JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. The Battle Is the Lord's

So often we forget that "the battle is the Lord's" because we tend to trust in our own strength.

What this phrase actually means is, God will act on our behalf,providing we place our trust in Him and are obedient to His voice.

We can avoid the arrogance of pulling God into our battles, rather than engaging in His battles by learning to trust in God's strength rather than our own strength. ;)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (1 Samuel 17:47) Why do we so often forget that “the battle is the Lord’s”? What does that phrase actually mean? How can we avoid the arrogance of pulling God into our battles (“God is on my side”), rather than engaging in His battles (“I am on God’s side”)?

We forget since we hear and believe that it is "our" strength is stronger than God's. Actually we are to suit up and show up and let God do the rest-not in our strength. God does not enter in an arrognant's person battle so we must constantly repent and listen to God.

• 1 month later...

Q3. (1 Samuel 17:47) Why do we so often forget that “the battle is the Lord’s”? What does that phrase actually mean? How can we avoid the arrogance of pulling God into our battles (“God is on my side”), rather than engaging in His battles (“I am on God’s side”)?

a) We forget the battle is the Lords. To often we fail to turn to the Lord, fail to show

our faith in Him. To often we trust our own strength instead of the Lord's when we feel

our pleas have not been answered.

B) God will act on our behalf if we trust in Him, and are obediet to His word.

c) First we must remember the Lord, have faith in him and follow in obedience

to Him.and his word. Open our hearts and listen to the Lord, We need to let our

faith be over our fears. Place the Lord first, instead of our needs in lifes

battles, and He will be there to aid us in our time of need.

• 4 weeks later...

Trusting God and letting His will be done is what this is all about. The Psalms continually tell us to call upon Him, trust Hi, and wait upon Him. He knew us when we wee in our mother's womb. He know everything. This is amazing and is not logical or worldly. God grows us as we learn more about His unfailing promise and unfailing love. God has put us in a path to have experiences and learn to trust Him. All that is happening in ou lives today. Our best choice is to learn to trust and to pray more.

• 3 weeks later...

"We forget that the battle is the Lord's", this means that we forget that we are acting on behalf of God in all situations and not the other way around!

We should keep focus on the word and draw closer to God and in that way we can constantly be alert that all situations,where there good or bad, they are the Lord's battles and we are his soldiers!!

• 1 month later...

3a)We often think that the battle is ours, and serve &act trusting in our own strength. We forget God is sovereign and will act on our behalf when we put our trust in Him and believe in Him, and not anything/anyone else.

b)The phrase the battle is the Lord’s means God is with us to fight all our battles, as we are obedient to Him, and trust.

c) We can avoid arrogance of pulling God onto my side, to fight my batlles, rather than engaging in his battles,being His agents, by stepping aside, and humbling recognising it is His world, putting everything into his hands,he’s the potter, were the clay, putting on full armour, being prepared spiritually,allowing him to protect us, and bring us through the battles, whether of health, work etc casting our cares on Him,

• 8 months later...

Q3. (1 Samuel 17:47) Why do we so often forget that “the battle is the Lord’s”? What does that phrase actually mean?

I think we too often subscribe to the notion that we are in control and outcomes depend on our will and not the Lord's.  Life is a spiritual balltle so ultimately, the battle is the Lord's.

How can we avoid the arrogance of pulling God into our battles (“God is on my side”), rather than engaging in His battles (“I am on God’s side”)?         

We can avoid arrogance by humbling ourself to His will and not ours.  If we strive to live like Jesus we will let the Holy Spirit clear our path (while we are on Good's path) and vanquish our enemies.

• 10 months later...

Why do we so often forget the the battle is the Lords - Because most of us want recognition for winning the battle, same as with our blessings we want recognition for accomplising it ourselves.

The battle is the Lords - means exactly what it says but it only works if you believe, and trust that it will.

Avoiding the arrogance of pulling God into our battles - For me this is really hard because sometimes I want to battle things out with my husband, my children or employers when God really wants me to sit down and be quiet.  Learning how to wait on the Lord is a skill that is only learned by praying and studying His word as much as possible.  Evidently I need more studying and praying

• 2 months later...

(1 Samuel 17:47) Why do we so often forget that "the battle is the Lord's"? What does that phrase actually mean? How can we avoid the arrogance of pulling God into our battles ("God is on my side"), rather than engaging in His battles ("I am on God's side")?

We get so caught up in trying to do everything ourselves, we forget that He is the one in control of our lives. There is nothing that happens that He is not aware of.  Everything is His, including every battle ever waged.  If we remember each day to offer ourselves to His work, He will use us to accomplish His purposes. 

• 2 months later...

The battle is the Lord's attests to His power and might. He can do anything. He will fight for His purpose in our lives. it is not up to us to fight but to station ourselves (stand, be steadfast) and see Him fight on our behalf.

