JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. At Home with the Lord

How do Paul’s words comfort you when you consider your death? What do Christians believe happens when we die? What will happen to us if we die before Christ returns? What will happen to us when Christ returns?

1) Paul's words comfort me when I consider death because I know that I will be spending eternity with the Lord

2) Christians believe when we die our spirit immediately does to be with the Lord.

3) If we die before Christ's return our spirit will go to be with Him until resurrection day.

4) When Christ returns those who are dead shall rise up first and those who are alive shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air.

The way that Paul’s words comfort me when I consider my death is that I know that I will be with the Lord when I die. My soul will depart from the body when it dies and will be with the Lord.

The thing that happens if I die before Christ is that my soul will be with Him and then I will be resurrected when the Lord returns.

• 2 weeks later...

Q2. (2 Corinthians 5:6-8) How do Paul’s words comfort you when you consider your death? What do Christians believe happens when we die? What will happen to us if we die before Christ returns? What will happen to us when Christ returns?

I believe that when we die our spirits go up to be with Jesus. That we get to be with Him in heaven and there are no more tears, no more suffering, no more pain to endure. This is what happens if we die before Christ returns. If Christ returns first, we will see Him descend and be caught up with Him in the clouds.

Q2. (2 Corinthians 5:6-8) How do Paul’s words comfort you when you consider your death? What do Christians believe happens when we die? What will happen to us if we die before Christ returns? What will happen to us when Christ returns?

There is much more after death. Death is not to be feared because when we die, our spirit goes to be with God. There we will not die again but live to enjoy fellowship with God.

Christians believe in the resurrection of the dead wehn the Lord Jesus comes to take us to be with him forever.

Paul's words comfort me when I consider my death because,as a Christian, I know i will immediately be in the presence of the Lord.

When Christians die,we go instantly to heaven to be with our Lord.

If we die before Christ returns,are spirit goes to heaven to be with Him.

When Christ returns,those who are alive will meet Him in the air,while those who have died will be reunited with their resurrected bodies.

Paul’s words are a comfort as we know there is something far better awaiting us after death. Death is not the end, it is the gateway into the eternal life God has prepared for us. And the best thing about that will be the Lord’s presence. We will be with the One who loves us far more than we can ever imagine, who has planned for us in live before time itself, and who will continue to show us his love throughout the ages of eternity. He is our true and permanent home, we will truly feel “at home” with him. When we die, our soul and spirit enjoy being in the presence of God, while our earthly body decays in the ground. But one day when Jesus returns to earth, we will be given a new resurrection body (1 Cor 15: 52-54).

Q2. (2 Corinthians 5:6-8)

How do Paul’s words comfort you when you consider your death? What do Christians believe happens when we die? What will happen to us if we die before Christ returns? What will happen to us when Christ returns?

How do Paul’s words comfort you when you consider your death?

Death is only a transition. Then enter eternity to be with our Saviour, a place far much better than this world.

What do Christians believe happens when we die?

We all will be like Christ.

What will happen to us if we die before Christ returns?

We in the spirit will be with our Lord but our bodies will return to the earth.

What will happen to us when Christ returns?

We who are dead shall rise up first and those who are alive shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air.

• 2 months later...

Q2. (2 Corinthians 5:6-8) How do Paul’s words comfort you when you consider your death?

Paul’s words comfort me when I consider death because I have confidence that when I die I will immediately be with the Lord.

What do Christians believe happens when we die?

Christians believe that when they die they are immediately in the presence of the Lord.

What will happen to us if we die before Christ returns?

If we die before Christ returns, our spirit immediately goes to be with the Lord.

What will happen to us when Christ returns?

When Christ returns, those of us who are alive will join the others who died and are in the presence of the Lord.

• 6 months later...

2a) It is comforting to know when we die we will be changed in a twinkling of an eye, our souls are away from the human body and we will be with God. B)Christians believe we are saved from hell through Jesus sacrifice on cross,freeing us power of sin & death. When we die our spirit immediately goes to be in fellowship with God for eternity.c)If we die before Christ return, as believers, our souls will be with God in heaven, each given a white robe Revelation 6:9 D)When Christ returns,we will see him descend from heaven with sound of the trumpet of God, those who are alive will meet him in the air/clouds. God will bring with him first those who have fallen asleep/dead in Christ, imperishable, changed, they will rise first and they will be reunited with their resurrection bodies, with much praising.

• 1 year later...

It's exciting to know that to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord.  I see death in Christ as the next great adventure. 

Christians believe that when we die we exist in the presence of the Lord Jesus Christ in paradise before He returns. If the believer is still living upon Jesus' second coming, he will gather them to himself in the sky.

• 10 months later...

I don't want to go all scientific here, but I believe that Heaven is in another dimension. Heavenly time and earthly time are not co-current. In both the Old and New Testaments we're taught that a day is like unto a thousand years, and a thousand years like unto a day, to The Lord. That's the clue right there. In earthly time we sleep in the ground until Christ's return. In Heavenly time we're changed in the blink of an eye.

Jesus, on the cross, gave us more than one clue. The statement to the thief next to him . . and the climactic "It is finished". We can draw from that emphatic statement a number of conclusions. The one I'm referring to here is that His redemptive work and God's plan to redeem a fallen mankind were completed that day. Satan had been defeated. Paul describes how Jesus has already led His captives "in Christ" as a public demonstration to the heavenly powers that He has defeated sin and death.

Those things have already happened in the Heavenly time frame. Yet on earth they haven't.

In our earthly time frame the thief on the cross is still in his grave. In heavenly time he's already there! Jesus told him that would be the case.

Our Seventh Day Adventist brothers and sisters aren't completely wrong in their interpretation. We will be given rest from our labors, along with the others who've died prior to Christ's return and the bodily resurrection of the dead, but I don't think we'll sleep through it in the interim. Pastor Ralph made that clear.

• 1 month later...

I am really heartened and encouraged by the teaching here in the notes "when you die, your spirit immediately goes to be with God. It is with him that you will enjoy the time between your death and the resurrection.: and in Philippians 1:22-24 which I encountered in the Philippians course by Dr. Ralph.

Christians are promised that they will go to be with Christ, the Father and the Spirit when we die. 

This same answer applies to the last three questions!

• 7 months later...

Paul's words console us when we consider death, because he stated, "to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord". Also, when Christ returns those who died will be reunited with their bodies and those alive will be changed in the twinkling of the eye, their bodies will be changed into a body of glory.

Christians believe that when they die they will be immediately present with the Lord.

If we die before the Lord returns, we will be present with him in heaven.

When Christ returns those who are dead in Christ will rise first and those alive will be changed in the twinkling of an eye.

• 8 years later...

I've thought quite a bit about death lately, both my own and that of my father who is nearly 96 years of age, an atheist and dying. I shouldn't say he's a strict atheist for just a few weeks ago, he told me he was a hesitant theist. Progress!

• I'm comforted by the thought of death. It will be the end of my pain-filled life.
  • My father believes he "turns to dust like any other animal," so, strangely, he's not worried about death at all. Many of us assume non-believers are concerned about their eternal future; this is not always the case. (As an aside, the fact that most atheists do not believe in eternal damnation suggests that our evangelistic strategy should, perhaps, not include the statement, "If you were to die today, do you know if you'd go to heaven or hell?")

To be honest, I don't understand what happens after I die, the sequence of events, waiting periods, etc. I just know that it's better than life and eventually I'll be reunited with Jesus. My faith in Him is secure. My trust in what He's planned for Christians is complete. That's enough for me to look forward to death.