JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Wilderness Psalms

Q4. (Psalms 18, 34, 54, 56, 58, 59, 142) In these ascriptions to these psalms, how many celebrate happy occasions? How many arise from struggles? What does this tell you about David’s relationship with God? What does this tell you about his faith during trials? Which is your favorite among these psalms? Why?

The songs are bittersweet, they speak of trouble, but also of great joy in the comfort of God. All are a celebration of God's sovereign power and greatness. They all arise from trouble but find their Joy in God's strength. That's amazing!!!

Whether it be struggle against his enemies, his sin, or his own conscience. David struggles are not merely physical but he also struggles against the evil of sin in his life. As betrayed in his Psalm 51, David clearly is struggling with sin and his conscience. He HUMBLY admits he has sinned SOLELY against God. God has taken his offense with Bathsheba and David's murderous heart in the case of Uriah(Bathsheba husband) to heart and David knows he has hurt God, and ask for God's forgiveness. Repentance and forgiveness and God's faith to those who love him become the theme of Psalm 51. In all these Psalms there is one constant theme of Love and great faith, God clearly loves David, He is a faithful God. And David is faithful and loves God with all his heart, though he is by no means perfect, and has sinned greatly.Through all these particular Psalms, one thing is very evident. Davids faith never falters, and he always runs to God for refuge no matter what the problem is, whether the problem is sin or refuge from his enemies,it is clear that David's heart is with God. Because God knows David's heart, God's faith always forgives and sustains David. It is clearly a heart' issue. David's heart is with God and God's heart is with David.

I love all the Psalms , if I had to choose a favorite out of these it would be Psalm 51. Because it attest to God's faithfulness to those who love him. David admits his sin and takes full responsibility and tells God he is human and sinful,he humbles himself before God and CRIES OUT from the depth of his heart for forgiveness. He offers God his repentance and trust in God's forgiveness. God sovereign superiority cannot be overcome by mere human sinful nature. David knows God is all powerful, all consuming and all present. To those whose faith does not falter, God offers his forgiveness, He offers His heart. He is a faithful God. He is the strong tower to those who trust in Him..it attest to the both the power and love and forgiveness, faithfulness of both God and David.All the psalms attest to God's all consuming, sovereign power to destroy our enemies, protect us from evil, to guide us into righteousness, to forgive,and to love, and to the POWER of our faith in He who created us!!! God wants our hearts!

In these ascriptions to these psalms, how many celebrate happy occasions? How many arise from struggles? What does this tell you about David’s relationship with God? What does this tell you about his faith during trials? Which is your favorite among these psalms? Why?

All but one seem to have been of struggles. I think that even in the struggles David was able to celebrate happiness. David's relationship with God was very close. God stated that David was a man after his own heart. David's faith was very strong. He believed and trusted in God. I think Ps. 18 is my favorite. This is the Psalm that celebrated a happy occasion. David had been delivered from Saul and he showed his appreciation thru praise and worship.

Q4. (Psalms 18, 34, 54, 56, 58, 59, 142) In these ascriptions to these psalms, how many celebrate happy occasions? How many arise from struggles? What does this tell you about David’s relationship with God? What does this tell you about his faith during trials? Which is your favorite among these psalms? Why?

I believe 2 celebrate a happy occasion and the rest arise from struggles. David knew the Lord and trusted him realizing were his help comes from. Truly he was a man of faith in order to stay connected during these trials of life even when he seemed overtaken by them God delivered him. Psalms 34 because It reminds me that regardless of what one may encounter if you trust and believe in God He will deliver you from your enemies.

All the Pslams tells us we can overcome by calling on God in our trials and troubles.All have happy endings if we go to God when we have trials.

David always knew he could call upon the Lord and He would see him through all trials he was going throuh. David faced death many times and he knew that his faith was strong enough to get him through each trouble he faced because of his love for the Lord.

I love all of Pslams but out of these Pslams 34 because God hears all who call on Him. If God offers help or escape you can be certain He always acts on behalf on the ones who love him.

All the Pslams tells us we can overcome by calling on God in our trials and troubles.All have happy endings if we go to God when we have trials.

David always knew he could call upon the Lord and He would see him through all trials he was going throuh. David faced death many times and he knew that his faith was strong enough to get him through each trouble he faced because of his love for the Lord.

I love all of Pslams but out of these Pslams 34 because God hears all who call on Him. If God offers help or escape you can be certain He always acts on behalf on the ones who love him.