It is important that we stay in prayer daily so that we know which battles we are assigned to. We must not get ahead of God but stay focused on Him in all we do. Ask God to reveal His plan and even the minor details of life and He will. Jer. 33:3 Call unto me and I will answer and tell you great and mighty things you do not know.

• 7 months later...

We tend to trust in our own strength in most thing instead of trusting in our God.

We forget sometimes, that our heavenly father is always there for his children.

We should stand with our God for it is in him we should trust always to be there for us.

Listening to his voice & remembering to be obedient to him always.

The power of God is in every battle we face, we stand on Gods side as he stands with us.

• 1 year later...

(1 Samuel 17:47) Why do we so often forget that "the battle is the Lord's"? What does that phrase actually mean? How can we avoid the arrogance of pulling God into our battles ("God is on my side"), rather than engaging in His battles ("I am on God's side")?

We forget the battle is the Lords because we are in the heat of battle, trying to plan, think ahead, recover, move, etc...never giving the battle to God.  We think we know how to win.  

If it is going against God and His kingdom, He will fight the battle..we need to stand.

WE need to align ourselves with God's kingdom..seek first.  If we do that we can engage in His battles, otherwise we are fighting our own futile wars

• 3 years later...

1. Personally, I think because he is not tangibly in front of me and often I am quick to "react". So when I am in a reactive mode, I have not thought to stop and bring God in to my situation.
  2. It means I do not need to take matters into my own hands, that if God wants something for me and their is an obstacle in my way, then I can go to him to provide the win.
  3. Stopping to think and evaluate the situation at hand. What are the things that are in my hands that God needs me to do and what things do I  need to put in Gods hands.

• 1 month later...

I truly wrestle with this one.  At times I feel that I am listening to the spirit and engaging in Gods plan and not my own. At other times I feel I am just the arm of flesh going though the motions. I know the key here is to recognize when I am in fellowship and when I'm not. Thank God I have His word which cuts though my thoughts and helps me to hear His voice.
All my heart, soul , mind and strength....Love breeding confidence breeding faith. No carnal mind can hold a match to it.

• 1 month later...

I personally forget that the battle is the Lord’s battle because I think “my” battles are way too trivial to annoy Him. I think I must work hard and don’t fuss to... not to disturb Him, I guess. Working hard is sort of minimum of what you can do as a human being.

I know this is very human and doesn’t make any sense with anything is the Bible, but still it’s very hard for me to change the habit. I don’t feel problems in asking for His presence, for wisdom and teaching, for relieve from suffering and for protection... but asking for something else is a taboo for me.

The good side of this is that I never pull God in my human battles. I’ve learned over the years that even when you think you are in a good battle, the Lord’s way to lead it is subtly genious and anyway different than yours. We are like pebbles, He’s like the wind.

Plus Europe has a bloody history made of centuries of religion wars. Over the ages we killed each other for whatever religious related reasons, even the most stupid. We even have a period called “100 years war”... last, but not least, Nazis had a “Got mit Uns” ( God is with us) on their belt.

Even in this recent days, many politicians use the idea of God to move battle against other human beings: minorities, poor, other ethnicities, other religions.

I’m sick of it all. So I’m deeply scared to think I can make a link between my battles and the name of God.

• 2 years later...

We live in 'time' and God does not. He is all knowing and omnipresent. God has explained to us through his word that his divine plan is being executed, so all divine battles are his battles. Our task is to listen and obey and if we do that then God is fighting all the battles and using us for his purposes. 

If we fight for ourselves, or even try and enlist God in our own chosen battles we are not being obedient to him and are in fact being rebellious, serving ourselves or a false god. So even with good meaning we must be sure to remember that in all things and in all ways we must put God first. He is number 1 always!  

• 3 months later...

3. (1 Samuel 17:47)

Why do we so often forget that "the battle is the Lord's"?

What does that phrase actually mean?

How can we avoid the arrogance of pulling God into our battles ("God is on my side"), rather than engaging in His battles ("I am on God's side")?

The action is in the here and now, it is all around us and so it seems like the forces are all against oneself.  Taking a moment to reflect and we realize that it is not really against the outside/physical us, but actually against the inner man. breaking apart the inner us, the morale , crippling us so that we have no hope, so that we are dejected, depressed and cannot function.  If we hand over to the Lord, the burden is lifted it no longer rests on our shoulders. The decision is God's, we need to follow.  Then we find that the battle is the Lord's. It is a spiritual battle.  That is when we can rest assured we are on God's side.  Then we have security and peace within the battle.

David is drawing from promises found within the Mosaic Law (Deuteronomy 20:1 = When you go to war against your enemies and see horses and chariots and an army greater than yours, do not be afraid of them, because the LORD your God, who brought you up out of Egypt, will be with you.
Let God fight your battles.

David is drawing from promises found within the Mosaic Law (Deuteronomy 20:1 = When you go to war against your enemies and see horses and chariots and an army greater than yours, do not be afraid of them, because the LORD your God, who brought you up out of Egypt, will be with you.
Let God fight your battles