing to face death and not be afraid to die when the time comes.

Q1. (2 Corinthians 5:1-5) In what sense are our bodies like tents? If we were to truly look forward to our “house not made with hands,” how would it affect our daily lives here?

by comparing our physical bodies to tents means that they will not last here on earth for ever. They will be changed to our eternal bodies that will last for ever in eternity.

If we were to truly look forward to our "house not made with hands" we will have the expectaions of the heavenly things above. This will make us focus our lives here on earth more on things that will glorify God and prepare us for eternity.

Our bodies are like tents in the sense that they are only a temporary dwelling place for our spirit.

if we truly looked forward to our "house made without hands" or our resurrected body, we would be less likely to worry about our mortal body aging and eventually dying.

Our bodies are like tents because they are designed for a traveller, one who is visiting earth, but who has a permanent home elsewhere, in heaven. They will one day wear out as they are made of perishable material. They will be dismantled and cast aside permanently when we die. If we truly looked forward each day to our “house not made with hands”, it would affect our perspective and values here. We would spend more time thinking ahead and anticipating the joys of heaven, and we would be more aware that earthly things are transient, so we need to have our hearts set on what will last forever. Our values would be different, and the things we give our time and attention to would be different. God’s will would be our goal, not living to satisfy ourselves.

Q1. (2 Corinthians 5:1-5)

In what sense are our bodies like tents? If we were to truly look forward to our “house not made with hands,” how would it affect our daily lives here?

In what sense are our bodies like tents?

Our bodies are like tents because they are movable. Our body does not stick onto one place only because we travel.

If we were to truly look forward to our “house not made with hands,” how would it affect our daily lives here?

Our focus will be more changed towards the Maker of our Eternal Home.

• 2 months later...

Our bodies are like tents in the sense of it being a temporary dwelling place, it is the mortal . If we were to truly look forward to our "house not made with hands," in our daily lives here on earth we would be anxious for what is to come while at the same time understanding the fraility of our present dwelling, the mortal housing we live in.

• 6 months later...

6a)Our physical bodies perish/break down, not made to be permanent, easily broken into and can be moved like a tent.b)As believers, the HS is God himself living in us, he reminds us that he will equip us now &we can look forward to our resurrection bodies in heaven, the eternal hope we have, where all sicknss,disease and pain is swallowed up,This strengthens me to handle trials faced now with his power.We would be less concerned about unimportant things, live as an ambassador with promise of hope for future.

• 1 year later...

If we were to truly look forward to our house not made with hands we would be intentionally focused in preparing for our new home and encouraging others to do the same.  Our lives would reflect the effort.

We would be more focused more on heavenly things and less on the world.

• 11 months later...

Our bodies are like tents in that both are only temporary. Our bodies are only clay pots that house the treasures embodied by the Spirit. When our pots are broken and no longer use able they are discarded like old or broken tents and we move on to more durable and permanent lodgings where we are accompanied by the Holy Spirit.

Our lives would be directed by the Spirit. To day I was going to visit a sick friend when, out of the blue l thought " you should visit aunt Jean. "When l got to the hospital my cousin was met she was distraught. "How am I to get this wheel chair to the home." "I got a truck here"l said. Was this not the Spirit?

• 7 months later...

Our bodies are like tents, because they are only a temporary abode for our spirit. A tent last only for awhile and taken down because it has no more use.

To look forward to a house not built with human hands would indeed be a wonder. We find ourselves daily wondering what it might look like as compared to a temporary tent. 

• 8 years later...

When I was young, life stretched out in front of me with all sorts of tantalizing possibilities, but as I aged, those possibilities narrowed. I think this is God's will. He's narrows the way we think until we see ourselves as a speck within eternity. What used to seem permanent was really just a tent -- a temporary structure; what I really wanted, but didn't often realize, was a "house made not with hands." 

I'm looking forward to eternity. Though I'm relatively young, life has been very hard. I'm ready to go to Jesus, to a place which will surely be joy-filled. I'm ready to exchange temporal for eternal, tent for permanent dwelling, and suffering for joy.

Yes, my daily life has changed. I spend far more time thinking of Him and much, much less time plotting my next big earthly conquest. I'm less driven. Less motivated to accomplish the goals I used to think were so important. I'm more interested in forming friendships with Christians, to do little things, to lead people to Christ, and to help my father die.