Q4. (Psalms 18, 34, 54, 56, 58, 59, 142) In these ascriptions to these psalms, how many celebrate happy occasions? How many arise from struggles? What does this tell you about David's relationship with God? What does this tell you about his faith during trials? Which is your favorite among these psalms? Why?

Only 1 celebrate a happy occasion. Six of them arise from struggles. David must have known that what he was doing and how he was acting against Saul was correct with God. I'm sure that David was weary and starting to question himself and his actions. After so long of fighting the fight one questions their motive and if what they were doing was justified surely it would have been resolved quickly. David ran the race. David's faith hung in there during his trials.

My favorite psalms is 58. It is short and concise. The intent is obvious. It hits home when he says “these men are born sinners, lying from their earliest words”. So true. What is truth in this world? The truth can be written many ways. People can learn how to tell the truth and it would be a lie to God. A high dollar attorney is a good example. How can they be proud of what they do? But, David says to tear their teeth out and to disappear into the dry thirsty ground. He wants them gone. Unfortunately there is always another to replace them.

(Psalms 18, 34, 54, 56, 58, 59, 142) In these ascriptions to these psalms, how many celebrate happy occasions? How many arise from struggles? What does this tell you about David's relationship with God? What does this tell you about his faith during trials? Which is your favorite among these psalms? Why?

All of the psalms arise from David's struggles, helplessness and fears. However, in the end, it speaks of righteousness, comfort, deliverance and triumph. This is because David walked with God at all times. He depended solely on God. He knew that apart from God, he could do nothing. I love both Psalms 18 and 34. Psalm for the promise that I am more than a conqueror and nothing is impossible when I put my trust in Him and Psalm 34 for the promise that He delivers me from fear. Many years ago I was plaqued by the spirit of fear when a fellow christian told me something bad about my child. The fear stayed with me for about 4 years and everyday I claimed the promise in Psalm 34.

With God in my life God sees your struggle and awaits an invitation and when asked he steps in he works and supplies the need. David was a man who walked in God's footsteps so he had a close relationship with the Father. Psalm 127

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Q4. (Psalms 18, 34, 54, 56, 58, 59, 142)

In these ascriptions to these psalms, how many celebrate happy occasions?

How many arise from struggles?

What does this tell you about David’s relationship with God?

What does this tell you about his faith during trials?

Which is your favorite among these psalms? Why?

a. None, most were written when David needed help, even though they are all

songs of praise to God, and David's belief in God.

b. They all arise from struggle.

c. David calls God his rock, his strength, Redeemer, and vindicater. He believed

that God was worthy of all honor and glory.

d. David praised God, giving him all the glory and praise in all of his difficulties.

David knew God was with him at all times, and loved him.

e. Psalms 56: it shows how strong Davids faith is in God, and how he gives

God all the credit, glory and honor.

• 2 months later...

4a)&b)All arise out of struggles, physical, mental, emotional, faith testing etc

B) David would have grown close to God through these trials, as he depended on him daily.all the others from all the trails and struggles he faced.

c) His faith was tested, but strong.

d)Psalm 139 reminding me how much he knows me&cares for me.

• 4 years later...

just one, Psalm 18.
All of the rest and even Psalm 18 has some indications off strife.
David communed with God in all situations. 
I particularly like Psalm 18 for it shows the joy which David has in the Lord.
  •  

• 6 years later...

Q4. (Psalms 18, 34, 54, 56, 58, 59, 142)

In these ascriptions to these psalms, how many celebrate happy occasions?

How many arise from struggles?

What does this tell you about David's relationship with God?

What does this tell you about his faith during trials? 

Which is your favorite among these psalms? Why?     I still need to get to the point where I love and appreciate and understand poetry.  Bits and pieces I can appreciate and they speak to me and warm my heart.   Ps 56:11   In God have I put my trust and confident reliance;  I will not be afraid;   what can man do to me?

They all basically recollect where and when  David was in trouble and how, God, being his rock, defended him,  or where David calls out to God to defend him.  David lifts His Name high. He praises Him, during and after the problem.  He is not blind or immune to the fact that his needs are met or will be met by God.  

David trusted God completely and with all that he had. He relied on Him for guidance.   He truly could trust no man,  no matter what he did for them.   During trials he knew that God would shield him and be a place of refuge.   

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q4. Wilderness Psalms